Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I used to work at a hospital (office stuff) and the CFO was giving a speech. She went to my supervisor and let her know I didn't have my shirt tucked in. Per the dress code, the shirt I was wearing (a Polo-style) was not required to be tucked in. I noticed that she was actually in violation of the dress code for women which stated they were not allowed to wear sandals where the thong went between the toes.

My supervisor just brushed the whole off with a laugh. The CFO would later "seek other avenues of employment" after she botched an annual revenue report that cost the hospital over $30M dollars.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EasyEW posted:

COVIDshaft

If Ed died and the entire town would rejoice

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm guessing that, since our hero is middle-aged, that he's referring to Congressman & Secretary John Sherman and his dim view of the use of government paper to stabilize (Civil War) war debt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sherman

Alternatvely, it’s a reference to Sherman’s brother, William Tecumseh Sherman, who famously said “War is hell.”

True is being bankrupted by having to buy war bonds, so he’s saying Sherman was right about war being hell.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

I think I hate everyone in this MW arc so far.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Encyclopedia Brown: Is someone filming a movie, and everyone else in the car was an extra except for this kid’s friend?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

I think I hate everyone in this MW arc so far.
"Look at them all—making out. Idiots. I bet they've never even won a single trivia contest."

My EB theory: The robber didn't say the address, it was written down, therefore it could not be known through lip-reading.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 11, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

EB: Relatively straightforward, for once. How could the deaf friend hear the announcement over the loudspeaker? Obviously, it was a toon loudspeaker, with its own disturbing lips, teeth, and tongue

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Every character in Funky Winkerbean is so exhaustingly smug. I can’t fathom how that couldn’t be on purpose at this point.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

I'm sorry, but is no one going to point out that "got Bruce Banner's blood for a transfusion" is literally She-Hulk's origin story?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tiercel posted:

I'm sorry, but is no one going to point out that "got Bruce Banner's blood for a transfusion" is literally She-Hulk's origin story?

Aww, you spoiled the surprise!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My guess for EB:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

Also here is the first time Lottie meet Shelley, from the Scary-Go-Round story The Estate

Now post the subsequent strips where Shelley and Lottie read Jeremy Ruse/Jez'r. They're of interest to the thread, being comics about comics (Also Jez'r just cracks me up)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (June 24, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (August 7, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 22, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 27, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 28, 1935)

Mopsy (February 26, 1937)

Dark Laughter (March 23, 1946)

Those Were the Days (October 1, 1953)

Wee Pals (September 17, 1965)

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Would love to see him and Pvt Bootsie go on a bigot-killing rogue adventure.
If only. Harrington and Turner do have a connection.

“blacklistedculture.com“ posted:

From an early age, Morrie was connected with newspapers.  His father, as a Pullman porter, was a member of a group of Black men who, for years, operated as a covert delivery network of Black newspapers. These papers included the Chicago Defender, the New York Amsterdam News, and the Pittsburgh Courier.  Additionally, his brothers sold Black newspapers.

His art, including creating cartoons, made him highly popular with others.  He especially admired the work of Oliver “Ollie” Harrington, an African-American who was featured in the New York Amsterdam News.  Turner was incredibly impressed by Harrington and by the time he was a teen, he began collecting his work and copying Harington’s style. 

Dogbert December 23, 1965

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slammy posted:

They just got 20 years to wait.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Slammy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Green Intern posted:

I am getting a bit tired of Mukku being the Naïve Foreigner.

I don't think he is. This man has seen some poo poo, been driven from his home and homeland, lost his entire family/extended family except for his deeply traumatized wife. He is in a very foreign land, sure, but one where no one is shooting at him or hacking his family and neighbors to pieces on a whim. There is little that will freak him out, and he has survived by living the plus-side of life's balance sheet. He knows damned well what is going on and he rolls with it. And usually pitches straight in to help.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

PainterofCrap posted:

I don't think he is. This man has seen some poo poo, been driven from his home and homeland, lost his entire family/extended family except for his deeply traumatized wife. He is in a very foreign land, sure, but one where no one is shooting at him or hacking his family and neighbors to pieces on a whim. There is little that will freak him out, and he has survived by living the plus-side of life's balance sheet. He knows damned well what is going on and he rolls with it. And usually pitches straight in to help.
Yeah, my impression he is aware of exactly how racist people are to him... and he's got a pretty good read of the people who are being unintentionally racist and usually gravitates towards helping them/hanging out with them more. He's not doing this for Rane, but for Pekka, and if not getting visibly flustered helps it roll off his back easier, I don't think that's a bad strategy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mukku is 100% aware of the poo poo talk he gets and it is completely trivial to him.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
being absurdly non-threatening is a real survival strategy if you're a very visible minority

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: How will Crowe get out of this situation? Spoiler: he doesn't, or Blueberry gets upset at... well, many things, or Now, again, I'm not a historian on the Apache people, so if someone wishes to chime in, please do, but I don't think this 'Staff of Command' is a real thing

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

No Rae the Doe on weekends!

I'm gonna play a poo poo ton of FFXIV tomorrow so I might forget to post Sundays. Will make sure to catch up tho.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: yep, we're doing this (November 12-18, 2001)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Narrowing my eyes and adding "fireflies" to the List of Things Holbrook Just Doesn't Understand

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "85 - Jucika And The Brave Knight"

Another gap in strips.

"Jucika and the Ship Launch Ceremony/Christening"

And the character of men! "Részeg fráter = Drunk Bastard"

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The expressions in Curtis get me every time, no matter how tired the joke.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this hits almost as hard as Mammila

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I love it:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

this hits almost as hard as Mammila

Simpsons Did It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrfhsxxmdE

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/10/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/26-28/46

Smokey Stover 8/31/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Another set of reworked jokes.

Deathless Deer 6/10-12/43

"Fortunately, I know a guy in Idaville who specializes in this sort of thing."

For a 3,000-year-old Egyptian queen, Deer sure internalized 1940s gender roles pretty quickly, didn't she?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/26-28/46

I skip a few days reading Brenda Starr and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. But I gotta say, compared to what most story comics look like when you do that, this one is at least pretty attention grabbing sans context.

quote:

Deathless Deer 6/10-12/43

"Fortunately, I know a guy in Idaville who specializes in this sort of thing."

For a 3,000-year-old Egyptian queen, Deer sure internalized 1940s gender roles pretty quickly, didn't she?

I'm very much getting the impression that whoever's writing the story now is just hoping that people forget what the premise of the comic was.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 16, 1945)

My friends are all just out of frame, laughing at comics too.

The Medieval Castle (Sep. 16, 1945)

I guess that's not a full saddle but Hubert is clearly sitting on something!

Mikl posted:

This reads very much like Guy having a crush on Hubert, not gonna lie.

I know it's not since it's a 1945 thing, but hey, a gal can dream.

I can't imagine it's intended to read that way, but the parallel here between Guy/Hubert and Melisande/Arn is pretty hard to ignore.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Given the future trajectory Shelley's life will take, I think the curse might be 'may you live in interesting times'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Although interesting to read it's really a shame how clearly we can see all the ways Deathless Deer could be a uniquely weird and cool comic and then it's just pretty bad and is now correcting by becoming a bog standard action comic of the time. I guess Abu/Ali got arrested or died off screen as soon as he was spontaneously rewritten to be a Nazi Gang Boss(seriously, the Ape just punched him.) "I must become a good housewife." No, please, go back to the Deer who drew a knife and advanced on somebody for anachronistic misunderstandings. :allears: