Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maxime was supposed to stop by my town this afternoon at this small park that has only single baseball diamond and no surrounding business. There would be no traffic for this area to even make a scene.

Saw the RCMP hanging out at other parks on my running route even though there were no protestors anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fried Watermelon posted:

Maxime was supposed to stop by my town this afternoon at this small park that has only single baseball diamond and no surrounding business. There would be no traffic for this area to even make a scene.

Saw the RCMP hanging out at other parks on my running route even though there were no protestors anywhere.

https://twitter.com/lehan/status/1403436761238417418

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The optics of waiting 15 months to arrest someone at a Covid rally, would have been better if it wasn't an annoying politician in front of 8 people. Kudos for the RCMP for eventually doing their job.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

I only know three things of the people of Winkler:

1) They hate that Morden exists.
2) They brag about being a dry city while scurrying over to Morden for liquor.
3) They hate vaccines.

No idea if the first two are true anymore, but the third seems to be spot on.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

jettisonedstuff posted:

when did cherry praise unions (besides cops/firefighters)?

IIRC he did it fairly regularly, not even just specific ones like the teamsters but the concept as a whole

It's one of the only good things about him, that and his fashion "sense"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Randalor posted:

3) They hate vaccines.

4) It's Hatfields and McCoys, but it's Fundies from PVBC and the Mennonites.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Slotducks posted:

Just a friendly reminder that andrew scheer only beat maxime bernier by 644.4 pts (whatever that means it was 50.95%| 49.05%) in 2017 conservative leadership race
that was before bernier reinvented himself as an alt right person. his thing in the leadership race was getting rid of dairy tariffs or something. he's an opportunist imo not a committed ideologue. (an opportunist can be just as dangerous though, make no mistake)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

are you sure you're not thinking of harper there? or maybe that's just a common origin story for conservatives

Conservatives come in two flavours: haunted dolls cursed with life who enact their rage upon the rest of us, and 20 year olds who look like they are 50 since their hatred causes their cells to decay at a rapid pace.

Occasionally you have the people who were kinda progressive hippies in the 70s, but they haven't changed their views or grown as a person in any capacity since. Those never get leadership roles.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Randalor posted:

3) They hate vaccines.

They've got a liquor store now and from the community newspaper it seems like more hatred is towards the Cannabis stores now

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

3) They hate vaccines.

Winkler's just jealous that Morden has a better venue for a cyclocross race. Winkler's lump of dirt in the park was much worse, but the built in flyover was awesome.

RIP Southern Cross, at least I won't have to run through that nasty rear end sand pit anymore and now don't ever have to go back to Winkler.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
is winkler still trying to make their own fibre isp?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

this is embarrassing, it’s embarrassing that Manitoba is owned and run by these people

https://twitter.com/jamihilland/status/1403019773324103684?s=21

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Abloo bloo nothing must get in the way of my Audi. - a River Heights dickhead.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

bad urban planning makes people stupid

https://youtu.be/vMed1qceJ_Q

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We're talking about one of the roads that follows the river and there's a shitload of rich people houses on the road so in this case it's less bad urban planning making people stupid more too much money making people assholes.

When we start boarding up the rich in their own houses and setting them ablaze that street is going to be the first one we do it on.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Hey man, I'm a radical, but that's going too far.

You gotta tell them to get out of it so you can turn it into public housing or a library or whatever, and then if they refuse, then you burn it down with them in it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nah dude none of those buildings are sustainable anyways and the ones on the river side of the street need to be turned back into a proper riparian zone and pubic park.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
yeah the trend for very upper-middle money is to buy garbage houses that are done up nice, live in them for 15 yeas and then sell them for their naturally inflated price before their shoddy construction starts to be apparent.

no point repurposing them, we just need the land back.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The biggest crime of Wellington is them tearing down the beautiful gilded age* era houses (hell, even the ones built in the 90s still have better bones than what they're throwing up now) and replacing them with identical boxy garbage by Lloyd Secter

