Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think it’s more useful to ask what we think the symbol hell represents or points to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Well that is fine and dandy because I am in a symbolic Hell right now.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I believe in a literal place of separation from God, which my Church calls Hell. I do not believe God uses the threat of Hell to make us straighten up, or that God punishes us with it, though. God created us to know Him, love Him, and serve Him in this life, so as to be happy with Him forever in the next, but not because if we don't do those things he won't let us, but because we have to do those things so that we will find "constantly being in God's presence" something that makes us happy.

At the end of our lives, either we'll experience God's constant presence as infinite joy, or as humiliation, embarrassment, aggravation - for some of us it will remind us of getting to spend an entire day with our best friends, with absolutely no negative distractions, and for some of us it will remind us of having to spend an hour making polite conversation with our least-favorite coworker, with absolutely no positive distractions. So some of us will turn our back on the source of everything good, and choose to have nothing at all that is positive or pleasant; we'll be in Hell, and we'll be alone, and we'll be there forever, because we literally won't have time, time will not be a thing we have anymore, to change our minds.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

zonohedron posted:

I believe in a literal place of separation from God, which my Church calls Hell. I do not believe God uses the threat of Hell to make us straighten up, or that God punishes us with it, though. God created us to know Him, love Him, and serve Him in this life, so as to be happy with Him forever in the next, but not because if we don't do those things he won't let us, but because we have to do those things so that we will find "constantly being in God's presence" something that makes us happy.

At the end of our lives, either we'll experience God's constant presence as infinite joy, or as humiliation, embarrassment, aggravation - for some of us it will remind us of getting to spend an entire day with our best friends, with absolutely no negative distractions, and for some of us it will remind us of having to spend an hour making polite conversation with our least-favorite coworker, with absolutely no positive distractions. So some of us will turn our back on the source of everything good, and choose to have nothing at all that is positive or pleasant; we'll be in Hell, and we'll be alone, and we'll be there forever, because we literally won't have time, time will not be a thing we have anymore, to change our minds.

Yeah this is my take, something like the "grey town" in C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce." I don't believe there is a place created by God specifically to punish the wicked. Instead, some will be unable to leave behind their Earthly attachments and embrace God's love, so they'll exist in a state of misery that is either Purgatory or Hell depending on whether they eventually leave it or not.

My understanding is this is somewhat like the Orthodox conception where Heaven and Hell are not distinct "places" but instead different ways of relating to God's infinite loving presence.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think something similar except that separate from God is nothingness.

Hell points to the state where I am separated from God, separated from myself from who I am, and separated from everybody else. That’s an imminent threat; not something to worry about after my death but to worry about right now.

It’s overcome by grace.

After I die what was of me that didn’t have being will be nothing and the parts of me that had being will continue in God. Past that I hope for the resurrection of the body, but I think we only hope for things that are absent.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

zonohedron posted:

I can't remember, are Catholics permitted to be annihilationists? If I remember correctly some of the Early Church Fathers were?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I can't remember, are Catholics permitted to be annihilationists? If I remember correctly some of the Early Church Fathers were?

No. Your body and soul will exist forever.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I think it was swedenborg that had some idea about hell being basically a place for souls still stuck at 'sin is... Fun and good?' to learn from natural consequences why that's not true, but not meant to be torturous besides those natural consequences? And some souls leave heaven for hell bc heaven just ain't for them yet? That I think is fun to entertain, but that's mostly because if literal fire and brimstone Hell ends up being real then lol @ my atheist rear end

Spacegrass posted:

Does anyone here of the Christian faith believe in Hell? I have seen it; well, at least when I was really suffering.

I am interested in hearing more about this

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

I am interested in hearing more about this

I do not have the proper words to describe it without sounding like a complete lunatic, but it did seem real to me.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A vision by no means puts you outside of the religionthread crowd.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In Orthodoxy, the fires of hell is generally understood as the same fire of God's love that illuminates and deifies the saints. It's a fire that burns away sin, so if sin is all one has, if one is still attached to their passions even after death, then the fire is going to torment rather than glorify. St. Isaac the Syrian describes it as everlasting remorse, like being with someone you know you've wronged.

