Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

There are many sources for female marine heads.

https://www.statuesqueminiatures.co.uk/heroic-scale

Oh nice, even better. I’ll have to buy a few instead of scrounging for bits.

Edit: uhh first post tax:

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Male space marines need giant gilt-edged purity seal encrusted codpieces.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Primaris marines were the perfect opportunity for GW to introduce female Marine by giving some technobabble about how the new process works on both males and females. But GW chose the coward's route.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Floppychop posted:

Primaris marines were the perfect opportunity for GW to introduce female Marine by giving some technobabble about how the new process works on both males and females. But GW chose the coward's route.

I was so annoyed that they didn't take that chance. Perfect in-lore opportunity to add them to the game, and since they're releasing a whole new line of models, perfect time to add some sculpts.

GW always chooses the coward's route.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I was so annoyed that they didn't take that chance. Perfect in-lore opportunity to add them to the game, and since they're releasing a whole new line of models, perfect time to add some sculpts.

GW always chooses the coward's route.

Then you get nerds like me that hate the sculpts where GW forces the model to have their helmet off. Space Marines are basically soulless murder robots made from flesh instead of metal, I don't need to see some generic grimacing face.

Also when almost all my models are helmeted I can make chuds pissy when they ask about them and I respond with "oh yeah, some of them are female, and the majority aren't white" or whatever response will get them most riled up.

And to add to the thread:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sisters exist to fill the void of female Primaris Marines. :shrug:

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Floppychop posted:

Then you get nerds like me that hate the sculpts where GW forces the model to have their helmet off. Space Marines are basically soulless murder robots made from flesh instead of metal, I don't need to see some generic grimacing face.

Also when almost all my models are helmeted I can make chuds pissy when they ask about them and I respond with "oh yeah, some of them are female, and the majority aren't white" or whatever response will get them most riled up.

And to add to the thread:

All this is missing is some hardbass

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Sisters exist to fill the void of female Primaris Marines. :shrug:

Not really, both from a gameplay and lore perspective.

While having similar statlines, Sisters are just people with good training and equipment. Marines and Primaris are essentially inhuman monsters, engineered to defend mankind while not really belonging or fitting in. A marine cant retire and take off their armour and go live a normal life.

Also sisters are still gross male gaze models, what with their shapely corset armour, boob-plate, form fitting thighs, and Battle High Heels (and don't even get me started on Repentia). Sure, not as bad as many other lines of women models out there, but far from great.

Edit: In-canon the fact that Marines are male only because *reasons*, and Sisters of Battle exist as an entity because of a legal loophole, doesn't really come across as good representation.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 10, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ignoring lore for a moment and looking at it from an outside perspective, then there are tiny plastic men in suits of power armor and tiny plastic women in suits of power armor. They both fight on the same side.

Really the only issue here is the boob armor on the tiny plastic women.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Moola posted:

this is how cool femarines could look if GW were not cowards

yes I know this is not a female space marine do not @ me

Especially Space Wolves. If you're doing the whole viking schtick you need Valkyries.

AndyElusive posted:

Stormcasts are cool and good since they're both male and female. AoS is pretty dope these days.

AoS 3 is making me consider a Stormcast army.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

(and don't even get me started on Repentia)

The new Repentia are a lot better:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cessna posted:

I that a chain mail garter on the left? :v:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Repentia are into the sackcloth and ashes mortification poo poo so it's probably supposed to be a chain cilice.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cessna posted:

Ya those loving rule.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Basically the equivalent of full plate mail as far as fantasy armor goes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Ya those loving rule.

I look at those and see modern shorts, shirts, and running shoes.

Someone did a little photoshopping and now I'm bummed this wasn't the route GW chose.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I mean that's cool as hell too. The ones GW made are perfect for conversions and customization, so I'm more bummed that nobody has green stuffed a model to look like that Photoshop yet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cessna posted:

They look like prison/asylum escapees, Sarah Connor in T2.

Not bad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cessna posted:

Especially Space Wolves. If you're doing the whole viking schtick you need Valkyries.

And Space Wolves are precisely the type to say "You know what? Women are badass." and tell anyone who complains the Ultramarines to shove the Codex Astartes up their rear end.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah, they've lost the conical and skull boobplates! :v:

The Lone Badger posted:

And Space Wolves are precisely the type to say "You know what? Women are badass." and tell anyone who complains the Ultramarines to shove the Codex Astartes up their rear end.

