Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Paradox Grand Strategy: I don't know a lot about the Japanese Invasion of China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

China itself doesn't ignore KMT contributions to the war so i've no idea why you are all more revisionist then the actual state

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out the party that controls the majority of China and their industrial territory, manpower and allied bankrolling are facing the Japanese in conventional warfare while the guerrilla movement is only fighting the Japanese with guerrilla tactics?

I'm shocked, SHOCKED.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This is the most goony PDX thread has been in a while. I kind of missed it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
so unrelated to whatever the gently caress this argument is

stellaris is changing over to split dev teams, with one team focusing on new DLC and one team focusing on bugfixes and punching up old systems and old DLC content. it's apparently been in the works for a while, before the EU4 leviathan fiasco.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cease to Hope posted:

so unrelated to whatever the gently caress this argument is

stellaris is changing over to split dev teams, with one team focusing on new DLC and one team focusing on bugfixes and punching up old systems and old DLC content. it's apparently been in the works for a while, before the EU4 leviathan fiasco.

I wonder how much Leviathan traumatized Paradox into making better decisions.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Mans posted:

Not as much as it should have probably.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Literally all I said was the actual million people on the ground who died fighting (in the fake war) were ok but a million goons gotta get their bit in about how they hate the bad chinese faction and love the good one

Chiang Kai-Shek's skeleton is so owwneddd

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
BRB editing the casualties panel on the wikipedia page to include "a million goons" baited by Edgar Allen Ho

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I dont have a stake in this argument but didn't the Republic of China also have a red flag

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Takanago posted:

I dont have a stake in this argument but didn't the Republic of China also have a red flag

yes, but it's hardly the dumbest part of that argument

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mans posted:

They did the same thing with Imperator a while back (though slightly difference since the two teams were working concurrently on the same patch) so it's probably something they've been planning for a while. It makes sense because Paradox have got very much into a state of the games rarely being particularly well balanced or bug free due to new content being added so often.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Takanago posted:

Originally, it had this flag:

This was called "Five Races under One Union" flag. The colors refer to the five major ethnic groups considered part of China at the time: Han, Manchu, Mongols, Hui, and Tibetans.

Later, after the KMT's Northern Expedition, it was changed to this:

Which remains the flag of the Republic of China to today.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should switch back imo.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It should beore accurate and have a different color for all 56 recognized ethnicities living in China to make the ultimate flag.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Each thread a different culture.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Originally, it had this flag:

This was called "Five Races under One Union" flag. The colors refer to the five major ethnic groups considered part of China at the time: Han, Manchu, Mongols, Hui, and Tibetans.

Later, after the KMT's Northern Expedition, it was changed to this:

Which remains the flag of the Republic of China to today.

Which ethnic groups are the ones that hate each other so much, they got assigned black and white?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GrossMurpel posted:

Which ethnic groups are the ones that hate each other so much, they got assigned black and white?

Hui(ethnically chinese muslims, as opposed to say, certain other muslims we don't talk about in China's borders nowadays) and tibetans. They don't hate each other but they are tiny minorities most han prolly don't think or care about so they get the boring colours.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Hui at this point referred to the Uighurs. The Uighurs themselves were still calling themselves Turks.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Guomindang/Nationalists versus Japan chat:

The GMD were extremely hesitant to fight the Japanese, both because of anti-communism and because they correctly knew that they would likely lose. Despite this, the GMD were actually already in secret negotiations with the Communists when Jiang was kidnapped by a subordinate warlord who was unaware of those negotiations and demanded he fight the Japanese.

Once the war did break out, GMD forces did better than expected in holding the coast and Shanghai. It was this resistance that enraged the Japanese and contributed to the sack of Nanjing. Once the Japanese did take control of the coast, the GMD forces suffered horrific casualties bogging down the IJA in a mire of attrition that occupied most of the Japanese land forces the entire war.

WWII history is a very touchy subject, but recent scholarship in and outside mainland China has emphasized that for its numerous faults and failures, the GMD bore the brunt of the Japanese offensive. This is does not discount the GMD's endemic corruption, failure to grapple with fundamental problems facing China, Jiang's flirtations with fascism (he attempted to form "Blue Shirts" modeled on, well, the Black Shirts), and all the baggage of the Chinese Civil War. Millions of soldiers died fighting foreign invasion in WWII under the ROC flag, and that sacrifice shouldn't be ignored because their government was pretty bad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A lot of Chinese soldiers signed up with the nationalists and communists primarily to fight the Japanese, with political ideology a distant concern compared to that. If you're in Yan'an and you want to fight, you end up a communist. If you're in Chongqing, you end up a nationalist.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Anyone have any tips for playing the Greater Flavor Mod?

I've been wondering how to play it since i'm used to HPM, any specific things to do/watch out for?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
With waffleimages restored Srbja LP is finally back in all of it's dubious glory.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234431

Except for the one person who used tinypic. RIP that person's updates.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Frionnel posted:

With waffleimages restored Srbja LP is finally back in all of it's dubious glory.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234431

Except for the one person who used tinypic. RIP that person's updates.

