Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
The new Loki show is good so far

the DB Cooper segment had me remembering the Epstein victim's claim that former CIA director William Colby was the guy's actual identity

https://twitter.com/KirbySommers/status/1270013715878903814?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thatfuturekid posted:

I don’t know the temperature of this take, but I think New Girl is really good and fairly consistent. Source: overnight worker binging the show again in the background.

I'm watching it now: Season 3 on is pretty hit or miss.

Fleetwood posted:

The new Loki show is good so far

the DB Cooper segment had me remembering the Epstein victim's claim that former CIA director William Colby was the guy's actual identity

https://twitter.com/KirbySommers/status/1270013715878903814?s=20

I'm going to bet everything he's doing it because he and Mobius realize that the TVA and the Timekeepers are the true villains. I'll be disappointed when his "the true power" throwaway line ends up being his actual motivation.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I wish they didn't have to call the department the TVA but other than that I had no complaints. The score is good too

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

more comics should try this tactic

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Bro Dad posted:

more comics should try this tactic

... Having guest appearances by Michael Rapaport?

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
That's Woody Harrelson, genius.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
poo poo

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Buck Breaking is a movie recently released by Tariq Nasheed, a one time rapper known as K-Flex, and former pick-up artist who is now a documentary filmmaker. The movie is about the ahistorical practice of taming black men using gay sex, which Tariq posits was done systemically during colonial American times, and is continued today through LGBT culture today.

The support for historical Buck Breaking is pretty flimsy, Tariq uses one historical example, and then extrapolates that to create a mythology of butt sex for all of Europe. Basically, the argument is this: Europeans are “people of ice” and Africans are “people of sun”, and the ice people sought to subvert and dominate the sun people. This is why colonialism, slavery and things like manifest destiny came about, which is really rooted in a desire for gay sex. Yes, the film really says this.

The documentary then dives into the actual buck breaking in America, which is filled with pictures of it happening. A special note has to be said here about the illustrations, which have been circulating online. 1) They are drawn in a kind of cheap looking Tumblr/Deviant Art style 2) there are a lot of them and 3) they, uh, oddly accentuate certain “aspects” in strange ways considering this is an anti-LGBT film. Fetishistic would the right word.

After the first half which sets the historical foundation of buck breaking, the film moves to the present day with a discussion of current day gender politics, and here the film goes completely off the rails. It’s just disjointed talking heads talking about things in a schizophrenic manner. Here’s some highlights, which is honestly just scratching the surface, or this review would be 5000 words long.

— The Catholic Church has a monument of a obelisk from Egypt in St Peters square, signifying the jealousy over African phalluses. (I should mention that they believe Ancient Egypt was a Black civilization).

— Muslim civilizations were white and helped introduce gayness into Africa, which is why it appears today that there is homosexual behavior among pure African cultures.

— Things that are gay or make you gay include onions, Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church

— A really random bit about a slave owner turning someone into a human crab?

— Rap music isn’t popular in Japan, and Asians can’t dance. We are shown video footage as proof. (No, what I wrote won’t make any more sense in the context of the film. It comes and then just as quickly goes)

— Amazing quotes which frequently made me laugh hard: Here’s Judge Joe Brown: “Because we have so few men in the hood it's easy to condition them to negativity. The typical hood rat thug is a lesbian in a man's body. These lesbian hood rats are raised like girls.”

— Really odd stock footage choices, like super sci-fi footage of a scientist playing with holograms over dialogue that has nothing to do with what’s onscreen

Buck Breaking is a complex masterpiece, the last time I laughed this hard was when I discovered Neil Breen. The director has done 4 or 5 other films, if they are 1/2 as funny as this one, oh man, we are in for a treat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

what the black gay christ

isnt he like a lib politcs guy? or was?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hodgepodge posted:

what the black gay christ

isnt he like a lib politcs guy? or was?

nah he's always been on some sort of weird hotep poo poo, he's just good enough at pr to promote himself. i seem to remember him pushing this a year or two back

