Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DrakePegasus posted:

I saw a shield! Are shields viable again!? Can the ugly onus of “passivity” finally gently caress off and let us lowly swordanbords turtle in peace!?!?

Shields are back, yo. Hesitating to use them brings defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

This is the art leak that looks like it lines up with the trailer btw,

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i thought that leaked clip was fake because it looked like a bunch of recycled ds3 animations and now I feel foolish

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The sci fi hollywood music was very inappropriate. Looks like another generic souls game. Only thing that seems somewhat interesting is the mounted combat.

Getting tired of souls games. Couldnt be me!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i thought that leaked clip was fake because it looked like a bunch of recycled ds3 animations and now I feel foolish

The animations don't looks that great but I am intrigued by that big leaping attack. I wonder what the go is with mobility this time. The character movement looked way more extreme than previous games which I'm on board with.

I'm not making GBS threads on the animations the game is still ages away and can only get more polished.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

man, if there's one thing i thought looked flawless it was the animations. like are we even looking at the same game? and coming after sekiro no less, the game with the some of the best animations and hitboxes in the industry. like, that werewolf dude and the treeface boss, holy poo poo does their movement look nuanced.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

man, if there's one thing i thought looked flawless it was the animations. like are we even looking at the same game? and coming after sekiro no less, the game with the some of the best animations and hitboxes in the industry. like, that werewolf dude and the treeface boss, holy poo poo does their movement look nuanced.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is, like, I can't think of any other studio that regularly rigs wild, 15 limbed, giant human/horse/dragon hybrids like Ludwig or the guy at the end of the new Elden Ring trailer (and beginning of the first one) and somehow makes them move so fluidly, but yeah I was about to ask the same thing. Like have any of you guys played Sekiro?? The animations are incredibly elegant and memorable, Sekiro's grappling hook twirl, the okami warriors in the Fountainhead Palace and the way they sword fight in a very fluid, dance like motion, the Demon of Hatred's traditional looking poses, mixed with the odd and quick tip toeing, phase 2 of the guardian ape's weird rear end centipede movement. I mean, that's just to name a few animations that I can vividly see if I try to imagine them, because they're done so well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe a hot take but I don't like how the Demon's Souls remake looks and I think this looks much better. Not a very fair comparison since DS is a PS3 game under the hood so a newer game can go all out on the cool stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

I started loving Fromsoft because they're like a company that makes really spicy food and people that love it can't get enough and they refuse the make it less spicy for the weak folks.

Try tongue but hole

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
According to VaatiVidya's newest video, some of the attack animations from the trailer were reused assets from some of DS3's weapon arts

but, frankly, you have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of From's asset library on par with VaatiVidya to even really notice or give a crap. I see big flaming sword do a cool spinny attack motion and I clap because it looks pretty. No sense remaking the wheel, y'know? If it works, it works.
e:

hatty posted:

Maybe a hot take but I don't like how the Demon's Souls remake looks and I think this looks much better. Not a very fair comparison since DS is a PS3 game under the hood so a newer game can go all out on the cool stuff.
hotter take: original Demons Souls looks better than the remake. The remake has enough polish that it wraps around to looking slightly generic. The slight jank of the original gives it charm. (especially when rendered in 4k, thank u RPCS3)

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I hope they manage to untie framerate from animations and give us the fabled "uncapped framerate" I have heard so much about.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think about living in the brains of people who are already complaining and it makes my head shudder uncontrollably.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think about living in the brains of people who are already complaining and it makes my head shudder uncontrollably.

Hey gently caress you buddy, my cynicism is a safe happy shell that protects me from disappointment.

edit: I'm mostly just grumpy they didn't take the chance to maybe try out a different plot line for once.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 12, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Seeing some mention of Bonfire placing. I've not played Death Stranding, but I'm imagining some kind of asynchronous online to do with mapping out routes with Bonfires in otherwise impossible to traverse open world areas and getting unreasonably horny. They could possibly combine this with the procedural Chalice Dungeon type stuff for endgame play that isn't just naked Tarnish level 1, NG++++ no dodging speedruns.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy, my cynicism is a safe happy shell that protects me from disappointment.

edit: I'm mostly just grumpy they didn't take the chance to maybe try out a different plot line for once.

what's the plot line

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Are embers back baby because I am seeing some hot takes in this thread!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

crepeface posted:

what's the plot line

“The Golden Order has been broken.

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord”

Orv
May 4, 2011
Look, Blizzard was allowed to coast for like fifteen games and eight expansions on "Corruption!" From can make a few more Souls rear end Souls.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
just lol if u think the plot can be discerned without all character dialogue, art asset placement in the world and 239 item descriptions taken in their gesalt

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

If d3 proved one thing its that no one gives two shits about the diablo lore and story and would rather get on with doing more greater rifts thank you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

god getting so fed up with the kids' squabbling that he decides to pack a bag and move out

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lih posted:

GRRM's contribution was confirmed to be writing all the worldbuilding and background lore stuff, it was detailed in interviews when they announced it. https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/21/elden-ring-is-an-evolution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-a-e3-2019 It sounds like he got along well enough with Miyazaki.

yes but it sounds like it's going to be a very FromSoft take on 'open world', Miyazaki discusses this in the interview linked above. the press release says things like "vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly" and "on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title" too. i would expect more "what if Dark Souls had vast fields in it too" etc. more than anything else.

