Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So my wife wants to ditch the microwave above the stove after all. Anyone have any good suggestions for kitchen hoods/anything I should know before searching for one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So my wife wants to ditch the microwave above the stove after all. Anyone have any good suggestions for kitchen hoods/anything I should know before searching for one?

Literally doing this exact same thing right now. I can't say much about brands, but Zephyr and Wolf were both recommended to us by contractors who weren't selling them so we started there. As for specs, the two main ones are the fan CFM and noise level (in Sones, lower is quieter). Assuming you have a gas top you want 100cfm per 10k BTU to size it, and there are minimum duct diameters needed depending on what you get. There are 3 or 4 different filter types, but baffles were recommended by everyone we talk to as best at trapping grease and being removable and dishwasher safe (compared to just mesh filters).

If you're on an island your want it to extend at least 3 inches over the sides of your cooktop as well. Full depth would be ideal, but from looking at a ton of range installation manuals, covering from the back to say least halfway over the front burners seems to be the minimum.

The only other thing we are looking at is that it looks like technically if you go over 400cfm some municipality codes will require make up air to prevent you from depressurizing your home. I found it in fine print in neighboring counties, and in the IRC, but my city inspector said he never heard of it, so your mileage may vary; If you're not a professional cook with a pro series range, you're probably fine with staying under 400 CFM.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 10, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Zephyr and Wolf were both recommended to us by contractors who weren't selling them

I have a full depth zephyr above a 4 burner with a searing grill. It's amazing how much smoke it eats when grilling. Of course, it's loud on high. They all are. But it's air movement noise, not motor noise, so it's as quiet is it's gonna get.

Most of the choices in this range should have good lighting and stainless steel filters that can be put in a dishwasher. Insist on both of those. I think one of the most under rated things about a full depth hood is the lighting. Good ones have light all the way out on the end near you, which allows proper light from the direction you are looking on everything rather than relying on whatever kitchen lighting you have, which probably isn't that great, to make up for the lack of under counter lighting on the stove.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Most of the choices in this range should have good lighting and stainless steel filters that can be put in a dishwasher

Just remember to take off the plastic around the edges of the filters before putting them in the dishwasher......

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

Just remember to take off the plastic around the edges of the filters before putting them in the dishwasher......

lol this sounds like something someone learned the hard way.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Material shortages strike again...the reclaimed wood table I ordered off Etsy in March is now coming mid-July (maybe) instead of now. Sigh.

Still about a month out from the projected completion of our closet doors and Murphy bed, but I'm hoping they won't be too delayed. We are not working with actual wood with those, I think, probably just MDF, so hopefully they'll be more on track.

I'm hoping to have my mom visit before fire season starts, and we at least need the bed before then, or else it's a hotel for mom. Which, really, is not a bad idea.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the best way to clean a house or room to live in after a lot of dust generating work is done? Things like drywall, pulling and cutting tile, sanding floors level, etc? Going to wipe down all surfaces and vacuum, but also need to get the HVAC started up again. Can I just run the fan with some HEPA/MERV filters for a couple hours/days and get ready to replace the filter quick?

Edit: or a single room air purifier?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 10, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

PageMaster posted:

What's the best way to clean a house or room to live in after a lot of dust generating work is done? Things like drywall, pulling and cutting tile, sanding floors level, etc? Going to wipe down all surfaces and vacuum, but also need to get the HVAC started up again. Can I just run the fan with some HEPA/MERV filters for a couple hours/days and get ready to replace the filter quick?

also asking this for when i have my windows all replaced

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PageMaster posted:

Wipe it all down with dry microfiber towels, then again wet. If you do wet first you're just making mud and that makes your life harder.