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

recently busted through superstore as a 2nd monitor show while i worked, and it was alright. it was a michael schur show if he was about 75% more cynical and 50% more mean, so it was totally fine

it got a little courageous with the unionization stuff but then dropped it immediately after because of a sudden new plot point it was lame

I liked superstore. It wasn't revolutionary or anything, but it was nice to have a working class comedy on tv.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

— Things that are gay or make you gay include onions, Boy Scouts, the Catholic Church

where's the lie

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

The support for historical Buck Breaking is pretty flimsy, Tariq uses one historical example, and then extrapolates that to create a mythology of butt sex for all of Europe. Basically, the argument is this: Europeans are “people of ice” and Africans are “people of sun”, and the ice people sought to subvert and dominate the sun people. This is why colonialism, slavery and things like manifest destiny came about, which is really rooted in a desire for gay sex. Yes, the film really says this.

is this what people mean when they talk about the libidinal economy

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

StashAugustine posted:

nah he's always been on some sort of weird hotep poo poo, he's just good enough at pr to promote himself. i seem to remember him pushing this a year or two back

ah, okay... would have been wild if someone snapped between films and went from lib stuff to, uh... that

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

anti-black racism being primarily driven by an emotional desire to dominate black people, often sexually, is a sort of mainstream argument tbf. Tariq's take stands out for its homophobia

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

anti-black racism being primarily driven by an emotional desire to dominate black people, often sexually, is a sort of mainstream argument tbf. Tariq's take stands out for its homophobia

yeah this is sort of the insane final form of idealist explanations of racism

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Atrocious Joe posted:

Please tell me I'm misinterpreting you when I think you're saying that "racism is primarily about buttsex" because that is neither mainstream nor based in fact. The actual material foundations at the root of modern anti-Black racism (chattel slavery, Imperialist resource extraction) are well documented parts of the historical record.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if Tariq can get through Tongues Untied without leaving the room to meltdown

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Please tell me I'm misinterpreting you when I think you're saying that "racism is primarily about buttsex" because that is neither mainstream nor based in fact. The actual material foundations at the root of modern anti-Black racism (chattel slavery, Imperialist resource extraction) are well documented parts of the historical record.

you're right, but (wrong) idealist explanations still receive a lot of attention

i found this in like 3 minutes of googling for an academic paper

quote:

White people operated on libidinal conceptions of the African long before there ever existed a slave. The libido is a concept most relevant in the field of psychoanalysis which studies and attempts to map the unconscious mind. It influences and shapes the basis for sexual desire as a pursuit of power. The libidinal economy then is an organization of signs and symbols at the level of the metaphysical that originate from a sexualized need for control. Simply put, the libidinal economy can be understood as an intersection between sexual desire and domination. In terms of Africa, “White violence against the black body was compelled by a complex mixture of conscious identification, unconscious fears, and subconscious longings” (Tibbs and Woods 2008). Evidence of this is at the first European interaction with the African. Their first recorded observations of the Africans were not of their culture, but rather they were imaginations of the alleged African sexual bestiality (L-SAW 2010). Thus, the African became known by a bestial and sexual rubric within the white mind, and that shaped further interactions.

Evidence of white libidinal desires to control and possess the African are also in the lines of demarcation drawn between the civilizations. The very basis of racial slavery began “…with desire for the symbols of purity, honor, and humanity represented by whiteness and made possible by blackness and for the pleasure, exoticism, and self-loathing epitomized by blackness as constructed in opposition to whiteness (Tibbs and Woods 2008).” This is the organization of those metaphysical curiosities that fueled the projection of sexual representations onto the flesh. This libidinal construction is how African breasts and buttocks came to be represented as sexually abnormal, and in turn, it is ultimately what led to the construction of the Black woman as sexually insatiable. This was the basis for the white libidinal imagination to set the stage for a type a slavery previously unknown to the world: racial slavery.
http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/art...0Woods%202008).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

galagazombie posted:

i don't think they were saying that

jefferson is a good case study in the material incentives of slavery, since he was a vocal abolitionist until he owned slavex and saw the balance sheets. otoh his dead wife's 14 year old half sister, whose body he owned, was also part of it.

