Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

eXXon posted:

I'd call her a craven opportunist, but she did this for apparently absolutely nothing in return, so ... what...?

She just secured the Liberal nomination in what is surely now a safe Liberal riding, I wouldn't say that's nothing.

Now Annamie Paul, she absolutely just torched her own Party and Leadership position over a policy position that won't win her a single vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/HandmaidAlberta/status/1403067196553646089

Say you're 100% guilty without saying you're 100% guilty.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man Paul is failing gloriously right now talking over reporters asking about her advisor and his accusations against the other Greens and constantly declaring that she is the leader of the Party. She does not want to answer questions so she keeps ignoring their points and misrepresenting what the reporters are saying.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Randalor posted:

So apparently Pallister still hasn't actually said what his plans are for reopening Manitoba. How the gently caress are we over a year into the pandemic, and over a month after poo poo had officially hit the fan for Manitoba, and he's still just kinda shrugging and going "I unno. I mean, we have ideas on what to do, but... I unno. Maybe we can open for Canada Day or something?"

They really don't know what to do. Decisions are made at the very last minute, sometimes by subcommittees that are barely talking to each other. It's a spectacular failure. Stories from the inside are of MLAs and ministers being in complete denial. MB Conservatives have always worshipped right-wing US politics and their dream of making a made in Manitoba Trump administration have come true.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

She just secured the Liberal nomination in what is surely now a safe Liberal riding, I wouldn't say that's nothing.

Now Annamie Paul, she absolutely just torched her own Party and Leadership position over a policy position that won't win her a single vote.

I think being in government is one part of it, but putting up a big finger to someone who might have been brow beating you constantly in private might also be part of it. Just torching your provincial section and putting up the middle finger might be very satisfying.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My God she will not say anything about her advisor's comments. It's the same deflection over and over and over.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

folytopo posted:

I think being in government is one part of it, but putting up a big finger to someone who might have been brow beating you constantly in private might also be part of it. Just torching your provincial section and putting up the middle finger might be very satisfying.

Oh you don't even need to qualify the "in private" part the Leader's spokesman was publicly calling for her defeat, that might push any MP to resign, bad luck for Manly that there's no easy way for him to secure a safe seat with another party.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Ahem it's Genuis...

And actually he's one of the most annoying MPs. I was closely following the Canada-China relations committee and he was so combative with all the guests. His tactic was basically to do "gotchas" and try to force experts to admit that the CCP has infiltrated Canada. Obviously this requires investigation, and all of this happened in the backdrop of the 2 Michaels being held illegally.

But he actually said this to Dominic Barton:
"Would you prepared to submit to this committee a list of all of the Chinese state-owned companies that you did work for at McKinsey?"
(from https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-1/CACN/meeting-5/evidence)

Like I'm not gonna go to bat for McKinsey suits but holy poo poo let the adults speak.

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 10, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They have one of those twats on every committee to ask outlandish gotcha questions. Cheryl Gallant does it on Defence, Shannon Stubbs does it on Public Safety, and Pierre Poilievre does it on the Ethics committee, though he also has his best friend Barrett do his share of the screaming.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Jupiter posted:

Ahem it's Genuis...

And actually he's one of the most annoying MPs. I was closely following the Canada-China relations committee and he was so combative with all the guests. His tactic was basically to do "gotchas" and try to force experts to admit that the CCP has infiltrated Canada. Obviously this requires investigation, and all of this happened in the backdrop of the 2 Michaels being held illegally.

But he actually said this to Dominic Barton:
"Would you prepared to submit to this committee a list of all of the Chinese state-owned companies that you did work for at McKinsey?"
(from https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-1/CACN/meeting-5/evidence)

Like I'm not gonna go to bat for McKinsey suits but holy poo poo let the adults speak.

I do want to say at the outset, with greatest respect, that I felt at the time of your appointment and still feel that you are a completely inappropriate choice as ambassador. That's not because of your personal qualifications. It's because, as you said today, we expect our diplomatic corps to defend our interests and our values. I look at the track record with McKinsey and some of the things it was involved in, and those raise big red flags for me in terms of your position now as the representative of Canada defending our interests and our values.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Paul Manly and Elizabeth May just put out a statement laying the blame for Atwin leaving squarely at the feet of Annamie Paul's chief staffer.

Really do wonder how long Paul stays on when she's pissing off her organization this much and refusing to do anything about her chief staffer harassing caucus members.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Never have so many fought over so little

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Paul Manly and Elizabeth May just put out a statement laying the blame for Atwin leaving squarely at the feet of Annamie Paul's chief staffer.

Really do wonder how long Paul stays on when she's pissing off her organization this much and refusing to do anything about her chief staffer harassing caucus members.

Guessing she'll hold til the election in the fall and after she'll step down

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shandro and Kenney wanking off about how amazing Alberta is.

I want them to get to questions so they can waffle on their private dinner meets.

Lol here we go, he's complaining and refuting the accusations and threatening defamation suits.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 10, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shandro and Kenney wanking off about how amazing Alberta is.

I want them to get to questions so they can waffle on their private dinner meets.

Lol here we go, he's complaining and refuting the accusations and threatening defamation suits.

He's also just flat out lying about easily available facts on everything else.

i'm sure he's telling the truth about the restaurant thing.

