Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah it's kinda dumb, splits the discussion of already a fairly niche subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fez_machine posted:

The ADTRW VN thread is for Higurashi. Games is strictly Umineko.

I don't even know why it's like that but it is.

MegaZeroX posted:

Maybe it's time for you to read another Ryuukishi07 work then points at Higurashi

I tried starting and immediately felt pangs of nostalgia for rokkenjima. I think I need something in between for a breather. I can't decide between Kara no shoujo or 428. But the person posting about baldr sky kinda made me wanna try it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah it's kinda dumb, splits the discussion of already a fairly niche subject matter.

It's kind of funny when people don't realize they both exist tho

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the thread split is pretty similar to the split of SukeraSparo and SukeraSomero

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe
I admittedly started posting over in there sine that's where the relevant discussion started for this end, but I keep an eye on both anyway. But anyway, I had to leave off at a point and never got back to it (since I'm in need of catching up again by now), but Baldr Sky was interesting from what I'd played. The major complaints from where I'd got to were just that some repeated conversations across routes didn't add much and could've been skipped, and I wish that chapter jumping was a lot sooner unlocked so I could access ending stuff without tons of saves. The rest seemed interesting up to where I had got though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Strictly speaking I guess this one's still restricted to only all-ages VNs while the ADTRW one just prohibits ero scene talk and getting weird about that stuff, though the lines are kind blurry these days with a lot of all-ages releases of R18 VNs and whatnot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1402746249657290754

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I would have expected some proportion of "average" gamers to have bounced off of room 1 and dragged down the score. But maybe if you've bought the game you're already likely to have some tolerance for VN-isms.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

it's based on 7 reviews, all from random small-time and/or regional news sites. It'll be brought down eventually (even if the rest of the reviews are relatively glowing 9/10s), but it's funny to see it on top of the "best of all time" list for now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Redmark posted:

I would have expected some proportion of "average" gamers to have bounced off of room 1 and dragged down the score. But maybe if you've bought the game you're already likely to have some tolerance for VN-isms.

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fondly remembering the multiple years where the best game on metacritic was Out of the Park Baseball

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I finished Worlds' End Club. It's a pretty short game I guess, I did absolutely everything and let a lot of the voice acting play out completely and my final clock is at 16:39

But hey, I loved it. It was a heartwarming game about friendship mixed in with some of those batshit Uchikoshi twists he's known for; definitely the sunniest game I've ever played about the world ending that's for sure.

Go play it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't understand. Yu No has done the impossible for the Genre, made an intro I actually like.
Serious I wish I had started this sooner, the music is on point, the graphics are aesthetic as gently caress, and the MC is somehow in the top five of VN MC's after 30 minutes of game

Already taking a turn

This game is a lot more Hubworthy than I thought it would be

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 11, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also goddamn the Apple Arcade cutoff point for World's End Club was like...seriously an hour or two before the finished ending. That's def hosed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So I decided to give Baldr Sky a go, but it seems to not recognize my Xbox 360 controller at all, even when Steam does, and even while double checking StartUpTool.exe has the controller included. Has anyone else had this issue, and know how to fix it?

Edit: It seems that when I disable the controller in the options, in settings it will explicitly remind me of that when I try to press a button on the controller.

Edit 2: Forgot to update, but I solved it by turning my computer off and back on again :downs:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 11, 2021

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

And that’s a wrap for Umineko episode 3. (Except the tea party, but I’m going to catch my breath after the finale.) I think I love this series now?? Basic logical techniques presented like shonen power-ups? Hell yes. And it helps that this episode was low on Maria, and actually spent some time developing the adults. Plus I really liked the contrast between Eva-Beatrice’s intentionally grating edgy sadism vs Meta-Beatrice’s more deep-seated, authentic malice. And the implication that constructing such an explicitly unsolvable final murder isn't just unfair, it's not fun and therefore not witch-like. Usual wall of CIA memos incoming:

- I love/hate how the first scenario was specifically constructed to gently caress with all my theories, and the game rubbed my face in it. I’m pretty sure the wording of the red text confirming 18 people means it only applies to this chapter, but killing off the servants is a dick move meta-move. I’m guessing Kinzo set up the chain of locked rooms (with the furniture willingly helping) but got interrupted and killed before he could find his 6th victim, and the killer burned the body to hide the fact he didn’t fit the pattern somehow.

