Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Verviticus posted:

it would be hard because as it is even on interloper or harder customs, the hardest part of the game is at the very start. once you get rolling you're basically gonna clean out the entire map eventually. adding more content like better tools or better clothing is only going to make that easier and all of the hardmode zones they've added with timberwolves and what not are not particularly difficult to handle

DLC where you're on a timer and after a couple weeks or so you start getting stalked by Sasquatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CDDA tried this with wander spawns but (as of 2 years ago) the implementation was poo poo. You would go to sleep on night one and OH poo poo ALL THE ZOMBIES.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Preview gameplay for Death Trash recorded by Nookrium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkP6cC9i7A

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Preview gameplay for Death Trash recorded by Nookrium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkP6cC9i7A

I'm not sure it's a survival game, but I'll be buying it just to be friends with the Fleshkraken.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I just wanted to say thanks to this thread for suggesting 7 Days to Die in the first place, and also for recommending I stick with it against the blood moon horde mode. I'm having a lot of fun with it now.
I'd considered turning the blood moon off after two games crashed and burned on the first horde night, initially. First I tried just reinforcing a lot and fighting my way through, but I'd drastically underestimated the amount of zombies that would show up at once, sprinting at me. Second time, knowing what I was in for, I'd tried heavily fortifying a concrete building, creating a sort of airlock door that I could poke into from either side while the zombies attacked a reinforced door. Eventually despite my best attempts they broke the door down and there was no fighting them off or recovering from that. I looked up a ton of Youtube video guides, but most of those were about how you could completely cheat the AI by having them stick themselves in an infinite loop of falling off specially constructed ledges that hosed with their pathfinding, to the point you could AFK the entire night, and it seemed like a bad sign that so many designs were built around what was effectively cheating. It gave the impression there was no commonly accepted "legitimate" approach.

Then I just made an easily repaired blockade I could swing over the top of and beat the night handily.
The game's really a blast to play despite all the jank and the utterly uncoordinated visuals, and the one aspect of it I kept stumbling on has finally been successfully defeated. Thanks again for a solid recommendation.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
When my wife and I played we would dig a moat around our bunker and fill it with spike traps, then have further spikes around the base of the bunker. On horde night we stood on the roof and shot as many as we could. Eventually we'd put up junk turrets and stuff. We got probably 6 horde nights in before we moved on to another game, and we never had to resort to the cheaty stuff.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Once you've got guns it's a whole different game, you can have the zombies climb on a walkway to get to you and, running straight at you, line up beautifully for headshots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've started and stopped so many times with 7 Days to Die but I keep coming back for another run at it. I can tell there's a great game there but something always stops me dead and I just never go back. Maybe I'm due for another try!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you can play with 1 or 2 friends it’s absolutely a different game. I went in cold with a frien: just over a year ago - so current, but a few patches back - and we managed to survive horde nights without a cheaty base. By the end of that game, we were on night 70-ish using an iron rod fence with spikes in front of it. Behind the iron fence was several “kill boxes” that were basically some electric fence wires across a space with a small concrete bunker to hide the fence posts. Eventually if they broke that, they got into a courtyard where we layered any mines we would afford to make (dubiously useful.)

The last defense was another fence and a 2 wide, 3 deep moat with spike traps before it gave way to our stubby tower that we fought from. Later in the game we did have zombies get up to the tower, but it was never dramatically threatened.

E: and should clarify here too - that base wasn’t made over one week. It started as a tower with a pit and a fence, then I built the outside fence, then I started using mines, then I started adding electric fences much later. It kept pace but started small.

In this new game I have two friends. We’re approaching day 28, and the hordes are going so much easier than our last it’s not funny - the big trick is just keeping everyone extremely flush with ammunition for AKs.

