Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lol <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures. There really isn't an excuse for this, while not everyone is always at the bleeding edge, there's no one else making $60 games that has adapted this little. Madden shows more visual improvement FFS.

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

literally imagine: typing that post

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

K8.0 posted:

It's not about the aesthetics, from does a great job of doing a western aesthetic. It's that the visuals are objectively bad and totally out of date, and not in a stylized way that could be cool. It's not just in terms of poly count and texture res either, look at the big dudes pulling the coach in the trailer. Their heads are totally non-animated, all their hair and poo poo is very plainly just part of a static "head" model and even that isn't flexing relative to the body at all. That's probably the most egregious example, but even in the "better" areas the animation honestly looks like complete rear end for the most part, it's more like an early 360 era title than even a PS4 game. From doesn't seem capable of moving forward at all from where they were with Demons Souls other than adding in a few polygons and a bit higher res textures. There really isn't an excuse for this, while not everyone is always at the bleeding edge, there's no one else making $60 games that has adapted this little. Madden shows more visual improvement FFS.

This is a lot to extrapolate from a split second clip of two blokes barely moving.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re: the open world stuff. Miyazaki described the structure of the game shortly after it was revealed and it sounds like it's basically wide open areas that connect more traditional Souls style levels. So I wouldn't go in expecting it to be Red Dead Redemption all of a sudden.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Adding my ‘lol’ re: that post

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I hope there’s no map, or if there is it’s like Shadow of the Colossus style. Miyazaki already said it’s not really ‘open world’, but called it ‘open air’, so I doubt it will be anything like your average triple A open world game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

K8.0 posted:

ugh imagine living like this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

K8.0 posted:

Source your quotes?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K8.0 posted:

This post stinks, but I will admit that on paper there are some things in all Fromsoft games that aren't very "state of the art". But it also doesn't matter. From isn't competing with other AAA games in the way you seem to be implying. Their story isn't that of a dev trying to create a top of the line AAA technical showpiece for Sony, or MS or whatever. They started out as an underdog making AA games barely anyone cared about, and were thrust into the spotlight for doing something that (I don't think I'm being hyperbolic here) sort of changed everything. They have never seemed to give a poo poo about certain things that are becoming industry standard like mocapped faces or photorealism or whatever. So their games might not line up with some of the things you'd expect from "AAA" but it doesn't matter at all, because they have always just prioritized what they wanted to and done their own thing, and thats what got them where they are today. Not keeping up with the joneses.

Also most of your bullet points are just flat out wrong because the animation is awesome and the game looks great.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

not happy about this post tbh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

This post stinks, but I will admit that on paper there are some things in all Fromsoft games that aren't very "state of the art". But it also doesn't matter. From isn't competing with other AAA games in the way you seem to be implying. Their story isn't that of a dev trying to create a top of the line AAA technical showpiece for Sony, or MS or whatever. They started out as an underdog making AA games barely anyone cared about, and were thrust into the spotlight for doing something that (I don't think I'm being hyperbolic here) sort of changed everything. They have never seemed to give a poo poo about certain things that are becoming industry standard like mocapped faces or photorealism or whatever. So their games might not line up with some of the things you'd expect from "AAA" but it doesn't matter at all, because they have always just prioritized what they wanted to and done their own thing, and thats what got them where they are today. Not keeping up with the joneses.

Also most of your bullet points are just flat out wrong because the animation is awesome and the game looks great.

Bigtime :yeah:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

K8.0 posted:

I'm glad someone was brave enough to say this. Nintendo did open world with Hyrule Field on the N64 and this barely looks better.

Rockstar did shrinking horse testicles years ago and I also didn't see any equine balls at all in this game with horses in it.

Stagnant.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 11, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

not happy about this post tbh

Nor should you be! :hai:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Imhotep posted:

I hope there’s no map, or if there is it’s like Shadow of the Colossus style. Miyazaki already said it’s not really ‘open world’, but called it ‘open air’, so I doubt it will be anything like your average triple A open world game.

Did he seriously call it "open air"? Because I would be tickled, that was also a term used by its publisher to describe the open world game that I did not mention last page that I hope Miyazaki has been inspired by.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Al Fresco Souls

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

iirc From described it as "open field"

kings field successor theory real

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Xenolalia posted:

iirc From described it as "open field"

open field sounds very Ueda-esque

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Hope Elden Ring keeps the FROM tradition of having NPCs standing just staring at you talking without the lips moving

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i agree with that dude the studio that made bloodborne and sekiro hasn't reallly progressed visually from demons souls.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hatty posted:

Source your quotes?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

K8.0 posted:

- this is a foul note

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

acksplode posted:

Did he seriously call it "open air"? Because I would be tickled, that was also a term used by its publisher to describe the open world game that I did not mention last page that I hope Miyazaki has been inspired by.

Whoops sry, ‘open field’, I think I was subconsciously thinking of the game you were talking about.

BP, there’s some more info on the basic premise of the game from the website, if you want to add it to the OP:

The Golden Order has been broken.

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord

And some more generic ad copy, but it confirms a few things at least
“ A NEW FANTASY WORLD
Journey through the Lands Between, a new fantasy world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series, and George R. R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Unravel the mysteries of the Elden Ring’s power. Encounter adversaries with profound backgrounds, characters with their own unique motivations for helping or hindering your progress, and fearsome creatures.”

“ WORLD EXPLORATION IN THE LANDS BETWEEN
ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title.”

“ GENRE-DEFINING GAMEPLAY
Create your character in FromSoftware's refined action-RPG and define your playstyle by experimenting with a wide variety of weapons, magical abilities, and skills found throughout the world.

Charge into battle, pick off enemies one-by-one using stealth, or even call upon allies for aid. Many options are at your disposal as you decide how to approach exploration and combat. “

Obviously whoever leaked that George RR Martin was involved knew something, but they said the name was going to be Great Rune, which are the ‘shards of the Elden Ring’

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 12, 2021

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The Kalevala links have me wanting to see if I won't bounce off Noita this time.

Or I could just watch this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdfUkrbNvwA

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

The sci fi hollywood music was very inappropriate. Looks like another generic souls game. Only thing that seems somewhat interesting is the mounted combat.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I started loving Fromsoft because they're like a company that makes really spicy food and people that love it can't get enough and they refuse the make it less spicy for the weak folks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

infraboy posted:

I started loving Fromsoft because they're like a company that makes really spicy food and people that love it can't get enough and they refuse the make it less spicy for the weak folks.

Hell yeah

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The sci fi hollywood music was very inappropriate. Looks like another generic souls game. Only thing that seems somewhat interesting is the mounted combat.

Die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

infraboy posted:

:yeah:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Moofia Boss Val posted:

weak babbies itt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Let's not do this.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Let's not do this.

You want some too?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

You want some too?

Yes, give me some.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Moofia Boss Val posted:

What is sci fi exactly about harps, taiko drums, and orchestral brass/strings/choir??

net cafe scandal posted:

You want some too?

I read this in an LPC kinda way and loled

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pot just wants to boogie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

every enemy and armor and weapon they make is just so cool

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think about living in the brains of people who are already complaining and it makes my head shudder uncontrollably.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hogama posted:

Pot just wants to boogie.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I saw a shield! Are shields viable again!? Can the ugly onus of “passivity” finally gently caress off and let us lowly swordanbords turtle in peace!?!?