Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Done and done.

I’ve been mobile posting but it apparently killed my (ATT’s) modem too. They offered to mail me a new one but google had an appointment for tomorrow so that’s what I’m gonna do. Gonna have a 2Gb download speed this time tomorrow. For forums posting.

Knock on wood my PC and other expensive tech things are still acting like the surge didn’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rolo posted:

Done and done.

I’ve been mobile posting but it apparently killed my (ATT’s) modem too. They offered to mail me a new one but google had an appointment for tomorrow so that’s what I’m gonna do. Gonna have a 2Gb download speed this time tomorrow. For forums posting.

Knock on wood my PC and other expensive tech things are still acting like the surge didn’t happen.

:jpmf: at 2gbps

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I went on a quest a while back to determine if surge protectors are actually necessary, given that none of them are rated to stand up lightning, and both the power grid and your house are set up to prevent surges from lightning getting into the house. My conclusion was 'probably not unless you live somewhere with shoddy power (i.e. prone to brownouts or whatnot)' but getting actionable information was basically impossible. I did find some sources suggesting the majority of the damage from non-catastrophic surges would be inflicted upon / absorbed by power supplies.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thank you for that woefully poor research report.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m in a large new building in a big city where the power has never even flickered in a storm. When the lightning struck, hurting my ears and making my entire apartment go white, the damage was immediate. My neighbor lost their modem too and the guy below me lost some stuff he uses for his fish tank.

It was 100% a direct result of lightning.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the common knowledge I've heard is that if you have unstable power issues you really want a UPS, because a power surge can get compensated by a surge protector but that same piece of gear can't do anything for a brownout or LACK of power; and the only way around that is to have a battery stapled to it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rolo posted:

I’m in a large new building in a big city where the power has never even flickered in a storm. When the lightning struck, hurting my ears and making my entire apartment go white, the damage was immediate. My neighbor lost their modem too and the guy below me lost some stuff he uses for his fish tank.

It was 100% a direct result of lightning.

Lightning'll do that in unlucky situations, but surges that large will overwhelm a surge protectors protection immediately and jump any gaps from blown components, they're just not designed for that kind of thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So just say oh well and try to unplug my poo poo when storms come through?

I mean this is the first time in my entire life I’ve had lightning bork something so if the answer is to not really do anything I’m cool with that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

So just say oh well and try to unplug my poo poo when storms come through?

I mean this is the first time in my entire life I’ve had lightning bork something so if the answer is to not really do anything I’m cool with that.

It's about all you can do, though I really only bother when it's a real nasty one. The power grid is set up to handle getting hit by lightning, so it has to hit close enough that the grid can't deal with it but far enough that whatever lightning protection, if any, your building has doesn't ground the whole thing, so actual lightning damage is rare, though as you've experienced not impossible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m pretty sure it hit the train station downstairs. It was the closest to myself that lightning has hit, basically flash banged my whole apartment even though my door and windows are thick enough to drown out the train.

Lightning is powerful, we should all be more afraid of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I lost a few power supplies to hurricane isabel in '03 so I've got a bunch of UPSes on everything. It's no guarantee but since we lose power at least 5 times a year it's worthwhile to be able to power things off safely when the power gets wonky. Surge protectors are also good but get name brands with higher joule ratings (when they're on sale, preferably).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
My data drive has grown larger than my backup drive's size, and was looking at the WD My Book 8TB as an upgrade. What's the My Book like vs, say, WD Elements, or something by Seagate or maybe a HDD dock and just buy regular 8TB HDD's?

I'm after something that can be easily and quickly be unplugged and taken away (ie, there's a house fire, I can just grab it and go)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

My data drive has grown larger than my backup drive's size, and was looking at the WD My Book 8TB as an upgrade. What's the My Book like vs, say, WD Elements, or something by Seagate or maybe a HDD dock and just buy regular 8TB HDD's?

I'm after something that can be easily and quickly be unplugged and taken away (ie, there's a house fire, I can just grab it and go)

Man if my home is on fire there is no way I'm going to have the presence of mind to grab a harddrive. Keep your irreplaceable stuff in an offsite backup like AWS S3 Glacier or Backblaze B2.