And if the dust isn't a surprise, cover as much as you can with plastic drop cloths. Seal off rooms if you can as well.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks. I think we're going to try running the air handler a couple days with HEPA filter to clear dust out of the ducts and start clearing downstairs (where the returns are), then wipe down the surfaces afterwards, and then just keep an air purifier running in the room we're staying in, hopefully that takes care of most of it at least.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 10, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
When I did it I bought cheap fans with thick filters (10x10x2") and taped them up and a HEPA kit for my shop vac. Plastic tarps on everything I could (get the 10x100' stuff). Went around and shop vaced up what I could wearing a P100 respirator, wiped down the rest with damp rags/paper towels, then mopped. Ran the fans for 24 hours after that and came back to a nice clean house. (It was my whole house, repipe/rewire, I stayed elsewhere.) For a single room I would do the same but tape off the door while the dust is being made. Wash any linens in your washing machine on whatever your fastest cycle is - it's all going to come out in the first few minutes.

I think I spent 4 hours doing EVERY surface in the house quickly. It doesn't have to be precise. The more you run those filter-fans the less settles on your stuff. Definitely run them when you're de-tarping. I think I sprayed down some of the egregiously dusty tarps with water which made muck, but then I just rolled it up and tossed it.

The HEPA shop vac was a game changer - It got all the loose dust up that you would normally have to sort of dry brush/wipe up, and could reach around things like vases to suck out a TON of loose dust. We also have a HEPA filter on our regular vacuum which we used for the floors, then mopped the floors.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Anyone ever painted outdoor plastic columns similar to these?

Is there any special paint or primer that is needed? Not sure what those scrape marks are.

e: also they may be fiberglass columns and not plastic? Still doing some research.

Whoreson Welles fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 10, 2021

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

StormDrain posted:

Wipe it all down with dry microfiber towels, then again wet. If you do wet first you're just making mud and that makes your life harder.

And if the dust isn't a surprise, cover as much as you can with plastic drop cloths. Seal off rooms if you can as well.

Everything Storm posted. Hepa air filters come after you have done the above.

Just had some work done and they had to saw through some 100yo plaster/lath that crumbled on sight into dust. It went everywhere.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Material shortages strike again...the reclaimed wood table I ordered off Etsy in March is now coming mid-July (maybe) instead of now. Sigh.

Still about a month out from the projected completion of our closet doors and Murphy bed, but I'm hoping they won't be too delayed. We are not working with actual wood with those, I think, probably just MDF, so hopefully they'll be more on track.

I'm hoping to have my mom visit before fire season starts, and we at least need the bed before then, or else it's a hotel for mom. Which, really, is not a bad idea.

How does a reclaimed wood table have a material shortage? :confused:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Also any time you can use a shop vac with an added dust filter or HEPA filter and suck dust while you cut scrape etc to cut down on what gets into the air.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sundae posted:

How does a reclaimed wood table have a material shortage? :confused:

Somewhere there’s a barn owner waiting on their delayed stack of shiny new timber . . .

Edit: this is supposed to be a joke but I’m not even sure it is.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
When wood prices get so high that Joe shmo decides to use reclaimed wood for his deck) kitchen remodel.

I saw a box spring the other day on the side of the street. I'm surprised people aren't to the point of scavenging it like copper plumbing.

Also see a lumber truck going by with a full load. No armed guards though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My wood guy is telling me there's heaps and piles and mountains of wood, the likes of which have never been seen, it's just that people are so ravenous to get their wood Now instead of Later that they'll pay the 2020 prices still

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I always thought "reclaimed" meant the same as "distressed" in that it sounds really good and like, salvaged from an old barn or tear down somewhere in Oklahoma but is actually just fashionable designer wood.

I have had two months to stare at this Etsy listing and wonder if it's actually the right table for me. I can't wait for the next six weeks of second guessing myself!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I always thought "reclaimed" meant the same as "distressed" in that it sounds really good and like, salvaged from an old barn or tear down somewhere in Oklahoma but is actually just fashionable designer wood.

I have had two months to stare at this Etsy listing and wonder if it's actually the right table for me. I can't wait for the next six weeks of second guessing myself!

