Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm always down to try out an MMO, unfortunately.

Is there anything going on in this one that makes it worth checking out if I hadn't already played it when it was live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
gently caress it I’m reinstalling SWG (again)

Gonna try the Legends server this time since I quit before the NGE.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Ehud posted:

Cross posting…

Lost Ark to the west was just announced at Summer Games Fest.

Fall 2021.

Tester sign up:

https://www.playlostark.com/en-us

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udwbd5X0zbg

Holy poo poo it's happening :monocle:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Lost Ark is an MMO-ARPG correct? Are the classes race/gender locked?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

MH Knights posted:

Lost Ark is an MMO-ARPG correct? Are the classes race/gender locked?
Pretty much. No idea how races work, but classes are gender locked.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm always down to try out an MMO, unfortunately.

Is there anything going on in this one that makes it worth checking out if I hadn't already played it when it was live?

It’s a kind of 3D beatemup jaction game with rpg stuff like Diablo style loot, crafting, enchanting and skill trees.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the one game amazon is going to put out that will be remotely successful so far is a game they didnt even make

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

eonwe posted:

the one game amazon is going to put out that will be remotely successful so far is a game they didnt even make

That's *why* it's going to be half decent

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
How bad is the pay stuff? Is it pay to win or is it setup where you can reasonably progress without having to buy everything?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The American release will only be cosmetic stuff. The Russian, and Korean version you could pay your way to level cap and having the best gear though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is Lost Ark played from a fixed top-down perspective like diablo? Looks like it, and if so that's a big disappointment.

Those games can be fun, but mostly as pure loot and beat-em-up, the world design isn't nearly as much of a focus for those style versus the full 3rd person MMO.

J
Jun 10, 2001

What's the endgame of lost ark like? I vaguely seem to remember hearing some stuff about how the progression is all gated behind daily/weekly quests and that sounds super boring.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Truga posted:

yeah ff14 definitely doesn't have any difficult content at all

Is this sarcasm? Because if not...just lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's obviously sarcasm, op

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

eonwe posted:

give amazon more credit: there's still time for them to screw it up

the western website also only shows a limited number of the classes available in other regions, but i'm hoping it's just for the alpha/beta, because they cut some really cool ones i was planning on trying

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

J posted:

What's the endgame of lost ark like? I vaguely seem to remember hearing some stuff about how the progression is all gated behind daily/weekly quests and that sounds super boring.

MMOs don't really have endgame anymore. You just run the hamster wheel repeatedly doomed to die alone with no real friends.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Virigoth posted:

MMOs don't really have endgame anymore. You just run the hamster wheel repeatedly doomed to die alone with no real friends.
Fashion is the endgame.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they are selling $100 lost ark packs on steam

im gonna pass on it

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I said come in! posted:

The Russian, and Korean version you could pay your way to level cap and having the best gear though.

You can straight purchase gear and levels from a real-money store? Or is it more like potions that increase XP and probabilities if BiS drops?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

eonwe posted:

they are selling $100 lost ark packs on steam

im gonna pass on it

my favorite part is the Free to Play tag on that package :lol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Fox posted:

You can straight purchase gear and levels from a real-money store? Or is it more like potions that increase XP and probabilities if BiS drops?

You can purchase gear and levels and there is a stamina system for how much content you can do in a day.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like a hard pass.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

Sounds like a hard pass.

I will report back today hopefully on the American cash shop. Amazon’s response was just that it’s optional. They gave vague run around answers.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cardboard Fox posted:

I remember seeing a video of a raid or boss of some sort, and you could like pay with a special currency to get even more drops at the end or some crap like that.

