Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My "favorite" is the plant woods feature, which does not have a description anywhere in the civpedia, but does have restrictions. The best I could figure was that you just aren't allowed to put forests next to lakes for some reason.

I assume you can only plant them in places where they could spawn on their own, which is just grassland, plains, and tundra (and no floodplains). If the tile was desert or snow or had floodplains then it wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Used to be unable to plant forests on unrevealed resources (eg aluminium) but I think that may have been changed in a patch.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Okay, is the "Civ VI Anthology" a good thing to buy? I was looking at picking up the New Frontier Pass during the Steam sale (if it actually went on sale).

This pack has a "77%" discount on it and seems to include everything? This probably isn't going to get a deeper discount, right?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What do you own of it already? Bizarrely, I own everything except New Frontier Pass content, and the bundle winds up costing 8 bucks more than just buying the Frontier Pass not on sale at 40 bucks. So it seems the 77% off is off of the full price of individual DLCs rather than the bundled price in the Pass. Oh, just realized I can only buy the bundle as a gift anyway, so it's not discounting stuff I already have like with some collection sales.

50 bucks for ALL of Civ VI is a pretty good deal probably for the near future, but if you already own parts of it, less good of a deal.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

What do you own of it already? Bizarrely, I own everything except New Frontier Pass content, and the bundle winds up costing 8 bucks more than just buying the Frontier Pass not on sale at 40 bucks. So it seems the 77% off is off of the full price of individual DLCs rather than the bundled price in the Pass. Oh, just realized I can only buy the bundle as a gift anyway, so it's not discounting stuff I already have like with some collection sales.

50 bucks for ALL of Civ VI is a pretty good deal probably for the near future, but if you already own parts of it, less good of a deal.

It seems like I have:
Gathering Storm
Rise and Fall
Vikings
Khmer and Indonesia
Nubia
Persia and Macedon
Australia
Poland

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I thought I maybe resolved this as I received an email from humble telling me I could buy the new frontier pass for $10 which seemed pretty sweet. Going to their website, it's the same price as before though, lol, $50.

Excellent sale, Humble!

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

They sent out a second email saying it's fixed.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
How often are you guys chopping/harvesting resources in early cities. Is the trade off of removing those resources you can work and losing a builder charge worth speeding up production or gaining a population? Especially if gaining a population requires more food to sustain?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jovial Cow posted:

How often are you guys chopping/harvesting resources in early cities. Is the trade off of removing those resources you can work and losing a builder charge worth speeding up production or gaining a population? Especially if gaining a population requires more food to sustain?

absolutely, resettling the chopping governor before to get even more bang for the buck

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As far as I know, the benefits of chopping are overwhelming in every Civ game, though I always hate doing it. You'd think that they'd have mixed that up in the Gathering Storm expansion specifically, but it's still chop-city.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
And that outweighs permanently getting + food/production from farms/mines?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

yes, mostly because youre getting yields out of whatever you're chopping. especially if you werent working that tile already, its super useful. also, you can still build mines or whatever on that tile later on, its just more important to get youre important districts and buildings in play as early as possible.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Jovial Cow posted:

Generally speaking yes, because most cities aren't working every tile within range at once so you often have tiles to chop that you weren't using right now, which you can use to speed up production of buildings or districts that immediately become useful to you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What long-term yields do you lose versus what you gain? Chopping a forest makes the tile lose one hammer, so if you chop it for 50 hammers, that'll take 50 turns just to break even, which is a hell of a long time and assumes you have no better tiles for your citizens to work, for a pretty good instant bonus.

Even if it were a remotely even trade, always take the lump sum. Civ is a game of snowballs.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Alright and then another stupid question for you guys, do you get that lump sum of 50 hammers in perpetuity until you run out? Or does it only go towards what you're currently working on? Said another way, if I chop when I have one turn left on a granary lets say, does the excess production carry over to whatever I start working next? Or is all that excess production lost?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There's even less incentive to keep forests around in Civ 6 because unlike the previous games you can totally just replant them later down the line if you really want lumbermill yields.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jovial Cow posted:

Alright and then another stupid question for you guys, do you get that lump sum of 50 hammers in perpetuity until you run out? Or does it only go towards what you're currently working on?

you get it for the current thing and the next in the queue if it overflows

you can even chop on an empty queue and still get it for the next thing you put in (but not an overflow)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
iirc stone is also generally chopped unless it's your very first quarry for the eureka, same with deer unless you need camps for something like temple of artemis or whatever

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I like my old growth forests and will preserve them to the best of my abilites!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Stefan Prodan posted:

iirc stone is also generally chopped unless it's your very first quarry for the eureka, same with deer unless you need camps for something like temple of artemis or whatever

Quarries are a little more dicey these days as they give a +1 adjacency to Industrial Districts (and mines only give 1/2) so make sure you’re not putting that next to the quarry before you clear it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Also beware if you have RPG inventory hoarding tenancies, if you end up with loads of unharvested resources at the end of the game that's one thing, but if you end up with loads of unharvested resources that you never improved yet still worked for most of the game, I done hosed up. I mean you did...

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
This is probably a dumb/obvious question, but the Frontier Pass at $13 is a good deal if I already have Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, right?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I think so. The game modes are fun enough and the civs are the most interesting ones yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where is it on sale for 13 bucks?

Kaal posted:

As far as I know, the benefits of chopping are overwhelming in every Civ game, though I always hate doing it. You'd think that they'd have mixed that up in the Gathering Storm expansion specifically, but it's still chop-city.

