Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Last summer I went to the sierras a bit lower Toe, I met my friend in Tracy and we took 2 lane back roads all the way to placerville and back in a day and it was a pretty great ride even with things being closed. Not sure if it was just covid summer but the roads there were all super open, especially compared to Santa Cruz mountains at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Route 87 in Arizona right now is closed due to a land slide in 2019 and there is a 9 mile stretch of mountain road that has no use apart to drive up and down for fun. I try to get there early on Sundays before all the bikers get there and cruise slowly up and down so they don’t hurt their arthritic knees.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

I don't know how eager they would be to "add" a child restraint tether point.

Zero. It's not happening. And if it does you don't want to deal with a shop that is stupid enough to take on a few hundred dollar job that exposes them to a few million in liability.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'm the one of the best areas for driving but my commute is 15 minutes through the center of town or 20 minutes around the town but you never get over 45 and there's always traffic. My wife's commute is ~150mi roundtrip with the first half while it's still dark so she doesn't bother taking it either.

I think we've put 500 miles on it in 2 years so far :negative:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Motronic posted:

Zero. It's not happening. And if it does you don't want to deal with a shop that is stupid enough to take on a few hundred dollar job that exposes them to a few million in liability.

If the dealer isn't willing and able I'm not going to pursue it further. Maybe they'll unearth some hidden gems though!

If they don't, I don't know, maybe I'll just flip it.

Jymmybob posted:

I'm the one of the best areas for driving but my commute is 15 minutes through the center of town or 20 minutes around the town but you never get over 45 and there's always traffic. My wife's commute is ~150mi roundtrip with the first half while it's still dark so she doesn't bother taking it either.

I think we've put 500 miles on it in 2 years so far :negative:

Do you miss the roads around here? I don't really like driving the 996 on the highway or around town at all, but on the back roads here where I live, it's pretty sublime.

I'm also not quite sure I'm fitting in with, you know, you all and general porsche owners. I'm a little anxious about my first dealer experience, but for different reasons.

Are there any decent OEM-ish spoilers I can add? I promised my kid a car with a spoiler and he was unimpressed by the stock one. He wants a bigger one.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

If the dealer isn't willing and able I'm not going to pursue it further. Maybe they'll unearth some hidden gems though!

If they don't, I don't know, maybe I'll just flip it.

Do you miss the roads around here? I don't really like driving the 996 on the highway or around town at all, but on the back roads here where I live, it's pretty sublime.

I'm also not quite sure I'm fitting in with, you know, you all and general porsche owners. I'm a little anxious about my first dealer experience, but for different reasons.

Are there any decent OEM-ish spoilers I can add? I promised my kid a car with a spoiler and he was unimpressed by the stock one. He wants a bigger one.

I do a little because they're tons of road per person and the general flatness was low stress. Around here there's like 1 way to get anywhere unless you want to double travel time and a relatively large amount of the time you're going to be stuck behind a tourist/florida creature so it takes a lot of the excitement out of back roads. Also it's not a fun car to start on steep hills because of vague clutch and upsized turbos so I don't drive it everywhere which becomes a vicious cycle of not bothering to take it out. If I can get some stuff worked out I'm going to downsize from the K24s into a more modern faster spooling setup and tune.

Also as far as fitting in, the last time I took the car out since fall was to get groceries to test a new battery and because my daughter wanted to be dropped off in the 'zoom' car on her last day of school for the year to show off.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 11, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

I do a little because they're tons of road per person and the general flatness was low stress. Around here there's like 1 way to get anywhere unless you want to double travel time and a relatively large amount of the time you're going to be stuck behind a tourist/florida creature so it takes a lot of the excitement out of back roads. Also it's not a fun car to start on steep hills because of vague clutch and upsized turbos so I don't drive it everywhere which becomes a vicious cycle of not bothering to take it out. If I can get some stuff worked out I'm going to downsize from the K24s into a more modern faster spooling setup and tune.

Also as far as fitting in, the last time I took the car out since fall was to get groceries to test a new battery and because my daughter wanted to be dropped off in the 'zoom' car on her last day of school for the year to show off.

Yea I wouldn't want to own one in a city I don't think. So far I'm still learning the car and driving very cautiously as my only other rwd car was a 95 miata. I was way more confident in my S4 so I haven't gotten to that level yet. I can only imagine how much more difficult it is with turbos. Now that I think about it, the clutch is more vague than I remember in a modded 986s I drove and loved a decade ago. Maybe it had a different clutch too along with the suspension/exhaust. Sometimes I nail a downshift and it has the feels though. I'm doing ok with it so far, probably riding the clutch a little more than I need to.

When I first stopped in traffic in the mid day summer heat today and flicked on the AC, I did have a brief moment of panic that it was going to die on me and leave me stranded in the middle of 6 lanes. Turns out you notice the AC coming on a little bit more in a 996 than a D4 A8L, whoda thunkit. Also taking it through the touchless carwash during the dry cycle was ... illuminating.

