Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Commissar Canuck posted:

Been working on finishing some mostly done projects this week. Got my Blood Ravens bikers done complete with their totally not "liberated" bikes

Holy poo poo this is a hilarious and awesome concept and fantastic paint job. Just amazing work. Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Whose bikes did they steal?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

White Scars in this case if you can't recognize the lightning symbol and the hints of white.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

chin up everything sucks posted:

Whose bikes did they steal?

Look at the sides, under the red paint.

It's a cute detail, I like it a lot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I know I wanted to do something similar with a Blood Ravens dread I painted a couple of years back. Never did it sadly, mostly because I also wanted one of the Space Wolf terminator arms as well and could never find one.
So it's always great to see someone pull that off really well.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Finished up a bunch of grots

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

Did you ever get your order from scale75? I think we placed one around the same time and I haven't seen it.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Tiring to settle on a base for these guys. Here I’m going for a sulphurous volcanic thing. Any ideas?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Did you ever get your order from scale75? I think we placed one around the same time and I haven't seen it.

I think those arrived some time last winter? I don't remember. Spanish post is really bad but not 8mo to deliver something bad. I'd email them now lol

Edit: unless you meant the s75 instant paints I also ordered which only half came in from michtoy. My short review of the few colors I tried are "yeah it's contrast in dropper bottles. I like them"

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 11, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm getting into Age of Sigmar with the new edition, and I've got a Liberator I'm going to use as a test model. I'm thinking of a Copper/Red scheme (I'm thinking of doing a Stormhost of Paladins of the Common Man, basically) and I was wondering a) if that sounds like a good idea and b) what colour primer should I be using. I have Wraithbone, Chaos Black, Grey Seer, Leadbelcher and an Army Painter Brown.

I'm thinking of nabbing the DarkStar copper triad for the army proper, but for my test model I'm using Vallejo Hammered Copper (72.059). I'm thinking of going with Red Terracotta (72.772) for the red.

I'm not sure exactly what Paladins of the Common Man would look like transferred to Stormcast but my suggestion would be prime it black, get some Vallejo Metal Color Copper (and be spoiled to the point you'll never use other metallics ever again) as a basecoat then let the subsequent washes, shading and highlighting function to wear down the initial sheen of the metallic into something that represents functionality over parade ready looks. The red you can aggressively shade with brown and black to get the appearance of clothing that has just seen a ton of use so the colour is fading and there are just soot stains that don't wash out.

the fart question posted:

Tiring to settle on a base for these guys. Here I’m going for a sulphurous volcanic thing. Any ideas?

You can go for a stronger sulphurous spring feel by focusing on the overall look of your army by having the shores of a sulfur lake show up on some of your models (maybe ones with bigger bases). Like your Warriors can just be marching on the yellow-orange-red areas but your Reanimator can be stepping over a blue-green-yellow stream.

Eej fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 11, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

I really like your color combo and paint job on these.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Winklebottom posted:

I loving love night goblins and these are bad rear end

Eej posted:

You can go for a stronger sulphurous spring feel by focusing on the overall look of your army by having the shores of a sulfur lake show up on some of your models (maybe ones with bigger bases). Like your Warriors can just be marching on the yellow-orange-red areas but your Reanimator can be stepping over a blue-green-yellow stream.

This is a very neat idea, I'd love to give "water" (well, caustic liquid) effects a try

the fart question fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 11, 2021

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I really like your color combo and paint job on these.

the fart question posted:

I loving love night goblins and these are bad rear end

Thanks! The Stabba kit really holds up great, oodles of personality in a tiny package.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Winklebottom posted:

The world's angriest tic tacs. I love them.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks everyone! It was fun to do and much faster than my five man squad plus dreadnought based with a bunch of "clearly not Blood Ravens bits" stuff

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
Hey y'all, I am at the absolute end of my tether with my airbrush, I feel like I'm doing everything right but it just keeps clogging around the needle guard :negative:

So far I have:

1. Replaced the needle and the bucket o-ring.
2. Done about five deep cleans, pulling it apart and cleaning every single thing.
3. Using a 90:10 thinner to flow aid/improver mix with the paint.
4. Painting in short bursts as opposed to slamming on the lever non-stop.

After about 1-2 minutes of spraying it just clogs and starts splattering everywhere.

