Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I feel the biggest issue is that well Wolfenstein 2009 honestly just handled almost everything better than New Order or The Old Blood did(besides graphics and maybe story), which has the paranoid part of me wondering if the real reason that Zenimax has never bothered sorting out 09's licensing limbo is that they don't want the games developed under their tenure shown up by a game that was not only a good five years older than New Order but also developed by a company owned by a competitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i thought this was going to be like, a game artist hid their personal fetish art somewhere usually inaccessible. but this is 100000x funnier

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
wolf has the same problem a lot of shooters with semi realistic humanoid enemies have, which is that the game difficulty curve is hard to dial in

One typically has to make the early enemies glass to encourage the power fantasy and get players involved, but after that you don’t have a lot of places to go other than environmental danger, handicapping the player, bigger mobs, bullet sponges or cannonier glass enemies

as pointed out earlier the dual wield thing makes balancing all this even harder

I like the nüwolfen (i think site/etpc/I are the only people that like Youngblood, game owns) but I’d be lying if I didn’t understand people being put off by the above

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmmmm, I definitely loved TNO at the time and it was definitely seen as a return to fast, oldschool shooters at the time, even if in reality it didn't have that much in common with them. I'd played it having not played Doom or Quake, and of course this was before your indie throwbacks, so compared to your COD or even HL2 clones of the time it was definitely a breath of fresh air. I also think it actually handled the mix of stealth and action very well and organically ended up mixing the two elements, something that definitely didn't happen in the sequel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've only watched videos of nuThief and I saw a whole bunch of poo poo I hate from modern games. Gloomwood can't come soon enough.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is that even really a Thief? It seemed more like a regular immersive sim from the demo, what with the relative ease/frequency of killing.

Yes I know the website's name

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

Is that even really a Thief? It seemed more like a regular immersive sim from the demo, what with the relative ease/frequency of killing.

It sounds like the full game will have a mechanic to disincentive just shooting your way through everything, by way of having an abundance of corpses in an area spawn something very nasty to make your life more complicated.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Mordja posted:

Thought you were talking about Thief 4 for a moment until I read the second bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

It sounds like the full game will have a mechanic to disincentive just shooting your way through everything, by way of having an abundance of corpses in an area spawn something very nasty to make your life more complicated.

Even if it didn't, it's still a stealth game where sneaking is the preferred option (if for no reason other than resource conservation) so it's about as much a Thief as Dishonored is (if Dishonored didn't have crazy movement and a protagonist with magic powers).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Tim Thomas posted:

I like the nüwolfen (i think site/etpc/I are the only people that like Youngblood, game owns) but I’d be lying if I didn’t understand people being put off by the above

I like it too :)

Although I never played it post patch that apparently fixed some of the spongeyness of the enemies. I should fire that back up once I get tired of Village.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tim Thomas posted:

bigger mobs

i want this. give me nazis that are easy to kill, and then let me kill thousands of them

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

I understand it will be a hybrid. Allowing some killing, but discouraging it from being the primary way to solve situations. I expect bullets to be sparse, and as Kins says, it seems it may attract (spawn?) enemies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Two Owls posted:

Thought you were talking about Thief 4 for a moment until I read the second bit.

Me too lol but I guess it applies to both.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I've always wanted to know what happened during the development of Thief 4. Just by looking at the finished project it's blatantly obvious that what we got is a kludged-together mess of restarts and concepts that didn't work out, but I've never been able to find any accounts that put together a timeline of what happened. Unlike, say, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Thief 4 was a lower profile entry in an older franchise in a niche genre, so no one's really taken the time to put together a proper postmortem.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bowled over by the intro video to thief 1 and how much whoever made it loved david fincher's "seven"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Marshal Radisic posted:

I've always wanted to know what happened during the development of Thief 4. Just by looking at the finished project it's blatantly obvious that what we got is a kludged-together mess of restarts and concepts that didn't work out, but I've never been able to find any accounts that put together a timeline of what happened. Unlike, say, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Thief 4 was a lower profile entry in an older franchise in a niche genre, so no one's really taken the time to put together a proper postmortem.