To actually answer your question, the Seagate and WD external HDDs are pretty much equivalent these days, you should buy whatever is on sale or has the lowest $/TB. You can also check out diskprices.com or another aggregator (that's just the only one I know because it works in Canada).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chia mining has hurt all the cool sale prices on externals but when there are sales they show up on https://shucks.top and you can see the lows and the last time there was a sale, etc. Usually there's a couple of sales a month but it's been 45+ days for most of them now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Update: new AC adapter fixed the issue. Monitor is fine :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Update: new AC adapter fixed the issue. Monitor is fine :)

Amazing!

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
So I'm looking for a specific kind of monitor with the following functionality:

1920x1080 native res
HDMI input
24 inch or bigger
1-2ms response time
AUX output (ie plug headphones directly into monitor)

Does anyone know of anything on the market with these particular features? The main thing I'm struggling with is the AUX output - I'm sure many monitors do have this but sites I have looked at also don't list it as a feature.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sheriff Falc posted:

So I'm looking for a specific kind of monitor with the following functionality:

1920x1080 native res
HDMI input
24 inch or bigger
1-2ms response time
AUX output (ie plug headphones directly into monitor)

Does anyone know of anything on the market with these particular features? The main thing I'm struggling with is the AUX output - I'm sure many monitors do have this but sites I have looked at also don't list it as a feature.

They definitely exist (I have one) but yeah I don’t even think mine listed it and I was surprised to see it.

This is the 1080p version of the 32 inch one I have.

29" Curved 100Hz LED Gaming Monitor Full HD 1080P Ultra Wide HDMI DP Ports with Speakers, VESA Wall Mount Ready(DP Cable Included) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B088FT7ZMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DY52PP7TYPTCRHM8BRG9

This one as well

ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27” HDR Monitor, 1080P Full HD (1920 x 1080), Fast IPS, 280Hz, G-SYNC Compatible, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync (ELMB SYNC), 1ms, DisplayHDR 400, https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0845QFDVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TPK65VG05KF1AMBJ9V0F

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 11, 2021

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Thank you! I will check them out

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can on board video handle playing big recent video files? I know processor speed is a factor as well, looking at stuff like the i5 10th gen 10400 or similar AMD ones. Also is one company better than the other at on board video lately?

(That's the quick version, here's some extra optional info)

I've googled it, I've heard some say some high end codec big mkv files might choke on one. But I've also heard some say stuff about them being able to handle it. Also some say intel has QuickSync which can help, but then I saw a post saying it has quicksync for h264 but not h265. And that I might have to check to see if some thing is enabled etc.

I've heard a GPU helps with video files, but those are pricey lately and more for gaming. Are they really needed for video files? I've always had a GPU, so I've never had to find out.

This is a question for a future computer, since I was looking to get a midrange prebuilt one for a few years, and use PS5 for gaming. I'm replacing my 9 years old custom PC a friend built for me, which was i5-2500k with 8gb ram etc. I'd use a PS5 for new games. The thing is, prebuilt computers either include a good GPU with low other stuff I need (only 8gb of ram when I'd want 12 or 16 gb), etc. I can find ones with specs I like for a good price (say under $850), but they tend to only have on board video.

Just posting that as extra info here. Not looking to make a thread about my prebuilt PC purchase intentions, I know that would make me the laughing stock of the lunchroom! I should keep my old Cooler Master case PC my friend built in 2012 around just in case somebody is looking, so I can still have some gaming credentials.

But there are laptop users here too etc, I figure they've had experience playing videos on on-board chips etc. I assume desktop ones have similar performance there.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 12, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 10th Gens should not have an issue. 10th and 11th gen CPUs have pretty decent iGPUs at this point which are significantly better over previous versions.

IMO AMD has a better iGPUs but intel has faster CPU horsepower (at the expense of power and cost)

This dude's channel actually reviews a lot of boxes with just iGPUs and tests video playback as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNk-r1tr1dc

You really shouldn't have an issue 10th gen or newer. That video above is with an ultra low power intel CPU.

This is an AMD 4300G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeraxz7JlX8

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 12, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Honestly even early igpus could handle 90% of video playback, you should be fine with anything relatively recent. I was playing blu-ray rips on HD 4000 igpus a decade ago and things have only gotten better since.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Laptops have the advantage of getting onboard NVidia, even in midrange $500 models. I don't see desktops getting similar options unless you get an all-in-one (which may not be considered a desktop at all, by many people).