It's a Neo for Iwata HP-CN. I'm aware they aren't the highest quality airbrushes from the Iwata line, but I really thought I'd get more life out of it than this.
Paint is Vallejo surface primer white.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DrDraxium posted:

Airbrush woes.
That primer has always been annoying to airbrush for me, for largely the same reasons, but not to that extreme.
When you spray, do you end with only air ever time? If you just let go of the trigger, you'll get a lot of drying paint sitting around the needle, so you should slide it forward and blow air for a second instead.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Electric Hobo posted:

That primer has always been annoying to airbrush for me, for largely the same reasons, but not to that extreme.
When you spray, do you end with only air ever time? If you just let go of the trigger, you'll get a lot of drying paint sitting around the needle, so you should slide it forward and blow air for a second instead.

Yeah I start and finish with air as a helpful goon advised a while ago. Unfortunately I was getting the same build up and problem with my black Vallejo primer.

Do people remove the needle guard completely in cases like this?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

DrDraxium posted:

Hey y'all, I am at the absolute end of my tether with my airbrush, I feel like I'm doing everything right but it just keeps clogging around the needle guard :negative:

So far I have:

1. Replaced the needle and the bucket o-ring.
2. Done about five deep cleans, pulling it apart and cleaning every single thing.
3. Using a 90:10 thinner to flow aid/improver mix with the paint.
4. Painting in short bursts as opposed to slamming on the lever non-stop.

After about 1-2 minutes of spraying it just clogs and starts splattering everywhere.

I have a similar problem with my harder & steinbeck ultra (their sorta discount version). Two quick things; first white primer can awful to shoot through airbrushes, especially with smaller nozzles (I’d recommend looking at vince ventrullas ‘how to clean your airbrush’ video to see just how much he thins his paints) how big is the nozzle?

Second, I’ve found that getting the needle placement, as in how far into the nozzle the needle sits, is pretty important. If I ram the needle too hard into the nozzle it clogs more for some reason, same if it’s too loose.

I basically only use my white primer as a brush on now, because I felt it clogged too much. Instead I use black or grey or pink primer and use a white ink (liquitex) afterwards, both for zenithal and otherwise. The ink flies through the brush with few problems.

I can definitely run mine for more than 1 to 2 minutes though, that sounds like a bigger problem. Have you experimented with the PSI? Both too low and too high psi can cause problems.

Weirdly my ultra cheap chinese made airbrush that came with my compressor almost for free almost never clogs. It still does if I run it for a long time with certain paints.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I have a similar problem with my harder & steinbeck ultra (their sorta discount version). Two quick things; first white primer can awful to shoot through airbrushes, especially with smaller nozzles (I’d recommend looking at vince ventrullas ‘how to clean your airbrush’ video to see just how much he thins his paints) how big is the nozzle?

Second, I’ve found that getting the needle placement, as in how far into the nozzle the needle sits, is pretty important. If I ram the needle too hard into the nozzle it clogs more for some reason, same if it’s too loose.

I basically only use my white primer as a brush on now, because I felt it clogged too much. Instead I use black or grey or pink primer and use a white ink (liquitex) afterwards, both for zenithal and otherwise. The ink flies through the brush with few problems.

I can definitely run mine for more than 1 to 2 minutes though, that sounds like a bigger problem. Have you experimented with the PSI? Both too low and too high psi can cause problems.

Weirdly my ultra cheap chinese made airbrush that came with my compressor almost for free almost never clogs. It still does if I run it for a long time with certain paints.

Definitely going to invest / trial some liquitex white ink for my next run at zenithal highlighting.

Nozzle size is 0.35mm.

Will give the needle placement a little jig and see if it fixes it, I had no idea these things wouldn't work at their fixed depth ... seems like such an odd design decision which isn't explained anywhere.

Haven't faffed with PSI, although for zenithal highlighting I thought 20 PSI would be enough ... but maybe that's too high for highlighting...

Will give these things a shot, thanks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I had a similar problem airbrushing Some mecha matte varnish. I finally gave up and bought a new (smaller) bottle and it sprays fine. My only theory is that the stuff got old and the binder started to harden or something making it too thick for the airbrush.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Well as I was trying to put it back together the chucking guide became detached from the main pinion and for the life of my I couldn't get it back in place. I've now thrown the airbrush into the bin and I'm ordering an Iwata Eclipse.

Good riddance.

