Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

corn haver posted:

They're referring to intersections on thoroughfares disallowing left turns from the smaller intersecting road, forcing you to do a u-turn at the next intersection or at a designated turning location.

Wait sorry you are allowed to do U turns at junctions in the US, and this is... considered safer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Wait sorry you are allowed to do U turns at junctions in the US, and this is... considered safer?

Generally only if there's a left turn signal, since it would mean there's no traffic coming in the other direction.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

OwlFancier posted:

what do you know about the US that suggests safety would be a consideration. to me it’s weird that you wouldn’t do a u turn at the intersection, unless you’re just popping them wherever if cops aren’t looking.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And bear in mind that American suburban hell scapes like Charlotte are "cities" in the way a tangled box of Christmas lights are a spool

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Golbez posted:

I once got lost in Charlotte for hours, before smart phones. It doesn't help that they have a street that famously intersects itself along with the the infamous intersection of Queens, Queens, Providence, and Providence.

The local joke was that, when it came time to make roads, they just followed the cattle around.

I also got lost in the part of town where, if you take Sharon Amity Rd long enough, it turns into Sharon Ln, which then intersects with Sharon Rd.

A a Brazilian I'm used to cities much like São Paulo, but this is another level completely. :psyduck:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Powered Descent posted:

Source unknown, turned up in a "cringe dump" on imgur.

I showed this to a friend who is taking UX design classes and he told me this diagram was shown on their first lecture.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

AnoHito posted:

Generally only if there's a left turn signal, since it would mean there's no traffic coming in the other direction.

It happens a lot with divided boulevards and highways, and in some places there's even a dedicated u-turn lane

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

BuckT.Trend posted:

That graph can't be right for Seattle. The grid takes two major jogs to follow the waterfront, at Yesler and again at Denny.

I was very confused by Minneapolis for this reason too because the downtown grid is at a 45 degree angle due to the river, but I think downtown is a small enough area relative to the rest of the city that it only shows up as noise. Seattle might be similar if the city sprawls enough that the areas with grid changes are a small enough percentage of the total city area.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

blackmongoose posted:

I was very confused by Minneapolis for this reason too because the downtown grid is at a 45 degree angle due to the river, but I think downtown is a small enough area relative to the rest of the city that it only shows up as noise. Seattle might be similar if the city sprawls enough that the areas with grid changes are a small enough percentage of the total city area.

the diagonal streets of minneapolis show up on that chart, you just have to zoom in pretty far to see them. downtown streets and blocks are also a lot bigger and wider than the standard residential blocks, which probably pushes down the "miles of street per square mile of land" for downtown

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

what do you know about the US that suggests safety would be a consideration. to me it’s weird that you wouldn’t do a u turn at the intersection, unless you’re just popping them wherever if cops aren’t looking.

:stare:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Apparently uturns at intersections is an American thing? Next you'll tell me we're the only ones who turn right on red.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Golbez posted:

Apparently uturns at intersections is an American thing? Next you'll tell me we're the only ones who turn right on red.

Next you'll tell me Philadelphians are the only ones who turn left on red

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
You mean as in chaos in the streets, or the generally allowed rule of turning left on red from a one way to a one way?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I mean you've got to get to your Santa target lessons at the cheesesteak factory and there's no fuckin cop around so why not

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
American streets are wide as gently caress and even with the landships that are customary in that country, there is plenty of room to flip a U‐y in an intersection.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
U-turns are generally allowed at intersections unless there's a traffic light. E.g. this is fine:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

Source unknown, turned up in a "cringe dump" on imgur.

Jeff rocks.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

mobby_6kl posted:

U-turns are generally allowed at intersections unless there's a traffic light. E.g. this is fine:

I would have turned to the closest lane, but otherwise the same in Finland. I think the law just says to use "extraordinary caution" or something..

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/nvnqqd/cost_of_1gb_mobile_data_in_every_country/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Golbez posted:

In the UK you are generally not allowed to do U turns anywhere other than at roundabouts. Which are fortunately fairly common but if not you have to go down a side road and do a three point turn.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
on the one hand there's no reason to use circle size for the same metric as one of your axes and the other axis being literal nothing

but on the other pretty flags :911:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the other axis needs to be income per capita, otherwise it's pretty silly to visualize it this way

Letmebefrank posted:

I would have turned to the closest lane, but otherwise the same in Finland. I think the law just says to use "extraordinary caution" or something..
Might not be possible to make it into the closest lane if the median is small or non-existent though.

Also apparently while the u-turn itself is fine, there's some disagreement about who has the right of way I this case. Here it's Car 1 because they are on a priority road, but in Germany it's Car 2 because the situation is identical to car 1 turning left from the road on the right (which isn't in this picture)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I mean you've got to get to your Santa target lessons at the cheesesteak factory and there's no fuckin cop around so why not

:gritty:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:canada:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress driver 2 though, that rear end in a top hat doesn't have a clue how protected U-turns work :arghfist:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

on the one hand there's no reason to use circle size for the same metric as one of your axes and the other axis being literal nothing

but on the other pretty flags :911:

X Axis for population size would be good. Or number of networks

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Letmebefrank posted:

Interestingly, in Sweden it would be mandatory to turn into the right-hand lane since that's the "base travel lane". (Except if the lanes are signposted to different destinations.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the funny images thread:

Broke my goddamn until I realised that, no, it's just stupid.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
This guy's doing non-Euclidean political compii:

https://twitter.com/virgil_30/status/1270830645393195010

https://twitter.com/virgil_30/status/1270941198681858049

https://twitter.com/virgil_30/status/1271007289772855296

https://twitter.com/virgil_30/status/1271170013932793857

Lots more in the linked tweet thread!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Lmao those are brilliant

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

From the funny images thread:

Broke my goddamn until I realised that, no, it's just stupid.

this honestly feels like that 'random variable R = r' thing where it makes a distinction between the set of values and an arbitrary value

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Each band is a thousandth of world population.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Jun 11, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Magnificent. So many different ways this is worse than useless.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I actually like those two graphs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The same author made these maps with one hundred divisions, which are substantially less silly.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

That very small grey bar down the US Midwest is surprising. I guess it does line up the more populous bits of Mexico and Texas

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Platystemon posted:

substantially less silly.
Indeed. By an order of magnitude.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Still badly distorted due to their choice of map projection. It's pretty but meaningless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A cylindrical projection is the only reasonable option. Lines of latitude must remain level across the image or the whole concept fails. Pseudocylindrical projections would work for horizontal stripes but not vertical ones.

A case could be made for an equal-area projection (inc. the infamous Gall projection), but equirectangular, for consistent latitude–pixel correspondence, is a fine choice.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Platystemon posted:

The same author made these maps with one hundred divisions, which are substantially less silly.
Say what you want, I had no idea the southern tip of South America was so underinhabited. I just assumed there'd be a couple cities down near Tierra del Fuego to make that band less giant.