Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:thunk:

what ARE our values?

The value of "If we keep blowing hot farts, everyone will choose to stop raking in the sweet China's $$$ because"

Palladium has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat, why don't more countries outlaw sanctions on them?

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1402892456220368898?s=20

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

drat, why don't more countries outlaw sanctions on them?

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1402892456220368898?s=20

https://ec.europa.eu/info/business-economy-euro/banking-and-finance/international-relations/blocking-statute_en

They do but you have to have enough leverage to not have the US bring democracy to your country first

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what mechanisms will be put in place to force sanctions off?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

sanctions against US billionaires

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

indigi posted:

I think the the individual sanction/counter sanction lists US and China were shooting at each other's officials over HK and Xinjiang issues, during Trump's last year, but with a legal basis. Basically cutting of some Trump goons job opportunity of being employed by multinational corporates after their political careers.

I thought it was going to be new law backing up what China is punishing H&M and Nike over Xinjiang cotton issue, but I guess this law is not it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yo whats the deal with this Chinese podcast being advertised on the banners? Is it somehow affiliated with SA?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

this reminds me, how are liberals in the Philippines relating to the upheaval in Myanmar? I see it all tied into a "Milk-Tea Alliance" by outsiders, but I can't imagine liberals in the Philippines are thrilled by ethnic separatist militias and revolutionary groups taking to the countryside. Or does the anti-China sentiment help cover up those contradictions?

This reminded of it specifically because land mines are apparently a major part of some of the fronts in Myanmar according to a Radio War Nerd guest.

no one knows or cares about myanmar because there's so much poo poo happening in it lol. One of the bigger rebel groups is Chinese backed iirc up north (I forget the name). It's the independent state one, but again they absolutely don't know or care about these groups and likely just lump them all together as "the separatists" or "the rebels"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There are 3 pro-China groups in the north. Only China and Thailand do business with Myanmar anyway.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China must be humbled.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

indigi posted:

quote:

State media said the move was intended to provide a legal basis for China to respond to sanctions.

also ALAB podcast taught me about INSTEX. i guess america's dominance in world finance is starting to weaken enough for other powerful nations to get around sanctions in small ways.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/YetteSu/status/1402960040152215556

quote:

Here’s the irony: the Chinese communists don’t believe that “ethnic identity” truly exists – not in the long run. Rooted in Marxism-Leninism, the party maintains (at least, it did) that class is the only fundamental dimension of human identity. Other collective identities, such as nationality, religion and ethnicity are long-lasting but ultimately ephemeral fictions, constructed by those at the top of the economic pyramid to distract the poor from seeking comradeship with fellow proletarians.

Why would the party invest in something it doesn’t think exists? To neutralise it.

While other countries have used denialism as a tactic to combat perceived threats of internal ethnic diversity – insisting on the singularity and indivisibility of one’s nation by recognising as few minorities as possible, or perhaps none at all – the Chinese communist game plan was the opposite: to recognise ethnic diversity into irrelevance. To shepherd it into extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loheHNliFw0

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao he wants China to go back to the five dynasties and ten kingdoms

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i thought, drat, that dude must be suspicious of critical race theory

but I was very wrong

quote:

“This deeply historical, multidisciplinary volume consis-tently and fruitfully employs insights from critical race and whiteness studies in a new arena. In doing so it illuminates brightly how and when ideas about race and ethnicity change in the service of shifting configurations of power.”
DAVID ROEDIGER, author of How Race Survived U.S. History

“Offers a responsible, informative deconstruction of a monumental yet murky category. It is certain to have an enormous impact on the entire field of China studies.”
VICTOR H. MAIR, University of Pennsylvania

“A great book. By examining the social construction of hierarchy in China, sheds light on broad issues of cultural dominance and in-group favoritism.”

