Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I wonder if Devolver gave Wario first dibs about their physical only game gag because they got word of that literal Physical Only Game label that was announced yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:drat:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pylons posted:

A slice of homeworld 3

Pictured: the slice of homeworld 3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

happyhippy posted:

Generally a year working at home would slow down making games a bit, so would explain some of it.
Ubisoft are hosed internally due to their recent sexual harassment shenanigans and the CEO continuing to ignore his part in it.
Gearbox are hosed because its Randy.

Yeah and Sony is only sorta participating in general.

Tomorrow is Xbox / Bethesda / Square,
Monday is Capcom
Tuesday is Nintendo

we basically haven't gotten to any of the real poo poo yet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also PC gaming show usually has good poo poo

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

LLCoolJD posted:

Seems weird to have cancelled work as a development studio, honestly. Did anyone here stop work for several months?
no, but anyone who says they segued seamlessly from working in an office five days a week to working from home five days a week with no loss in productivity is lying through their teeth. if there's no pre-existing culture of WFH, and if there are no systems set up to support it at scale, it can and does take months to adjust. even just thinking about the bare logistics of one person moving to WFH, we're talking poo poo like needing super-powerful machines for 3D modelling and not having those at home and you can't remote in because your video feed responds at 3fps and every other company on the planet is also trying to buy their own computer equipment for remote working. extend that to an entire company and it's no wonder things have slowed down.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

eonwe posted:

also PC gaming show usually has good poo poo

Now that I am no longer expecting to see FF16 at all my most anticipated trailer is going to be Vampire the Masquerade Swansong at the PC Show lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
when is the "only visual novels - just visual novels" direct

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Snooze Cruise posted:

when is the "only visual novels - just visual novels" direct

We can't have one because someone who made a game with visual novel like elements got upset when classified as one by a passer-by on Twitter.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Evil Badman posted:

We can't have one because someone who made a game with visual novel like elements got upset when classified as one by a passer-by on Twitter.

you're fun

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Just :allears:

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

For what it's worth, proceeds from that and the nft are going to small business and non-profit organizations

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Seems weird to have cancelled work as a development studio, honestly. Did anyone here stop work for several months?

Tbf everything disappointing for the next year is going to be blamed on the pandemic whether it's the actual reason or not, so I do think it's going to be overused as an excuse even if it genuinely is a valid one for a lot of stuff.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This post is due to the pandemic :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pylons posted:

A slice of homeworld 3

I seriously couldn't believe when that first popped up and went,"Homeworld was the first RTS with full 360 degree movement, and we're making Homeworld 3...... well, we have to be going now...." and then they did another one later saying,"Homeworld 2 came out in 2003, and we're making Homeworld 3..... well, we have to be going now..." and I thought surely it meant they were closing the show with SOMETHING about Homeworld 3 and.... nope!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

i woke up this morning ready to watch trailers for stuff that will be a year plus out and then immediately proceeded to forget it was all happening.
anything I should skip watching in particular?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Surprised we didnt get borderlands movie trailer

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Surprised we didnt get borderlands movie trailer

I don't want to know exactly what absolute trash that movie will be until I watch it on a streaming service

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

lol this is some real "Why can't they just add multiplayer this month" or "Can't they just hit the 'Export to Nintendo Switch' button" poo poo.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

raditts posted:

I don't want to know exactly what absolute trash that movie will be until I watch it on a streaming service

Same, but on a flight in 5 years just before Covid-23 starts ravaging the world.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

mutata posted:

lol this is some real "Why can't they just add multiplayer this month" or "Can't they just hit the 'Export to Nintendo Switch' button" poo poo.

Hah. That's quite an exaggeration.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1403749864631156736?s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Todd Howard: I am pleased to announce the re-release of the Starfield logo jpg, now in png format. I will not be taking any questions at this time.
file is a webp

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 13, 2021

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

LLCoolJD posted:

Hah. That's quite an exaggeration.

They're pretty bang on, sorry. Even with companies still working during the pandemic, it was all WFH, which comes with problems outside of pure productivity. Hell, some companies actually gave a poo poo about employee mental health for a bit and didn't try to crunch.

