Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Pepto bismo tablets. Getting the shits or having an upset stomach on the trail is not fun. It can make the difference between feeling like wasting the day in your tent in the fetal position or hiking to your next site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The op mentioned he was doing short day hikes. With kids, so probably not off the beaten trail or too far from civilization. In that case your biggest concern is the ol’ slip-trip-fall.

I’m a big fan of ORS packets. Especially for kids—they just never drink enough water. A few of those fit nicely into one of those tiny pockets all backpacks seem to have.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Anybody have any experience restoring the water-resistance of a softshell jacket? I have a Rab Sawtooth hoodie I bought years ago which just completely soaks up even a light sprinkle of rain these days. I was thinking of trying the nikwax softshell-specific wash-in product but I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Blackhawk posted:

Anybody have any experience restoring the water-resistance of a softshell jacket? I have a Rab Sawtooth hoodie I bought years ago which just completely soaks up even a light sprinkle of rain these days. I was thinking of trying the nikwax softshell-specific wash-in product but I'm not sure how effective it will be.

Nikwax stuff is pretty good and effective but it never feels like when the garment was new. I'm not exactly sure what they used in the factory because it's always better than you can apply yourself. I prefer the wash in vs the spray on. Also, soft shells never seem to be very water repellant even when treated.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Verman posted:

Nikwax stuff is pretty good and effective but it never feels like when the garment was new. I'm not exactly sure what they used in the factory because it's always better than you can apply yourself. I prefer the wash in vs the spray on. Also, soft shells never seem to be very water repellant even when treated.

Agreed. Tho I found the Nikwax more than adequate to keep a 22 year old TNF Mountain Light plenty water repellent while framing a few years back.

I’ve used just about every product that claims to rejuvenate jackets and tents and for the most part, they’re all very similar (tho some seemed to leave a different “finish” on fabrics). I’d say as long as it’s at least a semi reputable company you’ll be fine.

That said, Verman is right. It’s never like new again.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Thanks, I gave the jacket and some pants a wash with Tec Wash first and then used the softshell wash afterwards and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Material definitely feels different afterwards and spraying it with a light mist of water resulted in it just beading up on the surface instead of immediately soaking in like a sponge. So yeah maybe not as good as when it was new but definitely an improvement on what it was when I had just been washing it with regular detergent and good enough for light misty rain conditions (I have a hard shell for anything more than that anyway).

crystalgemini
Nov 8, 2020
Any recommendations for good locally owned camping supply stores in the San Francisco Bay Area?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Not exactly in the area you're thinking of, but the only place off the top of my head is http://www.downworks.com/ In Santa Cruz.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

crystalgemini posted:

Any recommendations for good locally owned camping supply stores in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Sports Basement is a local chain that has some good stuff. They have used gear sales once in a while

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Cannot recommend Sports Basement enough. Excellent selection, great membership perks (10% off every item bought, etc.), and their employees are taken care of well (above-average pay, excellent benefits, etc.). Shop there!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I saw someone post about a waterproof canvas tent on Reddit and was wondering if anyone had more info on them. They claim the canvas should rarely if ever need to be retreated which sounds interesting. Pretty spendy. https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/tents/

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those look heavy. But it'd be awesome to have my own little cabin.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the kind of tent you pick if you're sieging a castle for three months and have servants to carry it and set it up for you.

The one person tent weighs 17.5 pounds. :v:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I broke a the tip of a pole on the rainfly of my huge car camping family tent. Gazelle doesn't have them in stock. I could buy a whole rainfly for $80 but that seems extreme. Is there a universal tent fixing kit or something that might have something like this. Broken tip next to an intact pole for reference.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hdip posted:

I broke a the tip of a pole on the rainfly of my huge car camping family tent. Gazelle doesn't have them in stock. I could buy a whole rainfly for $80 but that seems extreme. Is there a universal tent fixing kit or something that might have something like this. Broken tip next to an intact pole for reference.

