Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

“Oh hey three year orders to Pensacola to teach 746a what could possibly go wrong?”

I think I’ll pass at this moment in time. If they were in San Diego however…. Pensacola is loving a pain to fly to from WA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
P-cola is only a slightly smaller dumpstrr fire than Jacksonville.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

“Oh hey three year orders to Pensacola to teach 746a what could possibly go wrong?”

I think I’ll pass at this moment in time. If they were in San Diego however…. Pensacola is loving a pain to fly to from WA.

Crab dad you're going to have more active time than I did and I was AD.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

If it was in San Diego I'd buy you a beer. Hell, if you're ever in San Diego I'll do that.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Cursed image.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Should've started with Shipmate! instead

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
what the gently caress

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Castaways ahoy!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hi shippies, i could use a reminder here from someone with fresher experience.

We used to use a method of staging mooring lines that involve laying them out in repeating figure 8 loops and then going back and putting a turn on one end across all the loops?

I didn't act as a line handler very often and never really understood how it worked in the first place but is like to try staging my garden hose that way.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and could explain it to me that would be very good.

E: i think it was used when transferring lines with shot line and an m14

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Faking down lines?

https://youtu.be/wUBHtbWLmxo

titties
May 10, 2012

YES, thank you. It was very difficult to Google since i couldn't remember what it was called.

Maybe i could just have dug out my bluejacket's manual and found it in there. Thanks again

E: I've been out for 17 years and somehow it's easy to remember dumb poo poo like how to tie my neckerchief and lay in creases in the back of a utility shirt but anything useful is long gone.

I was extremely embarrassed the first time i launched my bass boat and couldn't remember how to do a cleat hitch

titties fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

No worries I’m a lovely IT who barely knows his actual job but I was very handy on deck line handling.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I did a bunch of line handling and didn't remember the drat name of that :D

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Watched a guy get his foot ripped off after he stepped in a lone bite right as the tension wire for the fuel line parted. He was lucky that was all he lost.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Crab Dad posted:

No worries I’m a lovely IT who barely knows his actual job but I was very handy on deck line handling.

Maybe the rest of the Navy is different but actually knowing your job is, in application, HIGHLY FROWNED UPON in the construction force

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Watched a guy get his foot ripped off after he stepped in a lone bite right as the tension wire for the fuel line parted. He was lucky that was all he lost.

My first ship kinda spoiled me for line handling safety, to this day I still have our cadence-esque safety brief committed to memory. I almost had a panic attack the first time we got my current ship underway and saw how they do things. I'm still trying to make an issue over it, get the BMs to hold some training. Makes my rear end in a top hat pucker seeing mother fuckers just plant a foot in a bight while the person at the other end pulls the line when they're faking out. Line captains grabbing the lifelines and standing on the figure-eights to compress them. Ugh. Same command that will send people to mast for having their phone in their pocket in CIC, but doesn't give a poo poo about smart watches because lol that's not a phone.

no watches rings or dangley things do not kick cut or straddle any tensioned lines stand six feet away from all bits bights or chocks if you see something unsafe sound off

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have a feeling that line handling injuries are among the simpler things that if they happen you as CO get a stern talking too from squadron and miss a promotion for.

But also lol about caring about sailor safety before said injuries?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The synthetic line snapback video still haunts my dreams all these years later.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Y’all ever hear a Kevlar line part?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I don't think I ever hated getting sent to line handling or Unrep details, I actually liked the exercise. Problem was that there was some very smug, incompetent junior enlisted folks that took all of the fun out of it and took advantage of the arrangement. The senior guys hanging around were always pretty easy to deal with. It still bums me out that the first Deck Department Head I dealt with was killed in the mudslide at Oso. He and my FCCM were very pragmatic individuals that I think I learned a lot from.

