Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why didn’t they make it so it honks when you press the middle of the wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Fine motor control degrades under stress. This way, instead of having to find the right tiny button while freaking out about the person moving into your lane, you just slap the entire spoke with your hand. I actually like it, if it works reliably.

Edit: sure, middle of the wheel would be better, but that would mean a whole new switch, and that drives cost!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Fine motor control degrades under stress. This way, instead of having to find the right tiny button while freaking out about the person moving into your lane, you just slap the entire spoke with your hand. I actually like it, if it works reliably.

Yeah but

bird with big dick posted:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

E. Capacitive buttons are the worst. My mother has a 2016 Honda Jazz/Fit which is an excellent car aside from the completely capacitive stereo and AC controls.

I definitely don’t completely share the touch-screen hatred in these forums (bad ones are still poo poo,) but capacitive buttons are terrible. The only ones that are even partially acceptable are on Gen I Volts, which have tactile nubbins on and near certain buttons so you don’t have to look down. They were still bad, but not what I’ve seen from some other makes.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The best things about the capacitive buttons on my fridge/stove are when they get too much oil buildup (from touching them and cooking oily things) and just stop working. Can't wait to bring that experience to the car.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
That wheel reminds me of the horrible looking wheel for the vw electric minibus concept the buzz. Although it actually has a purpose since it’s supposed to push down into the dash when not in use to give more room.

I want that buzz. I hope it has a normal steering wheel though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jimong5 posted:

The best things about the capacitive buttons on my fridge/stove are when they get too much oil buildup (from touching them and cooking oily things) and just stop working. Can't wait to bring that experience to the car.

My (Whirlpool) washer and dryer both use capacitive buttons and they are poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Make it so it honks when you yell HONK or the word of your choice.

And have DLC horns

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

No reason the buzz couldn't have a normal wheel that sucks into the dash other than:

cursedshitbox posted:

lol Tech company reinventing the wheel again.

Except VW.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MrYenko posted:

My (Whirlpool) washer and dryer both use capacitive buttons and they are poo poo.

I thought my dryer's innards were broken but nope, it's literally just the capacitive start button being hosed up in some way and double-triggering half the time so it starts and then immediately stops.

I want the 1960s future back with physical push buttons for everything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Roadie posted:

I thought my dryer's innards were broken but nope, it's literally just the capacitive start button being hosed up in some way and double-triggering half the time so it starts and then immediately stops.

I want the 1960s future back with physical push buttons for everything.

bring back levers and push-pull buttons

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You guys aren't thinking disruptively about this. The AI determines what to honk at and how aggressively. They've been training it on what conventionally wheeled Tesla drivers have been honking at for the past however many years.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

cruft posted:

:nice:

For those who can't/don't read: power generation would go from about 2GW to about 96GW.

For those who can't get the previous paragraph: it's a whole lot more. We should replace the Hoover dam with solar panels on Lake Mead. Write your congressman today!

Side note: your car's roof is smaller than Lake Mead.

Thanks, and that's an awesome synopsis :D.

CannonFodder posted:

Also, thanks for the amazing math post!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your post / av combo is amazing

Thanks!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just bought a Hyundai Ioniq plug-in 2021 model. Managed to get 0% financing 1k off, and another 2.5k discount by going through the Costco car buying program. I can get a 4.5k tax rebate from it as well, so it's effectively cheaper than just getting the regular hybrid. Only driven it 60 or so miles back from the dealer but I'm VERY happy with the lane keeping and intelligent cruise control. A big improvement from my 2008 mazda 3 I just came from.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We're in Texas, driving to Austin. I have never had so many people pull up while we're charging to ask about the car. Not even when we had one of the first Teslas in New Mexico. I don't know what's going on in Texas, maybe the confluence of the new Gigafactory and the F150, but if my anecdotal experience is any indicator, this place is going to become electric car central.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We had to wait half an hour to plug into this stupid supercharger in Austin, and now we're getting 30kW. I would really like a CCS adapter right now. The supercharger overcrowding in large population centers is starting to feel like a point against Tesla.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

and another 2.5k discount by going through the Costco car buying program

A side note here: a paid Costco membership is absolutely worth it just for the cost savings on anything pricey (cars, computers, glasses, furniture, travel, etc). You can get more savings than the buy-in by going through them for big purchases, even if you never physically visit a Costco location.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Model S plaid track times are going to be worse than the lower trim models because they only gave it half a steering wheel.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

cruft posted:

We had to wait half an hour to plug into this stupid supercharger in Austin, and now we're getting 30kW. I would really like a CCS adapter right now. The supercharger overcrowding in large population centers is starting to feel like a point against Tesla.

Tesla has a new factory in China that's supposed to be churning out superchargers, so hopefully the network starts expanding faster. For Austin in particular, according to supercharge.info, Tesla's got permits for 44 additional stalls across 5 different locations in/near Austin.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Roadie posted:

A side note here: a paid Costco membership is absolutely worth it just for the cost savings on anything pricey (cars, computers, glasses, furniture, travel, etc). You can get more savings than the buy-in by going through them for big purchases, even if you never physically visit a Costco location.

