Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I will now pretend that the team is not physically ready and the strategy here is to hit peak form for the games v Denmark and Finland and the theoretical round of 16 game
Until we lose to both Finland and Denmark, that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Oh wow wasnt aware of the eriksen stuff holy poo poo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

4 bad matches so far, do something cool Euros.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

What was the fourth? We've had Italy-Turkey, Finland-Denmark and Belgium-Russia, what am I missing?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

What was the fourth? We've had Italy-Turkey, Finland-Denmark and Belgium-Russia, what am I missing?

wales - switzerland

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
More like Fales-Shitzerland

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Yeah sounds about right

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

the sex ghost posted:

More like Fales-Shitzerland

Nah.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin posted:

match has cheeky 1-0 finnish smash and grab written all over it

in the end it was not in any way cheeky

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Watched the post-match interview with the danish trainer who pretty much confirmed that they shouldn’t have kept playing, their heads weren’t in it etc.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Syncopated posted:

Watched the post-match interview with the danish trainer who pretty much confirmed that they shouldn’t have kept playing, their heads weren’t in it etc.

He said that they could play or postpone it for tomorrow at 12pm. No one really wanted to play but it was best to just get the match over with, they couldn't mentally handle the prospect of having to play tomorrow.

"It was unmanageable for the players to imagine not being able to sleep tonight - and then having to show up tomorrow, take the bus to the stadium and play the match. It seemed worse than trying to just get it over with now - and frankly - just getting it done. We wanted to put it behind us. It was this choice the players took together."

Hegay fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 12, 2021

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Hegay posted:

He said that they could play or postpone it for tomorrow at 12pm. No one really wanted to play but it was best to just get the match over with, they couldn't mentally handle the prospect of having to play tomorrow.

"It was unmanageable for the players to imagine not being able to sleep tonight - and then having to show up tomorrow, take the bus to the stadium and play the match. It seemed worse than trying to just get it over with now - and frankly - just getting it done. We wanted to put it behind us. It was this choice the players took together."

So they gave the group of traumatised guys two less than optimal alternatives. I mean it's a poo poo situation all around but there has to be better ways of doing this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Elliptical Dick posted:

So they gave the group of traumatised guys two less than optimal alternatives. I mean it's a poo poo situation all around but there has to be better ways of doing this

but this way the sponsors weren't inconvenienced

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

jesus WEP posted:

but this way the sponsors weren't inconvenienced

Yeah I guess that's what it comes down to

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

Finland have to play the 16th. Apparently too big a hassle for UEFA to move their game to the 17th so both teams could get have gotten two days rest.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The Eriksen thing reminded me of the time I was playing in a chess tournament in a local club about 5 years ago. I was thinking about my move when the strongest player, a titled international master and all around cool guy, came out of the restroom, cried "call an ambulance!" and crumpled a couple seats away from me. The games were paused and we were told to leave and wait outside while the EMT's came over and tried to resuscitate him. They stretchered him out and then everybody went right back in and resumed playing like nothing had happened. Ruthless sport, chess.

Later I read that he died in the hospital. RIP Emory Tate. I'm glad Christian is fine.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Hegay posted:

Finland have to play the 16th. Apparently too big a hassle for UEFA to move their game to the 17th so both teams could get have gotten two days rest.

Yeah I know scheduling was an issue. Maybe they could have declared it a 0-0 (if both teams agreed). I don't know if there is a better solution but I do know that the Danes especially would not have been in a position to make a clear headed decision.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Elliptical Dick posted:

Yeah I know scheduling was an issue. Maybe they could have declared it a 0-0 (if both teams agreed). I don't know if there is a better solution but I do know that the Danes especially would not have been in a position to make a clear headed decision.

I mean it's a bit strange they implemented rules allowing them to postpone matches for up to 48 hours incase of COVID but for a player literally collapsing and having to have his heart revived, 16 hours is the best they can do

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just can’t believe today. What… the gently caress.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Der Kyhe posted:

There is nothing to celebrate on this victory for us, and it annoys me much that YLE keeps talking about it as "grand strategic winning". The lead attacker of the Danes had a stroke and ended up in a hospital, and we lucked into making our only attack a successful one. Otherwise the house of cards would have collapsed and this would have been 2-0 or 3-0 to Denmark.