Fortunately, hell--that is, gehenna--technically doesn't exist yet, but is a state that will only come about with the Last Judgment. Until then, sinners go to Hades, where the torment is more the anticipation of future punishment than of one being carried out right now. And since the Last Judgment hasn't happened yet, the eternal destiny of these souls hasn't been settled yet. So it's entirely possible and even promoted in the Church to pray for the dead, do good deeds on their behalf, and commemorate them at the Liturgy, even those who might be in hell (as we do on Pentecost during Kneeling Vespers). And according to Tradition, it really does help. St. Macarius once spoke to a skull who described his torment as being in total darkness and isolation, and when people pray for the dead, they can begin to see each other. St. Gregory the Great is said to have prayed the emperor Trajan out of hell. And St. Xenia became a fool-for-Christ for the sake of her deceased husband. St. Mark of Ephesus taught that it will definitely be temporary for some people; that they'll be purified by their time in Hades, or by the prayers of the living, or even by the experience of death.

There's also the question of whether the future punishment will be everlasting or temporary. A lot of it depends on how you understand the use of "eternal punishment" in Matthew 25. Origen understood it to refer to the source of the fire (that is, God), but not the duration (there's a separate Greek word that definitely refers to duration, but it's not the one used). After the 5th Ecumenical Council, the standard teaching of the Church is that it is the duration. I personally take a paradoxical view: both universalism and (for lack of a better term) infernalism are true. The punishment will be temporary and corrective, like an emergency surgery. But since our relationship with time will presumably be different, the past won't necessarily be past anymore; it'll still be part of the one punished. Like how one tends to keep the scars after a surgery, or how the effects of an amputation never really go away. And until then, I can still pray that they'll be saved.

As for experiencing hell in this life, that happened to St. Silouan the Athonite, as he was preparing to join the monastery. His ultimate lesson was "Keep your mind in hell, and don't despair."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if u dont believe in hell, how can you explain... your posting ??? :iceburn::owned:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

if posting is hell then hail satan I'mma shitpost for eternity babeyyy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know I'm supposed to believe in hell but I can't really make it work with my conception of God. This may be a defect in me, though, rather than in the teaching. I'm not very orthodox, so to speak.

And yeah if you want to try to describe a religious or transcendent experience, this is a good thread for it, but I can understand if you don't even want to try. The few 'religious experiences' I've had are almost impossible to relate so that they sound like anything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HopperUK posted:

I know I'm supposed to believe in hell but I can't really make it work with my conception of God. This may be a defect in me, though, rather than in the teaching. I'm not very orthodox, so to speak.

And yeah if you want to try to describe a religious or transcendent experience, this is a good thread for it, but I can understand if you don't even want to try. The few 'religious experiences' I've had are almost impossible to relate so that they sound like anything.
What I'm getting from most of the posters here is that on a doctrinal basis, Hell isn't good, but the folk-wisdom version ("big pit of fire, literally eternal punishment if you don't make the cut") is, at best, a "well... I guess it COULD be like that... to a certain extent."

As for religious experiences, they are often very simple sounding. I had a profound one and it sounds like a one-paragraph ghost story!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nessus posted:

As for religious experiences, they are often very simple sounding. I had a profound one and it sounds like a one-paragraph ghost story!

Yeah one of the most profound experiences of my life comes down to 'I saw a very beautiful cloud' and like, there's no way to convey what actually happened.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Have you read this book?
That All Shall Be Saved

I've even read an argument from a Calvinist about universal salvation.

But Hart's lecture I listened to on this subject really made sense to me. Forget the sins of the sinner, those who love them can't truly be in Heaven knowing those they loved are in perpetual agony. Even the worst human being who ever lived had somebody who loved them and how can that person be experiencing joy knowing their father or son, mother or daughter, brother or sister, cousin or simple friend. is burning in hellfire?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross posting from another thread:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Forget the sins of the sinner, those who love them can't truly be in Heaven knowing those they loved are in perpetual agony. Even the worst human being who ever lived had somebody who loved them and how can that person be experiencing joy knowing their father or son, mother or daughter, brother or sister, cousin or simple friend. is burning in hellfire?