Luckily Fildebrandt is dumb enough to dig his heels in and burn them both down.

e: Kenney accidentally praised Trudeau, and realized it a second too late.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 10, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh poor baby is complaining about how unfair it is for Alberta to pay into the Federation

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Still so mad that nobody will ask why he's organizing a referendum against the formula he helped write.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

I'm not sure Paul Manly is a Green any more based on his Twitter profile and website.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

People are pointing that out on twitter but don't most elected officials keep their party affiliation out of their official websites and twitters?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I just checked the twitter of my local NDP MP, the Con MP where I grew up, and a random Liberal MP. They all mention their affiliation in their twitter bio. My local MP's website is actually hername.ndp.ca. So uh I don't think that's generally true.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Normy may be right. Websites aren't supposed to be partisan (though plenty acknowledge the MP's Party).

Twitter is weirder but not every MP includes their party.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidMerner?s=09

It says greens twice in the bio?

What's real interesting is no posts in 3 days

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Victoria has cancelled their Canada Day celebrations due to the residential schools.

Not looking forward to the weeks of complaining op-eds, ugghhhhh

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My neighbour is trying to recruit me into a MLM cult :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alctel posted:

Victoria has cancelled their Canada Day celebrations due to the residential schools.

Not looking forward to the weeks of complaining op-eds, ugghhhhh

Probably a good idea anyway this year. I went a couple times and that thing was packed. Outdoors sure, but body to body and everybody yelling to be heard over all the yelling.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Raenir Salazar posted:

My neighbour is trying to recruit me into a MLM cult :(

Sell them on bitcoin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder what Canada day Ottawa will look like this year. Last year was an irresponsible shitshow and it was scorching to boot.

I realize this describes Ottawa Canada Day every year, mind you.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 11, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I am spending Canada in my garden getting so day drunk I can barely speak while listening to cantent

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am spending Canada in my garden getting so day drunk I can barely speak while listening to cantent

The whole Canada?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MatchaZed posted:

Sell them on bitcoin.

Don't think they'll do that, especially after the latest phone conversation where I lost my poo poo after multiple attempts to tell them "Hey, I'm not comfortable with this, please stop."

Arbonne is a menance.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder what Canada day Ottawa will look like this year. Last year was an irresponsible shitshow and it was scorching to boot.

I realize this describes Ottawa Canada Day every year, mind you.

I know long-term forecasts are a fool's game but so far they're saying it'll be below 30.
So that's something.

I think to really rile people up we should change Canada Day to something like "Remember our Oppression of Indigenous Peoples Day" and then actually treat them as a sovereign nation.
Although that's maybe a bit less celebratory feeling. I guess we could replace Victoria Day instead since it feels anachronistic and I'm much more onboard with Quebec's celebration of the 1837 rebellions against the ruling elite.

Now that's celebratory.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the Greens finally got a leader who was willing to pressure party members into toeing the party line instead of sticking to the usual line about not whipping votes or restricting members, and they promptly alienated the entire party over Israel/Palestine of all things. Just incredible.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

dang, ontario hit like just a hair shy of 200k vaccinations yesterday.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

vyelkin posted:

So the Greens finally got a leader who was willing to pressure party members into toeing the party line instead of sticking to the usual line about not whipping votes or restricting members, and they promptly alienated the entire party over Israel/Palestine of all things. Just incredible.

If by pressuring members to toe the party line you mean "chief staffer harasses MPs on social media" then yeah, sure.

I dont know how you look at anything Annamie Paul has done since becoming leader that makes you think she's got the willpower to pressure anyone. She doesn't have a seat in the House and no voice to speak of and her media avails make her look somehow even more mealy mouthed than Singh.

She's basically useless as a party leader and couldn't even win her own riding and got salty that she wasn't given the seat as a courtesy by the other parties. At least Elizabeth May won her own seat. Paul comes across as incredibly self centered to me whenever she does a news conference. Yesterday when she addressed Atwin leaving a good two thirds of of the announcement was Paul talking about herself and how how she was the leader. I dont say this to be mean, I say this to state that she's poo poo at her job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picking leaders who can't win their own seat, in a party that actually does have people who won seats, is hilariously "Green Party of Canada".

I guess she was close so she has that going for her.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fidelitious posted:

I know long-term forecasts are a fool's game but so far they're saying it'll be below 30.
So that's something.

I think to really rile people up we should change Canada Day to something like "Remember our Oppression of Indigenous Peoples Day" and then actually treat them as a sovereign nation.
Although that's maybe a bit less celebratory feeling. I guess we could replace Victoria Day instead since it feels anachronistic and I'm much more onboard with Quebec's celebration of the 1837 rebellions against the ruling elite.

Now that's celebratory.

If we'd actually take meaningful steps towards reconciliation maybe we'd have something to celebrate after awhile. :colbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Any of y'all Manitobans have thoughts on Gord Mackintosh?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

infernal machines posted:

Any of y'all Manitobans have thoughts on Gord Mackintosh?

He took care of the ministry that oversaw Manitoba CFS and our CFS system is a literal rethinking of residential schools but with hotels so

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Maxim Bernier was arrested today hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise posted:

He took care of the ministry that oversaw Manitoba CFS and our CFS system is a literal rethinking of residential schools but with hotels so

Huh. Welp.

His name came up today and I saw he was an old provincial NDP so I thought I'd ask.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Maxim Bernier was arrested today hahahaha

lol. What for?