Hey, I need a new small wood kitchen table and didn't think of using Etsy, thanks. Would rather my equivalent cash go to a small / medium sizes business rather than Pier One or whatever.

I'm also in the market for a new desk around 30"x60" and am trying not to spend $800 on an Uplift, so anyone can pipe up.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

"Reclaimed" is (ostensibly) when the wood has already been milled and put to use in a building or something and then extracted after a while and put to new use. So yeah, siding from old barns and stuff. "Distressed" is usually intended to mean a fake, inauthentic imitation of actual reclaimed/old wood, like the brand new designer jeans that come with holes in them.

I could pull out all the moldy planks that make up all the weird useless partitions in my basement, make coffee tables, and sell them as being made from reclaimed lumber.

Cursed pic for reference:

I could add distress effects by hitting them with chains and poo poo, but that would be stupid because why would I want to add fake character to old growth wood that'll probably look really loving good and full of proper wood grain character once cleaned up and sanded? And no, that flaking whitewash is gross and not the part I'd want to preserve/reclaim.

Basically I personally only like the distressed look if it's real. You can usually tell the difference pretty easily - real distressed stuff has specific, realistic wear patterns and nicks and blemishes that are proportionate and make sense, while fake distressed stuff tends to have more "drat what the hell happened to cause this?" sort of markings and fakey-looking stain/finish variations/burnishing, and arbitrarily applied wear areas that don't correspond to actual use.

So reclaim everything, but don't distress it if it's not already distressed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My wood guy is telling me there's heaps and piles and mountains of wood, the likes of which have never been seen, it's just that people are so ravenous to get their wood Now instead of Later that they'll pay the 2020 prices still

It's pretty much this, I just ordered some lumber that will take awhile to get here and the rates weren't crazy but then I went into Home Depot for unrelated reasons and the prices there were insane. Sawills are apparently producing at record-breaking rates but demand is so high that it doesn't matter.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hm, I have some leftover flooring, wonder if I could make a bundle on it 🤔

But seriously, what should I do with it? Would I need to keep it around for any reason?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

lol this sounds like something someone learned the hard way.

Thankfully it wasn't too bad, but definitely made a bit of a mess. Crazy part was the plastic came out blue, and it sure didn't go in that color

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Hey, I need a new small wood kitchen table and didn't think of using Etsy, thanks. Would rather my equivalent cash go to a small / medium sizes business rather than Pier One or whatever.

I'm also in the market for a new desk around 30"x60" and am trying not to spend $800 on an Uplift, so anyone can pipe up.

Home Depot sells a husky adjustable-height worktable for half the price of the cheapest electric motor convertible desks online. It’s hand cranked, but made of sturdy butcher block and is easy to put together. I recommend it to everyone who wants an adjustable desk but doesn’t want to spend an absurd amount on a pretty simple piece of machinery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Inner Light posted:

That was our main goal with some of our pieces. We not only wanted to support a small business (though beware, I've seen some names on Etsy and Amazon selling the same things, although small businesses use Amazon as well), but also have something we'd love forever, that's one of a kind and handmade. It was pricey and we're waiting a long time, but I'm hoping it'll be worth it. If anyone's interested, this is the table we bought in pine/black metal, and I'm really wondering if it's the right look.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/674643...k=1&frs=1&etp=1

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We're un-renovating our garage where previous owners decided to put up a walk for an extra room for something. It's a three car garage with a two-spot and a single spot (the single spot is the enclosed space). We have no idea what it used to look like, but I did notice a large beam running across the two-bay to a column dividing the garage (with the wall).

The single bay/room happens to not have this but instead a higher ceiling and a supply register.

