Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Anyone have any luck cancelling their preorder for the GMMKpro before actually getting their ticket? I know they said they couldn't do anything about it after 10 days but that seems silly.

edit: I'm cursed with starting new pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Constellation I posted:

You joke but that's exactly what I did for my good ol' Zhuque TKL (first Kailh hotswap board on the market all for the price of $30 CAD) So no shame there.

I'm probably buying Space Dust and keyswitches. I may or may not put them on my Wormier k66.

quote:

"We believe that RGB lighting detracts from the elegance of the board." I heavily dislike rgb and its associated aesthetic so it won't be offered on the Paragon.
What a lovely attitude.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 6, 2021

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Anyone have any luck cancelling their preorder for the GMMKpro before actually getting their ticket? I know they said they couldn't do anything about it after 10 days but that seems silly.

edit: I'm cursed with starting new pages.

Cancelled mine without an issue, just submit a ticket through the website, if you haven't made an account yet make sure you use the same email address you used to pre-order.

Got kind of hosed on the recent CAD/USD exchange rate though.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Finally got the palm rest kit for the Freestyle 2 I have at work, and unsurprisingly it turns out the right half of the keyboard is slightly warped & pressure on the palm rest makes it rock back and forth slightly as I type. I guess I can only expect so much out of a cheap plastic case with rubber dome feet but that's disappointing to say the least considering how heavily I have to use the right side. (It's not the palm rest either, just the keyboard section itself does the same thing if I remove the rest, just never noticed because my hand had to float previously.)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Three things.

Threads thoughts on ergo clears? I like my mx browns but want more tactility without it being super heavy. Most of the common tactical switches are extremely heavy. Unless I’m missing some that are a good mix of light activation force but stronger tactility than the Browns?

Or are gateron Browns better than Cherry browns?

Also, threads thoughts on this pre order?

https://shop.modedesigns.com/blogs/updates/updates-introducing-the-sixtyfive

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 10, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

LionArcher posted:

Three things.

Threads thoughts on ergo clears? I like my mx browns but want more tactility without it being super heavy. Most of the common tactical switches are extremely heavy. Unless I’m missing some that are a good mix of light activation force but stronger tactility than the Browns?

Or are gateron Browns better than Cherry browns?

Also, threads thoughts on this pre order?

https://shop.modedesigns.com/blogs/updates/updates-introducing-the-sixtyfive

1. Consider Pewter switches. They're basically retuned fancy MX Browns.

e: Ctrl+F Pewter on Theremin Goat's MX Brown review: https://www.theremingoat.com/blog/cherry-mx-brown-switch-review?rq=pewter
There's also a comparison of other switches that might be to your liking.

quote:

- The first, most noticeable difference between these two switches is that the Pewters are by far significantly less tactile and have a much lighter bump than the Cherry MX Browns.

- As well, being that these are factory lubed switches produced at JWK, the Pewter switches are significantly more smooth and have noticeably less wobble.

- The tactile bump of the Pewters, while fairly centrally located relative to other tactile switch offerings currently, is still a bit earlier in the stroke than the Cherry MX Browns.

2. Gateron equivalents of Cherry MX switches are, on average, at least as good or better.
3. I like a lot of what Mode is doing from a vendor perspective (e.g. the configurator, accelerated fulfillment), but I wouldn't buy this personally until I understand what the mounting systems are like. That said, the Mode 80 was really successful and a lot of people really liked that keyboard. At the end of the day, keyboards are all preference, so as long as it makes you happy and checks the boxes you care about at a price you're willing to pay, then it's a good buy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

LionArcher posted:

Threads thoughts on ergo clears? I like my mx browns but want more tactility without it being super heavy. Most of the common tactical switches are extremely heavy.

The goal of a tactile switch should be to help you avoid bottoming out so you have less finger travel.

IMO a switch that has heavy tactile force *and* a light spring is ergonomically dumb: because the actuation force is as high (or higher!) than the bottoming force, you actuate the switch and then "fall" down to the bottom. This is actively bad for your fingers. I can certainly imagine that some people manage to avoid that by adapting to it and learning to pull off as soon as they feel the tactile point. But IMO it's more likely that you end up typing like clack clack clackity-clack.

An ergo clear with black springs isn't so bad: the black spring is a bit lighter than the normal clear, but not so light that the tactile force is higher than the spring force. Anything with lighter springs than that is IMO a questionable idea.

