Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Giving the "make everything BR starts only" people what they wanted helped make matchmaking really lovely back in the day

They kept the BR spawns in Auto Slayer playlists too so now not only are you dealing with them constantly, if you don't spawn near one you're a free kill. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finished playing Halo 2 and am working through Halo 3 now. Its been a long time since I played any of the campaigns. Its sort of odd how both Halo 1 and 3 are about the Flood as the real enemy and aren't really that concerned with the Covenant other than an additional obstacle. Halo 2 inverts that by giving so much emphasis on the Covenant inner politics but the main event, the Civil War, just kind of happens suddenly. Chief is still just killing everyone who gets in his way but Johnson very willingly teams up with the Arbiter pretty arbitrarily. I'm curious about what the series would have been if Halo 1's story didn't get cut down or if Halo 2 actually had an ending.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shiroc posted:

I'm curious about what the series would have been if Halo 1's story didn't get cut down or if Halo 2 actually had an ending.

Well we do have a better outline of what it would have been like now, since the original storyboards and outline for Halo 2's cut ending were released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcUIKap8ur4

Basically, the Ark was actually on Earth, and Chief and The Dervish (Arbiter's original title) teamed up to defeat Truth and stop the Covenant once and for all, with the Dervish finally discovering that the Forerunners were ancient humans, rather than the weird aliens from 4 and the books. Halo 3 would have presumably been about finding a new way to stop The Flood now that the Rings were deactivated.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Interesting. That ending would have probably made for a better Halo 2 even if a Halo 3 is less obvious other than resolving Cortana and the Flood. It might have closed off some of the terrible story directions that 343 took the series, which would have only been a positive.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I feel there shouldn't be any precision weapons at all on the map when the game type 'precision slayer' isn't selected. Halo is funnest when it's close quarters grenading and melee'ing imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shiroc posted:

Interesting. That ending would have probably made for a better Halo 2 even if a Halo 3 is less obvious other than resolving Cortana and the Flood. It might have closed off some of the terrible story directions that 343 took the series, which would have only been a positive.

Considering how dumb Halo 3's story is I'd have taken the original Halo 2 ending and a longer wait time until Halo 3. But as the video points out, a lot of the dumber stuff in Halo was the result of rushed development and Microsoft basically blackmailing Bungie into giving them more control in exchange for not letting their studio die from internal mismanagement. So wanting a better Halo 2 and bungie fully realize their vision for the franchise is pretty much all predicated on them having a much better working relationship with Microsoft than the frankly toxic one they were stuck with.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can look at Destiny for a case study in how Bungie executes story without outside pressure on the process.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
To be fair, most of the writers at Bungie left between Halo and Destiny, and the lead writer I think left during Destiny's development.

And now the guy leading Destiny was someone who didn't even work at Bungie during the Halo days.

Games are long projects and studios have lots of turnover.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Halo 2 was the only good story Bungie ever did and they lost the dude that did it due to terrible company culture fighting.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, most of the writers at Bungie left between Halo and Destiny, and the lead writer I think left during Destiny's development.

And now the guy leading Destiny was someone who didn't even work at Bungie during the Halo days.

Games are long projects and studios have lots of turnover.

Tell me more :allears:

(there isn't a 'guy' leading Destiny's writing team right now, she's a woman; unless you mean Luke Smith who was absolutely there for Halo)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

You can look at Destiny for a case study in how Bungie executes story without outside pressure on the process.

Paul McCartney becomes a Force Ghost and sings a bad pop song?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have a friend who's a big Beatles fan and I played that for them and they got very upset

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I haven't actually played Halo 5 and I'll get around to inflicting that on myself at some point but I can't get my head around how they decided that was finally time to pick up the idea of making Cortana evil. Halo 3+4 should have firmly put an end to that concept. Every 343 Halo seems to have been a soft reset of the continuity so maybe Infinite, if it ever actually comes out, will just ignore it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The golden rule of Halo games is that no Halo game is allowed to be a coherent sequel to the game before it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why did the Spirit of Fire show up over the Ark? Who cares! Here's some Brutes!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

Tell me more :allears:

(there isn't a 'guy' leading Destiny's writing team right now, she's a woman; unless you mean Luke Smith who was absolutely there for Halo)

I was talking about Smith, and I was wrong he joined during the Halo 3 era.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm playing Halo 5 and even as a big Halo 4 apologist this is not very good :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

General Battuta posted:

I'm playing Halo 5 and even as a big Halo 4 apologist this is not very good :(

How many warden eternal fights have you done? :haw:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Sounds like someone doesn't enjoy new character [SPARTAN JAMESON LOCKE]. Please like [SPARTAN JAMESON LOCKE]. We've put [SPARTAN JAMESON LOCKE] in Halo 2. [SPARTAN JAMESON LOCKE] is the future.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

That and yoko showing up for the other game was the high water mark for gaming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spartan Locke is key to all of this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flannelette posted:

That and yoko showing up for the other game was the high water mark for gaming.

