Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I mean, is forgetting to turn off your camera after a meeting and jerking it really "doing a terrible thing"?

Does everyone else at CNN have to sign a pledge that they don't masturbate to make sure they have credibility?

If you make nude videos of yourself and they accidentally get out, then should you be banned from CNN?
I think what I find offensive is if someone walked in on a guy taking dick pics in the meat freezer of a restaurant, he'd probably be fired. It may not be sexual harassment or sexual assault, but it's inappropriate to masturbate at work or generally to take your dick out during work. And it's crummy when people who have high-power, high-reward jobs also seems to have a lower level of risk and responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Nonsense posted:

Still nothing is being done about MTG.
To clarify, MTG has already received the punishment that GOP leadership has spent the past 3 years calling for Omar to get hit with: She's been booted off her committees.

Which doesn't make the leadership statement any less dumb and selfdefeating!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deteriorata posted:

The filibuster has been around for 200 years.
No. At least not "the filibuster" in the sense of what people are asking Democrats to dismantle.
https://twitter.com/jonathanchait/status/1400208039400062982
(sorry for the Chait link, I know a lot of people hate him but it's not important to this point)

This is a common misperception, and a lot of people who should know better insist that it was true, so I don't blame you for believing it. It happened by accident and was popularized in the 20th century by people who opposed civil rights.

And how is the filibuster not related to "saving democracy" when it's being used to enable the uncontested passage of hundreds of anti-democratic laws at the state level, meaning that a government that's already unrepresentative (where 40% of the Senate, representing 25% of the country, can block anything they want) will become more unrepresentative?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 10, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

No.
This is a common misperception, and a lot of people who should know better insist that it was true, so I don't blame you for believing it. It happened by accident and was popularized in the 20th century by people who opposed civil rights.

And how is the filibuster not related to "saving democracy" when it's being used to enable the passage of hundreds of anti-democratic laws at the state level, meaning that a government that's already unrepresentative (where 40% of the Senate, representing 25% of the country, can block anything they want) will become more unrepresentative.

Yes, the filibuster was accidentally discovered about 200 years ago as an oversight in the Senate rules. I'm well aware of its history and I've read Chait's column before.

The point remains that it is not a new thing. It's been around for a long time and has been causing problems for a long time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deteriorata posted:

If they're going to straight up steal elections, it doesn't matter what sort of legislation is passed. They are going to ignore it like all the rest of the related election laws.
This post seems incredibly naive, fascists crave the fig leaf of being rightful and lawful as they claim more influence.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JT Jag posted:

This post seems incredibly naive, fascists crave the fig leaf of being rightful and lawful as they claim more influence.

It seems incredibly naive to think that people dedicated to destroying the rule of law will suddenly be stopped by a new law.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deteriorata posted:

Yes, the filibuster was accidentally discovered about 200 years ago as an oversight in the Senate rules. I'm well aware of its history and I've read Chait's column before.

The point remains that it is not a new thing. It's been around for a long time and has been causing problems for a long time.
OK, sorry for misunderstanding you, or if I came off as condescending.

And yeah, even if Manchin and Sinema saw the light on the issue, we would still have a fuckton of a lot of problems. (For example, we will have still made no progress on the labor vs. investment issue I was talking about a couple pages ago, which will eventually destroy us if unchecked.) It seems to me that overturning the filibuster is necessary, but not sufficient, to the overall goal of "saving democracy".

(And "saving democracy" is necessary, but not sufficient, for having a just society!)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

for more detail on feinstein, see: https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/dianne-feinsteins-missteps-raise-a-painful-age-question-among-senate-democrats

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deteriorata posted:

It seems incredibly naive to think that people dedicated to destroying the rule of law will suddenly be stopped by a new law.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh no lol, it wasn't that they didn't want us to get one. They just withheld the previous inspection report from us and told us to just get our own instead. They said it wouldn't have been fair to the previous seller who paid for it (which makes sense I guess?). We were going to get an inspection either way, but it would have been nice to compare the two.

That's bullshit. I'm in CA, and the way I was told it worked when I was going through the process is that the seller had to give all prospective buyers a copy of all reports, regardless of which buyer paid.