(This is why I'm generally a bit sus on the opinions of the biggest keyboard influencer around, Chyrosran22. He types loving hard, enjoys the heavy thunk sound of bottoming out on vintage keyboards, and highly rates some switches that have tactile force matching or exceeding bottoming force. Watch him type on standard MX Clears, realize that he's bottoming out a fair amount on those fuckers, and ask whether his preferences are really what you want to follow.)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I agree. This whole light linear switch thing is huring my fingers. I smash my keys down coming from years of old school boards and I need some cushion.

I got some Box Pinks and some Gateron Oranges to try out as a result.

Yeah I type exactly like Chyrosran22. But is not at all the biggest infuencer. If he was I could buy more loving 104 boards.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Anyone try out those Akko switches? I’m tempted to get a set, particularly the tactile blues, which aren’t clicky.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

interrodactyl posted:

1. Consider Pewter switches. They're basically retuned fancy MX Browns.

e: Ctrl+F Pewter on Theremin Goat's MX Brown review: https://www.theremingoat.com/blog/cherry-mx-brown-switch-review?rq=pewter
There's also a comparison of other switches that might be to your liking.

Brown switches but with less of a bump? Browns are already nigh-on being linear with how mild their bumps are. Pewters would surely only qualify as tactile on a technicality.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Ringo Star Get posted:

Anyone try out those Akko switches? I’m tempted to get a set, particularly the tactile blues, which aren’t clicky.

I recently saw a video of someone using the Rose Red ones and they sounded pretty nice.

They're pretty cheap, may as well check 'em out?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ive got an Akko Macaw with Akko orange switches. They are okay I guess. Too light for my smashy fingers but otherwise smooth and not annoying.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My tester has a Aliaz 100g. Lol why does that exist?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Hello friends! I made some custom FR4 plates for the GMMK Pro and I'm finally really to make them available. If you own a GMMK Pro, I think you'll really like this over the official plates that Glorious offers. For starters, any of your favorite stabilizers will fit just fine with these. If you'd like to buy one, you can find them here:
https://avxworks.com/products/gmmk-pro-fr4-plate

Also, if you'd like to save $5, at checkout use code: ILOVEAVXWORKS

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gearman posted:

Hello friends! I made some custom FR4 plates for the GMMK Pro and I'm finally really to make them available. If you own a GMMK Pro, I think you'll really like this over the official plates that Glorious offers. For starters, any of your favorite stabilizers will fit just fine with these. If you'd like to buy one, you can find them here:
https://avxworks.com/products/gmmk-pro-fr4-plate

Also, if you'd like to save $5, at checkout use code: ILOVEAVXWORKS

I haven't even ordered the board yet (and probably will in August) but am tempted to grab this. Do you have any video of what it sounds like?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Speaking of the GMMK Pro, good news for Canadians. OneofZero looks to have Pro's in stock:
https://oneofzero.net/collections/glorious-pc-gaming-race/products/glorious-gmmk-pro?variant=39505168990387

I started checking retailers after getting tired of the 3 month Glorious wait. Order placed this afternoon for the black version and it actually shipped out about 15 minutes ago and will arrive tomorrow. A good option for us Northerners to avoid DHL and customs.

Ironically, now my board is arriving before the accessories and keycaps will :negative:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

speaking of keycaps, can more people start making XDA PBT please? Most of them are super cheap, and while I like some, I want more color options for this profile. (the greatest profile out there).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

speaking of keycaps, can more people start making XDA PBT please? Most of them are super cheap, and while I like some, I want more color options for this profile. (the greatest profile out there).

Wow and let poors have fun keycaps? Not on my watch!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

LionArcher posted:

I haven't even ordered the board yet (and probably will in August) but am tempted to grab this. Do you have any video of what it sounds like?

I don't have a typing test yet but there is this very good video with typing tests between several different types of plates. It's a much better video than I could make: https://youtu.be/5qNqU2yggmk

That said, I'll likely always have some available, so there's no worry about missing out. When and if you'd like one in the future, drop me a message, or just post in here, and I'll generate a discount code to keep it at $20 (they're going up to $25 after this initial run).

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

SpicyPete posted:

Speaking of the GMMK Pro, good news for Canadians. OneofZero looks to have Pro's in stock:
https://oneofzero.net/collections/glorious-pc-gaming-race/products/glorious-gmmk-pro?variant=39505168990387

I started checking retailers after getting tired of the 3 month Glorious wait. Order placed this afternoon for the black version and it actually shipped out about 15 minutes ago and will arrive tomorrow. A good option for us Northerners to avoid DHL and customs.

Ironically, now my board is arriving before the accessories and keycaps will :negative:

I had an early preorder for one. It shipped from California to me in Alberta in early May. Or was supposed to. It ended up in rural Germany before DHL recognized the error. It left Germany for Canada on May 26th and hasn’t been heard from since.