? Oh. So is the eu:rome Crete LP saved as well?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

? What's waffleimages deal? How can pictures disappear for a decade and then return?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

? What's waffleimages deal? How can pictures disappear for a decade and then return?

The SA forums now host a partial dump of the images from the imageserver they used at the time, and automatically redirects those old image links to its own new host.

There's a little more to it than that but not much more.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Party In My Diapee posted:

? Oh. So is the eu:rome Crete LP saved as well?

Yeah, though all of Wiz' updates were hosted on his personal domain, so that was never affected. But the senate's posts are all restored now.

Mantis42 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970324&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 10, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There was some guy doing a blog exploring history through Europa Universalis 4, but I can't find it anymore. I'm not even sure whether it was posted here or in the EUIV thread, does anybody remember the site?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Torrannor posted:

There was some guy doing a blog exploring history through Europa Universalis 4, but I can't find it anymore. I'm not even sure whether it was posted here or in the EUIV thread, does anybody remember the site?
Ask and receive: https://acoup.blog/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I read part 1 and found it a bit rambling to be honest. It's way too long for the actual points he's making.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

fuf posted:

I read part 1 and found it a bit rambling to be honest. It's way too long for the actual points he's making.

Well he is a historian.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

fuf posted:

He does use a paragraph where a sentence would probably suffice, but it's also very well researched and informative. If you can make it past the long winded nature of the posts, that blog is well worth the read. My personal favorite series is the one on the Siege of Gondor, demonstrating how (at least in the book) both Denethor, the Witch King and Theoden are excellent leaders skilled at warfare. He lays out the military side of things in a way that highlights why each event is happening in a way that is largely in the background of the actual text (Tolkien fought in WW1 and was a big military historian in addition to other types of historian, so it makes sense that he would write realistic campaigns). Especially in comparison to the series on the Siege of Helm's Deep, which points out all the very believable amateur mistakes Saruman makes (Which is also good writing on Tolkien's part, since Saruman is not a skilled military leader, but is smart and arrogant enough to think he is)

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
This is probably a fool's errand but I might as well ask: are there any guides/resources for March of the Eagles modding, or any guides/tools making a new scenario? I've seen a few collections of links on the Paradox Forums, but even then that's only so much.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Kangxi posted:

This is probably a fool's errand but I might as well ask: are there any guides/resources for March of the Eagles modding, or any guides/tools making a new scenario? I've seen a few collections of links on the Paradox Forums, but even then that's only so much.

I don't know of any guides, but I took a quick look and it seems pretty similar to EU3 in terms of modding. Apart from not having modern tools to get a mod started, pretty straightforward if you're familiar with mods for the older games. What are you aiming to do?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

As someone who thought HoI2 was neat, but a bit too hard for little ol' me to understand, is HoI4 a bit better to figure out what one's supposed to do? And does it require every major DLC like CK2 did to make it good?

Basically, I want to know if I should bother and if this a good deal for HoI4 and some DLC (including what seems like most expansion packs)?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never played HoI2, but I found HoI3 to be essentially incomprehensible, and HoI4 to be extremely approachable, so it's definitely more user-friendly than past HoI games. The DLC setup is a bit weird because it honestly doesn't really need any DLC, it's pretty much complete in vanilla, but a lot of minor features are locked behind various DLCs, and you won't get the updated focus trees for countries if you don't have the relevant DLC, which does make a big difference because otherwise those countries have generic focus trees or their older, shittier one, and that has a big impact because the focus tree is basically what guides your entire playthrough.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

As someone who thought HoI2 was neat, but a bit too hard for little ol' me to understand, is HoI4 a bit better to figure out what one's supposed to do? And does it require every major DLC like CK2 did to make it good?

Basically, I want to know if I should bother and if this a good deal for HoI4 and some DLC (including what seems like most expansion packs)?

The bundle is the best deal you can get on hoi4 + DLCs, so it's good from that perspective. However the DLCs aren't ck2 level with super important game mechanics like retinues. They are pretty fluffy. So you aren't missing out on anything mechanical by just paying $1 for the game. The extra $17 is for "content", mostly focus trees.

I don't know if 4 is easier to understand than 2 but at least it has a better UI.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

The bundle is the best deal you can get on hoi4 + DLCs, so it's good from that perspective. However the DLCs aren't ck2 level with super important game mechanics like retinues. They are pretty fluffy. So you aren't missing out on anything mechanical by just paying $1 for the game. The extra $17 is for "content", mostly focus trees.

I don't know if 4 is easier to understand than 2 but at least it has a better UI.

Man the guns is mandatory for any naval focused nation

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's more a choice if you want a bad navy system or a bad navy system but more busywork when you start and having to check every ship if you don't already know off the top of your head the difference between a Prince Dipshit Class and a West Fuckshire Class ship from 1936

(in either case bomb them all or spam subs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
So in the latest HOI4 DD Podcat's working on a new secret game thats not HOI5.

Place your bets on what itll be, and if itll make to the reveal phase!