I'm not a Christian, but I'm curious about this topic - I asked someone (I forget who, a classmate probably) about this idea once and their explanation was that in Heaven people are apart from their worldly attachments including attachment to family, and that since they are with God they now understand and accept and agree with God's ultimate wisdom in sending the person-formerly-their-loved-one to Hell. We only balk at the idea now because we're a bit removed from God in the current world. Is this actually backed up, biblically or otherwise (various Church traditions etc)? Asking the thread not just you

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'm not a Christian, but I'm curious about this topic - I asked someone (I forget who, a classmate probably) about this idea once and their explanation was that in Heaven people are apart from their worldly attachments including attachment to family, and that since they are with God they now understand and accept and agree with God's ultimate wisdom in sending the person-formerly-their-loved-one to Hell. We only balk at the idea now because we're a bit removed from God in the current world. Is this actually backed up, biblically or otherwise (various Church traditions etc)? Asking the thread not just you

the first thing to say about this is that different groups of christians have different opinions about doctrines like this. some christians believe we will remember our earthly lives in the afterlife, some don't. some people believe we will be reunited with our loved ones and recognize them when we get to the afterlife, some believe this is not possible because our bodies and minds will be transformed into something totally different. it's a real grab bag of beliefs, and imo it is not really the most important area of doctrine because uh who cares about the exact specifics of some of this heaven stuff, the important thing is figuring out how to live the life you have right now

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Forget the sins of the sinner, those who love them can't truly be in Heaven knowing those they loved are in perpetual agony. Even the worst human being who ever lived had somebody who loved them and how can that person be experiencing joy knowing their father or son, mother or daughter, brother or sister, cousin or simple friend. is burning in hellfire?

Suppose I were to love somebody who had a drinking problem, and that person were to get a DUI and lost their license. I can still be happy even though my dear friend, or my close relative, or what-have-you, has been punished; I can, in fact, be happy that they've been punished. "That's perverse and disgusting, zonohedron! You can't compare the fires of hell to losing your license!" Well no, obviously, but I also can't compare the way I love someone in this life to the way that I will, God willing, love those I knew once I am in Heaven. I will see them as God sees them and love them as God loves them, and so if it is possible for a loving God to allow someone to separate themselves from Him, it seems like those in Heaven understand why God allows this, too.

To say "Hell can't exist, because God is love and Hell is unloving," is to beg the question; it's like saying, "Heaven cannot be a compensation for earthly suffering, because nothing could compensate for earthly suffering." (They are very similar assertions, besides both being question-begging; they're declaring that something can't be true because we don't understand it or don't like it.)

Killingyouguy! posted:

Aside from Lutha Martin's helpful reminder about different groups of Christians having different opinions, I would point out that some Christians whose denominations teach the existence of Hell would nevertheless object to the very framing of your question. For example, for Catholics, God doesn't send anyone (except the fallen angels) to Hell; we, by our lives, either choose God or not-God, and if we choose not-God, that's what we get. (Which, in turn, is why the modern Church doesn't talk about Limbo anymore - Limbo means "hem" and was something like the very edge of the hem of Heaven, where people who were unbaptized could experience perfect natural happiness, but no supernatural happiness. But if it's a question of what you choose with your life, someone who hasn't purposefully, knowingly rejected baptism might well have been doing their best to choose God over self, God over everything, their whole lives long, and in that case they should get what they chose, just like anyone else.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zonohedron posted:

Suppose I were to love somebody who had a drinking problem, and that person were to get a DUI and lost their license. I can still be happy even though my dear friend, or my close relative, or what-have-you, has been punished; I can, in fact, be happy that they've been punished. "That's perverse and disgusting, zonohedron! You can't compare the fires of hell to losing your license!" Well no, obviously, but I also can't compare the way I love someone in this life to the way that I will, God willing, love those I knew once I am in Heaven. I will see them as God sees them and love them as God loves them, and so if it is possible for a loving God to allow someone to separate themselves from Him, it seems like those in Heaven understand why God allows this, too.