Glorious refunded me shipping ($30 USD). Compared to most group buys from GeekHack it’s still going quite smoothly/quickly.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I got the GMMK Pro. Ordered back in December and only arrived about a week ago.

Along with it I bought Kailh White switches and Glorious' White Aura keycaps.

... I think I regret the white caps. It's just *too* bright. I may swap them for black, which hopefully will look nice / not goofy with the white (silver, really) GMMK Pro.

Anyone want to recommend some caps to darken this thing a bit? Ideally some that will look nice with the white model board?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Scored me 5 packs of Banana Splits today. Thanks for the help, Gearman :unsmith:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I got the GMMK Pro. Ordered back in December and only arrived about a week ago.

Along with it I bought Kailh White switches and Glorious' White Aura keycaps.

... I think I regret the white caps. It's just *too* bright. I may swap them for black, which hopefully will look nice / not goofy with the white (silver, really) GMMK Pro.

Anyone want to recommend some caps to darken this thing a bit? Ideally some that will look nice with the white model board?

If it's in your budget, join us in MT3 Land.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DFDXMV/

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I kind of want to start going bananas buying GMK sets off GB's, but know there are more sets I'll buy than ever actually use in a build. Anyone here have any perspective on or experience with Key Set aftermarket selling? I'm hardly trying to run a side hustle, but figure if I'm going to spend my (expendable) money on dumb things I should at least make sure I've got some ability to recoup costs down the line.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You can take a peek at the r/mechmarket subreddit and kinda gauge how much things are going for and the interest. People are pretty picky with ABS shine though, so unless it's a super rare GMK set then that factors in to prices as well.

Also just added a buy-sell-trade section on the goon discord!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
thinking bout dropping $180 or whatever on DSS carpinteria

does anyone have experience with DSS profile? i am using Cherry profile now and like it fine, what should I expect

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DrHammond posted:

I kind of want to start going bananas buying GMK sets off GB's, but know there are more sets I'll buy than ever actually use in a build. Anyone here have any perspective on or experience with Key Set aftermarket selling? I'm hardly trying to run a side hustle, but figure if I'm going to spend my (expendable) money on dumb things I should at least make sure I've got some ability to recoup costs down the line.

I mean... if you don't want to deal with /mm then just post them in here and I'll probably buy them all.
But yeah you could be a cool goon and post in the Goon Keyboard Club Discord and I'm sure you would have no problem selling them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thinking bout dropping $180 or whatever on DSS carpinteria

does anyone have experience with DSS profile? i am using Cherry profile now and like it fine, what should I expect

I daily DSS and love it. I bought mostly for quick turn around but I wound up preferring it in certain things (like on Prime Elise w/ FR4)
It's like a baby SA profile. Texture is good imo. Quality is very good. I recommend getting in on it. Turnaround will be quick so you'll find out real fast if you like the profile or not. Plus I don't foresee selling them being much of a problem. They're not as hyped as GMK sets but they move and you'll have them in hand while people still have another 13 months left to wait for the GMK set they ordered this month.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
My 808-Boom set finally arrived - I can't speak for their quality compared to anything else, but neither the keys nor the deskmat have any obvious flaws.

Now I need to order LEDs, which I have forgotten to do for several months. And I guess I need to decide; originally I had planned to get all white LEDs, but now I kind of want to get red/orange/yellow LEDs for the red/orange/yellow keys - if I ever want to swap the set out for something else, though, I guess I'd have to desolder them and replace them. I think I'm too lazy for that TBH, but it sounds so appealing...

e: forgot to ask the actual question. How do I tell how to install my LEDs based on switch type? I have some Box Purples, which have a little slot with a bar across it - I assume the LED just sits on top of that?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 18, 2021

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It's been a while, but what you're looking for are through hole LEDs. They typically come in: 1.8mm, 3mm, 2x3x4

1.8mm is a round-ish LED and least likely to have clearance issues

3mm LEDs may have clearance issues with certain keycaps AND switches, so 1.8mm is advised.

2x3x4 is rectangle-ish and meant to fit in those switches with little slots like the ones in the BOX Purple, but I'd search the internet just to confirm. I guess in terms of looks, it will look the most flush with the right switches and should be brighter since it has more surface area than the 1.8mm LEDs.

With that said, I'd only install LEDs if you either really like the switch you have on there and don't plan on desoldering it, or if you have a desoldering gun. Having to desolder LEDs is an extra step that I totally don't find fun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Epsilon Plus posted:

My 808-Boom set finally arrived - I can't speak for their quality compared to anything else, but neither the keys nor the deskmat have any obvious flaws.

