Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ilitarist posted:

It is comprehensible but there are still problems. Like in the case of fish and grain you have icons for trade goods, I gather, but with cows, it's a little picture instead of a simple icon. Looks out of place. And then you have a building between fish and iron that doesn't have any icons. It's a detailed image of some industry but I don't have any idea what it is. If it's an empty space it should probably not be in the middle.

The game is still early in development. Take every screenshot with a grain of salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I certainly hope so.

The design in general reminds me of Anno games. There the icons were much more pronounced and it all was more schematic. To me those pictures don't look like something to easily identify building. More like an art in a card game where you always have a card label to properly identify a card. Here there are no labels so the pictures/icons have to be perfect.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

ilitarist posted:

I certainly hope so.

The design in general reminds me of Anno games. There the icons were much more pronounced and it all was more schematic. To me those pictures don't look like something to easily identify building. More like an art in a card game where you always have a card label to properly identify a card. Here there are no labels so the pictures/icons have to be perfect.

yeah, reminds me a lot of catan

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

remember the recent Sim City?

You mean the one from 2013, released eight years ago?? One month before Heart of Darkness??

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 11, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ecological impacts of industrialization could make for a DLC later down the road. the time period does cover the deforestation of america and the dust bowl.

Eh...this is a misleading map. These are only "virgin" forests because 95% of the population died from various epidemics between 1520-1540 and what was left was a nightmarish mad max style apocalypse zone.

Native Americans in the US were Neolithic agriculturalists who had heavily managed those forests.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

re: computational chat is amazing because a tad of the stuff being talked about had soviet theoreticians hammering on the problems

somewhere in a different universe, GOSPLAN arrives at Victoria 3 by saying "so, we started to work in a game to simulate the economic conditions..."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
only kantorovich had underlying theoretical acumen comparable to the americans and lp and cvxopt is prolly not gonna happen every tick

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...this is a misleading map. These are only "virgin" forests because 95% of the population died from various epidemics between 1520-1540 and what was left was a nightmarish mad max style apocalypse zone.

Native Americans in the US were Neolithic agriculturalists who had heavily managed those forests.

Sure, but even under the higher pre Columbian population estimates the population density of North America would have been so low that I would doubt extensive exploitation of the forests happened most places.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cahokia.jpg

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ThaumPenguin posted:

You mean the one from 2013, released eight years ago?? One month before Heart of Darkness??

Yes, but how old the game is isn't terribly important; it was still something that was heavily mocked at the time that the numbers were made up. So there's a limit to Monte Carlo tricks and so on because at anypoint the player can be expected to pause and dig through things to make sure there's nothing amiss, because ultimately you can't allow for any disconnects to happen between what the economy says and what it is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It really depends which forests you mean. The east was heavily cultivated but that's not true everywhere.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, but how old the game is isn't terribly important; it was still something that was heavily mocked at the time that the numbers were made up. So there's a limit to Monte Carlo tricks and so on because at anypoint the player can be expected to pause and dig through things to make sure there's nothing amiss, because ultimately you can't allow for any disconnects to happen between what the economy says and what it is.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points, I was just a bit confused about it being called recent, to the point where I had to go check if I'd missed a new release.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points, I was just a bit confused about it being called recent, to the point where I had to go check if I'd missed a new release.

The most-recent I mean! :) Like how the new testament is the newest edition of the bible.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

The most-recent I mean! :) Like how the new testament is the newest edition of the bible.

That's the book of Mormon

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is that canon?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Poil posted:

Is that canon?

Depends on who you ask

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The torah, nevi'im, and ketuvim are the only canon, there is no new testament :colbert:

Also kinda want to play a Deseret run in V3 now

e: harshly debating reactionary mormon hell empire or ancom mormono-comanche liberation army

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 11, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Depends on who you ask
I figure the pope would know about such matters.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

All bibles were deprecated after the Quran released

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

All bibles were deprecated after the Quran released

The Bible was put into maintenance mode, only receiving periodic language and localization patches.