Thanks for your assistance everyone, but methinks this airbrush was just on death's door already.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

My friend has a Neo by Iwata and was having similar issues as you, I think it might just be a bad model. Best of luck with a quality airbrush, it should go much smoother for you!

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Booyah- posted:

My friend has a Neo by Iwata and was having similar issues as you, I think it might just be a bad model. Best of luck with a quality airbrush, it should go much smoother for you!
Funny you should mention that, I don't know whether it's my virus ridden brain, but I only just decided "hmm, maybe I should see what the consensus is for the neo online."

Lo and behold, similar gripes across the board, including after taking extreme care of parts, maintenance, consumables and testing.

I guess as a semi airbrush noob you assume you're at fault 100% of the time, so I wasn't even really considering the equipment might be inherently bung.

Oh well, onto more beautifully toned pastures and all that!

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

DrDraxium posted:

Yeah I start and finish with air as a helpful goon advised a while ago. Unfortunately I was getting the same build up and problem with my black Vallejo primer.

Do people remove the needle guard completely in cases like this?

I've had two airbrushes now and needle guards come off first thing every time. There's probably some wizard out there who can perfectly spray through them, but the second paint starts to build up inside you're done and so is whatever you're trying to spray.

And definitely get that Liquitex white ink. It should come duct-taped to every airbrush.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Testors ELO update. Left sprue in for a few hours and hasnt disentigrated as far as I can tell. Also, it seems that its weakening the bond between the plastics where the Tamiya bonded them :confused:. Minis are much easier to take apart at the joints and bases.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I had an Iwata Neo as my first airbrush. It's easy to tell that it's a cheap airbrush with Iwata branding.

I switched to a Badger Patriot. Since I really only use it for priming and basecoating it's perfect.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016
Since we are on the topic of airbrushes, are there any guides on how to control the size of your spray? I use mine currently just to prime and occasionally basecoat if most of the model is a certain color, but I want to improve my skill with the tool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Airbrushes shoot out air through a tiny aperture (controlled by your needle) so the resultant air comes out in a cone based on the angle it entered from. Basically it's a function of how small the gap is (how far you've pulled the needle back or the size of your needle) and how close you are to your mini (because cones have fat bases and tiny points). If you want small sprays you can simply just spray closer to the model but if you do that you have to adjust pressure so you don't just shoot gobs of paint at close range and also thinning so that the paint doesn't dry or get stuck getting gently blown through a small hole and clog you up.

In short, a lot of trial and error.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Lol wrong thread

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 12, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Wut

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

quote:

It’s incredible how a convicted racist, and a glorified marketing consultant has a managed to bring all of the danish universities to their knees using the most generic american alt-right inspired talking points. Well. Not alone of course, newspaper journalists and serious tv host are tripping over themselves to say: “yes, these two people are really terrible, almost always disingenuous, and obviously have very strong political interests in making sure people with actual knowledge about things such as racism and sexism stay out of the public debate - but do they have a point? Have universities gone too far?”. In loving Denmark of all places. Denmark has the tamest weak-sauce gender study research, the mildest and least impactful research into racism. There is like more people studying reverse-bigotry than actual bigotry.

Does the collective danish journalism profession really have to prove me right about how dumb they are every week? Of course they wheel out the hack theology professor who only got his professorship and funding because of his ‘critical of Islam’ stance, and pretend his insights on ‘how universities really do have a problem’ is somehow relevant. It’s like one guy in thousands and thousands, who didn’t sign the thing, but let’s definitely get his important views on the record. Let’s ask the village idiot next. Oh wait, it’s the same guy. gently caress me, it’s just so stupid. I wonder where all the free speech extremists who were so concerned about Islam went, now that politicians wants to dictate what subjects and which conclusions research should be done in. Even “respectable” newspapers are wondering if perhaps A SINGLE PHD investigating whether fat people are marginalized is going too far.

Shut up you loving dork.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Lol wrong thread

Yeah know poo poo huh.

Probably best to not post that in the right thread tbh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Eej posted:

I'm not sure exactly what Paladins of the Common Man would look like transferred to Stormcast but my suggestion would be prime it black, get some Vallejo Metal Color Copper (and be spoiled to the point you'll never use other metallics ever again) as a basecoat then let the subsequent washes, shading and highlighting function to wear down the initial sheen of the metallic into something that represents functionality over parade ready looks. The red you can aggressively shade with brown and black to get the appearance of clothing that has just seen a ton of use so the colour is fading and there are just soot stains that don't wash out.