There is no glory in this, and this game should not have resumed. But good for our lads on beating a cripple going through an emotional crisis on an international sports broadcast.

It might very well have went differently without the Eriksen stroke. But I'm also not completely sure it would to be honest. You seemed to have a rather decent hold of the Danish attacking play, even if you were getting dominated hard. Then with the almost classic random goal after barely having any chances all game.

But who knows, it is what it is. Think Finland were also affected (although obviously not nearly as much as the Danes), it must be a weird loving situation to be in. First match in the euros ever (?, or at least a long rear end time), and you are involved in a freak game like this. Think the players/fans were very respectful, in trying to both be happy about the victory, but also without showing disrespect to what happened.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hegay posted:

UEFA are hosed up in this pony's opinion. Now if 2 or 4 guys nearly died, well that's different. 1 guy, play on.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

In with the doublepost

Shrapnig posted:

4 bad matches so far, do something cool Euros.

Mr. Mambold posted:

And then going welp, that was 2 hours of my life wasted. But, wait, next up is North Macedonia vs Bumfuckistan woooo!!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
don't worry guys, the brave lions will get this poo poo kicked off good and proper later on

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Paperhouse posted:

don't worry guys, the brave lions will get this poo poo kicked off good and proper later on

well, it IS coming home

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Hey guys!

It's coming home.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

UnfurledSails posted:

The Eriksen thing reminded me of the time I was playing in a chess tournament in a local club about 5 years ago. I was thinking about my move when the strongest player, a titled international master and all around cool guy, came out of the restroom, cried "call an ambulance!" and crumpled a couple seats away from me. The games were paused and we were told to leave and wait outside while the EMT's came over and tried to resuscitate him. They stretchered him out and then everybody went right back in and resumed playing like nothing had happened. Ruthless sport, chess.

Later I read that he died in the hospital. RIP Emory Tate. I'm glad Christian is fine.

If you think about it, football is like chess, but without the dice.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Oh man. What a day that was. Had low expectations for the FIN-DEN game considering the obvious skill difference between Denmark and Finland. Then I was in goddamn tears and shaking over what happened to Eriksen when it looked bad. Not a thing I would like to see again, ever. Then the huge relief when he was reported to be awake. Finland making it a brutal 1-0 with the only opportunity they had was an incredible moment, then saving a penalty kick to hold on to the lead. It's a shame it took an act of God for Finland to win but opening the first ever major tournament with a win does count in the history books in the end. Great work from the medical staff to save the day and the games too.

It was heartwarming for the fans of both teams to be chanting Eriksen's name. I hope he makes a full recovery some day and that Danes go on to win every game from now on for him. :denmark:

Finland is always an underdog in every match but the fans love just being in the games. I hope they can do well in the coming matches. It's been decades of waiting for the opportunity.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1403989320550264833

So much for "the players wanted it"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

doing big lols at everyone itt who believed the bullshit line about the players being super determined to go out there and do it for christian and uefa just nodding along

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Couldnt the Danes have just refused to play?

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

CyberPingu posted:

You can't expect a group of traumatised people to make the best decision available. Especially not when that decision is not offered as an alternative by the governing body of the tournament that they would like to continue to play in.

Obviously I do not know exactly how this decision came to pass but I don't think it's fair to put any share of this on the group of guys who just saw their friend almost die. Did you see their faces when this whole thing was happening?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

CyberPingu posted:

uefas not just gonna lego of them like that

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Football starts it's journey home today.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

doing big lols at everyone itt who believed the bullshit line about the players being super determined to go out there and do it for christian and uefa just nodding along

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

they probably believed the game would be forfeited and not being in a clear frame of mind they decided they had to fight for the points.

UEFA should have made the game a 0-0 draw then and there (the scoreline at the time of the incident, by the way) and taken any decisionmaking out of traumatised people's hands, that's it.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 13, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m feeling very nervous this morning lads. John stones and Tyrone mings

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I was at the stadium yesterday and would just like to say for the record that that sucked a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bape Culture posted:

I’m feeling very nervous this morning lads. John stones and Tyrone mings

It's coming home ash.