A big part of our strategy works though because I’m happy to craft and mine, one player does all the missions for scavenging and getting that all important brass for ammo, and the last is either building our True gently caress You Fort or helping one of us with mining or missions. Having a dedicated miner/crafter can be a pretty rote job, but it makes the difference. I can definitely see other play styles where if I’m not playing base-mother, you’d get absolutely wrecked on horde nights. If everyone can show up to a few good meals and 1000 7.62 ammo, we finish by 1am pretty unscathed and I can replace and repair the broken defenses by daybreak.

Solo I don’t have good advice sadly. Just having more eyes and guns is a force multiplier even though gamestage advances faster and there’s more zombies. Definitely don’t miss robotic turrets - they’re easy to make ammo for (maybe you need a recipe if you aren’t an intellect guy - but if you’re solo you probably have some anyway) and provide a free gun if you can pause to reload it a few times. (Pro tip: when you have to repair your AK.)

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 12, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vib Rib posted:

Then I just made an easily repaired blockade I could swing over the top of and beat the night handily.

My favorite way of fighting hordes was working my way up the agility tree to the point I could get both skills that let you jump higher. Then I'd create an area of iron bars two blocks high with several S bending paths. I'd then just shoot it out and when zombies got too close, jump over the bars to a safer section.

I guess that still somewhat loving with their pathfinding but at least I was exposing myself to danger! Cause often I'd run out of safe areas and sometimes just have to abandon the whole grid and start parkouring my way across town. Seriously, being able to jump over/onto 2 or 3 block tall obstacles is amazing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

I've started and stopped so many times with 7 Days to Die but I keep coming back for another run at it. I can tell there's a great game there but something always stops me dead and I just never go back. Maybe I'm due for another try!
About how far did you get, and what put you off it? I'm only on Day 12 but that's the farthest I've gotten, and I'm really in love with the exploration of it, digging through ruined houses and factories for treasures and supplies, and even as simple as that is it tends to be what gets most of my attention. It's mindlessly enjoyable, and the only real thinking I have to do is on horde night. I do think the game badly needs a teleport or fast travel system, though, with as big as the maps are. Maybe I just need a vehicle.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

About how far did you get, and what put you off it? I'm only on Day 12 but that's the farthest I've gotten, and I'm really in love with the exploration of it, digging through ruined houses and factories for treasures and supplies, and even as simple as that is it tends to be what gets most of my attention. It's mindlessly enjoyable, and the only real thinking I have to do is on horde night. I do think the game badly needs a teleport or fast travel system, though, with as big as the maps are. Maybe I just need a vehicle.

Vehicles, even just a bicycle, are a massive game changer IMO. The mini bike is all you really ever need and anything beyond that is just luxury.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Honestly a vehicle might make all the difference. I don't remember exactly why I fell off but I think it was always some combination of jank or dying with everything and just getting fed up that pushed me over the edge. Honestly I didn't know there were vehicles so that's kinda cool.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Vehicles, even just a bicycle, are a massive game changer IMO. The mini bike is all you really ever need and anything beyond that is just luxury.
You might consider it cheaty but you can just deal with the hordes by slowly biking around until night ends instead of being in one place trying to fight them off. It's how most people survived on multiplayer servers back when I played.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That’s harder to do now. If you’re in a vehicle it starts spawning lots of vultures instead of regular zombies and the vultures can keep up with and attack vehicles iirc?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ah, they must have put in an anti-biker measure last I played.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bhodi posted:

You might consider it cheaty but you can just deal with the hordes by slowly biking around until night ends instead of being in one place trying to fight them off. It's how most people survived on multiplayer servers back when I played.

And miss out on 3-4 levels of experience? No way!

