Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

as an aside its funny people act like ddlc is a sick dunk on pervy anime dating sim fans when, no, people who like anime dating sims mostly like it, lol, like its extremely popular for a reason and gets tons of fanart and stuff. those people like it. its a vn with a cool twist and cute girls in it. what you liked was a visual novel with a cool twist and cute girls in it. if you liked ddlc you liked a visual novel that is like a thousand other visual novels. nobody got owned.

Honestly it seemed like more of a love letter to dating sim/romance VNs, there was no like..brutal takedown of them as a subgenre or anything like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the creator said he was annoyed with the dime a dozen cute girl dating sims that were starting to pop up on steam, but he also mentioned being a huge fan of tsukihime, so

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shut up about DDLC because MARIO X RABBIDS 2!!!!!

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mario-plus-rabbids-sparks-of-hope-switch/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Good puzzle game. Waiting for $5 sale 2 months after release because ubi

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Endorph posted:

as an aside its funny people act like ddlc is a sick dunk on pervy anime dating sim fans when, no, people who like anime dating sims mostly like it, lol, like its extremely popular for a reason and gets tons of fanart and stuff. those people like it. its a vn with a cool twist and cute girls in it. what you liked was a visual novel with a cool twist and cute girls in it. if you liked ddlc you liked a visual novel that is like a thousand other visual novels. nobody got owned.

High school girls, it’s gross

I’m glad Mario rabbids 2 is happening

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

High school girls, it’s gross
don't you want to gently caress the mayor from zootopia?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its a fail twist. extremely boring and stupid twist perfectly in line with the increasingly trite "looks normal but its actually Freaking Twisted" concept thats beyond played out. consigned to the trash can of history.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[reading epic animal crossing lp where tom nook murders everyone] wow... this is heavy sh*t... this is freaking insane are u guys seeing this??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The good thing about mayors is they’re usually adults lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
drat, Mario rabbids 2 is 2022 :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

Everything is

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ok now THIS is great news, I will definitely pick this one up

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I still maintain that Planescape: Torment is the pinnacle of video game writing, which may or may not be because it is the first game I played to ponder existentialist topics at a time when I was old enough to consider them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Planescape would have been a lot better if it was a VN

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mega64 posted:

Now I want to see an Avengers or Justice League VN.

Now that I think about it, is Comix Zone considered a VN?

There are channels that voice act comics. Not exactly the same but close

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
-pounding fist on table- give us Rabbid Daisy for gently caress'S sake

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Hedrigall posted:

The good thing about mayors is they’re usually adults lol

Wait do you really want to gently caress the mayor from zootopia

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I really wish we just glossed over that but that's really how this thread is committed to rolling, huh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lets goooooooooooooooooo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Huh, with the first one out in 2017, I guess Nintendo really sat on decided on whether or not they wanted a sequel. I originally borrowed it from my BiL and never finished the co-op challenges (which can be done by yourself really...) or got the DLC. I'm considering buying it, because it was a lot of fun.

Endorph posted:

I mean, even in a well-written game the writing's never going to impress you on its own because that's not the point. It's not about talent or ability, it's about focus and emphasis. Going by your av I'll assume you're a fan of Majora's Mask, so I'd say the writing in Majora's Mask is pretty good. Obviously the translation has some issues given the time period, and it's not exactly dropping prose on you, but it's impressively minimalist and leaves a fair bit up to reader interpretation, deals with some fairly mature themes with a deft touch, and it has some very memorable lines. But like, so much of that game's story, atmosphere, and general meaning is in stuff besides the writing. The music, the gameplay mechanics, even the context of comparing it to the game it's a sequel to and seeing how much about it is different, all of that is given just as much, if not more, weight than the writing.

Even in the most gameplay-agnostic game the writing isn't meant to carry everything on its own, there's other things it can work with. I think the issue you're having is you're looking for excellent novel writing in a game, when excellent novel writing would often be terrible writing for a game. It's the same way a perfectly well-written book can be turned into a terrible play or movie, even if the adaptation is faithful and competent. Some stuff reads very well as written dialogue but sounds terrible when a human being has to read it aloud. Different mediums are doing different things, and need different kinds of writing.