I kept the launch version without updating for a long time because I loved the ability to go chopping resources and forests in not-my-territory. Doing it everywhere around the perimeter of other civs was just great!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't like chopping and rarely do it. That might be why I'm always behind early on but snowball later.

I played a fun game on Deity today and had some interesting wars in the early game, but it's frustrating how easy it is to accidentally win the diplomatic victory.

Despite playing Gorgo and only ever trying for a Science Victory, I was Suzerain of 8 out of 9 remaining city-states because the AIs seemed to have given up on all of them except La Venta. I never voted for myself to get more Diplomatic Victory points, but I still had 18 from correctly predicting the outcome of World Congress votes. Then I got one more from researching global warming mitigation, and a final point from the Olympics, because I was the only player who owned Stadiums. I like the intent of diplomatic victory, but the 1 point for voting for the winning option is too good. (For instance, the AI usually votes for City Center buildings, and to make Melee units stronger)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chamale posted:

I don't like chopping and rarely do it. That might be why I'm always behind early on but snowball later.

I usually only do it to rush an early wonder, when needed

But this last page have blow my mind a bit, I just never thought of it as a viable strategy

Do you guys also chop food resources, like wheat or rice, or just forests and stone and stuff like that?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Chopping food can be worth it. Especially if it gets you pop to place a district sooner and hence cheaper.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Chopping food is real good if you want to be a forward settling rear end in a top hat, because a pop 1 city can be hard to keep loyal, but if you can zip it up to pop 5 in a chop or two, you're suddenly entrenched.

I normally leave stuff unchopped because it makes for a prettier map, but mechanically, you should basically always be choppin' if you have the housing to hold the food and/or can produce something with a greater immediate yield than the tile feature you're losing.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
I got the frontier pass and whoa, that introduces a bunch of modes. I'm playing a game with heroes and secret societies. I took the vamps but now I'm questioning why I did since I'm not warring with civs (yet) and apparently this is a war-like society.

I chose to start as Portugal because they seem good.

What's your favorite society?

I discovered a hero that had four charges and made luxury resources with each charge - that was pretty cool!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Vasler posted:

I got the frontier pass and whoa, that introduces a bunch of modes. I'm playing a game with heroes and secret societies. I took the vamps but now I'm questioning why I did since I'm not warring with civs (yet) and apparently this is a war-like society.

I chose to start as Portugal because they seem good.

What's your favorite society?

I discovered a hero that had four charges and made luxury resources with each charge - that was pretty cool!

I usually use Hermetic Order for ley lines adjacency bonuses when I'm aimless in how I plan to win.
Vampires when I was tolerant enough to deal with barbarians.
Old gods if I aim for the "buy land units with faith" government building or go for loyalty/religious win.
Owls I think I only use if I couldn't find any of the others early on enough.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Vasler posted:

This is probably a dumb/obvious question, but the Frontier Pass at $13 is a good deal if I already have Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, right?

Where'd you get it at that price?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The biggest power for vampires is to make a castle, surrounded by excellent (and hopefully improved) tiles. That hero with the 4 extra resources is great and I always try and claim him. For Portugal, his best use is to use him on hexes adjacent to where you'll be building harbours, to give them excellent adjacency bonuses. If you're generating a good amount of faith, make sure to buy him back regularly when each age passes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Staltran posted:

Cheapest I see rn is 24 bucks if you buy from the 2k store. My best guess about that 13 dollar price is that they got confused and thought the humble monthly bundle included the frontier pass? Not even shady re-seller sites have Frontier Pass as cheap as 13 bucks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The hero Anansi rocks, he can chop luxuries and bonus resources to turn them into science and culture!

They don't need to be in your own territory. Go chop some enemy's resources.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
imo the owls are the best peacetime society by a lot and then cultists then the order

If you are gonna do war a lot you can vamp but honestly the owls and cultists would do a lot for warring as well if you just buy units with gold or faith

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

imo the owls are the best peacetime society by a lot and then cultists then the order

If you are gonna do war a lot you can vamp but honestly the owls and cultists would do a lot for warring as well if you just buy units with gold or faith

I go vampires the majority of the time because by the end of the game, that can equal an extra 50 or 60 or 70 production to your capital city if you place your castles right, which means the space race becomes absolutely trivial to win.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chronojam posted:

The hero Anansi rocks, he can chop luxuries and bonus resources to turn them into science and culture!

They don't need to be in your own territory. Go chop some enemy's resources.

Anansi (chopping rivals' resources), Maui (planting luxury or bonus resources just beyond your current city limits), and Sinbad (a whole pile of money from taking out barbarian ships and coastal camps, and for discovering wonders and continents) are my favorite heroes to get early. Sinbad is especially valuable on TSL maps because you know exactly where the continents and wonders visible from shore are.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always default to vampires if I have no specific plan, because they can generate hundreds of yield points pretty easy and early, and getting an extra 50 foods/hammers per turn in your capital is a nuts boost.

The actual combat units are just a little bonus, the castles are the real prize.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean that's all true but I just feel like the 1000+ gold a turn you can easily get from owls is just too strong and flexible

Not to mention you get up to like say 10 extra trade routes maybe more and park them all in your capital with democracy bonus, wisselbanken, etc that's 50-60 extra hammers and food right there

I think the castles just look super impressive because all the yields are in one place but I think the total amount of stuff you get from all the extra trade routes and extra economic policy card is gigantic

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Staltran posted:

I got civ vi as part of this month's humble choice. Humble sent me an email yesterday advertising this price.

Not sure if it works without the referral, but the discount didn't show up until I added it to my cart and tried checking out, so maybe give that a try?

It was really $13 CAD. A pretty amazing discount!