Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/everysimpsons/status/803010070875357185

25th anniversary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Can't one of the Paul brothers just give the people what they want and fight Joshua or Wilder? Hell even Shannon Briggs

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Why downgrade from the greatest boxer ever??

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Wasn't there some sort of deadline to agree Joshua v Usyk or vacate by now?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

madey posted:

Wasn't there some sort of deadline to agree Joshua v Usyk or vacate by now?

They've got a 2 week extension

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't believe Logan Paul has more booking pull than Big Show and refused to job clean.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The Fury/Wilder 3 fight's undercard is apparently going to have the Robert Helenius vs Adam Kownacki rematch, as well as Efe Ajagba vs Frank Sanchez; two undefeated top 5 heavyweight prospects. That's a really good card. I'm actually quite surprised that Ajagba and Sanchez would be fighting at this point in their careers.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The Fury/Wilder 3 fight's undercard is apparently going to have the Robert Helenius vs Adam Kownacki rematch, as well as Efe Ajagba vs Frank Sanchez; two undefeated top 5 heavyweight prospects. That's a really good card. I'm actually quite surprised that Ajagba and Sanchez would be fighting at this point in their careers.

Wow, thats awesome. Now this is making me want to go see Wilder Fury 3 in vegas. I think I'm gonna wait for Pac Spence in Aug tho

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so I'm watching katsuo tokashiki and hwan jin kim from 1981 and I hopped onto wikipedia to try and get some context (the broadcast is in korean) and I hit this block of text, which I'm wondering if anyone has any more information about (spoiled because it reveals the result of this fight, in case you want to watch it as well):

quote:

Tokashiki won the world title with by unanimous decision, but a scandal involving the Kyoei gym's management was revealed the same day, and Tokashiki's victory was marred by controversy, since he and the previous champion, Gushiken, both trained with the gym.

everything google is giving me is about the gym closing in 2019, and the wikipedia article about gushiken doesn't mention this at all

e:

holy gently caress

a webpage talking about the magazine weekly bunshun posted:

Various kinds of gossip have been there. One of the popular articles in their career must be a scandal about Gushiken Yoko they reported in 1982. By the way, he retired in 1981.

“Weekly Bunshun” reported Gushiken Yoko had held the title of WBA Light Flyweight champion 1976-1981 because the then president of Kyoei Gym Gushiken had belonged to administered some cathartics to his opposites. The president denied. But it became clear that he was guilty by research of Japan Boxing Commission.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 9, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hexwren posted:

so I'm watching katsuo tokashiki and hwan jin kim from 1981 and I hopped onto wikipedia to try and get some context (the broadcast is in korean) and I hit this block of text, which I'm wondering if anyone has any more information about (spoiled because it reveals the result of this fight, in case you want to watch it as well):

everything google is giving me is about the gym closing in 2019, and the wikipedia article about gushiken doesn't mention this at all

e:

holy gently caress

had to look up “cathartic” which then led me to look up “purgative” but holy moley

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Plus Jared "Big Baby" Anderson but opponent is still TBA

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Fury-Wilder card is looking stacked! Hopefully Fury stays motivated. I know Wilder is. Bricktop Frank Warren is delivering for fans of heavyweight boxing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1403124547897880576?s=19

Lamar Odom facing off with Aaron Carter officiated by Chuck Liddell and Rob Van Dam is so up my alley it's scary

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
aaron carter? the brother of one of the backstreet boys? sure why not.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The SituAsian posted:

Lamar Odom facing off with Aaron Carter officiated by Chuck Liddell and Rob Van Dam is so up my alley it's scary

This feels so greasy I love it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Just watched Claressa Shields make her MMA debut. Wow, she really has some troubles with grappling, was making all kinds of mistakes and despite that she won anyway basically through sheer will and athleticism. She has a long way to go in MMA, but I feel like there's some potential there even though I DKSAMMA

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
drat, that fight already happened? Did Elkin get her onto the cage at any point?

Edit: She beat a BJJ black belt with ground and pound? Idks but I'd suspect she was hurt or exhausted or both.

Edit2: survived being mounted twice, including an arm bar defense, surprisingly good.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 11, 2021

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The SituAsian posted:

This is the most amazing thing

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

aaron carter? the brother of one of the backstreet boys? sure why not.

He was a somewhat successful teenie bopper wasn't he?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Mekchu posted:

He was a somewhat successful teenie bopper wasn't he?

Yeah his brother was in backstreet boys, and Aaron was a solo artist. He's obviously mentally disturbed. Who's putting this contest on? Their rehab facility?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Explains why Chuck is there.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Explains why Chuck is there.

Chuck does all the coke so they can't have any. Very effective rehab.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Mismatchsports/status/1403553042839097354

https://twitter.com/TheEliteMedia_/status/1403554260873326596

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My journey through every fight in James Toney's career has reached a really strange tone; he looked very very good right up until his RJJ fight but he seemed like a totally different person there and, while he's improved afterwards, he's hasn't regained all of that lost excellence yet. He's currently several fights later and picking up some lackluster light heavy weight titles but I don't know when his next truly big fight will be or if he'll win it; I keep scaning his his remaining record and nothing jumps out at me as "and this is where Toney proved that actually he was a generational talent".

How is Toney regarded in the grand scheme of things, really?

Oh also, I have so much sympathy for Toney struggling to both make a certain weight but also wanting to eat everything, but lol I'm not trying to be a world fighter. Still, part of me can't wait for him to give up and become a heavyweight and just eat eat eat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Only thing I know about James Toney is he got a nice payday to get taken down and bopped a few times by Randy Couture at the end of his career.