e: the fact that Shakespeare wrote a play about a white dude being driven to satanic evil by a black dude marrying a white girl centuries before slavery does lend some credence to the pyschosexual thesis imo

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Jun 11, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ok woke culture has gone too far

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Trabisnikof posted:

ok woke culture has gone too far

:colbert:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/jaynonamebe/status/1403049220744089607

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

there were English people enslaving Africans and transporting them to Spanish colonies at the same time Shakespeare was writing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
slavex sounds like Elon Musk returning to his roots

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Atrocious Joe posted:

there were English people enslaving Africans and transporting them to Spanish colonies at the same time Shakespeare was writing.

woah, they got a real quick start there then

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
really curious how that dude rectifies his belief with the existence of LGBT people throughout history in societies before contact with whites

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Peanut President posted:

really curious how that dude rectifies his belief with the existence of LGBT people throughout history in societies before contact with whites

it’s an op

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

indigi posted:

it’s an op

everything i don't like is an op

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
usually. and if it's not it's just usefully providing cover for an op

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Family Guy Woke Moments

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm not a fan of the series but what the hell happened to the second Kingsman movie?

The first has a plot where every rich and powerful person on Earth (including Obama) is conspiring to wipe out the unwashed masses - and it ends with every rich and powerful person on Earth getting their head exploded. In the sequel the big bad gal's evil plan is to force the President (who is a generic nobody) to end the drug war, and then when he decides to let every drug user on the planet die instead he is eventually punished with... impeachment?

i think the first one kinda lucked into not being reactionary garbage by accident

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Peanut President posted:

everything i don't like is an op

You would know, Carter.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I'm not a fan of the series but what the hell happened to the second Kingsman movie?

The first has a plot where every rich and powerful person on Earth (including Obama) is conspiring to wipe out the unwashed masses - and it ends with every rich and powerful person on Earth getting their head exploded. In the sequel the big bad gal's evil plan is to force the President (who is a generic nobody) to end the drug war, and then when he decides to let every drug user on the planet die instead he is eventually punished with... impeachment?

I've always been surprised that Kingsman hadn't had more analysis, because there's a lot to unpack there.

Our hero is transformed into a superspy, but this is done by making him into a caricature of an upper class "gentleman". But he has some credibility or advantage from being working class from the estates, which he reverts to periodically. He marries into nobility. The Kingsman are a private business but somehow aligned with the state. As said, every rich and powerful person on earth is killed - but these are presumably the people employing and paying for the Kingsman ...

And then there's the simple fact that the second film is kinda dreadful

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

it wasn’t every rich and powerful person, I thought? just a large group of them

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nonathlon posted:

I've always been surprised that Kingsman hadn't had more analysis, because there's a lot to unpack there.

Our hero is transformed into a superspy, but this is done by making him into a caricature of an upper class "gentleman". But he has some credibility or advantage from being working class from the estates, which he reverts to periodically. He marries into nobility. The Kingsman are a private business but somehow aligned with the state. As said, every rich and powerful person on earth is killed - but these are presumably the people employing and paying for the Kingsman ...

That guy standing on a mine singing a John Denver song was top cringe.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also the support character from the first movie achieves his dream of becoming a Kingsman for the big finale - and he immediately has to sacrifice himself and is gone from the movie.

The traitor (who didn't actually seem to be betraying anyone) reveals he did it for the money then instantly drops that and says he did it for his dead wife.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's kind of a mess of a movie but I'm interested in finding out if there was some kind of big reshoot.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tariq was also the shithead that posted a videothat went viral of a clerk at a hotel having a nervous breakdown

He's a shithead through and through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

nonathlon posted:

dont forget that they have to to attack the north pole with a team of like three people because the spymaster turned out to be on the bad guys side and they have no idea whether any of the other kingsmen have been compromised

when the statesmen in the second movie are initially presented as suspicious as hell of the kingsmen this is actually an incredibly logical response especially since the surviving kingsmen dont actually do anything to win their trust the statesmen just look into their emergency vault see a nineteenth century kingsmen tailor suit and go oh well these guys probably arent evil after all