To say "Hell can't exist, because God is love and Hell is unloving," is to beg the question; it's like saying, "Heaven cannot be a compensation for earthly suffering, because nothing could compensate for earthly suffering." (They are very similar assertions, besides both being question-begging; they're declaring that something can't be true because we don't understand it or don't like it.)

People only do things they understand. "I don't understand" is the equivalent of saying "I don't believe or agree" for most human beings.
And that's good. People shouldn't do things without knowing why and they shouldn't hold beliefs that are contradictory.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

People only do things they understand.

Honestly I don't think that's true at all. People do things all the time without understanding why they're doing them or, sometimes, what they're doing.

I also don't think 'I don't understand God sometimes' is the same as 'I don't believe in God sometimes'. It all depends how you approach the mysterious.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Honestly I don't think that's true at all. People do things all the time without understanding why they're doing them or, sometimes, what they're doing.

I also don't think 'I don't understand God sometimes' is the same as 'I don't believe in God sometimes'. It all depends how you approach the mysterious.

Of course the unconscious exists and explains a lot of nutty things we do but if you have an actively held belief like "I'm Christian" you wouldn't say "and I don't know why."

I don't think it's radical or unfair to say "God works in mysterious ways" just doesn't cut it for a lot of people.They want to know why God does the things he does and if his actions or existence is unbelievable or even reprehensible...they won't be Christains.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

HopperUK posted:

Nah, it's not just you. I can't reconcile eternal punishement on any level with a benevolent and omnipotent God either.

Just seems unfathomably petty to create humanity with the capacity for evil, not reveal your laws to them universally, and then decide that only the faithful should be spared eternal torment, so I tend to beleive that is probably humans imposing their personal sense of propriety.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maybe it's not so much Hell I don't believe in as it is hopelessness. I don't believe the God who walked among us and lived among us and fell in love with us and died for us and with us and then tore the entire natural order to shreds because it wasn't good enough would ever give up on us no matter how adamantly we've given up on him. I guess I don't believe in a Hell that has a lock on its gates, or a Heaven that doesn't have a fatted calf on standby for every prodigal son or daughter that eventually finds their way to its doors.

That being said, it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between what I believe and what I want to be true. There's a lot of overlap. And ultimately I don't know, and won't know for some time yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course the unconscious exists and explains a lot of nutty things we do but if you have an actively held belief like "I'm Christian" you wouldn't say "and I don't know why."

I don't think it's radical or unfair to say "God works in mysterious ways" just doesn't cut it for a lot of people.They want to know why God does the things he does and if his actions or existence is unbelievable or even reprehensible...they won't be Christains.

A lot of people of faith do and have said exactly that, though.

I don't know, I don't think it's radical or unfair to want answers either, to even demand those answers as Job did (and to not take "CHECK OUT THIS KICKASS SEA MONSTER I MADE" for an answer). I don't think that not getting those answers, or not being satisfied by them, need be an impediment to faith, though it certainly CAN be.

Like the classic analysis of the problem of suffering that concludes that a wholly benevolent, all-powerful God isn't in any way sensible. As a logical construction, that's certainly true; a benevolent God (as we understand benevolence) couldn't abide unnecessary pain, and an omnipotent God (as we understand omnipotence) wouldn't be so limited as to render any pain necessary. For a while I took comfort in the idea of a God that wasn't necessarily all-powerful, but was entirely on our side. Now I kind of just accept that there are answers (about suffering, about the nature of God's benevolence, about the nature of God's power) that I don't have and may not ever have, for all that it's worth striving for those answers (just because something's impossible doesn't make it not worth trying).

I can talk your ear off about what might be true, what I hope is true, what my opinion of that truth is. But ultimately, yeah. I believe. I don't really know why, sometimes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hell is real, awful, and we have a moral imperative to destroy it through transferring our good karma to those inside of it and attaining liberation in order to teach others.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
The problem of hell was on of the primary reasons I moved on from christianity. To me, it seems irreconcilable to say:
1. God is omnipotent.
2. God is good.
3. God is willing to let the unfaithful suffer (in some form or another) for eternity.