That's not saying a game can't have bad writing, of course, and there's plenty of visual novels where the base prose is bad, but you get what I mean.

Yeah this is pretty much it. What writing means, in terms of a game, is vastly different from other mediums. I think that does end up with the audience having slightly lower expectations, when it comes to plot contrivances, since the actual experience can be played out and emphasized upon in different ways. But you're right that "interactive" fiction, like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure stuff, is often the pulpiest of the pulp, and while fun, not necessarily well-written, meaning that just writing doesn't translate to that other form of entertainment.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm p sure wanting to bang high school girls is more worthy of derision than wanting to bang an adult furry character, assuming the person in question is an adult and not a high schooler.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

can we PLEASE just NOT

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

please oh god let's leave this conversation behind us

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This is why I said this was how this discussion was destined to failure

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 12, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no i like where this is going

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Rabbids 2 description says a roster of 9. I hope my boy DK makes the cut!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Planescape would have been a lot better if it was a VN

I know I try to skip or cheat as much combat as I can in RTWP games so yeah I agree

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Postman posted:

Rabbids 2 description says a roster of 9. I hope my boy DK makes the cut!

Bowser (and some kind of punk Bowser-esque lady Rabbid) are on the splash art, as well as a Rabbid Rosalina. I wonder if the Yoshis are getting cut and replaced with one of those, with Bowser/Rosalina filling up the 9th slot

Peache's weapon also seems to be different. Instead of a like, wide spread shotgun thing, she seems to have an umbrella with a rocket launcher on top. Yoshi was the rocket launcher one in the last game

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope it's Rabbid Bowsette

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:swoon:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nintendo’s Off on the right foot with Rabbids 2, now I’m cautiously optimistic to see what they have in store for the rest of E3

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

In fact, there's seven on the splash screen right now. Mario, Rabbid Peach, Rabbid Rosalina, Rabbid... Bowsette?, Bowser, Luigi, and Peach. The screenshots also show Rabbid Luigi so that's 8. So that leaves a 9th. My guess is that they're not gonna bring back Yoshi, Rabbid Yoshi or Rabbid Mario. Rabbid Bowsette(?) looks like she might replace the big melee Rabbid since she's got some kind of sword. Either Rosalina is gonna be the eighth, or there's gonna be some really wacky choice for the final one. Maybe it's Donkey Kong.

Of course I could be wrong and it could simply be one of the three I mentioned are just coming back.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’m curious who the cyberpunk rabbid on the splash image is supposed to be

OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED HER BUSTER SWORD THIS GAME RULES

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gotta leave some old favorites for day 1 DLC

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Awwwwww yissssssssssssss mother fuckin XCOMs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

-pounding fist on table- give us Rabbid Daisy for gently caress'S sake

I'd be happy if it just let people not use Mario in every battle, or at least allow four characters if I can't have that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

I'd be happy if it just let people not use Mario in every battle or at least four characters if I can't have that.

The screenshots DO show that you can at least put one of the other characters in front in the overworld. I would be shocked if you can remove Mario from the team completely though, I have to imagine that's a thing that Nintendo probably is like "you can do whatever else you want, but Mario has to always be in the party"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Man every time I remember the creator of Mario x Rabbids openly weeping about fulfilling a life dream of working with miyamoto it makes me so happy for him. :unsmith:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

I mean it's not like Nintendo doesn't have third-party studios making franchise games, for better and for worse

guest content and crossovers are cool but I have to assume that Nintendo is probably really strict and controlling about their franchise use and it probably turns companies away

For what it's worth Nintendo bought out Retro Studios before the first Prime game even launched, supposedly because the founder was more interested in partying with Nintendo's money than in running the company, and most of the main issues with Other M (story, writing and control scheme) seems to have come from Sakamoto at Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You finally really did it. You maniacs! You blew it up! God drat you! God drat you all to hell!

Al-Saqr posted:

Man every time I remember the creator of Mario x Rabbids openly weeping about fulfilling a life dream of working with miyamoto it makes me so happy for him. :unsmith:

Yeah I linked this in the monthly chat thread, but it was genuinely one of the most heartfelt moments of E3 I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4tUL2rSYBg