I wound up priming brown (before I saw your post) for my test mini, using Vallejo Game Colour Hammered Copper and shading with Cryptek Armourshade, while the red is Vallejo Terracotta Red shaded with Agrax. I'm pretty happy with the outcome and I'll post a picture tomorrow morning.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

Airbrushes shoot out air through a tiny aperture (controlled by your needle) so the resultant air comes out in a cone based on the angle it entered from. Basically it's a function of how small the gap is (how far you've pulled the needle back or the size of your needle) and how close you are to your mini (because cones have fat bases and tiny points). If you want small sprays you can simply just spray closer to the model but if you do that you have to adjust pressure so you don't just shoot gobs of paint at close range and also thinning so that the paint doesn't dry or get stuck getting gently blown through a small hole and clog you up.

In short, a lot of trial and error.

Yeah what he said above, basically getting fine lines with an airbrush is a constant balancing act between air pressure, distance and paint viscocity. As one changes the other two have to compensate.
But it's really easy to practice.
Get some white cardstock, ideally semi-gloss index cards, or spray a coat of white primer on a piece of cardboard. Then practice spraying lines of different thickness and density across the card.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just dry brushed some ork boy skin with a darker green and I have a bright green to highlight, if I drybrush with the light green will it look good or will it nullify the darker skin tone completely?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a pale ghost posted:

I just dry brushed some ork boy skin with a darker green and I have a bright green to highlight, if I drybrush with the light green will it look good or will it nullify the darker skin tone completely?

i mean this mostly comes down to execution, it could work but you'll want to use less paint and spend more time carefully applying the lighter color if the goal is to mostly preserve the darker color

nothing wrong with successive layers of drybrushing or drybrushing + washing, though, it creates a really nice and unique effect. i don't usually use it for skin but i use it for chitin on my Legion critters, as per this WIP shot:

and this was basically just basecoat, dark wash in the crevices, drybrush, repeat once. you can do it over and over again and get really beautiful gradients, it just takes an incredible amount of patience

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean this mostly comes down to execution, it could work but you'll want to use less paint and spend more time carefully applying the lighter color if the goal is to mostly preserve the darker color

nothing wrong with successive layers of drybrushing or drybrushing + washing, though, it creates a really nice and unique effect. i don't usually use it for skin but i use it for chitin on my Legion critters, as per this WIP shot:

and this was basically just basecoat, dark wash in the crevices, drybrush, repeat once. you can do it over and over again and get really beautiful gradients, it just takes an incredible amount of patience

I dig this model. Thanks for the advice!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Literally all of my wolves and fur is done by drybrushing lighter colors over darker colors.

I even made a detailed post about it:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nobody probably cares but here's a quick and easy way to get super good fur via drybrushing, or really just how to step up your drybrushing game. My photos are kinda bad and lazy but it's a really simple and fast method.

Realistically you can do this with just two colors (like black and white to make a greyscale) and mixing them in 1:4, 2:3, 1:1, 3:2, 4:1 steps to go across the gradient. Or you can be lazy like me and buy a set of paints that are in a gradient you like. In this case I want a dark brown fur with white tips for highlights and around the face of the pelt to make it look like an old animal's fur. I added pure white to this at the end because I didn't think it was bright enough.

Note before starting: Use a cheap makeup brush with soft bristles. Make sure the brush is as dry as possible and the bristles are moderately clean. Don't clean your brush with water in between colors. Try to clean it off on a paper towel in between colors if you really want. Not cleaning the brush actually helps doing gradients a little bit as you can mix paint on the brush this way by adding a little bit of color B then mixing on a paper towel, then adding a little more of color B then mixing on a paper towel, etc to taste.

Paint everything your darkest color. This is color 0.

Heavy drybrush your first color. Just make it go everywhere except for the deep recesses. Move the brush in every direction. Up/down, left/right, diagonal etc.

Second color but less aggro. Still moving in a bunch of directions and over everything but with a lighter (but still lazy) touch.

Third color, but only using downstrokes to catch surfaces facing up. Medium touch,

Fourth color. Light touch. Only using downstrokes again

Last colors, do this to taste. Super light touch on only the areas you want bright.

Now all that's left for this decoration is to pick out the runestones and gemstones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

That's a very handy guide, thank you