Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Borrovan posted:

Why haven't I seen more crypto nerd tears,they must have been beautiful

As I understand it from very cursory research, all crypto nerds are either huge liars financial savants who unerringly sell and buy at just the right time, or they're of the opinion that rises rises are good because they're making money while price falls are also good because they can buy more to make even more money later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Nelson residents fight to overturn Pendle Council tree plantation
ANGRY residents in Nelson are bidding to overturn Pendle Council's decision to plant fruit trees on a nearby recreation ground.

I’m imagining drug dealers trying to lurk under a freshly planted young apple tree with like 10 leaves on it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yvonmukluk posted:

Look this is how you get Wood Elves and/or Beastmen, it's a legitimate concern. And we already have one lady living in a pond handing out swords.
I thought that Catholic guy said that there was a very different way that you get Beastmen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Niric posted:

As I understand it from very cursory research, all crypto nerds are either huge liars financial savants who unerringly sell and buy at just the right time, or they're of the opinion that rises rises are good because they're making money while price falls are also good because they can buy more to make even more money later

Exactly this, yes. Usually both.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Trickjaw posted:

Super Gammon, in his caravan, itching to blame the darkies and foreigners
https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/1403116139987845125?s=19

did he say something else because he's just talking about northern ireland in this :confused:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

mediaphage posted:

Nelson residents fight to overturn Pendle Council tree plantation
ANGRY residents in Nelson are bidding to overturn Pendle Council's decision to plant fruit trees on a nearby recreation ground.

-Outraged of Nelson

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if we had proper schemes for the children to go to, we wouldn't need to worry about drug dealing ents imo

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wolfsbane posted:

One of the things about living abroad for a few years is that it gives you some perspective on the country you grew up in. The biggest things that struck me about the UK after living in Germany were how lovely our drinking culture is, and how much this country loving despises its children. Just incredible amounts of fear and hatred.

Definitely this. Although through a constant shifting of rhetorical focus*, the children are both to be feared and despised, and over-protected and used as an excuse why progress is impossible.

Like, the "kids these days" moans never acknowledge who's in charge of letting the kids roam free, climb trees, build character in the fresh air.

*Actually it's just by dividing them into precious children (mine and those of people I know and like), and youths, whose hoodie pockets are sagging from the weight of knives and drugs.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

Going to start up a business where I sell drugs but I do it in a trenchcoat while smoking rollups in really obvious places and generally try to look as suspicious as possible at all times, it's ironic.

For an extra charge I can sell it to you out of a silver breifcase.

Make sure the briefcase casts a green glow on your face when you open it and I'm there.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Labour now the official party of transphobia

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1403251497597538304?s=21

Also while it’s not anything surprising because it was never done in good faith, it’s still incredibly frustrating to have seen the Labour right and the press scream about Labour not addressing antisemitism to their liking but making not a peep about Labour turning a blind eye to their TERF infestation

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Thanks Labour for taking the heat off the SNP *mops brow*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the press are all terfs too so why would they.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Noxville posted:

Labour now the official party of transphobia

https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1403251497597538304?s=21

Also while it’s not anything surprising because it was never done in good faith, it’s still incredibly frustrating to have seen the Labour right and the press scream about Labour not addressing antisemitism to their liking but making not a peep about Labour turning a blind eye to their TERF infestation
For gently caress's sake I helped get her elected :(

e: the loving cheek of that rainbow emoji

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

Also completely ignoring that often the loving TERFs are antisemites and antisemite promoters or at least adjacent to those people.

e: Apparently the mobile app turns all twitter links into embedded tweets unless you put :nws: in the post or similar.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 11, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Looks like the union fuckery is in full swing:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1402924066365915136?s=19

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1402918452885610498?s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

killerwhat posted:

I’m imagining drug dealers trying to lurk under a freshly planted young apple tree with like 10 leaves on it

It’s why orchards are notorious havens of illegality.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's USPOL, but I thought people here would get a kick out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuwsu109YM

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Slight dilemma here (which probably wouldn't have happened had I not been a keen reader of this thread as I was oblivious to many of the issues!)

I'm on a project moving 'customer' data from one system to another. I'm extracting it from one system, fiddling about with it and someone else is importing it to the new system.
The new system has a 'gender' field which the existing does not.
I'd prefer to leave it empty and this is possible. The only 'choices' are Female / Male / blank.

The person doing the importing has (so far on a few 'test' records) been busily filling in the 'gender' field based on the names in the name field. (We have several thousand to import so doing it by hand for all of them is really not on. Even the 'salutation' field (Mr, Mrs etc) is empty in most of our records and she's busily filling that in too. It doesn't MATTER, it's completely irrelevant to the work we do and that field can be left empty too.)

I said 'do we even need this, can't we just leave it blank?' (I can't think of any need to have gender info relating to the 'customers' with the exception of a few very specific cases where they go to certain other countries where it could be very problematic - take my word for this, I don't want to be more specific). But the importer is pretty adamant that it should be put in.

The project coordinator didn't throw in her opinion and I'm not sure whether that's because she was a bit disengaged with the discussion at that point (something else was going on for her at the same time) or whether she just doesn't have a view. If importer gets her way, then I can see me being told to fill it in.