Ray Mercer also crossed over to fight a former UFC champ. They were originally supposed to box, but the AC wouldn’t sanction the bout under boxing rules. It would do it as an MMA fight, though. Tim and Ray had gentleman’s agreement that they would only box. Immediately out the gate, Sylvia throws a leg kick, disappointing Mr. Mercer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Only thing I know about James Toney is he got a nice payday to get taken down and bopped a few times by Randy Couture at the end of his career.

Ray Mercer also crossed over to fight a former UFC champ. They were originally supposed to box, but the AC wouldn’t sanction the bout under boxing rules. It would do it as an MMA fight, though. Tim and Ray had gentleman’s agreement that they would only box. Immediately out the gate, Sylvia throws a leg kick, disappointing Mr. Mercer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo

I like mercer's little pause of "did he just? ok gently caress this"

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Jack B Nimble posted:

He was for a time an elite heavyweight despite being a relatively tiny 5'10", and had an interesting style of fighting. Going from middleweight up to heavyweight may have suited his lifestyle but it's also impressive in its own right. I suppose the catch is that RJJ did everything he did, but generally better.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

My journey through every fight in James Toney's career has reached a really strange tone; he looked very very good right up until his RJJ fight but he seemed like a totally different person there and, while he's improved afterwards, he's hasn't regained all of that lost excellence yet. He's currently several fights later and picking up some lackluster light heavy weight titles but I don't know when his next truly big fight will be or if he'll win it; I keep scaning his his remaining record and nothing jumps out at me as "and this is where Toney proved that actually he was a generational talent".

Oh also, I have so much sympathy for Toney struggling to both make a certain weight but also wanting to eat everything, but lol I'm not trying to be a world fighter. Still, part of me can't wait for him to give up and become a heavyweight and just eat eat eat.

Toney was in the wilderness post-RJJ. He took several losses at 175, including showing up way overweight and losing to the unheralded Drake Thadzi. Toney never won a major title at 175, and never really got his career back on track until he moved up to cruiserweight and had his fight of the year with Vassily Jirov. From there he went on a nice run at heavyweight; knocking out Evander Holyfield and beating John Ruiz for a world title (later changed to NC based on a positive steroids test on Toney). He wouldn't lose again until a disputed SD loss to Sam Peter. His heavyweight run was a testament to his skill and natural aptitude for fighting, as Toney was only 5'9 with an average reach.

Toney is both regarded as a future Hall of Famer and all time great, due to his winning world titles at 160, 168, 190, and heavyweight, as well as viewed as a bit of a wasted talent due to his distaste for road work and keeping his weight down during fights. I view him as a bit of a bizarro-Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins was the gym rat who got to where he was through outworking everyone, whereas Toney's legacy is based entirely on pure talent. Hopkins is rated a bit higher on the "all time greats" list, but I would say they were pretty even in terms of ability. That is also one of the all time mythical matchups that unfortunately never happened.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 12, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks everyone, that gives me a lot more context to chew on as I keep working through his record. Hopkins sounds like a good next candidate for this sort of review, but actually I've only done this with Manny Pacquiao, most of RJJ, and now Toney (lmao I had no idea how many fights he had).

Who else is a good candidate for this? Preferably someone where there's YouTube videos of their earlier fights, I really like watching them come up in the world. Doesn't have to be literally evey fight, but as long as they're a popular champion from the 90s or later I can probably find at least some early stuff.

Edit: Oh I have a criteria I totally failed to mention, I love listening to old HBO broadcasts with Jim Lampley, Harold Letterman, Ray Leonard and George Foreman and Emanuel Steward, etc.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 12, 2021

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks everyone, that gives me a lot more context to chew on as I keep working through his record. Hopkins sounds like a good next candidate for this sort of review, but actually I've only done this with Manny Pacquiao, most of RJJ, and now Toney (lmao I had no idea how many fights he had).

Who else is a good candidate for this? Preferably someone where there's YouTube videos of their earlier fights, I really like watching them come up in the world. Doesn't have to be literally evey fight, but as long as they're a popular champion from the 90s or later I can probably find at least some early stuff.

Edit: Oh I have a criteria I totally failed to mention, I love listening to old HBO broadcasts with Jim Lampley, Harold Letterman, Ray Leonard and George Foreman and Emanuel Steward, etc.

Hopkins is great. I'd also recommend Oscar de la Hoya and Shane Mosley.

Guys like Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera would also be cool, but it might be tough to track down their earlier fights that occurred in Mexico.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hopkins and Mosley would be perfect. I am extremely biased towards them though. Mosley also has been training Jake Paul if you want a tie-in to today’s boxing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a soft spot for aging fighters struggling to stay competitive, so I think Hopkins will be next.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Tommy Morrison's boxing career is an interesting saga. And what a left hook.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Domestic level Brits dropping like flies. Could the Cheese Man be next?

https://twitter.com/SkySportsBoxing/status/1403840361001332744?s=19

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“should the fight have continued after Ritson's corner had thrown the towel in?”
lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Lmao and I just heard a commentator in an old fight say "when the towel comes in that's it, except in England, there the ref just kicks it out of the ring".

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Even though he was super conservative I thought Shakur looked very good last night. So elusive

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Arturo Gatti

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

seconding gatti, also recommending larry holmes and ken norton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In terms of recentish boxers who are now inactive I feel like Zab Judah had a pretty interesting career