They need to disclose known issues.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mellow Seas posted:

No. At least not "the filibuster" in the sense of what people are asking Democrats to dismantle.
(sorry for the Chait link, I know a lot of people hate him but it's not important to this point)

And how is the filibuster not related to "saving democracy" when it's being used to enable the uncontested passage of hundreds of anti-democratic laws at the state level, meaning that a government that's already unrepresentative (where 40% of the Senate, representing 25% of the country, can block anything they want) will become more unrepresentative?

I'm definitely going to start calling the filibuster "the other peculiar institution"

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

There is a qualitative difference between the filibuster that was used to delay the Civil Rights Act and the filibuster that is in effect today. There is a quantitative difference between the use of the filibuster as late as Clinton/W Bush and the use of the filibuster today. Arguing that the filibuster isn't a threat to democracy because it was around for 200 years ignores those changes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epinephrine posted:

There is a qualitative difference between the filibuster that was used to delay the Civil Rights Act and the filibuster that is in effect today. There is a quantitative difference between the use of the filibuster as late as Clinton/W Bush and the use of the filibuster today. Arguing that the filibuster isn't a threat to democracy because it was around for 200 years ignores those changes.

The disconnect is that the filibuster itself is not a threat to democracy and never has been. It's an annoying problem of the Senate rules that people have been working around for a long time.

The people determined to abuse the filibuster to thwart majority rule are the threat to democracy. Eliminating the filibuster will not stop those people, they will simply find a new way of disrupting the system. They will remain a threat to democracy regardless.

So get rid of the filibuster by all means, but couching it as "saving democracy" is hyperbolic.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

brugroffil posted:

fyi the FHA loan program changed a number of years back and now it's just a premium on the life of the loan.

True. I was speaking solely about conventional loans. Great point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A bunch of new major cyber attacks happened.

- JBS says they paid $11 million to ransomware hackers to get their data back.
- 235 Hospitals and Nursing Homes were victims of ransomware attacks.
- EA Games just announced they were hacked and the source code, online protocols, dev tools, and files for the upcoming FIFA game was stolen.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1403030196903628803

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Deteriorata posted:

The disconnect is that the filibuster itself is not a threat to democracy and never has been. It's an annoying problem of the Senate rules that people have been working around for a long time.

The people determined to abuse the filibuster to thwart majority rule are the threat to democracy. Eliminating the filibuster will not stop those people, they will simply find a new way of disrupting the system. They will remain a threat to democracy regardless.

So get rid of the filibuster by all means, but couching it as "saving democracy" is hyperbolic.

Making it so the combined will of the people, as expressed through a president and a majority of both houses being overruled seems anti-democratic by definition

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

i mean, PMI is literally you paying a third party insurance on your loan in case you stop paying it. from the bank's perspective, the loan just got a lot less risky because it's now insured.

I know this probably isn't the right place, but gently caress PMI is such a scam. Any other loan, the risk is priced in. Why the gently caress should a mortgage be any different?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I think that the broader issue with the US at the moment is that you can essentially rule from the minority. Conservatives in our nation don't need support from majority of Americans to command power and that means they don't really have to compromise. If we had a more representative form of government, Conservatives wouldn't magically become good people or automatically lose power forever, but they would have to be more responsive to constituents which can check what they actually do in power. Our current system breeds undemocratic politicians because you don't have to actually serve the interests of most people and still be in control.

The Filibuster won't save Democracy in America--we actually need a Constitutional Convention, but that's not going to happen. But it actually allows Democrats to get poo poo done and take their shot when they actually do have power and do things that can help foster checks for how broken our democratic system is (Create Voting Rights Acts, create new states, etc.).

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ReidRansom posted:

I know this probably isn't the right place, but gently caress PMI is such a scam. Any other loan, the risk is priced in. Why the gently caress should a mortgage be any different?

Don't you only pay PMI if you don't put down 20% down payment?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Aren't we still staring down the barrel of a huge eviction crisis that's due to kick off in September? Locally the housing market is white hot, but none of the RE agents I know can tell me anything about what we're going to see when the moratorium lifts.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
If you had a constitutional convention at the moment you'd likely walk out of it with national bans on abortion, mandatory gun ownership, and federal judicial elections.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

If you had a constitutional convention at the moment you'd likely walk out of it with national bans on abortion, mandatory gun ownership, and federal judicial elections.

And a balanced budget amendment don't forget that part.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

And a balanced budget amendment don't forget that part.