I think running or hiding + running is a perfectly valid way to handle the horde if it works out. Vultures can definitely keep up with at least the mini-bike though for sure.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Not a really big fan of the Horde Night mechanic, in that it completely ignores stealth, mostly invalidates melee skills and it pushes you very hard to build silly cheese bases. The suicide bomber zombies are also extremely stupid, and designed to wreck player bases. At least there's mods that let you control that stuff though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah I turn blood moons off, go to hardest or 2nd hardest difficulty, and drop loot to 25%. If I could, I might drop trader quest rewards to half, but I like what it turns the game into.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah I turn blood moons off, go to hardest or 2nd hardest difficulty, and drop loot to 25%. If I could, I might drop trader quest rewards to half, but I like what it turns the game into.
Which is what, mostly just about exploring the POIs?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that and building something you actually want to build, rather than a 5 story balancing beam designed to exploit horde night AI.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

that and building something you actually want to build, rather than a 5 story balancing beam designed to exploit horde night AI.

Yeah it’s HGTV with zombies.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was poking through my library and discovered I own Conan Exiles, which I must've gotten for free at some point. Since the thread has said it's pretty fun I started downloading it.

File size is something like 120GB :psyduck: Did they lovingly render the asshair of every antelope?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's all nipple physics

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A little bit away from survival but there is stuff like eating, drinking, barfing etc

https://twitter.com/DeathTrash/status/1406260863854592008

demo available for free, right now

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

explosivo posted:

Hey did they ever make that Conan Exiles expansion any better for solo players? I remember the chief complaint being that there wasn't enough to do that wasn't PVP but thought they put out a statement doing the whole "we hear you" thing and wondered if they made it not suck before release.

Very belatedly: Yeah, they did, a few patches back they added a ton of new/revamped PVE content as well as new NPC locations up and around everywhere for thrall gathering and big raids. In my experience you can do basically all the content solo with the expectation that it'll range from moderately difficult to quite easy depending on how well you know how to use the thrall system. It's still going to be mostly a legendary grind and building experience once you reach the endgame, but there's lots to do and a ton of cool new poo poo the accomplish as you get there in addition to Actually Fun(TM) endgame content.

re 7 Days: at a certain point if you've leveled your speed up enough you can also just murder the poo poo out of Blood Moon hordes solo as long as you chug beer throughout the night in order to keep your stamina at max. No guns necessary for it at all, though it's helpful for oh poo poo moments when you're at risk for abruptly dying.

Seeing the blood moon rise and responding by getting absolutely loving wasted so you can run backwards all night popping zombie heads is as fun and hilarious as it sounds.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

My strategy of going a level up on the construction site and making a grated floor in the corner has lasted me through every blood night with minimal fuss.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there any actual story context to the Conan Exiles expansion island? I remember that the main game actually had a modest bit of Plot you could find if you went looking for it. You could even free yourself of your cursed bracelet and “win” the game by escaping exile.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
third time playing darkwood and man i just want to be done with this game. the atmosphere is neat and the writing is ok so far but its so goddamn boring

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
How is Stationeers these days? I'm looking for a survival game in space. I like the idea of building a base on a hostile planet where I have to manage making Oxygen and food and eventually travel to other planets in ships that I build.

My current favorite survival game is The Long Dark and I really like the battle versus the weather and the idea of, "I can't go outside right now. Its dangerous."

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

It's less a survival game and more of a wire and plumbing simulator. (It's fun, but.... different).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
You could check out Space Haven (still in early access), which is more of a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress style, but you build a ship and manage oxygen and temperature and energy and food and jump your ship to different sectors where you can mine and meet other ships and stuff.

There's also Space Engineers, but I found that to be pretty lacking once you actually build a ship and get it into space, there's not all that much to do, aside from searching forever for uranium to build a real reactor. Making a mining craft and all the assemblers and stuff on the planet and building a ship for the first time I found to be a lot of fun though.

Like the poster above me said, Stationeers is a whole different thing and I'd recommend watching a few videos on that before making a decision. It looked a touch too complex systems wise for me.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 21, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I forget if the post was here or somewhere else but someone was dead on in that it kind of lacks an antagonist in any meaningful way, so it doesn’t have a “loop” in many senses. If you like automating a base and building an impressive space station and HVAC then it’s great, but it’s hard to say it’s really good if you aren’t going to be self motivated by expanding your fantastic base.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Verviticus posted:

third time playing darkwood and man i just want to be done with this game. the atmosphere is neat and the writing is ok so far but its so goddamn boring

I finally just gave up and watched a lets play of the rest... and skipped forward a lot even then. Conceptually I love the game, the gameplay itself just doesnt do it for me.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I'll go watch some videos. I enjoy Factorio so hopefully the Bigger, Better, Faster instinct will kick in.