Know anyone with a 3d printer? My first thought is to print something to extend what's left of the tip.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I saw someone post about a waterproof canvas tent on Reddit and was wondering if anyone had more info on them. They claim the canvas should rarely if ever need to be retreated which sounds interesting. Pretty spendy. https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/tents/

I picked up one about half price secondhand from someone who'd managed to burn a hole in the floor with a candle or something (which was pretty easy to patch) and I really like it for car camping. Took it out this past memorial day weekend in the miserable chilly rain and it kept me perfectly dry inside, and had plenty of room for friends to hang out. It's been super sturdy and durable, and even though it's big and heavy, I haven't had any trouble setting it up solo.

They seem to be pretty popular with Burners and other folks who are going to be set up in one spot for a while. The 10x10 I've got weighs like 70 pounds, so I would not recommend trying to set up very far from where you parked...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We went car camping for three nights last weekend and our Coleman air mattress was as disappointing as ever and was basically flat ever morning. Is that just life? Is there a better sleeping solution for two adults totaling 400 pounds or so?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hdip posted:

REI may be able to help you out, maybe. I think they do some repairs, but they could also maybe recommend someone local.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Sweet there's an REI near me. Thanks for the tip.

Air mattresses are terrible. These are supposed to be good double mats. Exped MegaMat Duo 10 https://www.rei.com/product/113720/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-pad?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-5889-_-7185-_-NA&avad=7185_e22431d51

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Air mattresses like anything depend on their individual quality and usage. To remain air right, definitely check around your site for rocks, sticks etc that could poke through. Use a ground sheet/for print for your tent. If you're car camping, maybe bring another layer to prove m protect the bottom like a tarp.

Cheap air mattresses can be downright awful and leak constantly but higher quality air mattresses can last a long time. My big Agnes is going on 10 years. I had one small pinhole leak during one trip when I didn't clean my site well enough and was on top of a sharp stick. A little seam grip and it's back to normal and has been leak proof for years.

Car camping/backpacking specific mattresses will be very different as size and weight play a big role. People really like the exped beds but they're pretty spendy.

Also consider separate mattresses.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this thread mainly leans on positive recommendations, but today i have to weigh in on a piece of gear i own and wish that i had never bought. namely, the collapsible plastic cup:

as far as being a cup, it works okay if not great. the baffles don't spontaneously collapse the way you might think which is good, but the small bottom makes it a little unstable on anything but a perfectly flat surface. the material also conducts heat pretty well so if you put boiling water in you'll want to set it down pretty soon, which as said can be tricky. the thing that finally spurred me to :justpost: though is that the plastic absorbs flavors. if you plan to only ever drink coffee out of this thing, that's fine, but if you drink coffee even just once everything you put it in after will also taste of coffee in spite of however much you wash it. aside from being gross, that got me thinking about what else might be leeching in and out of the soft plastic its made from, and what that might mean for my health. it's also a real PITA to clean without using a lot of water (DO NOT put oatmeal in here), and like to hold moisture even after wiping with a cloth. so, bottom line this looks like a cool fancy thing to save space, but i'd strongly recommend passing in favor of a rigid-sided cup that either meshes with your other cook gear or can clip to the outside (my current choice).

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 12, 2021

crystalgemini
Nov 8, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Sports Basement is a local chain that has some good stuff. They have used gear sales once in a while

Senf posted:

Cannot recommend Sports Basement enough. Excellent selection, great membership perks (10% off every item bought, etc.), and their employees are taken care of well (above-average pay, excellent benefits, etc.). Shop there!

