Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The electrical crackling at the end of that scene ... very bad vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

multijoe posted:

The electrical crackling at the end of that scene ... very bad vibes

And the episode closes with the band playing Audrey’s Dance backwards.

nopants
May 29, 2004
it looks like twin peaks is getting pulled off netflix. does anyone know if it is still going to be on hulu? i worried that something stupid happened like peacock buying the rights to it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

HD DAD posted:

I always thought of the Audrey plot as a small mirror of the overarching plot of season 3. She’s trapped in a dream state at her home, finally breaks free at the Roadhouse, and wakes up somewhere else. I thought this was pretty analogous to Cooper breaking out of Twin Peaks, saving Laura, and ending up as Richard.

Oh. Hmm. I like that interpretation. Much less disjointed than I had originally thought.

Ok. So if you have a good read on this stuff maybe clear one thing up for me.

What's up with the shovels.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

shoeberto posted:

Oh. Hmm. I like that interpretation. Much less disjointed than I had originally thought.

I’ll also add that before both Audrey and Coop “transition”, they’re both engaged in something set to music, dancing and sex.

shoeberto posted:

They shovel you out of the poo poo! :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HD DAD posted:

They shovel you out of the poo poo! :haw:

Oh are those FUCKS at it again? :mad:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shoeberto posted:

They represent the hollowness of consumerism

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
S3 ending but it's Audrey screaming at billy zanes newest hairpiece

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I posted that jokingly then ended up spending time speculating on it, so here's my theory: Lynch wanted a happy ending for Ed and Norma where they end up together. So there needed to be some way to get Nadine to leave Ed, because he'd never leave her. So the whole shovel thing was just using the existing characters of Twin Peaks, pulling them into the modern era, and creating something that Nadine would get obsessed with to the point of giving up her marriage.

It seems naive to think Lynch would tack on a self-contained subplot purely as fan service, but that's all I got.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It doesn't have to be 5d chess.
Jacoby has always been a cook. Dr amp is perfectly in character for him. The shovel is just some money making scheme. He's might as well be selling brain pills and gorilla shaped dumbbells.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also I like to believe the Dr. Amp scenes are just barely concealed Mark Frost monologues regarding whatever pissed him off that day.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Maybe that's just what Lynch wants us to think.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
For all the S2 haterz
https://twitter.com/seinpeaks/status/1400585202536222723

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Personally I thought they were hilarious and thats good enough for me

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m watching through Twin Peaks with friends, the majority of which it is their first time and we are wading our way though the nadir of the second season and I gotta say, while it’s notable Lynch is gone, it’s still pretty good TV IMO.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What little I have seen of the bad times of season 2 is loving abominable. I picked one at random and its the one where Harry is a drunk now because Josie Packard was some kind of drug dealing assassin and Coop is trying to talk him down. This was after the fashion show scene. Goddamn I get mad just thinking about it. Just skip to the end of S2 after the mystery is revealed.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I definitely abandoned S2 during the shittiest parts on my original watch. I only finished after hearing how strong Fire Walk With Me and S3 ended up being.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Skipping episodes is for cowards.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would tell someone who's never seen the show before to watch every episode, and probably make my best effort not to give my own impressions of season 2 before they've had a chance to draw their own conclusions.

That being said, if it's just me or other people who've watched everything and know where it's going, yeah gently caress that poo poo lol

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Imagine not even watching it one time. Ridiculous.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

antidote posted:

Imagine not even watching it one time. Ridiculous.
Makes more sense than sitting through a bunch of awful TV because reasons, staining the rest of your viewing experience in the process

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There are some great scenes mixed in among the chaos of season 2.

Like the major explaining that a soul has to pass through the black lodge and face it's shadow self. Something refered to as the dweller on the threshold.

Gives a ton of context for season 3 and Audrey.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
More Nadine, always!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The Klowner posted:

I would tell someone who's never seen the show before to watch every episode, and probably make my best effort not to give my own impressions of season 2 before they've had a chance to draw their own conclusions.

That being said, if it's just me or other people who've watched everything and know where it's going, yeah gently caress that poo poo lol

Yeah, I wish I had just gotten the advice to power through s2. I ended up doing it, but my viewing spanned like 2 full years because I just found it so loving annoying. It was the foreknowledge that Lynch was no longer involved, the show getting canceled, and just the sheer cringeyness of some of the scenes that made it seem pointless to follow through with. I'm glad I did ultimately though.

But I will never watch that terrible sequence with Donna, James, and Maddy singing together ever, ever, ever again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You can't really appreciate the 'James was always cool' line until you've suffered through every single one of his plotlines imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s in an episode Lynch directed lol

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just You is an amazing scene, fuckouttahere.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The first nine and last two episodes season two are just as good, if not better than, season one. :colbert:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Just you thinks that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

The first nine and last two episodes season two are just as good, if not better than, season one. :colbert:

:emptyquote:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

multijoe posted:

You can't really appreciate the 'James was always cool' line until you've suffered through every single one of his plotlines imo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

multijoe posted:

Seriously, it's all worth it just for that and his performance at the Roadhouse.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Amazing scene, terrible song

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Incorrect

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its one of the best scenes in the whole show, and its a pivotal moment in the whole donna and james teenage sleuth plotline. these three dorky teens who’ve been projecting this adult 50s coolness—James acting like he’s James Dean—and its both ironic and deeply human that this facade of disaffected coolness drops—that they realize how entirely out of their element they are—not during one of their reckless investigations, but in a moment as mundane as trying to sing a song together. No matter how hard they try they’re still beleaguered bt these teenage emotions. Its a tragic situation, for these kids to be stuck between these silly yet real feelings of teenage angst, and to also be dealing with the seriously heavy grief of their friend having been horrifically murdered.

its a quintessential David Lynch directed scene

e: sorry this post is a mess, phoneposting on the run

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Both of them :yeah:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its one of the best scenes in the whole show, and its a pivotal moment in the whole donna and james teenage sleuth plotline. these three dorky teens who’ve been projecting this adult 50s coolness—James acting like he’s James Dean—and its both ironic and deeply human that this facade of disaffected coolness drops—that they realize how entirely out of their element they are—not during one of their reckless investigations, but in a moment as mundane as trying to sing a song together. No matter how hard they try they’re still beleaguered bt these teenage emotions. Its a tragic situation, for these kids to be stuck between these silly yet real feelings of teenage angst, and to also be dealing with the seriously heavy grief of their friend having been horrifically murdered.

its a quintessential David Lynch directed scene

e: sorry this post is a mess, phoneposting on the run

Also: what happens immediately following them singing the song

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

shoeberto posted:

But I will never watch that terrible sequence with Donna, James, and Maddy singing together ever, ever, ever again.

that scene rocks

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Consummate Professional posted:

More Nadine, always!

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Makes more sense than sitting through a bunch of awful TV because reasons, staining the rest of your viewing experience in the process

There's still good stuff in there. I understand not wanting to rewatch something you didn't like, but this seems silly to me.