She did?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not having marines as your buddies in Halo 5 hurts.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I think it was at the a earlier e3, not a bungie game it was a Beatles game but that E3 and the ones around it (crazy ubisoft stuff, kinect, wiiu) was when everything jumped the shark and after that e3 and other expos died down.

Halo TV show?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 11, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Halo 5 loving baffles me, it's full of ideas I like in isolation (more player agility, ADS, larger combat spaces, more enemies and AI squadmates) but then you put them all together and it's...so inert.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The focus on larger battles never seems to pan out because the demands of graphics hogging all the processing power means they either dumb down the AI or just fill maps with grunts and jackals and it turns into a piss easy shooting gallery.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not having marines as your buddies in Halo 5 hurts.

Going back through 1-3 made me take every Marine death personally. I tried drat hard to keep them alive and equipped with better guns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shiroc posted:

Going back through 1-3 made me take every Marine death personally. I tried drat hard to keep them alive and equipped with better guns.

Infinite Spartan Laser on an ODST riding piggyback on a mongoose in Halo 3 is a thing of beauty.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

General Battuta posted:

Halo 5 loving baffles me, it's full of ideas I like in isolation (more player agility, ADS, larger combat spaces, more enemies and AI squadmates) but then you put them all together and it's...so inert.

I dunno, if Halo 5's design doc was just a checklist of items derived from a series of (probably poorly formatted) ranking questions it makes perfect sense. Do they have all the elements of Make A Halo? Yes! Did they put them together in a fashion which is enjoyable well that's not on the checklist buddy

yes this is me applying my same complaint about 4 to 5, what of it.

I really hope Infinite is fun. I think 343 can do it but I really hope a lot of it is ignoring a lot of what they did in 4/5. But then as you say, that is standard for the franchise so it's plausible!

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 11, 2021

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Infinite Spartan Laser on an ODST riding piggyback on a mongoose in Halo 3 is a thing of beauty.

Tsavo Highway with a Transport Warthog and 4 Marines armed with Fuel Rod Cannons. Carving a path through the Covenant with green plasma (and occasionally yourself)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Odsts with rocket launchers riding shotgun on a scorpion on Delta Halo.

That one is really hard to pull off

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Psion posted:

I dunno, if Halo 5's design doc was just a checklist of items derived from a series of (probably poorly formatted) ranking questions it makes perfect sense. Do they have all the elements of Make A Halo? Yes! Did they put them together in a fashion which is enjoyable well that's not on the checklist buddy

yes this is me applying my same complaint about 4 to 5, what of it.

I really hope Infinite is fun. I think 343 can do it but I really hope a lot of it is ignoring a lot of what they did in 4/5. But then as you say, that is standard for the franchise so it's plausible!

My impression seems to be that Infinite is such an explicit, self conscious throwback to Halo 2+3 that it'll either be okay or super dull.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

As long as the customization is better than 4. Jesus Christ every one of the armor pieces is over designed garbage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

As long as the customization is better than 4. Jesus Christ every one of the armor pieces is over designed garbage.

The shoulder pads don't connect to the arms at all as far as I can tell

Just real bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cool thing I recently found out. In Halo 2 at the end of Sacred Icon in the section called 100,000 Year War, you see a big floating facility in the distance get shot down by wraith mortars. I never put it together before but the giant burning facility you have to travel through in Quarantine Zone is actually the wreckage of that floating factory thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHMHh5Kfbd4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it looks like team colors might be removed from Halo Infinite team multi.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Probably not necessary anymore anyway. We're not playing on a 480p screen split 4 ways anymore so target identification is a lot easier.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
More Halo tomorrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-O7OuliQRY

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sick, tyvm.

I was really impressed with what they showed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are they sticking with the single shader/armor idea?