I had a totally rotten experience with Costco's car service and ended up getting my Leaf cheaper and with less hassle just emailing two dealerships myself. But I agree on everything else

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s how you break a wrist when the airbag goes off.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Platystemon posted:

That’s how you break a wrist when the airbag goes off.

Lol if you think that an airbag exploding on that kitt wheel will leave you unharmed, I feel like you are going to get shrapnel everywhere with all that rigid plastic and buttons.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Roadie posted:

If it's not too much of a diversion for the EV thread, could someone help me understand what this is and how it works? The nearest Costco is 150 miles away so it's not something I've ever thought about.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Indiana_Krom posted:

Someone posted this video on Reddit of the new Tesla model S plaid steering yoke in a residential area:
https://osultan.smugmug.com/Cars/Refresh-Model-S/n-jF42tn/i-MqTr9SD/A

IMO looks bad, whats the point of a yoke if you have to turn it more than 180 degrees? Well, not that I was interested anyway (model S is way too expensive for me), but if I ever buy another Tesla I'll definitely be making sure it has a proper steering wheel option.

I like how in this 4 minute video intending to make this wheel look good the turn signal fails to trigger once and he accidentally triggers the horn once.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

If it's not too much of a diversion for the EV thread, could someone help me understand what this is and how it works? The nearest Costco is 150 miles away so it's not something I've ever thought about.

When I used Costco auto they sent me an email with a code that I just gave to my dealer and they gave me a discount. They made me pick another dealer when I requested the code but it works if you just bring it to the dealer of your choice. I just had to ignore a few phone calls from the other dealer. You have to have the membership before the car deal program starts but they are constantly coming out with new deals so it’s not a bad idea to sign up ahead of time if you’re thinking about a new car.

They also have good deals on other stuff you can just buy off Costco.com so even if you don’t have a store a membership might be worth it. Another random example, I got my last batch of checks through Costco for half of what my bank wanted.

The only downside is you have to sign up in person so you’d have to make a day of it to go if you don’t have a nearby store.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cruft posted:

You can select a car you want and your zip code on the Costco auto program. They give you a dealership they've partnered with and you go there. When you get there you show them your Costco card and they look you up. After you look at the cars you want, do your test drives, etc, they give you a sheet with your price. No haggling needed. It's a price Costco basically negotiated for you and for me at least it was about 7% below MSRP, which in the middle of the microchip shortage for cars, seems to me like a really good deal.

You also get to take advantage of whatever manufacturer discounts or deals are running on, and Costco will list them for you when you're looking at cars.

Costco also follows up with you too get a survey done. This has two purposes, one you get 50% parts and service for between 100 and 200 dollars at the dealership. They also use the feedback to determine if they want to maintain their relationship with the dealership. If they try to price people above the Costco price, or try other shady poo poo they'll break them off. So you know that the dealerships that are in the program have a certain baseline level of respectability.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Which of these would look best on a Mach-e GT

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s a Mustang. It needs a six inch cowl hood.

:banjo:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Who needs a hood on a pony car

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

It’s a Mustang. It needs a six inch cowl hood.

:banjo:

At least it'd be practical. More room in the frunk!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hood scoop with CCS socket. "It's for the supercharger!"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ola posted:

Hood scoop with CCS socket. "It's for the supercharger!"

:haw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why doesn't anybody else do dog mode?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

Why doesn't anybody else do dog mode?

I can (and have) do this on my Kia Niro EV (have the AC running with dog inside, without having anyone in the car). I need a sign I can put up so people know this.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why is it called dog mode it seems like it would work just as well for babies.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have used dog mode frequently when going into a store and leaving my elderly parent in the car, so I wish there was an option to call it "Grandma mode" or something else like that...

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Holographic spinning projection above the car of current interior temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Why is it called dog mode it seems like it would work just as well for babies.

Because dogs are cuter than babies

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

I can (and have) do this on my Kia Niro EV (have the AC running with dog inside, without having anyone in the car). I need a sign I can put up so people know this.

Do you use the app? My Soul's app is ... terrible. It takes minutes to respond sometimes and often gives errors. I would not trust it! Plus it only goes 10 minutes or whatever. But yes, put it on the screen! So easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Charles posted:

Do you use the app? My Soul's app is ... terrible. It takes minutes to respond sometimes and often gives errors. I would not trust it! Plus it only goes 10 minutes or whatever. But yes, put it on the screen! So easy.

The app works well on the Niro EV. The key with the climate remote is you have to power down the car, get out, lock doors, and then turn on the climate. If I get app errors, I force the app exit (bottom button on iPhone then swipe up) and then relaunch it. Fixes the issue almost all the time.

The latest iOS version is more robust than the previous.