- As if that weren’t enough, the game goes and crushes the obvious Human Beatrice is Kinzo’s illegitimate daughter theory… or does it? I’m guessing the Beatrice who Rosa met was indeed Beatrice Prime’s daughter, and Kinzo transferred his affections to her (ew), but the 19 year gap after her death by cliff gives just enough time for another Beatrice to come along and mess around with the second game. Maybe Kyrie’s lost child??? don’t ask me why they look the same though, or what Human Beatrice is doing when she isn't on the island

- Re: the culprit, the game seems to pretty unambiguously pin all the killings on Eva but something feels off about how decisively they present it, especially given the Golden Land upset. I can buy that Eva-Beatrice really is just her repressed selfish and sadistic side, and that she felt threatened enough by Rosa to kill her and Maria (although Rosa might have killed Maria like Battler theorised) but I just can’t see the Eva we know killing Hideyoshi, let alone George. At the very least, I think Kyrie/Rudolf killed Hideyoshi after luring him out and Eva killed them in retaliation. Plus she’s so comprehensively excluded from the impossible final murder we have to infer another killer running around, so that person might have killed George.

- Speaking of Kyrie, her whole ”18 years of envy” thing was very unsettling and has definitely bumped her up the suspicion rankings. Her death isn’t confirmed by red text until after Nanjo’s death, so she’s my preferred suspect for George and Nanjo. There seems to be a pattern of exploring the female adults one at a time per chapter, as we’ve spent time with Natsuhi, Rosa and now Eva, so if the pattern holds it’ll be interesting to see inside Kyrie’s head.

- yes I transcribed all the red text shut up

- Guess we’re going all in on Dante huh? Virgilia is Kumasawa in some sense, so it seems pretty likely she knows more than she’s letting on about the secret mansion. (And that in turn explains why she's still around despite being a second-rate servant - Kinzo can't risk her leaving and spilling the beans.) And it strengthens my theory about Ronove being a meta-representation of Genji.

- I guessed that the everyone living happily ever after thing was going to get horribly upended, but the sudden return of Beatrice's creepy face still made me flinch. She's such a great villain, even if mocking me for getting taken in by the redemption arc is mean :mad: I like how the conflict has evolved from "find the human truth vs give in to the witch" to "find a way to discover the human truth AND validate Beatrice as a meta-person without accepting that witches are real."

- The mystery girl right at the end has red hair, the eagle crest, and used Battler’s catchphrase, so I’m guessing she’s either Battler’s half-sister (who he very noticeably started thinking about just before that) or some kind of alternate universe female Battler, possibly linked (again) to Kyrie and Asumu’s simultaneous pregnancies? I just hope time travel isn’t involved, this is complicated enough as it is…

e: well, now I feel silly. of course it's his sister. Interesting to see them actually playing out the "only Eva survives" thing to its logical conclusion of her dying rich, paranoid and alone. now to go figure out what the gently caress is going on with the meta-world

Gato fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 11, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Umineko comment sorta related to the post above, but do not read if you haven't finished the game (this includes Gato, do not read this Gato): I'm actually always a little surprised/confused at people who read Episode 3 as just Beatrice owning Battler. I was actually pretty slow to figure most Umineko things out (I wasn't even clear on the Shannon/Kanon situation until the end of EP6 when it's made all-but-explicit, for example, and even then had zero clue as to the "why"), but even I initially read the end of Episode 3 as "Beatrice's real goal isn't to convince Battler she's a witch, but she's still somewhat regretful about throwing away the friendly dynamic they've had." I mean, isn't that directly implied by her fully convincing Battler she's a witch and then deliberately revealing the deception to prevent him from "signing"? Her sprite even makes it clear that it isn't easy and she isn't just gloating*. It's even weirder when people have this opinion after finishing the entire game, given this part in Episode 4 that directly reveals her perspective on the situation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boIFcAK6Krw&t=1650s

My best guess is that some people get really invested in the dynamic of Beatrice being an antagonist/rival to Battler (and this is also why some people dislike everything after Episode 4).

* see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH73teIkK28&t=11714s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i was watching the gaming streams earlier and said gently caress you outloud at ddlc+

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gato posted:

this is complicated enough as it is…

Hahaha, speaking from the midst of episode 6, Umineko is never going to stop getting more complicated

Bonus: here's a video that I haven't watched for fear of spoilers talking about what makes Uminkeo a game, even though it has no directly interactive elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1TT3tmJmo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Snooze Cruise posted:

i was watching the gaming streams earlier and said gently caress you outloud at ddlc+
Hardly the first free game to do an updated rerelease for money, though, right?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that isn't the part i am saying gently caress you at

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm confused, then.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DDLC.....FTL

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

im mentioning it both in here and the other VN thread, but I'm starting up an LP for a pair of VNs that are basically a budget Canadian Zero Escape knockoff :v: posting the link here in case anyone is interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970511

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Folks I'm going to complain about something that I am dealing with in umineko chapter 2 having read through to chapter 4 once.

I just can't handle this kind of uncertainty. I've figured out a bunch of locked rooms including the fourth of chapter 2. But:

We're told not to believe things that battler isn't around to witness basically, later on. That includes Rosa having a letter and also maria being given a letter. Here's the thing, of course I don't believe that maria received a letter from a witch. But we never receive the information that rosa recieves the letter again from a trust worthy source, just that Maria had a letter with the chapel key.