End of birthright citizenship as well 100%

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm pretty sure we'd end up with a state church as well.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Feinstein is a GOP psyop, right? Like…I get it she’s old and her marbles are cluttered but like…what

Edit: ok maybe I need to re understand

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 10, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

unlike other loans, people frequently give up on mortgages long before the term is up. most people don't pay back an entire mortgage, they're one of the few loans where "should i cancel this loan" is actively discussed as a financially beneficial move

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I mean the convention to amend the constitution requires 3/4 of states to agree. I don't think 3/4 of state legislatures would agree on free ice cream for state legislatures.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Morrow posted:

Workers rights laws and environmental laws would be unconstitutional.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gatts posted:

Feinstein is a GOP psyop, right? Like…I get it she’s old and her marbles are cluttered but like…what

Edit: ok maybe I need to re understand

You'd be better off getting a quote from David Grannis and ignoring her

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

unlike other loans, people frequently give up on mortgages long before the term is up. most people don't pay back an entire mortgage, they're one of the few loans where "should i cancel this loan" is actively discussed as a financially beneficial move

And this is wrong...why? Businesses do this poo poo all the time. Banks do this poo poo all the time. Why are individuals being held to a different standard?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/whitehouse/status/1403045733184442368?s=21
I bet that many of those “low and lower-middle income” countries are that way because of the United States. But hey, at least we’re getting them the vaccine now while also enriching pharma companies

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

And this is wrong...why? Businesses do this poo poo all the time. Banks do this poo poo all the time. Why are individuals being held to a different standard?

i didn't say it was wrong :confused:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theCalamity posted:

I bet that many of those “low and lower-middle income” countries are that way because of the United States. But hey, at least we’re getting them the vaccine now while also enriching pharma companies

it is impressive you are managing to complain about this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FMguru posted:

I'm pretty sure we'd end up with a state church as well.

With the the end of segregation and the prohibition of school prayer, those most invested in segregation retreated into the evangelical church as a haven away from government intrusion. The risk now isn't so much that the state will recognize an official church, but that the conservatives will hollow out the state around the church so it can continue white supremacy as before,

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Re: housing: it's a state-level solution, but I think we should

1. Increase funding for public schools at the state level, instead of basing funding on local property taxes.
  2. Eliminate property taxes on your primary residence, up to a generous threshold (maybe $1.5M for California). It's a barrier to individual home ownership, and since your house is much less liquid than other assets it shouldn't be taxed the same way.
  3. Tax the poo poo out of every house / apartment you own but don't live in. Probably these taxes should start out moderate and get worse very quickly for each additional unit you own.

The idea is to strongly incentivize individual homeownership and gently caress over wall street landlords. Small-time landlords and people who own a cabin in Tahoe or whatever are only slightly hosed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

theCalamity posted:

That is a weird take.

Do you think they would rather pay for it themselves? Even if you accept the idea that 92 different countries are only poor as an exclusive result of the United States policy over the last 100 years, then every government following them should attempt to deny people vaccines to stay consistent?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VikingofRock posted:

1. Increase funding for public schools at the state level, instead of basing funding on local property taxes.
  2. Eliminate property taxes on your primary residence, up to a generous threshold (maybe $1.5M for California). It's a barrier to individual home ownership, and since your house is much less liquid than other assets it shouldn't be taxed the same way.
  3. Tax the poo poo out of every house / apartment you own but don't live in. Probably these taxes should start out moderate and get worse very quickly for each additional unit you own.

both 1 and 2 are already the case in many states - state funding generally equals local funding for schools, and most states have a homestead exemption of some kind for primary residence. 3 is a good idea but runs into compliance and regulatory issues, namely identifying which houses people live in or what the otherwise intended use of a residence is. it requires more information that governments typically collect

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

it is impressive you are managing to complain about this

And think about what it'd do to local mom&pop vaccine manufacturers!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I mean the convention to amend the constitution requires 3/4 of states to agree. I don't think 3/4 of state legislatures would agree on free ice cream for state legislatures.
Yeah to be clear, It's not ever going to happen and is a complete non-starter for this reason and because people would use it for lovely things. My point was more to emphasize why dumping filibuster is seen as saving democracy. The actual tools we would have to fix our institutional issues like just making a new Constitution or even amending the Constitution are off the table. When people talk about making DC and Puerto Rico a state or instituting new voter protection laws, it's more of an act of containment than anything else. It's the best we can do and without getting rid of the filibuster, we can't even do that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Edit: moved

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 10, 2021