Was reading Godblight and there's a lovely line from Gulliman to an (even more stick up the arse) Custodes about how he's lucky he wasn't speaking to Russ because Russ would punch him in the face for not laughing at his joke.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 11, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Ignoring lore for a moment and looking at it from an outside perspective, then there are tiny plastic men in suits of power armor and tiny plastic women in suits of power armor. They both fight on the same side.

It's actually a lot more complicated than this

We chatted about it in the spec games thread for a while, which has some interesting view points if you feel like diving more deeply into the femarines issue

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moola posted:

It's actually a lot more complicated than this

We chatted about it in the spec games thread for a while, which has some interesting view points if you feel like diving more deeply into the femarines issue

got a link?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nope!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
While Sisters are *effectively* female space marines, GW took the problematic approach of trading an all-male army for an all-female army.

It's a polarised approach to diversity where you get both genders in the game but have to pick all of one or all of the other.

I hadn't thought about it before but yeah, they could have resolved it with the move to Primaris marines. It would have actually been a solid reason why they had to write a simple sculpting scale change awkwardly into game lore. Oh well.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You’ll regret the day you interfered with Lady Primaritrescu

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ugleb posted:

While Sisters are *effectively* female space marines, GW took the problematic approach of trading an all-male army for an all-female army.

It's a polarised approach to diversity where you get both genders in the game but have to pick all of one or all of the other.

I mean, souping is a thing. Sure it's not optimal, but for narrative games it can be fun. The trailer video for 9th ed had Sisters and Ultramarines fighting side by side, with scenes featuring characters from both factions saving the asses of each other.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Cessna posted:

Oh, I love the look of the new Repentia. They are terrifying and powerful.

But the idea of "these women sinned too hard and now have to fight until they die - naked" is a bit... Uhh...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

But the idea of "these women sinned too hard and now have to fight until they die - naked" is a bit... Uhh...

A bit too much like Dwarf Slayers?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Ken Russell presents...?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

They're moving away from "naked," which is good - these are a big improvement over the old Repentia. I'll admit to owning a bunch of the metal ones from back in the day, but they were pretty embarrassing. Personally I think Repentia should wear some sort of tattered rags, like a hair-shirt. It fits in with the whole "painful religious repentance" theme.

As far as the "sinned, have to die" thing I think it fits in with 40K. There's already a lot of heavily Catholic imagery there, and there are broadly similar themes in other armies, like the Blood Angels Death Company.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 11, 2021

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Isn't the definition of "sinned" pretty loose in the lore too? Like they encourage sisters who idly thought about maybe wanting to become a farmer instead of going up against an infinite tide of extra-galactic gribbles that they've committed unforgivable heresy so they can get more shock troops.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Len posted:

got a link?

If you read about 3 pages starting from here, you'll get most or all of it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804679&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=235#post514986543

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought also that if you survive multiple battles then you get to put the armour back on.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Isn't the definition of "sinned" pretty loose in the lore too? Like they encourage sisters who idly thought about maybe wanting to become a farmer instead of going up against an infinite tide of extra-galactic gribbles that they've committed unforgivable heresy so they can get more shock troops.

Yup, even stuff like a tactical retreat can be repentia-worthy sin if the higher ups deem it so.

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought also that if you survive multiple battles then you get to put the armour back on.

They do. But also if they gently caress up again while a reptentia they get strapped to a penitent engine.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Do you think those repentia who get their armour back get looked down on by the other sisters?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They probably have a “she did her time and is cleansed of sin” attitude

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The aesthetic of sisters and dudemarines works, they should just do a third, coed faction of slightly-more-human armored badasses imo

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The Guard?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

The aesthetic of sisters and dudemarines works, they should just do a third, coed faction of slightly-more-human armored badasses imo

The Imperial Guard would like you to know that they are the most inclusive military organisation in the galaxy. Sometimes they'll even take you if you tick "Genestealer" in that box.

They're very heavily armoured and are badasses to boot.

E:fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

My issue is that Space Marines are the main character protagonist number 1 guys of the game, and even though sisters are much more popular and better represented these days, they are still the "girl team". And they also still lean on the side of male gazey