There was a dedicated group of modders who released a fan expansion call the Book of Mormon, but it's kinda the pony mod of Christianity. High production value, dogshit content.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

I feel like this valid objection completely misses the point in the context of this discussion.

Native American forestry was very deliberate and active and productive with regards to the needs of the people engaging in it. It was not destructive or extractive. Fire cycles and so on had been going on long enough that the ecology depended on on them- essentially it was established and traditional enough that it was a stable ecology, even if it was a human oriented ecology.

Forests the Europeans utilized in the time period of this game were destroyed. It was an extractive industry. Even attempts at sustainability by replanting trees and whatnot were extractive of the fertility left behind by natural and Native American processes.

I personally think the contradiction between the goals and ideals of "modernization" vs the reality is incredibly interesting, kind of important to think about today, and would make for some interesting, historically grounded gameplay tradeoffs if implemented.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the "virgin forests" the Europeans found were nothing of the sort, they just saw Trees Huge and assumed the indigenous population didn't use them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The point is, the 19th and early 20th centuries saw the destruction of massive swathes of these ecosystems. It's a similar story in all parts of the world touched by colonialism, so it would be interesting to see that modeled somehow

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
I think Vicky 1 had events where gold mines would run dry and the RGO would change. You could definitely implement a system like that but dependent on industrial level for lumber reduction or similar.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the "virgin forests" the Europeans found were nothing of the sort, they just saw Trees Huge and assumed the indigenous population didn't use them.

the point is “trees gone” rather than “trees completely untouched”

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
This entirely misses the point. There were untouched forests in Europe too. It's entirely due to industrialization. If you live in the US, almost every tree you see was planted post WWI

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

secret denmark or death

Converter guy at your service! If there's anything I know I want in EU4 to Vic3, it's Secret Denmark.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Poil posted:

Is that canon?

Nothing after 1054 is canon. Copts are on thin ice. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Walking into a wood with extremely fertile land and 90% of the plants bear edible fruit and nuts, and going "hmmmm yes, God made this specifically for us, his chosen people, the english"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1405163261624930308

:coal:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
No oat farms wiz?? wtf????

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

where the gently caress are the potatoes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

The Irish wondered the same

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

The Irish, circa 1850 posted:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The Irish wondered the same

loving love when a fellow poster goes to score

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I wonder if those different grain (cereal? Not sure what the correct umbrella term is) types actually have gameplay difference?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Obviously I have no special insight but if I had to guess maybe they grow better in different places and presumably tie into the "fascination" system somehow? Pops in southern China should be "fascinated" with the local rice and not have to worry about buying corn from across the planet to satisfy their life needs, keeping local food costs down as long as there's enough local supply. Same with a pop in northern China or Europe being fascinated with the local wheat or whatever.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Crazycryodude posted:

Obviously I have no special insight but if I had to guess maybe they grow better in different places and presumably tie into the "fascination" system somehow? Pops in southern China should be "fascinated" with the local rice and not have to worry about buying corn from across the planet to satisfy their life needs, keeping local food costs down as long as there's enough local supply. Same with a pop in northern China or Europe being fascinated with the local wheat or whatever.

I'd have thought you'd represent that by delivery costs rather than by "fascination". Rice grows in China, people eat it because it has low cost due to lack of delivery costs, while wheat grows in Ukraine but is expensive in China due to high delivery costs.

Of course, tracking the source and destination and related costs for delivery might have been considered too much of a performance hit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Crazycryodude posted:

Can't wait for Vicky to accidentally endorse the view that the potato famine happened because the Irish were just too obsessed with potatoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

As I understand it, fascination works basically the opposite of this; fascinations are when pops become obsessed with some exotic foreign good and specifically demand it. When they don't have a fascination they instead have a generic need that can be fulfilled by anything that falls within that category, so for example "food" would be equally satisfied by corn, rice, wheat, etc. So pops in China wouldn't become fascinated by rice; they already have rice every day. They might become fascinated by corn though and then it would be on you to secure a source to keep them happy.