The MTX/MMO aspect of it is why I say that it's not your typical Western ARPG, but hopefully it won't be too obtrusive, especially since Amazon probably wants to use it to push their Prime Gaming subscriptions, too.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Imagine a boss where you can buy stuff during the fight to skip a mechanic.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If a button were to exist that, if pressed, automatically charged you a dollar and allowed you to stand in the red so you could top the dps meters, it would break the global economy.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

From the last time I looked you did PVE to increase your gear score by doing a set of dailies (raids, missions, etc) on as many characters as you can to feed your main. The biggest limiting factor was gold which could whaled for on the store. Once you ran out of dailies to do you basically could only do the PvP which is normalized gear level so it didn't even matter. The whole pve gearscore part is to basically swing your ego around as it doesn't effect pvp at all. There was also a pretty hard cap of gear level you could reach. Swiping basically helped you get there faster.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem sorts itself out if you can manage to dynamically match people such that pvpers see other pvpers but rpers see other rpers. But ideally going further than just those two binary traits, matching people based on age and gameplay preferences and style.
There's a section on that in Richard Bartle's excellent book about virtual worlds (from which the Bartle classification of player types comes) and basically the observed pattern is you're more prone to losing players if you segregate them by type. There are a handful of stable player populations in the short term but long term only a mix of all survives.

Don't mean that matchmaking is out, of course, but mixing players in the right proportions has to be the goal, not separating them.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm always shocked that Star Wars Galaxies is so fondly remembered. All I remember about it was being a teenager and seeing X-Play give it a low score by saying it was boring.
SWG shared designers with UO and was to a certain degree an further development of some of the ideas and ethos that had driven early UO so it's no surprise that it is still fondly remembered but also far enough from the canonical MMO pattern at that time to seem "boring" to people who don't like sandboxier MMOs.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 11, 2021

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Lost Ark is off to a great start. Test was supposed to start at Noon PST and the servers are still "experiencing issues". As far as I know they never went up. Isn't amazon one of the biggest server providers in the world?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Great marketing for AWS :hmmyes:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I assumed there's some "waiting for a guy in Korea to wake up" happening.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The servers are up finally, playing right now and its really stable even though the server is jam packed with players. So even though it was a long wait today, it was worth it, the game is very stable right now and there is no lag.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I was smart enough to check my e-mail an extra time for a Lost Ark invitaiton, and lo and behold, I missed a generic e-mail from Amazon.com (seriously?) with the subject "Your Lost Ark Code is inside!"

Just in case others are in the same situation.

There will also be Twitch drops for invitations:

https://twitter.com/BikeMan/status/1403109076641398784

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can we get a trip report from those of you playing?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kedo posted:

There’s more detail in the thread for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

Once the servers actually went up and were playable, the game was very smooth and lag free despite it being jam packed with players. The combat is really good too, for anyone who loved Diablo III combat, this is way better than that even.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Once the servers actually went up and were playable, the game was very smooth and lag free despite it being jam packed with players. The combat is really good too, for anyone who loved Diablo III combat, this is way better than that even.

Maybe it feels better but skill variety and customization are very lacking.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Aren't you hamstrung into a single build every season in Diablo 3 anyways? (it at least felt that way to me when I tried jumping in a few years ago) so lack of choices dont bug me much.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Aren't you hamstrung into a single build every season in Diablo 3 anyways? (it at least felt that way to me when I tried jumping in a few years ago) so lack of choices dont bug me much.

Not really, no. I definitely choose a build at the beginning of the season and work toward it (and usually also have an intermediate build based on haedrig's gift I'll put together while that's coming together), but I've switched mid-season before, it's based on your gear so if you don't throw good items away it's pretty easy to change until you're deep into ancient-grinding.

More importantly, the abilities (at least for berserker) don't seem to be built around some kind of synergy that you're activating. You have 8 CD-based abilities that do varying levels of damage and you use them to kill guys. There's a bar that fills up and when it's full you press z and now those 8 abilities do extra damage. It's not what I'd call deep or engaging gameplay, but the presentation is ultra-polished so killing the guys with a giant sword does feel loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

There's usually a few meta build variants in LA classes. Usually one for Chaos Dungeons then one for raids. I took a look at berserker and they have 1 recommended build for AOE/Chaos Dungeons and two for Raids. You can look at the guide a few folks put together for RU when Season 2 came out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A9Ujv369-3b5iHHjAc7JCvvEwnrgkGG_-V0UYGeSMcg/edit#heading=h.z57deqt1vva9