However, the letter that Rosa was given to read at dinner, does appear again. Battler finds it after the locked room is open on the dinner table full of candy. This obviously incriminates Rosa, because it means she should have placed the letter there inside the locked room prior to battler finding it for some ridiculous reason.

So we're told not to trust things that battler isn't around for, but we also rely on that information to help tie rosa to the crime scene... That's a little frustrating. Obviously Rosa is the best candidate for an accomplice, being the person receiving a letter with maria, and knowing the chapel key was inside maria's letter. And supposed to be in discussions with the rest of the family but wasn't killed and has no excuse for not being killed. But its such a dumb easy solution that it feels bad to call.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Also, if no one is left alive, should I be coming up with a theory for the four that go to the golden land

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

your making an assumption that anything battler isn't around to see is false. this is erroneous as assuming everything should be taken at face value.

I will give you one hint. every scene exists for a reason.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

your making an assumption that anything battler isn't around to see is false. this is erroneous as assuming everything should be taken at face value.

I will give you one hint. every scene exists for a reason.

Thanks I guess this helps me not second guess EVERYTHING.

I also have a good issue I have with the red text:

"The envelope I handed to maria and the one rosa opened are the same thing!!"

Obviously I guess its fine that Beatrice talks about herself with the I pronoun even if witches don't exist, but including the verb handed in the red text makes me feel as if Rosa in red received an envelope from someone else - not forge it herself. I think that's sloppy. But of course, beatrice is trying to place the event in plain English, as battler and the reader just saw it, and that isn't the point of this red text.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 13, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Umineko Late Episode 6 Speculation: Kannon and Shannon have to be the same person, right? That's the only way any of this imagery works. If that's true, then maybe he/she is actually the culprit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man they really meant it when they said Steins Gate was based on Yu No, the intro's are incredibly similar. And much like SG it's one of the few VN's that starts off with a bang.

Just about out of the Intro and I really like it so far, It's very Snatcher, unabashedly horny and all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The author behind Yu-No is sort of notorious for how drat horny he is. He's too horny for his own good, and I have a fair amount of tolerance for that. No spoilers, but that game gets... questionable later on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The anime was pretty bad for that too. Maybe it got better, I dropped it pretty fast even though I enjoyed Yu-No

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Scarlet Hollow is really good, but it's gonna take ages for the entire game to be out.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I enjoyed the first chapter prologue but I have no interest in playing the rest piece by piece and getting frustrated waiting and forgetting what was happening previously. I already own it but I don't want to play it until it's done unless there's some exciting internal reason that we need to do each episode separately.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys, a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic I got pretty into VNs, but since then haven't really played them. That's because I couldn't really find stuff to my taste. The 3 that I played that I really liked were AI, Raging Loop, and (my favorite by far) 428 shibuya scramble. They all kind of share a multiple timelines and sense of humor that I really like. They also have a lot of funny fail states. Is there other stuff that fits that niche? Pretty much anything with like a "timeline viewer" screen would work I think.

I think it's the "choice" that I like, even if it's mostly an illusion and leads to a bad end.

Thanks for the recs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could do worse than going back to the AI writer's earlier games, 999, Virtues Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma. They're up on most platforms as The Nonary Games iirc though that might just be the first two.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Virtue’s last reward fits that bill, and the one before it in the series, 999, is good too. It’s by the guy who did AI

E:fb also, the nonary games is only the first two, but that’s ok, I’d struggle to describe the third one as anything other than bad.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

The Zero Escape series fits all of your things, I think? The humor has made me laugh out loud, it has a timeline structure, and many of quick fail states.

Fate/Stay Night has a dozens of failure states, and so does Remember 11. I don't really remember finding any particularly funny though.

Clannad doesn't have much for fail states, but IIRC has comedy with the romance that I ended up liking. It also has a bit of a convoluted route structure, with lots of choices, so there is that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gegi posted:

I enjoyed the first chapter prologue but I have no interest in playing the rest piece by piece and getting frustrated waiting and forgetting what was happening previously. I already own it but I don't want to play it until it's done unless there's some exciting internal reason that we need to do each episode separately.

Entirely understandable.

Still, it's good for a small team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mirello posted:

hey guys, a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic I got pretty into VNs, but since then haven't really played them. That's because I couldn't really find stuff to my taste. The 3 that I played that I really liked were AI, Raging Loop, and (my favorite by far) 428 shibuya scramble. They all kind of share a multiple timelines and sense of humor that I really like. They also have a lot of funny fail states. Is there other stuff that fits that niche? Pretty much anything with like a "timeline viewer" screen would work I think.

I think it's the "choice" that I like, even if it's mostly an illusion and leads to a bad end.

Thanks for the recs.

I'll add Stein's Gate if you haven't played that.

On a different track, spoilers for Umineko 7: They really brush over the incest, don't they? It's very casually treated. Obviously talking about cat boxes is far more important