Considering we still have very little information to go on, this interview from the announcement two years ago remains a good look into some of FromSoft's basic design philosophies, and also makes GRRM's relation to the game pretty clear. Basically, he collaborated with Miyazaki to write a comprehensive "mythology" that FromSoft are using as a basis to tell their own story. GRRM will have written none of the actual text or dialogue shipping in the finished game. In fact, the game will apparently be set some time after the era GRRM wrote about. It's an interesting style of collaboration.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://imgur.com/gZiZigR

Wow nice hit box detection, and they snap into upright position when the whips ‘hits’ them, looks like typical From janky pvp. Nvm game looks like poo poo.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2021

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so that's an artefact of lag ? because the hit boxes in sekiro were pretty great.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pretty sure Imhotep was being facetious. That's largely pretty normal attack animation stuff.

After looking at all these gifs though, they should definitely add some kind of replay system that lets us make our own slow-motion gifs. Every console has already had built-in passive video recording and photo modes are everywhere now. time to bring the two together to their logical conclusion. let us direct our own videos and gifs

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Elden Ring is like if that part with all the hands in that david bowie goblin king movie had a baby with the fluid animation from the babysitter scene in the Simpsons S01E13, and then that baby dropped acid

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Pretty sure Imhotep was being facetious. That's largely pretty normal attack animation stuff.

After looking at all these gifs though, they should definitely add some kind of replay system that lets us make our own slow-motion gifs. Every console has already had built-in passive video recording and photo modes are everywhere now. time to bring the two together to their logical conclusion. let us direct our own videos and gifs

Yeah I was, even before seeing the new trailer, this was my most looked forward to game, and now it’s somehow even more exciting. But yeah, I would also like that but as a dork who spent way too much time in Demon’s Souls’ picture mode I also think I’d spend way too much time in it. I was actually just thinking how that would be so much better than the dumb hint system that lets you leave a 15 second ‘memory’ or ghost recording thing, and how much more useful having a gif making mode would be, instead of a picture mode. Because I was trying to find a nice slow mo gif of Sekiro’s grappling animation, because I don’t know if ive seen one but it’s just a really elegant twirling motion and it owns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I found the characters (assume NPCs) a bit wooden is all. The combat looks sick that's why I'm wondering about those big jumps!

hatty posted:

Man it's so beautiful. When you reach the castle and those two guys are standing on the dead dragon just loving around it was a massive holy poo poo moment for me

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

JBP posted:

Man it's so beautiful. When you reach the castle and those two guys are standing on the dead dragon just loving around it was a massive holy poo poo moment for me

The environments are gorgeous in the Demon Souls remake but I totally get what they were saying and agree about the way some of the enemies look far more like generic videogame stuff. The world 2 buff lizardmen as opposed to kinda spindly with potbellies for example. Some of this is just the way we filled in details on lower res models with our imaginations and memories though, like I didn't remember the black knights looking goofy until I saw a comparison of the original model to the remake.

It's pretty silly seeing people already saying "this game is just another dark souls retread" considering bloodborne very quickly went places you wouldn't expect from the trailer. Not to mention From has spent, what 25 years making games that leave clear finger prints on future work but still wind up distinct?
Complaints about Elden Ring just being another Dark Souls at this point could wind up being like complaints that Demon's Souls was just a 3rd person King's Field based on early promos.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the demon's souls remake certainly looks higher fidelity etc. than elden ring but the art direction is off. it's not outright bad or anything, just goes in a direction that really doesn't capture the feel of the original at times.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Dark Souls remake looks like what you'd expect from a team that lacked the vision of the original developers. It's incredibly well made, but it also gets a lot of subtle stuff wrong and loses a bit of the otherworldly, ethereal beauty present in the original.

I'm incredibly hyped for Elden Ring, and even I recognized right away how it looked like a last-gen title... because it is. But it looks like a real loving beautiful one. This is basically a DS2 situation where they're releasing it in the transition period between generations. Seeing how far they're pushing the visuals despite being based on last-gen tech, it only makes me even more excited for the future of the studio. In the meantime, Elden Ring still looks amazing. FromSoft's world and enemy designers are without parallel.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 12, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like this convo, it's so healthy and enlightening. Please continue.

E: I'm so excited for this particularly after Sekiro. I think it's going to be a mechanic nightmare in the best way.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 12, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
How are people complaining about the visuals of this game AND nu demons souls?

If you all don’t pipe down I’m calling Miyazaki and telling him we’re delaying it and doing it Wind Walker style.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Can't wait for the Stadia and mobile versions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The Dark Souls remake looks like what you'd expect from a team that lacked the vision of the original developers. It's incredibly well made, but it also gets a lot of subtle stuff wrong and loses a bit of the otherworldly, ethereal beauty present in the original.

I'm incredibly hyped for Elden Ring, and even I recognized right away how it looked like a last-gen title... because it is. But it looks like a real loving beautiful one. This is basically a DS2 situation where they're releasing it in the transition period between generations. Seeing how far they're pushing the visuals despite being based on last-gen tech, it only makes me even more excited for the future of the studio. In the meantime, Elden Ring still looks amazing. FromSoft's world and enemy designers are without parallel.

I'm at odds with the fact that I mostly appreciate the sentiment of your post, and and that you didn't even get the name of the game you are being passionate about right lol.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Blaziken386 posted:

According to VaatiVidya's newest video, some of the attack animations from the trailer were reused assets from some of DS3's weapon arts

but, frankly, you have to have an encyclopedic knowledge of From's asset library on par with VaatiVidya to even really notice or give a crap. I see big flaming sword do a cool spinny attack motion and I clap because it looks pretty. No sense remaking the wheel, y'know? If it works, it works.
e:

I noticed the bit where a pc slashes and spin dodges away is from DS3 but its literally because I was messing around in DS3 because I was pumped for new Souls and did a kick with the dual swords you can start with and said "wait hang on". Doesn't bother me either tbh, asset reuse is smart and frees up time for newer flashier animations to get made.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I sure hope this game is better than this thread ho ho ho!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Very much looking forward to elden ring 2: the search for more fidelity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Elden Ring is the Dark Souls of open world games