Thanks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sab Sabbington posted:

Very belatedly: Yeah, they did, a few patches back they added a ton of new/revamped PVE content as well as new NPC locations up and around everywhere for thrall gathering and big raids. In my experience you can do basically all the content solo with the expectation that it'll range from moderately difficult to quite easy depending on how well you know how to use the thrall system. It's still going to be mostly a legendary grind and building experience once you reach the endgame, but there's lots to do and a ton of cool new poo poo the accomplish as you get there in addition to Actually Fun(TM) endgame content.
I've been playing for a couple days and mostly enjoying myself, but after today I may uninstall it. Wandered into a dungeon, doing the bossfight and my thrall gets killed because the AI is just dumb as poo poo. OK, well they weren't wearing any really good gear so whatever. Then I get killed because it's a multistage Witch Queen and go "ah gently caress it" and respawn at my base. I have drop on death turned off so it's NBD. Then I find my horse, my really good horse, has clipped into the ground to the point where I can't even interact with him to ask him to follow me. Tried quitting and reloading, but he's there permanently it seems. And I'm on PS4 so there's no debugging console or whatever to clip him out. On top of that all the pets I had coming along in the pen are just...gone.

Also the other day I was having a fight with some 3-skull boss, had him down to the last bit of health just wailing on him and he clips through the wall and...disappears. I waited for him to respawn but no dice. If it'd been some random mook enemy I'd have just laughed but that fight took a long time - I was clearly underleveled but managed to whittle him down and I got fuckall for it. Maybe it's better on PC but there are some nasty bugs/glitches on PS4.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Travic posted:

How is Stationeers these days? I'm looking for a survival game in space. I like the idea of building a base on a hostile planet where I have to manage making Oxygen and food and eventually travel to other planets in ships that I build.

Stationeers is really good, but as others have said, the main survival challenges are engineering ones rather than more traditional stuff. Tho they recently added food spoilage so food can more easily go wrong at least. But yeah, you still gotta worry about food and water and air, but solving those problems is generally a matter of, well, engineering and logistics rather than flat acquisition or basic refinement. If you think you'd enjoy roleplaying a plumber/electrician stuck in space, you'll prolly like it.

I really like playing on Vulcan, since you gotta avoid going out in the day since it gets way too loving hot out and will cook you alive, and combust allot of things if you leave them outside, so for the first few days you've got to crack open all the doors in your base to cycle that refreshing, cool 120'c night air in before you get a heat exchange and radiator setup. But the benefit is that for a brief window during midday you can prime the furnace to smelt steel and a few other alloys without the need for fuel by pumping in the external atmosphere, which was a fun task to partially automate. Needed a series of small, un-insulated pre-fill tanks to get the pressure high enough during the window; couldn't use big tanks since they'd hold the "cold" from the night too well and miss the window.

Also the devs have a monthly update schedule that they almost never miss and is usually a moderate content chunk at least, which is kinda refreshing for an EA game.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
That kind of stuff is what makes Stationeers so neat. It really feels like you’re encouraged to engineer your own solutions. That being said, I bounced off it pretty hard after about 15 hours of trying to get the most basic base setup on Mars. Game is too complex for me and I never got used to the SS13-style hand controls.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i really like stationeers, but it'd be a way less tedious game if you could just... craft from inventory like in space engineers i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

As if I didn't have enough poo poo to play right now I saw that Astroneer just updated with some cool new vehicles like a vtol and hoverboard. I never went back to that game after they added the machinery stuff and always meant to but I keep finding other stuff instead.