It seems to me that all three can't be true without stretching the conception of "good" so far from the common common understanding of the word that it is effectively meaningless.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

military cervix posted:

The problem of hell was on of the primary reasons I moved on from christianity. To me, it seems irreconcilable to say:
1. God is omnipotent.
2. God is good.
3. God is willing to let the unfaithful suffer (in some form or another) for eternity.

It seems to me that all three can't be true without stretching the conception of "good" so far from the common common understanding of the word that it is effectively meaningless.

Main argument I've heard for Hell under these principles is that for a lot of evil people Heaven would be so far out of what they could accept that it would just be another Hell if you forced them into it, so God lets them go. This ends badly because rejecting Heaven is a terrible idea, but if free will is a thing (and good and evil existing at all pretty much depends on it; is there any morality possible without choice?) then people have to be able to say no, even to good things.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

military cervix posted:

1. God is omnipotent.
2. God is good.

The gates of Hell are locked from the inside. People there would be there because they want to be, not because they have to be.

Their suffering would be their separation from God, and if they're fine with that, it's not really suffering.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

military cervix posted:

1. God is omnipotent.
2. God is good.

Think of it the other way around. Say God did exist, and you don't like him because you disagree with his morality. You like yours better. Wouldn't you want the opportunity to stay away from him?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

Think of it the other way around. Say God did exist, and you don't like him because you disagree with his morality. You like yours better. Wouldn't you want the opportunity to stay away from him?
This requires me to have a developed idea of my own morality, and a developed - and accurate - view of God's morality. It would also need these things to be relatively fixed - we could well posit that God's morality isn't going to change, but what about my own?

The first is probably achievable by most people without like, organic injuries to the nervous system, but it's not exactly trivial to do either. The second? The second is much more dubious. The consequences seem to be substantial, and the thing about "eternal" is that that's a really long time.

I have always appreciated the Mormon concept, which is that everyone's going to get a patient briefing from angels that explains everything and allows them to fully and completely get their questions answered before moving on to celestial, terrestrial, or telestial glory. Is it accurate, who knows - as a Buddhist, of course, I don't expect it to be - but it certainly seems rooted in compassion.

MadDogMike posted:

Main argument I've heard for Hell under these principles is that for a lot of evil people Heaven would be so far out of what they could accept that it would just be another Hell if you forced them into it, so God lets them go. This ends badly because rejecting Heaven is a terrible idea, but if free will is a thing (and good and evil existing at all pretty much depends on it; is there any morality possible without choice?) then people have to be able to say no, even to good things.
It would seem that you need some reconciliatory mechanism even so, just because of the scale of the stakes. If you can, more or less, depart Hell by getting right with yourself and with God (and, ideally, if there are ministering angels or similar) my own moral objections to the concept are greatly reduced.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Hell is real, awful, and we have a moral imperative to destroy it through transferring our good karma to those inside of it and attaining liberation in order to teach others.
:hmmyes: But what will become of the Fire Elephants if we empty out the hell realms

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well there is also apocatastasis.

That everything might be reconciled, restitution or restoration of everything back to God at the end, even the demonic.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So a longish post. Bare with me.

Some family members have belonged to a conservative church for some time. I didn't know how conservative till last summer when I visited for an extended period of time was in their bubble.
We're talking, straight up ties to Mike Pence born again and the Bible is against socialism bullshit.

I avoided talking to them about most stuff, but what's gross to me is their raising their children to believe all this stuff, and so far, the kids (boy and a girl) are in hook line and sinker.

So here's the things that are not consistent about the teachings (and I've read a lot more of the Bible over the last year than I ever have, and done a fair amount of research). The concept of faith in being connected to something greater makes sense. But if there is a higher power, and with what we know for a dead certainty about the universe (trillions of stars, billions of galaxies) and all that, the fact that this individual would impose incredibly strict rules that go against what we know about the natural world now seems... illogical.

Often times the church would say that the old testament is as important as the new testament, but the old testament God is a pretty lazy and terrible all powerful being, and I say that from reading the text.

Furthermore, the two big ones that the born again's talk about are homosexuality and (well now they focus just on Trans issues, but that's really what they're trying to focus on, and fear tactics around bathroom laws) and the elephant in the room abortion.