Also, keep in mind that AMD owns ATI, so the pedigree is a bit longer in that respect. I don't have as many issues with onboard ATI than onboard Intel, but maybe Intel integrated graphics have improved somewhat since I last used it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They have greatly improved in the 10th and 11th gens and rival AMD (and beat in a lot of cases).

iGPUs have come a long way recently.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Does anyone know of an overclocking program that actually works? My bios doesn't have overclocking embedded in it. I have an Intel processor and a Radeon GPU.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
MSI Afterburner is what's usually used for overclocking GPUs

for Intel CPUs, you have to make sure that you're using a Z-model motherboard, and a K-model processor in order to be able to overclock. If you have both of those I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to overclock from your BIOS

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for that info on iGPUs all, good to know.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Is there a software that lets you record CPU temperatures and that saves data at a high enough frequency that you can see the state of a system just before a crash?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm experiencing a lot of system instability recently. CTDs and Bluescreens, mainly. As I'm testing for days, I'm getting the feeling that environmental temperature plays a big role. Temps, especially on the CPU, seem to be pretty high, and my NZXT AIO seems to struggle with keeping the CPU cool. I would like to zoom into that further.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Argus Monitor

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

MSI Afterburner is what's usually used for overclocking GPUs

for Intel CPUs, you have to make sure that you're using a Z-model motherboard, and a K-model processor in order to be able to overclock. If you have both of those I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to overclock from your BIOS

Yeah I use that for my card also.

I've tried; but I have a Dell Optiplex 790. Is there a modded bios you could recommend for this system? My processor is a sandy bridge intel 2400. My motherboard is a generic stock from dell (0D28YY).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spacegrass posted:

Yeah I use that for my card also.

I've tried; but I have a Dell Optiplex 790. Is there a modded bios you could recommend for this system? My processor is a sandy bridge intel 2400. My motherboard is a generic stock from dell (0D28YY).

I’m afraid a workstation i2400 almost definitely isn’t an i2400k and won’t support overclocking.

I vaguely remember that there is a workaround of sorts for non-k cpus but it’s pain in the rear end and the gains are minimal. If you’re just looking for a fun project, I’m sure somebody here knows how.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

LRADIKAL posted:

Argus Monitor

This seems to be what I need. However, it's telling me:

"Error: Could not load driver" for all functions. Can't find usable information about this on the web. Do you know what the program expects me to do?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The only thing that I know you can do with non-K Sandy Bridge is raise the B-clock, and I’ve never had any success raising it to more than 103-104(stock is 100). That’ll give you about 100mhz more speed, and that’s about all you’re gonna get.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

This seems to be what I need. However, it's telling me:

"Error: Could not load driver" for all functions. Can't find usable information about this on the web. Do you know what the program expects me to do?

Uninstall / reinstall, something went wrong I think. Unless you don't have your motherboard chipset drivers installed? But I'm sure you do

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

CloFan posted:

Uninstall / reinstall, something went wrong I think. Unless you don't have your motherboard chipset drivers installed? But I'm sure you do

Ah, that did it. Running some tests tomorrow.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
If an SSD suddenly shows up as Unknown/<Controller Name> with 20MB capacity, it's pretty well hosed isn't it?

I was swapping some other stuff in my server and suddenly both of the SSDs I had in a mirrored RAIDZ are doing it. Tried reseating and different connections. Even took one out and put it in a USB dock on another computer and thats all it shows up as. Looking at the hot swap 5.25 to 6x2.5" dock one of the sata power ports is a little gnarled on the little L corner, I guess it could have been that?

I have backups of the critical stuff but its gonna be a PITA to restore everything as it had my VMs and such. I was really banking on both not taking a poo poo at the exact same time! Uncanny no matter how many precautions I take life finds a way

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
The other computer might just not recognize the RAIDZ partitions? Does it see any partitions at all? If not, it looks like you've lost your data.

Vir fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 14, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just noticed that my PSU is a couple of days shy of 7 years old. What's the typical lifetime of these things? It's a Corsair AX860i, and it's been running pretty much 24/7.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d say it’s getting close to change time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's got a 10 year warranty, unless it didn't 7 years ago. If you haven't been running it full tilt all that time it's probably fine.