*I'm apparently thinking roaring 20s, basically anything preceding those enormous bungalow ramblers which I am more indifferent to

One of the worst things the city did was allow private ownership/development of the riverfront

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Jun 12, 2021

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Just an update for Hot Spot Ontario goons: I got my first vaccine last month (after the 9th), and they've just emailed me to reschedule for the 28th of June, rather than early September. I guess because of the States exporting Moderna I was able to get my second way faster. Basically, there's a low chance you'll be waiting until August to rebook.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Welp,

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That group is just begging for really loud and obnoxious music over portable speakers

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

and what to keep it that way

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i want to see the group

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Members (1)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nah there's two and it's a unicorn hunter couple

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

if i had way more time on my hands i feel like a worthwhile project would be to compile a list of business owners and people that are openly flaunting rules and spreading misinformation because they are all out in the open on social media apparently

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I did that on my local subreddit. People seemed to appreciate it

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I remember Diana's pizza in Winnipeg had a 19% off sale as a little "humor" when people were dying in Winnipeg hospitals. gently caress her and her delicious pizza.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
104 ‘potential graves’ detected at site of former residential school in Manitoba

quote:

The Sioux Valley Dakota Nation in Manitoba is working to find students buried at Brandon Indian Residential School, which was in operation from 1895 to 1972.

Simon Fraser University and University of Windsor researchers, along with the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation, hope to identify an unknown number of children to restore their identities – either through commemoration or repatriation.

“The families and communities whose children were lost while attending these schools have questions that deserve answers,” said Sioux Valley Chief Jennifer Bone in a video statement June 1.

“The children buried at these sites must have their identities restored, and their stories told. They will never be forgotten, every child matters.”

Investigations into the cemeteries and unmarked graves at the school began in 2012. A number of potential graves have so far been identified.

“Two cemeteries, one is located at the Turtle Crossing campground and the other is land owned by the Brandon research centre. We have also identified a possible third burial ground on a portion of the school property that we currently own,” Bone said.

“While employing archeological survey techniques, geophysical technologies, survival recounts and archival documents, our investigation has identified 104 potential graves in all three cemeteries, and that only 78 are accountable through cemetery and burial records.”

There is no set timeline for when their work may be completed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"We detected them by finding the historical plaque on the old school grounds marked 'Mass Grave'".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why did no one ask why a school had so many deaths that it needed a cemetary, let alone several?

Okay I know why but it's still flabbergasting

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Why did no one ask why a school had so many deaths that it needed a cemetary, let alone several?

catholics love genocide almost as much as they love raping children

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have the feeling that we are going to be finding a lot of mass graves soon

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BattleMaster posted:

Because they already knew. One in four children sent to a residential school died there before they could be sent back home to die elsewhere

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Canada's policy was to "beat the savage" out of Native kids, and if they died, oh well. Must've just been an extra bad kid, nothing of value lost.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Because they already knew. One in four children sent to a residential school died there before they could be sent back home to die elsewhere

gently caress I knew the numbers were bad, didnt know they were that bad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I love this. Let's just cancel nationalism altogether. Seriously. You can't have wars without nationalism.

lol yeah you can

modern wars are nationalist af but a ton of wars throughout history were aristocrats fighting over land with no need for nationalism at all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

ireland just released a 3000-page report on their system of catholic homes for unwed mothers where they also had mass graves and sometimes buried dead children in sewage tanks because nobody cared about burying unbaptized children of unmarried women with any kind of dignity

it turns out that historically the catholic church has really loved creating murderous "schools" or "homes" for pretty much anybody who wasn't a perfect catholic, and what do you know it turns out coincidentally many of them have horrific mass graves right outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

vyelkin posted:

lol yeah you can

modern wars are nationalist af but a ton of wars throughout history were aristocrats fighting over land with no need for nationalism at all

Sorry I was confining my statement to the last 150-200 years experience, ie the period of the modern nation state