With both, Jesus said nothing about them, and with both, they basically aren't mentioned in the bible. Homosexuality is brought up in new texts several times, but those times it's been translated when it original meant pedophiles being bad.

Abortion was never an issue in terms of bible and the right either until they swerved into making it their brand in the 70's.

Furthermore, if there are people in this thread that are opposed to abortion (and that's fine, again I'm all about the individual having their ability to choose) how do you justify making things less safe for individuals who do not wish it, when it's supposed to be their decision and consequence with this God, and up for him to decide. Outlawing it does not decrease rates of abortions. Only access to birth control and proper sex education lowers rates to abortions. How do you ethically justify telling someone else what they get to chose to do with their body, and not instantly be aware that that attitude is built on sexism and oppressive patriarchy?

Again, if you don't want to have an abortion, and don't like them as an idea, that's totally fine. But demanding others follow that same belief is using those same beliefs in fact a sin, according to the very same rules that you believe and follow. And would't putting laws on the books limiting what others do in fact also an even worse sin?

I'm not trying to troll here, asking a group of people that I would hope would have a more consistent argument for those things that logically don't seem to have very strong argument.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LionArcher posted:

So a longish post. Bare with me.

Some family members have belonged to a conservative church for some time. I didn't know how conservative till last summer when I visited for an extended period of time was in their bubble.
We're talking, straight up ties to Mike Pence born again and the Bible is against socialism bullshit.

I avoided talking to them about most stuff, but what's gross to me is their raising their children to believe all this stuff, and so far, the kids (boy and a girl) are in hook line and sinker.

So here's the things that are not consistent about the teachings (and I've read a lot more of the Bible over the last year than I ever have, and done a fair amount of research). The concept of faith in being connected to something greater makes sense. But if there is a higher power, and with what we know for a dead certainty about the universe (trillions of stars, billions of galaxies) and all that, the fact that this individual would impose incredibly strict rules that go against what we know about the natural world now seems... illogical.

Often times the church would say that the old testament is as important as the new testament, but the old testament God is a pretty lazy and terrible all powerful being, and I say that from reading the text.

Furthermore, the two big ones that the born again's talk about are homosexuality and (well now they focus just on Trans issues, but that's really what they're trying to focus on, and fear tactics around bathroom laws) and the elephant in the room abortion.

With both, Jesus said nothing about them, and with both, they basically aren't mentioned in the bible. Homosexuality is brought up in new texts several times, but those times it's been translated when it original meant pedophiles being bad.

Abortion was never an issue in terms of bible and the right either until they swerved into making it their brand in the 70's.

Furthermore, if there are people in this thread that are opposed to abortion (and that's fine, again I'm all about the individual having their ability to choose) how do you justify making things less safe for individuals who do not wish it, when it's supposed to be their decision and consequence with this God, and up for him to decide. Outlawing it does not decrease rates of abortions. Only access to birth control and proper sex education lowers rates to abortions. How do you ethically justify telling someone else what they get to chose to do with their body, and not instantly be aware that that attitude is built on sexism and oppressive patriarchy?

Again, if you don't want to have an abortion, and don't like them as an idea, that's totally fine. But demanding others follow that same belief is using those same beliefs in fact a sin, according to the very same rules that you believe and follow. And would't putting laws on the books limiting what others do in fact also an even worse sin?

I'm not trying to troll here, asking a group of people that I would hope would have a more consistent argument for those things that logically don't seem to have very strong argument.

You won't find many people here that agree with them on very much. Conservative Evangelical Protestantism is kind of its own thing the rest of us do our best to ignore, or at least not engage with.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Honestly, I would say virtually every sentence you've written has an enormous quantity of background assumptions that requires probably an effortpost's worth of unpacking to even get to the point where you and a conservative/orthodox Christian would even be on the same page to start a discussion.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Conservative Evangelicals are a political movement, not a religious one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Are you asking for stronger Christian theological grounding for modern right-wing political positions? As the last couple goons said, even those of us with some theological closeness to the modern American evangelical Protestant Christian political project tend not to agree with that project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

military cervix posted:

1. God is omnipotent.
2. God is good.

if this post reflects the amount of thought and effort you put into it, i can see why you gave up. if it's not clear: i am not being complimentary