I can't imagine a three car garage having a lonely column in it and a beam only running over 2/3 of it, so my worry is that they put in a column and cut the beam over the single bay so they could raise the ceiling there. If so, I'm not sure if the wall is load bearing or not. Do I need a structural engineer to figure this out or would we be able to tell by opening up all the walls?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 11, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I've actually always wondered how to tell if a wall is load-bearing or not . . . if anyone has any advice on that, I'd be happy to know!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Go up in the attic and see if there are any rafters pushing down on it from the roof. If there are it's load bearing.

Also if you have a crawl space, see if there are piers underneath it, which would also indicate it's probably load bearing.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Things I've read are indicators like the wall being perpendicular to joists, directly over piers/supports, directly under something holding the roof up, or continuous through upper levels.

These are all just hints, though. IIRC there's no sure-fire way to know without engineering analysis, so when in doubt don't gently caress with it without calling a structural engineer.

I would guess, though, that walls adjacent to a garage are going to be load bearing. There's a reason the beam across the ceiling terminates there... there's probably foundation under that wall.

edit:

so I re-read... how sure are you that the enclosed spaced used to be garage? Because that beam isn't there for shits and grins... :10bux: the PO cut the beam short to make the room and probably didn't bother with an engineer.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 11, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
You can see the garage door out front, it's basically behind the closet in the pictures.

Edit: here's the outside:

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 11, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I can't wait to see what's inside!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Also, keep in mind that any wall can become load-bearing as alterations are made if they're not coordinated. Never make any assumptions. As for your case, I'd probably need to do a walkdown of your home/crawlspace to understand the construction type better. In this case, you can draw a floor plan of where everything is and then look in the with that floor plan as your guide to mark where the roof supports land.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Maybe that single car garage doesn't need the beam across it, the double car garage has that second floor above it which might increase the load enough to put that beam in.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zarin posted:

I've actually always wondered how to tell if a wall is load-bearing or not . . . if anyone has any advice on that, I'd be happy to know!

There's an entire field of study devoted to this question.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

PageMaster posted:

You can see the garage door out front, it's basically behind the closet in the pictures.

Edit: here's the outside:

OK yeah, that's pretty obvious, and makes sense now that the beam doesn't go all the way through since the upstairs doesn't extend that far. Kind of lazy, though... who wants a pole in the middle of their garage. Should have just upped the beam size and span it all the way to the end... but I'm not that kind of engineer so :shrug:

Anyway I asked because I've seen houses with garage-adjacent workshop/storage areas that COULD have been 3-car, but weren't.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Maybe that single car garage doesn't need the beam across it, the double car garage has that second floor above it which might increase the load enough to put that beam in.

Yup, that's probably right.

Doesn't really mean that that wall ISN'T load bearing, though. Assuming the beam is original and the wall was added, then it probably isn't. But that's an assumption, and I wouldn't risk the structure of the house on it. A big consideration is that the upstairs wall appears to be directly over it, so that would imply load bearing to me.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Why are you concerned with people knowing that you drive a Mercedes?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

MrLogan posted:

we wouldn't want anyone doxxing him and posting a picture of his house would we?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I didn't think about the second floor rooms not extending over that space. Thinking about it, there's 3 blank painted over outlet covers where the garage door opener may have been plugged in, so ceiling there may be original?

I sent a note to a local structural engineer and our GC is opening up drywall to see what we can find.

^^ had to cover up my license plate and my kid's school stuff on the car...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MrLogan posted:

It's a nice house and a nice car, I'm jelly. All CUVs are the same but can't complain about that Benz.

Lawnie posted:

Home Depot sells a husky adjustable-height worktable for half the price of the cheapest electric motor convertible desks online. It’s hand cranked, but made of sturdy butcher block and is easy to put together. I recommend it to everyone who wants an adjustable desk but doesn’t want to spend an absurd amount on a pretty simple piece of machinery.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Bench-Table-HOLT62XDB12/301810799

Wow, this HD desk could be the winner. $219 for the 52 in version, and it's a solid wood top like you said. Virtually everything at that price range is laminate elsewhere.

Maggie, that looks like a great table :)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 12, 2021