Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/IbnRiad/status/1403024904530898948?s=20
https://twitter.com/i24NEWS_EN/status/1403024615451025414?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

the only thing Israel learned from the Holocaust was “we can do it better”.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

crepeface posted:

checkmate palestinestans

shouldn’t the first map be this mess

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Israel deserves Moab

Lots of Moab

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Which RPG is this from?

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

say what you will about the reuben tribe, they invented a tasty sandwich

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Lol Israel is even better at hosed up prisons than america is, somehow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

etalian posted:

Which RPG is this from?

crusader kings -3

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

The idea of a volunteer prison guard is loving bone-chilling.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hedenius posted:

its a honeypot for sociopaths but the trap is actually just money and prestige

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Hedenius posted:

i think it means volunteering instead of being conscripted to the position, so it also should describe every US prison guard too

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

etalian posted:

Which RPG is this from?

zionbourne clock

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

was this released as part of an investigation into prison guard brutality? did the guards not know there were security cameras? this is just one trigger pull away from an ISIS-style massacre.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hedenius posted:

That's pretty much every prison guard.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i think it means volunteering instead of being conscripted to the position, so it also should describe every US prison guard too
I looked it up and it was what he did when he served in the IDF. But the bit on wikipedia about it is something else...

wikipedia posted:

He left college to move to Israel, where he served in the Israeli Defense Forces during the First Intifada as a prison guard at Ktzi'ot Prison, a prison camp set up to hold arrested Palestinian participants in the uprising. There he met Rafiq Hijazi, a Palestine Liberation Organization leader, college math teacher, and devout Muslim from a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, whom Goldberg describes as "the only Palestinian I could find in Ketziot who understood the moral justification for Zionism".

I wonder why Palestinians in an interment camp run by the IDF didn't understand the moral justification for Zionism. He even wrote a book about it!

quote:

Prisoners: A Muslim and a Jew Across the Middle East Divide (New York: Knopf, 2006), describes Goldberg's experiences in Israel working at the Ketziot military prison camp as well as his dialogue with Rafiq, a prisoner whom Goldberg would later befriend in Washington, DC.

The New York Times, The Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times named it one of the best books of 2006.

The Los Angeles Times critic wrote, "Realization of the humanity of the ‘other’ is at the heart of New Yorker magazine correspondent Jeffrey Goldberg's sharply observed and beautifully written memoir." The New York Times critic wrote, "Mr. Goldberg, a talented and ambitious writer for the New Yorker ... takes an engagingly personal approach to the issue in his story of a quest for mutual understanding with a Palestinian activist who had been his prisoner ... For the bittersweet complexity of that moment, offered in the context of all that has preceded it, this is a genuinely admirable book."

The Washington Post review of the book noted, "Prisoners is Jeffrey Goldberg's sensitive, forthright and perceptive account of his years as a soldier and journalist in Israel—and of his long-running conversation with a Palestinian whom he once kept under lock and key. It is a forceful reminder of how rewarding, and how difficult, discourse between Israelis and Palestinians can be." CBS News critic wrote, "There is no shortage of histories, polemics and policy manuals about the Middle East. An honest but complex story, from what happens to be a personal perspective that many Americans can at least conjure, is a rarer opportunity for insight. And that is what Jeffrey Goldberg, a reporter for The New Yorker, delivers in Prisoners. To those of us who have followed Jeffrey Goldberg’s reporting on the Muslim world, the publication of his first book is cause for real pleasure...because his writing on the subject has always been exceptional: wise, unpretentious, and at times, unexpectedly funny."

And I urge you to read this part from his article: How Did I Get Iraq Wrong?

quote:

How did I get Iraq wrong?

Well, for one thing, I trusted the Germans. Those who know me will find this statement somewhat ironic, but there it is.

I trusted one German in particular. His name was August Hanning. In the run-up to the war, he was the chief of the BND, the German foreign-intelligence agency. I met him shortly before the war at the new chancellery building opposite the Reichstag in Berlin. He was spectrally thin and exceedingly sober. His briefcase was the size of a microwave oven. I pictured many consequential documents sequestered inside.

Despite his cautious nature, Hanning neither hemmed nor hawed when I raised the subject of Saddam’s nuclear program: “It is our estimate that Iraq will have an atomic bomb in three years,” he said, on the record and for attribution.

Apart from Kenneth Pollack’s book The Threatening Storm, nothing did more to convince me of the national-security necessity of the Iraq war than Hanning’s statement. The BND had apparently developed a good deal of information about what was happening inside Iraq, in part because German companies, especially those that manufactured so-called dual-use products—ones that had both civilian and military applications—did disproportionate business in Baghdad. And Hanning seemed particularly credible to me because his analysis so obviously cut against the desires of his bosses. Then-Chancellor Gerhard Schröder was vociferously opposed to armed intervention in Iraq. Hanning, in other words, was behaving in precisely the manner in which intelligence analysts should behave. He laid out the truth as he saw it, taking no notice of the personal consequences. To Schröder’s credit, Hanning was allowed to share his intelligence with the CIA, and by doing so he helped buttress the Anglo-American case for war.

He was, of course, wrong. Did this make him a liar? No. It made him an intelligence official. Did this make Gerhard Schröder smart? No. It made him lucky. August Hanning was a smart, honest man who made a mistake.

If one of my mistakes was to trust men like August Hanning, another larger mistake was to put my trust in the Bush administration, not so much on matters of intelligence—faulty intelligence was a near-universal phenomenon—but on matters of basic competence. I will admit to a prejudice here: I believed—note the tense, please—that Republicans were by nature ruthless, unsentimental, efficient, and, most of all, preoccupied with winning. It simply never occurred to me that Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney would allow themselves to lose a war. Which is what they have very nearly done.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd never heard Eve Fartlow talk before and she has a loving Scottish accent lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/aptly_engineerd/status/1403119436387688452

https://twitter.com/aptly_engineerd/status/1403123044881616902

wow turns out this hen mazzig guy is a real piece of poo poo, i wouldnt have guessed he seemed so nice

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

etalian posted:

Which RPG is this from?

Xenogears

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

crepeface posted:

checkmate palestinestans

this is a stupid fantasy map

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

this is so incredibly hosed up

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Imagine thinking what happened in 1000 BCE entitles you to anything 3000 years later.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/jvplive/status/1403384081946091527?s=20

Don't know if this is effective, but it is very funny

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

this kinda owns

https://twitter.com/jeremyslevin/status/1403387638044897281

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

it really does.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

:hmmyes:

Broken Box has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Jun 11, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1403384229048815622?s=20

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can't believe her opponents are making campaign material for her

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
loving hell.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

plaestinians still being genocided by israel but the only difference is the media got bored and moved on

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/suhibep/status/1403082133028196356?s=20

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/jtruzmah/status/1403426814484115457?s=21

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
There are no words that won't get me banned.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lmao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Tbf the statement (at least machine translated by google) isnt very negative on Ilhan, they use the term 'surprised' and notes her as a defender of palestinian rights

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

they're right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/medeabenjamin/status/1403390785370873858

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Centrism loses again

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

E: nvm I'll do my own research

Rainbow Knight has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Jun 11, 2021