Jymmybob posted:

This is why I need those tethers. Very cool.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

fknlo posted:

There’s ALWAYS someone doing 25 mph tops on anything remotely curvy. And that’s before the police get involved.

Sure, 10 AM on a Saturday sucks. But off peak hours, you can do pretty well. And law enforcement varies a lot by town and county.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheBacon posted:

Last summer I went to the sierras a bit lower Toe, I met my friend in Tracy and we took 2 lane back roads all the way to placerville and back in a day and it was a pretty great ride even with things being closed. Not sure if it was just covid summer but the roads there were all super open, especially compared to Santa Cruz mountains at the same time.

Yeah good idea. We're really spoiled for roads around here, but I'm still jealous of those absolutely epic mountain views. Mount Hamilton is look a little pathetic in comparison. I also just really love those narrow, bumpy roads, so that picture stirs my soul.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Sure, 10 AM on a Saturday sucks. But off peak hours, you can do pretty well. And law enforcement varies a lot by town and county.

I work weekends. 11 am on a Tuesday still gets me this every time I go for a mountain drive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

Nothing that looks good IMHO. You can get an Aero (or replica of one) but I've always disliked the aero kit and spoiler, but ymmv.

If it helps, I think there is a way to keep the spoiler deployed but I've never looked into it. You can of course force it up with that little switch in the footwell but it will lower automatically. It might be ghetto though, like deploying it and pulling a fuse or something.

Sounds like you should have stretched your budget and got a Canada spec TT! Those are difficult to find, even here. The vast majority of 996s, especially anything remotely special like a TT, are imported US cars.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Nothing that looks good IMHO. You can get an Aero (or replica of one) but I've always disliked the aero kit and spoiler, but ymmv.

If it helps, I think there is a way to keep the spoiler deployed but I've never looked into it. You can of course force it up with that little switch in the footwell but it will lower automatically. It might be ghetto though, like deploying it and pulling a fuse or something.

Sounds like you should have stretched your budget and got a Canada spec TT! Those are difficult to find, even here. The vast majority of 996s, especially anything remotely special like a TT, are imported US cars.

I did stretch my budget though, lol. He's going to have to deal with the stock one, looks like!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Route 87 in Arizona right now is closed due to a land slide in 2019 and there is a 9 mile stretch of mountain road that has no use apart to drive up and down for fun. I try to get there early on Sundays before all the bikers get there and cruise slowly up and down so they don’t hurt their arthritic knees.

More details on this? Is this up closer to PHX?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

87 up to Payson is kinda fun
Payson to Pine is in the trees
Strawberry to Camp Verde is super cool, very rarely any traffic
Camp Verde to Jerome is just transit
Jerome to Prescott is great
White Spars just outside of Prescott are great
Yarnell hill is fun, but there are always police

I used to ride this route every week.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 11, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

More details on this? Is this up closer to PHX?

Out by Apache Junction. Search for Tortilla Flat in maps and it will get you to where the part I am talking about starts. Before then expect there to be lots of RVs and Boats moving that way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And the road is coming apart pre-flat. People are insane up there with blind DY crossing and poo poo too.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Success! There are factory anchors back there, under the carpet. I might see about just removing the back carpet panel/deck temporarily to uncover them until I get into my hack job.

:getin:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

And the road is coming apart pre-flat. People are insane up there with blind DY crossing and poo poo too.

I was going up there a few weeks ago and someone was spilling gas all over the road from an open can in trailer they were towing a boat with. Good stuff.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

I was going up there a few weeks ago and someone was spilling gas all over the road from an open can in trailer they were towing a boat with. Good stuff.

Just arizona trashbag things.

Thanks for all the info yall, it's a little too far north, but maybe I'll make it up there eventually. Also are you ready for the loving heatwave this coming week? Give your AC unit a pat on the back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I replaced my rooftop unit (I have one of the 3 story condos just north of sky harbor) in October to the tune of $13k, so I've already been enjoying my lower AC bills so far this year even though I've been keeping the house at 73 versus 78. Glorious.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Already turned the heat down in the hot tub and been putting in gallon jugs full of frozen water to get it down to 85. Once the solar is installed then the AC will be super glued go 72 :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

turned the heat down in the hot tub and been putting in gallon jugs full of frozen water to get it down to 85

That, right there, is living the dream. :lol:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Drove a black 2000 Boxster S yesterday with 90k miles. It was nice but felt a little sloppy, had a bunch of work done at 75k but that was in 2013, it has not been driven much since. All the records and they wanted $12,000 for it. I passed because of the feel, but if it is still there when I get back from Las Vegas Tuesday I might offer $11,000 cash. Or, I could keep looking. Looking is fun.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

What felt sloppy? I know the cables for the gearbox are a common issue as they get older.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The transmission did. Also there were little things like, 'Oh that lever fell off? It's right here' and similar that just gave me a strange vibe. It's way under budget, so that helps if something did go wrong, but I want to find one that doesn't give me that nagging feeling.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah if it feels bad then pass, I test drove a couple of 986 from dealers where things were missing or broken in the interior and they just shrugged and said it was an old car. If that is your attitude then I only assume all your stock is the same level of quality.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

You were bang on

gotta say it did feel pretty weird to take a utility knife to my car, but I think it was worth it in the end

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Is that hook actually required?