I will never gently caress around with a mooring line.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I few times I was around line handling I did not in any way feel safe nor trusted the competence or commitment to safety of any of the BMs or SWOs, everything seems rushed, haphazard and confused

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
what sort of manly alpha male sailorperson-mate would be afraid of a little bit of rope dead on the ground

not like it can jump up and bite you or anything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Has nobody ever made a Gadsden flag with just a coiled rope?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You guys should see how merchant marines dock EPF ships. Like 3 guy on the bow and 3 on the stern handling lines.

Oopsy doodles happen but we managed to avoid injuries.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Detached from my command today, after 6 1/2 years. Feels weird as hell. 30+ days of leave ahoy!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

DustyNuts posted:

Detached from my command today, after 6 1/2 years. Feels weird as hell. 30+ days of leave ahoy!

Congrats man, you doing anything special with your leave?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

I was on the forecastle and we parted two lines line five aft. SPACE HOMOS (if that’s still his username) was back aft when it happened. Loud af. It’s a bang you won’t forget.

Crab Dad posted:

You guys should see how merchant marines dock EPF ships. Like 3 guy on the bow and 3 on the stern handling lines.

They also have each line attached to a capstan that do all the work instead of using manpower for the same purpose.

E: changed it to be just line five back aft cause I can’t remember if we parted two lines or just that one. I only repaired one, so I think that’s it.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 11, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

FrozenVent posted:

Yes. Watched kevlar mooring lines on a Mexican frigate part during a tropical storm. They had tensioned them too tight and they drat near ripped the bollards right off the pier. One good swell was all it took. I was OOD on the flight deck of the Howard at the time. It was amazing nobody got hurt.

And yeah, it's a sound you'll never forget.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Never parted a line when I line handled. We also never had a BM. Maybe there is a reason we had no line parts? :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ours was miscommunication between tugs and pilothouse. The linehandlers did everything right.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Lake boats do it with two guys each ends.

I’ve been on a boat with semi automatic fairleads (they’re not a thing for a loving reason) and we could dock that thing with three guys on deck and two in the wheelhouse.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DustyNuts posted:

Congrats! Hope you get to have some fun on the trip west, Mugu is awesome. I love this little backwater base, even if we have to deal with raccoons pissing in the ceiling every now and then.

titties
May 10, 2012

I always hated doing colors when i was on a destroyer. Standing there at parade rest, straddling the bow line, waiting for the song to start.

Just watching the line go slack and then draw tight over and over.

Listening to it creeeeeeeaaaaak.

I knew there was no reason for it to break but in those times i was always a little convinced that i was about to die straddling a line that you were never supposed to stand over except in this one circumstance because someone has to lower the flag very slowly or else the terrorists win

E:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Congrats! Hope you get to have some fun on the trip west, Mugu is awesome. I love this little backwater base, even if we have to deal with raccoons pissing in the ceiling every now and then.

My dad was stationed there, i lived there for a couple of years. Dad taught a raccoon to come inside and eat a little dinner. We kids were fascinated by its hand washing.

The pizza place / bar Mugu's had the worst pizza I've ever had full stop.

I liked going to mugu Rock and checking out the seal beach, and it was nice sometimes to drive to Santa Monica and see them shooting baywatch.

Oxnard sucks rear end though

E2: that's where i met my wife

titties fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 12, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
They didn't just blow the whistle twice?

titties
May 10, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

They didn't just blow the whistle twice?

Probably, it's been a pretty long time but there must have been whistle blasts. They also blared taps throughout the entire base which is the part i remember more vividly

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was on the forecastle and we parted two lines line five aft. SPACE HOMOS (if that’s still his username) was back aft when it happened. Loud af. It’s a bang you won’t forget.

Ah ha! The proof that Mr. Nice is a fraud! Who the hell says types "forecastle" instead of "foc'sle?" :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I always type forecastle. It’s a trap for people to read and pronounce incorrectly if they don’t know. See also coxswain and boatswain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How the hell do you pronounce foc’sle and bosun?