Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

socialsecurity posted:

Wait did he sexually assault someone? I thought he accidently left his cam on and they caught him jacking it?

Masturbating on video in front of coworkers is sexual assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The NYT continues to be the worst

https://twitter.com/allisongeroi/status/1403330173605457923

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Not included in the tweets: This was written by Gabriel Schoenfeld, whose record should speak for itself

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I need a list of lovely NYT/WaPo/Atlantic/Bloomberg op-eds journalists so I can keep track of 'em.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 11, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I need a list of lovely NYT journalists so I can keep track of 'em.

The journalists are fine. It's the op-eds that can be terrible, but that's the point of op-eds.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The Sean posted:

Masturbating on video in front of coworkers is sexual assault.

Legally speaking, sexual assault requires physical contact in most jurisdictions. Of course I don't really care if people want to call what Toobin did sexual assault because it's still really gross.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is there still hope for passage of a minimum wage increase anytime soon? Will the chatter about recent inflation make it more, or less, politically possible to pass? (I see arguments of "now it's needed more than ever" vs. "can't do it because it would add fuel to the inflation fire and make your Whopper cost $10."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

goethe.cx posted:

Legally speaking, sexual assault requires physical contact in most jurisdictions. Of course I don't really care if people want to call what Toobin did sexual assault because it's still really gross.

The reason I made that post is the person was comparing Toobin to 2 rapists so I was assuming there was more out there I hadn't heard of beyond the initial incident, what he did was bad and sexual harassment but from the tone it seemed like there was more history that I was not aware of(which at this point I know there is he of course being an old white man has a past)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Number_6 posted:

Is there still hope for passage of a minimum wage increase anytime soon? Will the chatter about recent inflation make it more, or less, politically possible to pass? (I see arguments of "now it's needed more than ever" vs. "can't do it because it would add fuel to the inflation fire and make your Whopper cost $10."

It was ruled not eligible for reconciliation so it's dead unless the filibuster is fully nuked

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

It was ruled not eligible for reconciliation so it's dead unless the filibuster is fully nuked

It's dead even if the filibuster is fully nuked. There aren't close to 50 votes in the Senate for it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Number_6 posted:

There are enough dems vehemently opposed to it that it's completely dead in the water nationally. The only way feasible way forward is for more state level minimum wages to increase.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Srice posted:

There are enough dems vehemently opposed to it that it's completely dead in the water nationally. The only way feasible way forward is for more state level minimum wages to increase.

Well we might get one but it's going to be some lovely like $10 a hour thing and then next time everyone pushes for one we will hear "you just got a minimum raise increase!"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Well we might get one but it's going to be some lovely like $10 a hour thing and then next time everyone pushes for one we will hear "you just got a minimum raise increase!"

Yea definitely, I shoulda clarified that there are enough dems opposed to a livable minimum wage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Does twitter pay out for tweet threads like a 8 minute YouTube now or something?

Checkmarks are treating it like blogs and driving engagement or whatever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

These businesses found a way around the worker shortage: Raising wages to $15 an hour or more

quote:

The owners of Klavon’s Ice Cream Parlor had hit a wall.

For months, the 98-year-old confectionary in Pittsburgh couldn’t find applicants for the open positions it needed to fill ahead of warmer weather and, hopefully, sunnier times for the business after a rough year.

The job posting for scoopers — $7.25 an hour plus tips — did not produce a single application between January and March.

So owner Jacob Hanchar decided to more than double the starting wage to $15 an hour, plus tips, “just to see what would happen.”

The shop was suddenly flooded with applications. More than 1,000 piled in over the course of a week.

“It was like a dam broke,” Hanchar said. Media coverage that followed his decision soon pushed other candidates his way.

Imagine that!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

People want to be paid for the work they do, what a concept!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

People want to be paid for the work they do, what a concept!

Sounds like communist talk to me.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Sounds like communist talk to me.

Actually it's quite capitalist.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seems like the minimum wage isn't needed after all. Checkmate libs!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Actually it's quite capitalist.

Freedom isn’t free!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
but how many giga dollars did the job creator raise its price?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, there was this crazy long lines of CEOs and brain surgeons who had quit their job to go make the easy money as cone scoopers. It was nuts.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Sifill_LDF/status/1402998107185442818

A study that will change no previously held opinions.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Srice posted:

Jeez I thought raising the minimum wage was a core issue for Democrats. Biden campaigned on it (in part) and it's in the loving party platform. Which shitass Ds would be against it?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

~15 senators?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

brugroffil posted:

~15 senators?

Wasn't it like 7 or so that voted against having it in the reconciliation bill earlier?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo imagine wanting to pay someone $7.25 an hour in 2021

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Sax Mortar posted:

Wasn't it like 7 or so that voted against having it in the reconciliation bill earlier?

It was eight, including Sinema, Jeanine Shaheen, Maggie Hasan, Tester, and then the shithead duo from Delaware in Carper and Coons, Manchin, and Angus King (independent)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

https://twitter.com/Sifill_LDF/status/1402998107185442818

A study that will change no previously held opinions.

People compare BLM and January 6 as gatherings, and that's just the way the narrative is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ex post facho posted:

It was eight, including Sinema, Jeanine Shaheen, Maggie Hasan, Tester, and then the shithead duo from Delaware in Carper and Coons, Manchin, and Angus King (independent)
What was Angus' excuse?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yes but won’t somebody please think of the children fully insured corporate property?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Doesn't Manchin realize if he votes with dems to pass Biden's agenda he will be the bi-partisan element he claims to crave?

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Grouchio posted:

What was Angus' excuse?

The other senator from his state is Susan Collins and in the news constantly. Gotta keep up with her somehow.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Doesn't Manchin realize if he votes with dems to pass Biden's agenda he will be the bi-partisan element he claims to crave?

He considers Biden far left. He is talking about the Democratic Party inside his head mostly.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PulitzerPrizes/status/1403401914532962305

She did film the most consequential video footage of the last, I dunno,20 years?

There was no award issued for political cartoons this year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1403401114100371459

Pulitzer Prize winning newsroom Buzzfeed

https://twitter.com/meghara/status/1403436259385688070?s=19

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Grouchio posted:

What was Angus' excuse?

No idea. Maine already is already at $12.15, on its way to $16 in 2025. On a related note, I had a meeting with a top member of his staff right after he got into the senate and asked the very tough question 'What are the top priorities on Senator King's agenda?' and he replied that they were just taking a wait and see approach and getting the lay of the land. Uhhh, wut?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Biden tells Chuck Schumer to 'go ahead' with calls for $50,000 in student-debt cancellation.

quote:

Democratic lawmakers have been keeping the pressure on President Joe Biden to cancel $50,000 in student debt per borrower. Biden just told a top Democrat to keep the calls coming.

Student Debt Crisis, an advocacy organization, led an event on Wednesday to urge Biden to take action on the $1.7 trillion student-debt crisis. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren — two leading lawmakers on the issue of debt cancellation — joined the event and said they had met with Biden on the issue and told him they'd be unrelenting in their push to get student debt forgiven.

"We said, 'We're going to keep at it until you do this,' and to his [Biden's] credit, he said, 'Go ahead.' He's talked about 10 thousand — that's not enough," Schumer said during the event. "We're keeping the pressure on him."

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"go ahead and keep asking, I'm not gonna do poo poo"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't read biden saying 'go ahead' to that as any kind of sign to be optimistic. it's often a snarky response, and biden has demonstrated snark (when not outright hostility) when he disagrees with someone or something a hell of a lot of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why would they forgive that much student debt when the same Senate won’t increase wages for working people during a pandemic?