Couple that with devs working on games that straddled the line of Gen 8 and Gen 9, and there you are.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 13, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also the effects of the pandemic were always going to be felt the hardest this year instead of last. Last year there was still a decent number of games that were nearing the end of development that could limp across the finish line (or in CP2077's case, crawl bloodily across). That's not the case for this year. I expect the rest of this year to be pretty bereft of new AAA releases. Honestly, it's a miracle that Elden Ring is coming out in Jan 2022, even.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've been talking to a lot of the bigger outsourcing companies in the industry this year for work and they also mostly shut down for huge chunks of last year but this year I'm scrambling to get them to keep even 2 artists on my project at a time. Wait times for scheduling are at least 4 months out. By all accounts there is a ton of production underway now, but nothing is coming out soon.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also the effects of the pandemic were always going to be felt the hardest this year instead of last. Last year there was still a decent number of games that were nearing the end of development that could limp across the finish line (or in CP2077's case, crawl bloodily across). That's not the case for this year. I expect the rest of this year to be pretty bereft of new AAA releases. Honestly, it's a miracle that Elden Ring is coming out in Jan 2022, even.

I'm actually legit expecting the base PS4 release of Elden Ring to go about as well as the CP2077 version. Like some massive corners had to have been cut there on it if it's still getting a simultaneous release in 7 months.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm actually legit expecting the base PS4 release of Elden Ring to go about as well as the CP2077 version. Like some massive corners had to have been cut there on it if it's still getting a simultaneous release in 7 months.

really unlikely it'll be comparable to CP2077, if only because From has a style of gameplay and sticks to it whereas half of cyberpunk's problems stemmed from CDPR going into unfamiliar territory without a plan

that said, from's games can often be troublesome on release day. i recall DS3's pc version straight-up bricking some machines

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Personally, I predict that it will run fine, but the loading times will make Bloodborne's seem speedy. Most games with simultaneous ps4/5 releases don't run that poorly, aside from the fans going into jet-turbine mode. CP77 was just the worst offender.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I haven't bought an Ubisoft game in over a decade, and I don't like open world games, but I'm tempted to get the Avatar game. We'll see.

I am worried that the humans won't be playable, though. They were in the 2009 game. I want to pilot AMP suits and fly Samsons and shoot treehuggers. And riding the Banshees would be cool too, if they can get the flying to feel right.

Also interesting they didn't show any underwater stuff, given that's the selling point of the second film coming next year, but maybe they're going to show that off after the first movie trailer comes out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

From's games aren't the most demanding out there. There may be a boss or area or two that may make PS4s melt, but it shouldn't be that bad.

The issue with Cyberpunk is that it was a next-gen game through and through in terms of geometry, environments, crowd count, etc. That said, it still should have been passable at least on the Xbox One X. If CDProjekt could get The Witcher 3 working on the Switch they should have been able to get Cyberpunk 2077 working on that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I hope Elden Ring doesn't have the frame-pacing issues that plague Bloodborne. I also hope that game gets some kind of patch for PS5 to finally fix it. Apparently Sony wants to remake The Last of Us again but the crown jewel of the PS4 library can't even get a patch? Weird priorities.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently Sony wants to remake The Last of Us again

Go read better.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the problem with CP2077 on last gen consoles was they developed it for high-end PCs and then only realised too late that scaling things down to work on base PS4/XBO was way harder than they expected (and management didn't care of course and pushed it out anyway) & their asset streaming tech especially just wasn't functional on the last gen consoles

really don't see From making that same mistake - it's been in development since early 2017 targeting last-gen consoles & they've never been interested in really pushing hardware to its limits or anything, and the trailer doesn't give any indication of that. it looks like their previous work, just a bit prettier, so it's easy to see how it could run fine on last-gen consoles without losing that much. very possible there are technical issues like Blighttown or Bloodborne's frame issues but i don't expect anything like CP2077 lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If Witcher 3 can be playable on the Switch then a playable version of Cyberpunk should be possible on the XBO PS4, but the problem was they didn't have time and management rushed it out the door on top of all the crunch time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SUNKOS posted:

I hope Elden Ring doesn't have the frame-pacing issues that plague Bloodborne. I also hope that game gets some kind of patch for PS5 to finally fix it. Apparently Sony wants to remake The Last of Us again but the crown jewel of the PS4 library can't even get a patch? Weird priorities.

There hasn't been a Last of Us remake.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The United States posted:

If Witcher 3 can be playable on the Switch then a playable version of Cyberpunk should be possible on the XBO PS4, but the problem was they didn't have time and management rushed it out the door on top of all the crunch time.

Witcher 3 on Switch often does some real stretching on the definition of playable, both in terms of performance and looking like visual soup so I'm not sure that's quite the analogy we want there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Witcher 3 works fine on Switch, you should see Ark or Outer Worlds Switch.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ark still doesn't run well on PCs after eight years or whatever it's been so that's a hard pass for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I hope to see some of Obsidian’s Avowed at today’s XBOX event.

It’s supposed to be a Skyrim-style game in the Pillars setting.