Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Microsoft is tomorrow at 10am PDT. Nintendo is Tuesday at 9am PDT. Sony isn't part of E3 so they have nothing scheduled at the moment.

Huh, I could have sworn they did some E3 stuff in at least a few previous years. Nevermind them then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

They have, but they apparently don’t have anything to show this year so they’re abstaining.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sony still do presentations, they just don't bother with E3 anymore. They'll probably have a State of Play later this summer.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/skyerocket/status/1404230177492770817

>:(

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic Tasteful Muted Undertones

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh no it's SADX all over again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, so it’s the SADX style of graphical update. That sucks

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can see that exact moment near the end of this video, around 1:08:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uGQYxUm-yY

They've literally picked the one frame that makes it look super dark, it looks just fine in motion.

E: Asteroid Coaster footage as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P758rgleQ5Y

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 14, 2021

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Having never played this, nor really any 3d Sonics beyond Heroes or whichever I returned to Game because it was bobbins, this makes me feel sad and old and old and sad.

I want my sideways jumpmans :okboomer:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sonic Colors was a p good time. Felt like the first legitimately good Sonic game in quite some time when it came out. I’m looking forward to messing with it again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Flint_Paper posted:

Having never played this, nor really any 3d Sonics beyond Heroes or whichever I returned to Game because it was bobbins, this makes me feel sad and old and old and sad.

I want my sideways jumpmans :okboomer:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It is odd they didn’t bother with a Mania follow-up. Even a cynical sequel that had none of the original devs that made it work in the first place.

I guess credit for not milking the idea to death.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pants Donkey posted:

It is odd they didn’t bother with a Mania follow-up. Even a cynical sequel that had none of the original devs that made it work in the first place.

It's probably because Sonic Team got super jealous and would look even worse if a Baka Gaijin development group kept outshining them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Speaking of, are the devs behind Mania actually working on anything currently (even if it’s not Sonic related)?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
one of them was working on a project called vertebreaker or some other pun name. it was a skeleton with a whip

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

What Whitehead and others are currently working on is not officially known. Iizuka mentioned Whitehead by name in this recent interview with GI so that seems a little telling to me.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2021/06/13/sonic-team-head-talks-sonic-origins-next-mainline-game-and-30th-anniversary

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baggot posted:

What Whitehead and others are currently working on is not officially known. Iizuka mentioned Whitehead by name in this recent interview with GI so that seems a little telling to me.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2021/06/13/sonic-team-head-talks-sonic-origins-next-mainline-game-and-30th-anniversary

I assume it isn’t Rangers since 3D games don’t really seem to be in their wheelhouse but that gives me some hope at least (maybe they’re involved with the Origins Collection or something)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

It's probably because Sonic Team got super jealous and would look even worse if a Baka Gaijin development group kept outshining them.

:raise:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

I assume it isn’t Rangers since 3D games don’t really seem to be in their wheelhouse but that gives me some hope at least (maybe they’re involved with the Origins Collection or something)

No, to be clear I kind of infer that this means Whitehead and collaborators are working on something else that hasn't been announced yet. Or maybe they're working on the Origins Collection but I kind of don't think that's the case. They're definitely not involved with Rangers, which is being made by Sonic Team.

ArfJason posted:

one of them was working on a project called vertebreaker or some other pun name. it was a skeleton with a whip

This was Simon Thomley's company, Headcannon. It had a Kickstarter that failed and I'm not sure if it's being actively worked on anymore.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

I give no credit because I honestly would rather they milk and idea that worked to death for once since post S3&K. "We don't want to do the same thing twice / every game should have a new gimmick" is respectable when you have more hits the misses, like Zelda or Kirby, or 3D Mario.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wouldn’t the exact same thing, and as I have said many times, a 2D Sonic game with Hesse’s art used for the sprites would be a dream. Think Rayman Origins/Legends for the graphical look.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, yeah, it'd be great if they just made good games with cool ideas, but they don't really seem capable of that.

My point is more that maybe they should just try to make "the exact same thing" for once and maybe end up with something samey but kinda good rather then trying a new gimmick and failing hard for the dozenth time.

Like, Generations 2 probably would have been better then just about anything that's come out since that wasn't Mania, and honestly, Mania is kind of almost a Generations 2, but done more authentically?

I don't even think a Mania 2 would necessarily have to be super samey. They just don't need to change the formula a whole ton or introduce a big gimmick. Sonic 1/2/CD/3&K level of similarness.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oxyclean posted:

I don't even think a Mania 2 would necessarily have to be super samey. ... Sonic 1/2/CD/3&K level of similarness.

I think these two statements are at odds with each other.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

I think these two statements are at odds with each other.
I mean, I don't really see people complain "Well, S3&K was good, but gosh it was just too similar to Sonic 2"

SA1 and 2 is probably another good example. SA2 is kind of samey to SA1; hell, it even drops game modes and adventure fields, but it seems to be one of the better regarded 3D entries.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Sonic Mania now exists as music to use in other Sonic IP promotional videos.

Studiopolos slaps. Here's footage of Sonic Runners Heroes set to it for no reason.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Sonic Mania now exists as music to use in other Sonic IP promotional videos.

Studiopolos slaps. Here's footage of Sonic Runners Heroes set to it for no reason.

Oh thank god, they’ve been using Splash Hill Zone from Sonic 4 nonstop because they’re too cheap to license Dreams Come True for any of the actual Sonic 1 and 2 music. And of course they won’t touch Sonic 3.

If SEGA had gotten the rights to the music then we wouldn’t have Sonic Spinball’s Options music being replaced at the last second with the most painful megadrive music since crazy bus, and all that Sonic-esque music made for LEGO Dimensions.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
They should just be using Toxic Caves for everything :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IHNjoYvM28

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hey Sega, just make this game! Dummies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepEYRyzQjU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

except, like, actually fun to play

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The whole thing about Sonic Team and/or Sega management seems to be an attitude of wanting to capture lightning in a bottle (again?) instead of just producing quality sequels.

If they announced and made an Adventure 3, a Generations 2 and a Mania 2 over the last five years they'd probably have profited nicely and built their brand up. Replicate what was done, keep it basic, add new levels with a few new tweaks. But none would be smash hits, and they seem to want a big hit to redefine Sonic. To redeem the brand in an instant after years of... Well basically doing what they're doing.

Or, failing that, they're insane.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Forces, a formulaic game in a style they'd done three times previously and improved upon with each attempt, took them four years to release and was the worst game in that style. I don't know why people think simply mimicking their old games is a thing they're even capable of.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also merely just calling a game Adventure 3 or Generations 2 does not automatically make it good (look at Sonic 4 for example)

Plus for all intents and purposes an SA3 already exists, we call it Sonic 06 (or Unleashed to a slightly lesser extent which is called Sonic World Adventure in Japan)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sonic 4 isn't really a serious attempt at making a sequel to Sonic 3.

Mania is a serious attempt (and a success, but point stands). Sonic 4 isn't.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Forces, a formulaic game in a style they'd done three times previously and improved upon with each attempt, took them four years to release and was the worst game in that style. I don't know why people think simply mimicking their old games is a thing they're even capable of.
Oh no, I think they're insane at this point. But it's nice to say it with a facade of initial optimism.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

just play srb2 and sonic gt everyone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'll pass because while SRB2 is pretty impressive I also think it plays like rear end

so you know, like a sonic game

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It has a learning curve. Like a sonic game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's good and fun, like a sonic game

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches