Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Horizon Burning posted:

turning a big dial taht says "Jihad" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

the spice is wrong bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dune coloring book was weirder then I remember.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It kinda looks like an episode of Archer when it was still good.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It kinda looks like an episode of Archer when it was still good.

Mohiam: Put your hand in the box

Paul: So are we not doing 'phrasing' or...

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

"Do you want sardaukar?! This is how we get sardaukar!!"

God drat I would love love love an H Jon Benjamin Paul Atreides

e: he's not on cameo, in case you were wondering

Ventral EggSac fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 11, 2021

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Your prescience is not recognized in No-room Kickass

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

We're going to the *sings in high pitched voice* No Ship Zone!

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Is Jihad funny to you, Mr Atreides?

I dunno, maybe a Jihad of clowns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is there really no unabridged dune audiobook? The full cast one is Absolutely Awful and very abridged, despite being listed as unabridged everywhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ventral EggSac posted:

But doctor, I *am* the Kwisatz Haderach

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can only get so prescient

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

no ship, sherlock

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ventral EggSac posted:

Is Jihad funny to you, Mr Atreides?

What the hell kind of fremen clown are you?

The giving water to the dead on the inside kind, I guess.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Bloop posted:

Now here's a little story I've got to tell
About the man Maud'dib you know so well
It started way back in history
With Agamemnon and the Benne G

I had a little wormy named Shai Hulud
Just me and my mormy and a litrejon
Riding across the land kicking up sand
Baron's posse on my tail 'cause I'm in demand
One lonely 'tredies I be
All by myself without nobody
The sun is beating down on my stillsuit hat
The air is gettin' hot for this aristocrat

Lookin' for a girl I ran into a guy
His name it was Jamis, I said, "Howdy" he said, "Die"
He told a little story that sounded well rehearsed
Four days from the sietch and i'd be dying of thirst
The blade was in my hand and he was on my tip
His voice was hoarse, his throat was dry and he asked me for a sip
He said, "Can I get some?"
I said, you can't get none!
Had a chance to run
He pulled out his lasgun
Quick on the draw, I thought I'd be dead
He put the gun to my head and this is what he said,

:perfect:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

"Can you administer vaginal pulsing?"

"I can control genital temperature. I know and can arouse the fifty-one excitation points."

"...sploosh"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pam is kinda how I picture nayla at the bottom of the wall

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

you call that water discipline

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

kiimo posted:

you call that water discipline

If the Stillsuit collects urine and feces, then there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't collect other fluids.

Come to think of it, the stillsuit must have some sort of highly advanced cooling/breathing system as a function of it's fibers. Walking around the desert in a non-breathable full body suit? You'd heat stroke out in minutes.
So, you'd lose some water through sweat evaporation. There is no way around that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I said earlier in this thread that I choose to believe the stillsuit bathes the wearer and removes the filth in order for Dune to be enjoyable.

The stillsuit can be as futuristic and complex as you want to in order to make the story work, including cooling and aerating skin and turning feces into beef jerky

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Johnny Aztec posted:

If the Stillsuit collects urine and feces, then there shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't collect other fluids.

Come to think of it, the stillsuit must have some sort of highly advanced cooling/breathing system as a function of it's fibers. Walking around the desert in a non-breathable full body suit? You'd heat stroke out in minutes.
So, you'd lose some water through sweat evaporation. There is no way around that

MAybe that is scientifically true, but the text says a thimble of water per day, mostly through the hands.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Liet Kynes says there's a way around that:

quote:

It's basically a micro-sandwich — a high-efficiency filter and heat-exchange system. The skin-contact layer's porous. Perspiration passes through it, having cooled the body ... near-normal evaporation process. The next two layers . . . include heat exchange filaments and salt precipitators. Salt's reclaimed. Motions of the body, especially breathing and some osmotic action provide the pumping force. Reclaimed water circulates to catchpockets from which you draw it through this tube in the clip at your neck... Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads. In the open desert, you wear this filter across your face, this tube in the nostrils with these plugs to ensure a tight fit. Breathe in through the mouth filter, out through the nose tube. With a Fremen suit in good working order, you won't lose more than a thimbleful of moisture a day...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Obviously stillsuits wouldn't work, but you might as well ask what sandworms eat.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

"I just walked into a giant underground closet! What is going on?"
"Oh, Paul had a deformed kid because his prescient vision was more like a prescient septic tank. Yeah, he was a coward so much, his son could only become a monster sandworm-person."
"Wait. Paul had a kid?"
"Paul is me, Leto is me, and you've been through this like a thousand times before. Surprise! Someone's been getting reborn as a serial ghola!"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Still suits and fremen in general smell like a lot of poo poo and unwashed pits with a little bit of cinnamon, it's the lore, deal with it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Still suits and fremen in general smell like a lot of poo poo and unwashed pits with a little bit of cinnamon, it's the lore, deal with it

Yeah, they make no bones that Fremen life is rough. I'm still pretty sure that spice is one of the few things that makes it tolerable.

And stillsuits are specifically advanced technology, and I imagine even the best ones still need regular maintenance and cleaning out. Probably something that Star Wars might have taken from Dune; super-advanced technology is still technology, it needs maintenance and repair, and can get old and worn out and obsolete. And there's mention of shoddy knockoff stillsuits that are probably more trouble than they're worth.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And stillsuits are specifically advanced technology, and I imagine even the best ones still need regular maintenance and cleaning out. Probably something that Star Wars might have taken from Dune; super-advanced technology is still technology, it needs maintenance and repair, and can get old and worn out and obsolete. And there's mention of shoddy knockoff stillsuits that are probably more trouble than they're worth.

"Urine and faeces are sorta processed in the thigh pads."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Murray Mantoinette posted:

"Can you administer vaginal pulsing?"

"I can control genital temperature. I know and can arouse the fifty-one excitation points."

"...sploosh"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FBS posted:

"I just walked into a giant underground closet! What is going on?"
"Oh, Paul had a deformed kid because his prescient vision was more like a prescient septic tank. Yeah, he was a coward so much, his son could only become a monster sandworm-person."
"Wait. Paul had a kid?"
"Paul is me, Leto is me, and you've been through this like a thousand times before. Surprise! Someone's been getting reborn as a serial ghola!"

If you've been born 99 times, you might be a Dumcan Idaho

*gets squashed by a worm royal carriage honking dixie*

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

"Urine and faeces are sorta processed in the thigh pads."

Apply directly to the black diamond

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

Obviously stillsuits wouldn't work, but you might as well ask what sandworms eat.

Barons, for one

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sandtrout grow into worms and eat other sandtrout, it's simple.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's a self-sustaining, Dave & Busters-style ecology

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5W2-xwG7GA&t=144s

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

kiimo posted:

Barons, for one

Actually does anyone get eaten by a worm in the books?

I can only think of the priests during Heretics. And the dead bodies of the Harkonnen guards in Dune.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Hypnolobster posted:

Is there really no unabridged dune audiobook? The full cast one is Absolutely Awful and very abridged, despite being listed as unabridged everywhere.

George Guidall narrated a version, but I didn't see it on audible so availability might be limited. cassette tape listing

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

exmachina posted:

Actually does anyone get eaten by a worm in the books?

I can only think of the priests during Heretics. And the dead bodies of the Harkonnen guards in Dune.

Liet is implied I think

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Gang Exploits the Melange Shortage

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A dramatic recreation of Paul to the Bene Geserit after taking the Water of Life

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R37e5630c...isl=&pid=ImgRaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Spinz posted:

Liet is implied I think

Liet died in a spice blow not a worm attack