I'm gonna guess that a significant factor is that Square-Enix treats every last one of their western studios like hot garbage and mandates for the dumbest trend-chasing crap possible to be crowbarred into their games.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 10, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Weedle posted:

bowled over by the intro video to thief 1 and how much whoever made it loved david fincher's "seven"

Might be my favorite soundtrack ever. The intro track, that one absolute banger that plays during the intro to The Haunted Cathedral. The mixture of chanting and tribal drums and drum n' bass is just pure flames.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar4YYkTomi8
August 14 demo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

This is hilarious

Tbh i never really had any of the problems with the wolf games that people here are lsting but i generally quite enjoyed the stealth aspects and really why aren't you dual wielding all the time in combat anyways so maybe that's why. Also I only ever played on normal so that might've had something to do with it I guess

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I always played them on easy and that seemed the most balanced lol. Challenging enough without stressing me out.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I feel the biggest issue is that well Wolfenstein 2009 honestly just handled almost everything better than New Order or The Old Blood did(besides graphics and maybe story), which has the paranoid part of me wondering if the real reason that Zenimax has never bothered sorting out 09's licensing limbo is that they don't want the games developed under their tenure shown up by a game that was not only a good five years older than New Order but also developed by a company owned by a competitor

IIRC Wolf 09 was a mega-bomb on PC, selling less than 17k copies in the first month, so Zenimax might well have just looked at the sales figures and decided not bother.

edit: https://www.neoseeker.com/news/11759-wolfenstein-combined-sales-barely-break-100k/

quote:

Sad news for Raven Software. Looks like their Wolfenstein 2009 remake didn't do so hot, despite overall positive reviews from critics across the board.

NPD sales figures were released yesterday, and we notice Wolfenstein is nowhere to be seen. Instead, we see Madden NFL 10 and Batman: Arkham Asylum dominating on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 -- at least in North America.

Wolfenstein sold 59,000 copies for the Xbox 360, another 30,000 on PlayStation 3 and a dismal 17,000 on PC. For a little perspective, note that Fossil Fighters for the Nintendo DS is currently sitting in 10th place on NPD's August 2009 chart with 92,000 units. So between its release on August 18 and the end of the month, August 29, Wolfenstein sold only 106,000 across all platforms.

While not every game is expected to achieve blockbuster status, the numbers are fairly disappointing; the silver lining here is that sales might steadily increase given more time, as Wolfenstein hasn't been out very long. Thinking of trying it yourself? The game is actually quite good, if you care to read what we had to say.

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 10, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think TNO was received so well because expectations were pretty low to begin with. The only one of them I really liked was The Old Blood.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ironically not many people seem to like the machinegames wolf series but like wolf 09, but on the whole i found 09 far less fun in every way pretty much and have never bothered to beat it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

Ironically not many people seem to like the machinegames wolf series but like wolf 09, but on the whole i found 09 far less fun in every way pretty much and have never bothered to beat it

The PC version is way better - I originally played the 360 version and the framerate and overall graphics felt years behind Modern Warfare 2 which released around the same time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the pc version is the one i have

i think my problem was i went from youngblood, which is kinda the same town-hub-to-mission setup as 09 but better graphics, combat, and movement, back to 09 and it just wasn't as fun to play. was cool to see where caroline and the kreisau circle came from though

site fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 10, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Convex posted:

IIRC Wolf 09 was a mega-bomb on PC, selling less than 17k copies in the first month, so Zenimax might well have just looked at the sales figures and decided not bother.

edit: https://www.neoseeker.com/news/11759-wolfenstein-combined-sales-barely-break-100k/

I do wonder why it bombed so hard, were people really still that burnt out on WWII games at the time?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

drrockso20 posted:

I do wonder why it bombed so hard, were people really still that burnt out on WWII games at the time?