Now I need to order LEDs, which I have forgotten to do for several months. And I guess I need to decide; originally I had planned to get all white LEDs, but now I kind of want to get red/orange/yellow LEDs for the red/orange/yellow keys - if I ever want to swap the set out for something else, though, I guess I'd have to desolder them and replace them. I think I'm too lazy for that TBH, but it sounds so appealing...

e: forgot to ask the actual question. How do I tell how to install my LEDs based on switch type? I have some Box Purples, which have a little slot with a bar across it - I assume the LED just sits on top of that?

yo Red/Orange/Yellow LEDs would be sick.
I'm gonna assume you're not doing surface mount LEDs. In which case you would install and solder the switches, then install the LEDs through that slot on the switches, making sure the legs go through that slot on the switch the correct holes. Diodes are directional so you have to make sure the + leg goes in the + hole.
Constellation I nailed it though. Make sure you like the switches before committing to installing the LEDs. Not just because they're a pain to desolder, but also because they probably won't go back in the same if you have to desolder them.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I popped some switches in to meditate on the LED colors and what I want to do with the layout:

and I'm actually thinking just white might be best - that gold plate is gonna make the colors reflect weird. Or I can switch to the silver plate I bought that I just remembered I have... hrm hrm hrm.

Well, I'll post some pics when I actually get around to soldering it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

I popped some switches in to meditate on the LED colors and what I want to do with the layout:

and I'm actually thinking just white might be best - that gold plate is gonna make the colors reflect weird. Or I can switch to the silver plate I bought that I just remembered I have... hrm hrm hrm.

Well, I'll post some pics when I actually get around to soldering it.

That bottom board, I'm sure it's a long gone group buy but would there be anything stopping someone making the number row behave like the function row?

And ideally toggling numlock make the numpad enter the number row symbols 🤔

If so, I might need to rethink looking for a 96% and go for whatever layout that is.

e: though at this stage i'm inches away from learning CAD or something because any time I see a 96% or the above layout, any space saving gets immediately negated by stupidly massive frames.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's easy to test thru-hole LEDs by just pushing them thru, bending the wires out a bit so they touch the contacts, then you can turn it over

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ijyt posted:

That bottom board, I'm sure it's a long gone group buy but would there be anything stopping someone making the number row behave like the function row?

And ideally toggling numlock make the numpad enter the number row symbols 🤔

If so, I might need to rethink looking for a 96% and go for whatever layout that is.

e: though at this stage i'm inches away from learning CAD or something because any time I see a 96% or the above layout, any space saving gets immediately negated by stupidly massive frames.

Yes, with QMK & VIA/VIAL you can make any key behave like any other key.

For CAD, you can use a much smaller keyboard just fine by setting a key to be a layer toggle. For example, you could press the Layer key once and turn your 1-9 in to the numpad 1-9. Press the Layer key again and you turn your 1-9 keys in to F1-F9. Each Layer is an entirely new mapping and you can set any key to be whatever you want. People that use really small keyboards don't have to move their hands much to access numpad, arrows, etc. by using layers.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

ijyt posted:

It's the M0LLY in aluminium - there's a polycarbonate version you might be able to get extras for - and the PCB is VIA compatible, so you should be able to do whatever, right? This is my first Serious Board so I'm not sure, but VIA is like a step below QMK in terms of customizability/remapping, right?

also e: this came up in discussion earlier but TKC has some background of having rough QA/fulfillment and supposedly some of their senior staff have lovely political views, just FYI

e:

ijyt posted:

It -is- amusing telling people I have an eight-pound keyboard but I am wondering if the big frame is going to take some adjustment, yes

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 18, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

alright i bought a GMMK pro and of course it's ansi only
so i need to figure out where i can buy some ANSI keycaps that have a UK layout
shift-2 should be " not @ goddamnit

yes i can touch-type but i dont want my keycaps to be WRONG

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

hbag posted:

This may be a bit late, but they do make an ISO version of it: https://candykeys.com/product/gmmk-pro-iso

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Llamadeus posted:

This may be a bit late, but they do make an ISO version of it: https://candykeys.com/product/gmmk-pro-iso

very late, yes
their official site said it was ANSI only lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hbag posted:

so i need to figure out where i can buy some ANSI keycaps that have a UK layout
shift-2 should be " not @ goddamnit

yes i can touch-type but i dont want my keycaps to be WRONG

This reddit thread has some suggestions. Seems like options are limited but if you just want black + transparent for backlit the razer set is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Klyith posted:

This reddit thread has some suggestions. Seems like options are limited but if you just want black + transparent for backlit the razer set is decent.

some of these look alright, thanks
now hopefully theres an easy way to remap keys when i finally get the board itself
shift alt right