RICHARD DELGADO, author of Critical Race Theory: An Introduction“This collection of trenchant, penetrating essays interrogates what it means to be ‘Han’ in China, both historically and today. It will make a valuable and enduring contribution to our understanding of the uniqueness and complexity of Chinese history and culture.”
DRU GLADNEY, Pomona College

“A powerful, probing account of the idea of the ‘Han Chinese’—that deceptive category which, like ‘American,’ is so often presented as a natural default, even though it really is of recent vintage. . . . A feast for both Sinologists and comparativists everywhere.”
MAGNUS FISKESJÖ, Cornell University

THOMASS MULLANEY is a professor of history at Stanford University. JAMES LEIBOLD is senior lecturer and Asian studies program convenor at La Trobe University. STÉPHANE GROS is a research fellow at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique. ERIC VAN-DEN BUSSCHE is a Ph.D. candidate at Stanford University.

https://escholarship.org/uc/item/07s1h1rf

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol Stanford

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

"through COVAX"

"US-supported"

They're still doing this thing where they get to claim it's the US sending vaccines to the Philippines by the transitive property of the US being the top-donor to COVAX

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol look at all those crackers.

Leibold is part of the Jamestown ghoul thinktank and has co-published with Zenz (who is also part of Jamestown). iirc they've cited each other too, you know like a 2 girls 1 cup situations, but it's a pervert german and australian

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Grapplejack posted:

no one knows or cares about myanmar because there's so much poo poo happening in it lol. One of the bigger rebel groups is Chinese backed iirc up north (I forget the name). It's the independent state one, but again they absolutely don't know or care about these groups and likely just lump them all together as "the separatists" or "the rebels"

The amount of separatist or autonomist ethnic militias in Myanmar is in the double digits, so some simplification really is necessary.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
honestly i'd love a break down of the situation in Myanmar because it sounds dummy interesting but I don't even know where to begin digging for more info, or if I could even find decent english language sources

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zmej posted:

lol look at all those crackers.

Leibold is part of the Jamestown ghoul thinktank and has co-published with Zenz (who is also part of Jamestown). iirc they've cited each other too, you know like a 2 girls 1 cup situations, but it's a pervert german and australian

circumlocution is the soul of yellow peril racism

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*china desperately trying to downplay social and labor discontent dragging out executives from their meetings and executing them*

drat china that owns. lmao. keep doing that

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

comedyblissoption posted:

*china desperately trying to downplay social and labor discontent dragging out executives from their meetings and executing them*

drat china that owns. lmao. keep doing that

but can somebody think about those poor CCP-oppressed billionaires

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

mcclay posted:

honestly i'd love a break down of the situation in Myanmar because it sounds dummy interesting but I don't even know where to begin digging for more info, or if I could even find decent english language sources
Radio War Nerd recently invited a guy who's been living in and reporting on Burma/Myanmar for years. I had zero knowledge of Burma before listening and found it great. they do a brief history, explain the biggest/noteworthy factions, goes over recent events, and even some fun flag talk
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/120065263

he also created a conflict map to help understand all the different factions/armies. it's suggested to have it open as he talks: openburma.org

Zmej has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Jun 11, 2021

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Yo whats the deal with this Chinese podcast being advertised on the banners? Is it somehow affiliated with SA?

only listened to the first few episodes but they seem to go out of their way every so often to remind you that the CPC is bad and evil, actually

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i just found out that china is offering facilitation for visa applications for people who got chinese vaccines which still seems to be largely theoretical but whatever so i start trying to figure out where i can get a chinese vaccine then i learn that chinese vaccines dont exist in south korea despite their being offered some fairly early on apparently the south korean government made a conscious effort to avoid importing any chinese vaccines despite having basically no vaccines at all until a couple of weeks ago and also somewhat inexplicably exporting nearly all of the vaccines that theyre producing domestically

the official reason why they did this is because they called all the vaccines untested so wow literal antivaxx rhetoric nice the actual reason as far as i can tell was to reassure washington that south koreas totally on board with their plan of defeating the greater sino menace and to demonstrate their loyalty to this end the ruling party was both willing to play chicken with the risk of a new covid outbreak in the short term and also take a chance loving over the huge part of the population that really needed access to a chinese vaccine if only for travel reasons and now the whole thing is being spun as a fifth dimensional chess political masterstroke because it makes it harder for right wingers to play the xenophobic nationalist card