IMO Raven had been on a very long run of making good-but-not-great FPS games using id's engines starting with Heretic. I can't speak for anyone else, but my take at the time was "it's probably another decent Raven game" and I just didn't bother.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

site posted:

i think my problem was i went from youngblood, which is kinda the same town-hub-to-mission setup as 09 but better graphics, combat, and movement, back to 09 and it just wasn't as fun to play. was cool to see where caroline and the kreisau circle came from though

If your copy is a physical one I might be interested in buying it if you don't want it, cause the eBay prices for the PC version have gotten absurd*

*honestly I'd just play the Xbox 360 version again but I have no functioning controllers for that system and finding working controllers for that system that aren't either garbage or stupidly overpriced is basically impossible(same for the original Xbox for that matter), at this point I might just buy this weird converter I've seen that lets you use an PS2 controller on an Xbox 360 cause it'd be a lot cheaper

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It is, shall we say, not a disc copy. Sorry

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

site posted:

I get the impression that a lot of people like the Machinegames ones. Probably more so for the story elements than gameplay though, I admit, even though I like both.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
TNO gets mad points for doing something new with the franchise, thematically at least. I think in 09 people were just fatigued of shooters, doubly so WW2 shooters, triply so meh revivals of old franchises (MoH did its gritty modern warfare reboot around this time, too). In hindsight it stands out as a hidden gem in a storied franchise, but contemporaneously it was just another solid if unremarkable shooter launched in the holiday season. I never played it for that reason based on reviews and my limited budget at the time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The ads for Wolf09 made it look like a gimmicky cash grab so I never bothered with it. Only to find out years later that people actually like it.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I played Wolf09 last year and I found it really cool. I do find that the bits where you're running through the town to get to the next mission are a bit dry, but I enjoyed it quite a bit otherwise. I'd even go so far to say that it's better than RtCW, or at least it's way more consistently fun.

The sound design in particular is very good, like the extremely chunky CRACK when the Kar98 fires and the loud screeching noise the particle cannon makes before it discharges :discourse:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I played Wolf09 last year and I found it really cool. I do find that the bits where you're running through the town to get to the next mission are a bit dry, but I enjoyed it quite a bit otherwise. I'd even go so far to say that it's better than RtCW, or at least it's way more consistently fun.

The sound design in particular is very good, like the extremely chunky CRACK when the Kar98 fires and the loud screeching noise the particle cannon makes before it discharges :discourse:

Don't forget the beautiful sounds a Nazi makes when you stab one in the throat with a bayonet

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

site posted:

See to me Youngblood was just Wolf 09 but worse, but also with co-op that didn't seem to work very well at launch. The level design was bland as poo poo and the bulletsponge enemies completely put me off. Granted I also haven't played Wolf '09 for quite a few years now so the shine might have worn off for me if I try to replay it now. It was also really special to me as an open world FPS, they really didn't make very many of those until Ubisoft started factory producing them with the Far Cry sequels.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wolfenstein 09 is a 5/10 game until you get the particle cannon, at which point it becomes the absurd nazi slaughtering mayhem we all love

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Convex posted:

Wolfenstein 09 is a 5/10 game until you get the axe in the library, at which point it becomes the absurd nazi slaughtering mayhem we all love

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Convex posted:

Wolfenstein 09 is a 5/10 game until you get the particle cannon, at which point it becomes the absurd nazi slaughtering mayhem we all love

I think it doesn't do first impressions all that well. I rented it on the 360 and dropped it after about half an hour, since it seemed super generic. I then picked it up in a Steam sale much later, gave it a second chance, and enjoyed it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I love how the farm level looks like the most generic WW2 shooter level imaginable and it's only half an hour in where you hit the giant underground nazi base BENEATH the farm and things really get started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

UnknownMercenary posted:

See to me Youngblood was just Wolf 09 but worse, but also with co-op that didn't seem to work very well at launch. The level design was bland as poo poo and the bulletsponge enemies completely put me off. Granted I also haven't played Wolf '09 for quite a few years now so the shine might have worn off for me if I try to replay it now. It was also really special to me as an open world FPS, they really didn't make very many of those until Ubisoft started factory producing them with the Far Cry sequels.

i found the the levels and hub far less interesting in 09 and it asks you to search for treasure in the sewers and multiple stories of buildings with a fairly slow and limited sprint and no double jump or mantling, and since you don't have cloak you have to fight the same fight with the same guards at the same locations every time because they immediately respawn and you can only avoid them when it bothers to give you an alternate alley route, so it became quite tedious fairly quickly to me