Awesome! Businesses treating their staff properly is a big sticking point for me especially after the last year and a half. Will definitely check them out! Thanks!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those collapsible cups & bowls aren't super durable either, and they're surprisingly heavy if you're counting every ounce in your pack. I do like them for certain things though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I dropped money on a titanium mug a while ago that nests neatly inside my cookout with my stove and a lighter and I have been nothing but pleased. Except when I burn my lips.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The space saving aspect of collapsible containers uh, breaks down when you realize you can just put stuff inside a normal cup when you pack

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I could see them being good dog bowls. The canvas one I have gets soggy during the trip and can get a little gross.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

yeah i have a collapsible dog bowl and its held up pretty well over time. tbh though I just hook it to the outside of my pack in between water breaks so it doesn't really need to be collapsible

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a silicone water bottle that I keep stashed in my car's center armrest, can verify, these things are garbage for anything other than water.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

At what point should you switch from a large day pack to a small backpack? I’m doing fairly long day hikes in hot or high areas and will need to carry a fair amount of water and gear for others. I have a 20L bag that isn’t sufficient. I think I need around 40L, so I’m stuck between something like the REI trail 40 or a REI flash 55. I don’t plan on using it for travel or longer hikes.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^ I have a 32L Gregory Miwok pack that is amazing.

smackfu posted:

We went car camping for three nights last weekend and our Coleman air mattress was as disappointing as ever and was basically flat ever morning. Is that just life? Is there a better sleeping solution for two adults totaling 400 pounds or so?

I love my Exped Megamat for solo camping (and also for throwing out another twin bed when our friends visit with kids), but when I’m sharing my tent with my wife we have an REI Kingdom queen insulated mattress. The first night we used it I over filled it a bit because I expected some leakage but the next night I deflated it a bit because it was still too firm. If you’re an REI member and have one nearby you might find one in their garage sale stuff, there were a few in my local for $50-70 earlier this year, but they’re about $150 retail.

My other regular camping companion has one of those Coleman mattresses you buy when you really want the in laws to start paying for hotel rooms when they visit and it sucks.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 12, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

At what point should you switch from a large day pack to a small backpack? I’m doing fairly long day hikes in hot or high areas and will need to carry a fair amount of water and gear for others. I have a 20L bag that isn’t sufficient. I think I need around 40L, so I’m stuck between something like the REI trail 40 or a REI flash 55. I don’t plan on using it for travel or longer hikes.

I can't imagine needing more than 40l, but I guess it depends on how much you're carrying for other people. Something closer to 30l is probably plenty.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Somewhere in the 30-40L size should suffice, it all depends on the pack. Some are better at expanding and compressing, have better external pockets and lashing points etc. I would say for that size pack, start looking at models with nice shoulder straps and hip belts. That size can get really heavy really quick for the size and given it's a smaller footprint on your back and shoulders can feel heavier than a big pack. You'll want some kind of frame/rigidity and hip belt. It doesn't have to be super robust aluminum etc but just something. Even my lightest of day packs have hip belts and it's really nice especially when scrambling or ducking under trees just try help stay in place and disperse the load between my shoulders and hips.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You can literally never have too many backpacks go for it dude.

I like the stratos 34 for a heavy day pack.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I spotted a Miwok 20 on REI Outlet early in the spring sale for ~$45 after coupon and didn’t pull the trigger right away. That was dumb because 2 days later it was gone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

evilpicard posted:

You can literally never have too many backpacks go for it dude.

:hmmyes:

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Last year I really got attached to my Flex Capacitor 25-40l. It bridges that size gap well, but really just like it because it fits me like a glove.

https://sierradesigns.com/flex-capacitor-25-40/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I do really like those collapsible bowls for car camping, for the express purpose of a large but packable sink to do the dishes in, eg something like this. The footprint is great for packing into the kitchen bin, though I’m sure a properly nested hard side plastic bin would be even better.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have like 10 different backpacks of all sizes and I want more. I use like.... 2 of them.

I have a weird backpack addiction. And I never use them nor have a reason to.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I mean at a minimum you need a speed bag, summit bag, day bag, backpacking bag and expedition bag.

I have about 7 total right now, just need a couple more and I'll be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have like 10 different backpacks of all sizes and I want more. I use like.... 2 of them.

I have a weird backpack addiction. And I never use them nor have a reason to.

Same. My most used one is a 10 year old REI Flash 18, followed by a free one I got from Costco.