I can't afford to quit this project as I'm being paid and pennies are very short especially considering I am going to have to fork out for nearly £1500 (more than 2 months total income) over the next 2 months for emergency dental work that I was not expecting.

I don't know what I want from posting this, just opinions I guess!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

did he say something else because he's just talking about northern ireland in this :confused:

I don't even know where to begin with all the things wrong with what he's saying.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's USPOL, but I thought people here would get a kick out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuwsu109YM

HAHAHAHA there is that!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You absolutely should not be fabricating unnecessary details in personal records based on unconfirmed secondary data. It's at best inaccurate and taking up storage space which reduces performance, at worst it will end up being seen by the customers and they'll be angry every time it's wrong possibly costing you business.

If there's actual consequences for people if the wrong sex is used then I'd say it's extremely important not to be putting it in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gender stuff

I would say " we should not be imputing data not present in the original data set without a strong justification, as this could lead to potential issues re: data integrity. Especially for a metric as potentially sensitive as gender identity"

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Slight dilemma here (which probably wouldn't have happened had I not been a keen reader of this thread as I was oblivious to many of the issues!)

I'm on a project moving 'customer' data from one system to another. I'm extracting it from one system, fiddling about with it and someone else is importing it to the new system.
I'd prefer to leave it empty and this is possible. The only 'choices' are Female / Male / blank.

The person doing the importing has (so far on a few 'test' records) been busily filling in the 'gender' field based on the names in the name field. (We have several thousand to import so doing it by hand for all of them is really not on. Even the 'salutation' field (Mr, Mrs etc) is empty in most of our records and she's busily filling that in too. It doesn't MATTER, it's completely irrelevant to the work we do and that field can be left empty too.)

I said 'do we even need this, can't we just leave it blank?' (I can't think of any need to have gender info relating to the 'customers' with the exception of a few very specific cases where they go to certain other countries where it could be very problematic - take my word for this, I don't want to be more specific). But the importer is pretty adamant that it should be put in.

The project coordinator didn't throw in her opinion and I'm not sure whether that's because she was a bit disengaged with the discussion at that point (something else was going on for her at the same time) or whether she just doesn't have a view. If importer gets her way, then I can see me being told to fill it in.

I can't afford to quit this project as I'm being paid and pennies are very short especially considering I am going to have to fork out for nearly £1500 (more than 2 months total income) over the next 2 months for emergency dental work that I was not expecting.

I don't know what I want from posting this, just opinions I guess!
Possibly not legal due to data protection law (fabricating data, the customers haven't consented to that data being held, that sort of thing). No idea, but that's as good an excuse as any to persuade the dingus to stop making up genders for strangers.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ask the idiot what gender the name 'Sam' definitely is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sinky posted:

Ask the idiot what gender the name 'Sam' definitely is.

Fireperson Sam, innit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That's definitely asking to be fined for a data protection breach. Is there any sort of risk manager you could mention this to?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
FWIW I would probably be fired for fabricating data like that. Clinical trials are heavily regulated to international standards but obviously many of the same principles and concerns apply universally.

FDA Auditor to Failed Imagineer: "Why did you say this patient was Caucasian when they didn't give you any ethnicity data?"

Me: " idk, felt right?"

FDA: :fuckoff:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Borrovan posted:

Possibly not legal due to data protection law (fabricating data, the customers haven't consented to that data being held, that sort of thing). No idea, but that's as good an excuse as any to persuade the dingus to stop making up genders for strangers.

Yeah I think legal advice needs to be taken on this because I think you're at serious risk of breaching both data protection and equalities law if data is fabricated.

Flag it with your compliance officer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Gender Recognition Act 2004 defines information in relation to the gender recognition process as protected information, and specifies that anyone who acquires that information in an official capacity may be breaking the law if they disclose it without the person's consent.

That's not what's happening here, but if you're inputting gender by guess, and happen to put the incorrect one in for anyone who has applied for anything related to the GRA, and they notice, that could be putting the company up for a world of poo poo, so best not imo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

The Question IRL posted:

I don't even know where to begin with all the things wrong with what he's saying.

well can i ask that you make an attempt because i certainly don't get anything racist or xenophobic from it :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i mean i hate gammons yes but that's just an older man going on question time from his caravan to make a point about how he thinks the UK and the EU should work together to solve the problems introduced by the protocol to benefit people in both parts of ireland

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Gender stuff:
Thanks for your inputs, that has been really helpful.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i could be totally wrong and he could burn crosses in people's gardens and batter squirrels for fun and whatever else but from that video i see nothing that makes him a wrongun

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1403320082328133635

e: Thread whip-round?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:discourse:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I suppose Murdoch sees its value as a propaganda tool.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

How does a newspaper lose THAT much money, where the hell does it all go?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Borrovan posted:

For gently caress's sake I helped get her elected :(

e: the loving cheek of that rainbow emoji

If Martin Caton hadn't retired....

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

How does a newspaper lose THAT much money, where the hell does it all go?

Up their noses, and the rest is spent on R&D for new phone hacking tech and in setting libel actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gender stuff:
Thanks for your inputs, that has been really helpful.

It's risking a violation of GDPR Article 5(1)(d). PM me if you want a proper response you can send over to them.