I mean, many cars don't have them at all seating locations, even now.

I say that as someone who has two cars with ten car seats combined in those two cars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Owns willroc!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

gvibes posted:

Is that hook actually required?

I mean, many cars don't have them at all seating locations, even now.

I say that as someone who has two cars with ten car seats combined in those two cars.

I think so, at least in the US. The master tech mentioned something about them being the law. Google says,

“All new cars, minivans, and light trucks are required to have tether anchors as of September 2000. Forward-facing seats come with tether straps. A tether should always be used as long as your child has not reached the top weight limit for the tether anchor.”

Edit: I don’t think they are mandatory for rear facing, however. They are still beneficial though

The tech also said he’d been there since 89 and he’d never seen anyone use the rear anchors, lol. I asked had everyone gotten panameras? He grumbled, “No, cayennes.”

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 12, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe you should start an exploratory cutting mission on your 2 cars, just sayin’.

Lol, lmao

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I present a classic 911 murder scene https://youtu.be/Vg5FvCtteiw

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Success! There are factory anchors back there, under the carpet. I might see about just removing the back carpet panel/deck temporarily to uncover them until I get into my hack job.
I'm happy for you. :)

willroc7 posted:

You were bang on

Something I did right I guess :downs:

It totally makes sense that your car had it, it would be been a pretty surprising difference between :canada: and :911: models - but I'm really curious as to why the Canada spec had the cut out and owners manual notation. Must have been some sort of regulation for the Canadian market around that time which necessitated it even though most of our requirements are harmonized.

The PET does show them on the structure so that's not a surprise. Sorry I didn't check earlier.

Maybe keep your eyes open for a new (used) interior piece for when you eventually sell it?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 12, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I'm happy for you. :)

Maybe keep your eyes open for a new (used) interior piece for when you eventually sell it?

Yea that’s a good idea. I don’t even want to look at how much a new one costs. I made that mistake with some other parts and uh, yeah, the Porsche tax is real.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Looks like a new one is a meager $410 US.. although I still get impressed by the possibility of buying obscure interior parts like this brand new.
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-carpet-99655103101a10

e: Whoops, that was an 00-01, although it should fit and have the cutouts. Here's the -99 part
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-rear-wall-lining-bla-99655103100a10?c=bD0yJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 12, 2021

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jesus wept.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That isn’t bad tbh. Some of the prices for new interior parts on the Grand Prix are eye watering, $1200 for front seat covers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, it's really not *that* bad. You might be able to get one from a wrecker or a part out for $50-$100.

Luckily it's not really a part that's going to get any wear so as long as it's the right color it should be in decent shape (as long as it doesn't have biohazard on it or something).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm thinking of tackling this one of these days. I have timing chain rattle on startup (which immediately goes away) but it still, has always bothered me.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...rain_Repair.htm

I'm debating when to do this and if I should tackle this with the engine installed or not. I'm sure it would be easier removed, but my quickjacks are just a little too low to remove the engine, although I'm thinking I *might* me able to drop it and remove the intakes from the motor when it's under the car which would make it easier to pull out.

e: The more I am reading on it, and refreshing my memory many are saying they all do it to varying degrees on cold (2+ day) starts and to not worry about it. The pad wear does make sense but I don't have super high mileage (120K/75k miles)

Willroc - does yours make any noise on cold start after a day or two?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

I'm thinking of tackling this one of these days. I have timing chain rattle on startup (which immediately goes away) but it still, has always bothered me.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...rain_Repair.htm

I'm debating when to do this and if I should tackle this with the engine installed or not. I'm sure it would be easier removed, but my quickjacks are just a little too low to remove the engine, although I'm thinking I *might* me able to drop it and remove the intakes from the motor when it's under the car which would make it easier to pull out.

e: The more I am reading on it, and refreshing my memory many are saying they all do it to varying degrees on cold (2+ day) starts and to not worry about it. The pad wear does make sense but I don't have super high mileage (120K/75k miles)

Willroc - does yours make any noise on cold start after a day or two?

I don't think so but I can take a video or listen more carefully next time. I wouldn't worry too much about it myself, if i were you. Warm rattle is when the concerns begin with the cars i've owned.