in summary

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crepeface posted:

ahh yes, our progressive asian gay left politician using red china propaganda from The Australian in her ads

https://twitter.com/SenatorWong/status/1403257954472587266?s=20

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1403017709898670086

The modern response "Heroiam slava!" (Glory to the heroes!) appeared in the 1930s among members of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) who started using this slogan,[4] The greeting Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes! became an official slogan of Stepan Bandera's OUN-B in April 1941.[5][4] Ukrainian nationalists often used it in addition to a roman salute.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/27khv/status/1403048062893793285

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/nakashimae/status/1403150746158309378

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Vasukhani posted:

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1403017709898670086

The modern response "Heroiam slava!" (Glory to the heroes!) appeared in the 1930s among members of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) who started using this slogan,[4] The greeting Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes! became an official slogan of Stepan Bandera's OUN-B in April 1941.[5][4] Ukrainian nationalists often used it in addition to a roman salute.

The US embassy in Kiev's twitter account was also tweeting out Heroiam slava!

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I think this Amnesty International report that's just come out is worth a bit of deeper attention, as you can bet yer rear end it will be used as a bludgeon by the anti-China/pro-US crowd in the coming days and weeks.

https://xinjiang.amnesty.org/

My initial reaction is to keep in mind that AI was originally founded as a UK intelligence asset and has historically taken a pro-West line including spreading the classic "soldiers taking babies from incubators" lie used to justify the Iraq war, so they're not exactly an unbiased source of information - but despite this bias they still don't go so far as to call anything a genocide. In fact Ctrl-F-ing the word "genocide" in the full report returns only one reference article from The Economist titled "Genocide is the wrong word for the horrors of Xinjiang".
Anyone have any more thoughts or insights into AI or this report?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ctrl + F = zenz many results

also it just seems to be the same bullshit. I skimmed but anything that includes that satellite crap like "oh look there are walls, this must be a concentration camp" really piss me off. I also read the part about how some guy working in a factory was paid but paid lowly and then he was allowed to get another job and go home. Like it seems like the same crap written into a new report

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Cookie Cutter posted:

Anyone have any more thoughts or insights into AI or this report?

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2021/03/bolivia-verdadero-compromiso-derechos-humanos-exige-justicia/

We strongly condemn the arresting and persecution of US backed coup leaders. Just because they order a massacre or two does not justify etc etc

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

uh huuuuh...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mcclay posted:

^

besides knowing that the lady before facilitated a genocide/ethnic cleansing i dont know jack poo poo about myanmar

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Completely dumbstruck by this, im crack pinging here

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
the "original approach" is just stalinism lmao

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
that article gets at something that really bothers me. China treats it's minorities with much more kindness than america. As an example, I grew up in LA, which is (according to wikipedia) only 26% non hispanic white. You'd never know from driving around and stuff. However, in inner mongolia and xinjiang, "local" language is everywhere. subways, government buildings. this is despite the fact that mongolians are only 17% of the population of inner mongolia, however, as an autonomous district, the leader of the province is a mongolian.

Obviously a lot of this chinese pro minority stuff is just on paper, but just lol at reports like this when america is putting people in camps, enslaving people in prisons, and deporting citizens.

Or like, how there were protests or something about them closing down mongolian only language schools, or making them bilingual. in america that is the "melting pot" that we are taught is the thing that makes us great. imagine if like 60% of the schools in LA were just in spanish. Yet somehow america isn't constantly accused of cultural genocide (something that it's much more guilty of imo)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1402993007473750016?s=19

Russian-Iranian cooperation has deepened quite a lot these past five or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so what youre saying is that putins master plan when he rigged the election for trump was to exacerbate relations with iran so he could be buddies with the ayatollah how fiendish good thing bidens gonna tell putin no more iranian provocation right

right?