Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Alkydere posted:

Tonight's Amazon rant:

It is June in Texas.
Our building has 7 massive A/C units.
Only 2 of them are functional.

It's loving bad if you're in the wrong part of the building. I can't imagine how miserable it is for day shift. People are regularly going down to AMCARE to be given ice packs and electrolyte drinks.

It's so bad that management are just telling people to relax and not worry about their rates.

I understand perfectly well why lovely retail chains refuse to pay to fix the A/C in their stores. I don't understand at all why Amazon with its mountains of cash refuses to. The lost productivity from workers past or on the border of heatstroke has to dwarf the cost of fixing the air conditioning, and unlike 98% of corporate America, Amazon has gotten to where it is today (the cusp of total world domination) by being the ultra rare company that actually thinks long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I understand perfectly well why lovely retail chains refuse to pay to fix the A/C in their stores. I don't understand at all why Amazon with its mountains of cash refuses to. The lost productivity from workers past or on the border of heatstroke has to dwarf the cost of fixing the air conditioning, and unlike 98% of corporate America, Amazon has gotten to where it is today (the cusp of total world domination) by being the ultra rare company that actually thinks long term.

I'm pretty sure that the A/C repairs are at the top of the to-do list because as you said Amazon does actually think in the long term. It's just been a poo poo-show of one thing after another these last few months. Mainly right now we've been in the middle of some actual scheduled repairs/downtime, and those things are usually planned weeks if not months in advance to hopefully have the facility down as shortly as possible. So facilities has been busy, and it's been actually okay right up until this week where it was the first week that we didn't have thunderstorms cooling things off nearly every night and day.

Oh and it doesn't help that due to COVID we had all the front doors open so people could walk in without touching them...and now half the doors are rusted open after nearly a year like that. So we've got hot air blasting in if you work anywhere near the entrance.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Leal posted:

I'll continue wearing my mask out of loving spite

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Companies like Apple have so much money they literally can't spend it and they still choose to do stupid poo poo with it rather than raise pay so the reason is 'gently caress you'.

But honestly the people in the middle of the chain ( warehouses, lower corporate management ) don't really think about the meta number and just go 'oh man that's an expense'

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leal posted:

I'll continue wearing my mask out of loving spite

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My store seems to have acknowledged that our customers are assholes that all wait until 8/9 pm to come in and now I have to work an extra hour. By that I mean I get to take an extra half an hour of lunch and get paid an extra half hour, and considering my usual shifts are 7 and a half hours I don't get a penny of OT.

I lose 1 hour of freedom for 7 bucks.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Army recruiters stalking the aisles of our store. Kinda want to tell them about the likelihood of ptsd, sexual assault, suicide in the military etc

I can't hate them for being young and dumb but I feel patriotically obligated to tell them to get out of the military :patriot:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 12, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

Army recruiters stalking the aisles of our store. Kinda want to tell them about the likelihood of ptsd, sexual assault, suicide in the military etc

I can't hate them for being young and dumb but I feel patriotically obligated to tell them to get out of the military :patriot:

The first two weeks of being in the military should involve working Black Friday or back to school in retail.

Or any time during covid.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Companies like Apple have so much money they literally can't spend it and they still choose to do stupid poo poo with it rather than raise pay so the reason is 'gently caress you'.

But honestly the people in the middle of the chain ( warehouses, lower corporate management ) don't really think about the meta number and just go 'oh man that's an expense'
My boss is a former middle manager for goodwill and she honest to god thinks that the reason CVS doesn't hire more people is because they aren't allowed to make more money, and if we just let them raise the margins on everything then they'd hire more staff. :psyduck:

She also thinks that pharmaceuticals companies aren't getting lobbyists to write laws for them when her boss straight up comes in and starts telling us about all the times he's had to go in front of the house/senate and poo poo on these lobbyists for trying to get policies passed that will make everything worse for everyone but CEOs. :psypop:

It's amazing how boomers can look at this poo poo and go "hmmm, the problem here is clearly not enough crony capitalism!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

The first two weeks of being in the military should involve working Black Friday or back to school in retail.

You know how some countries will require enlistment after graduation? They should do that but you have to work retail for 2 years.

So even though they are scheduling us one extra hour (that is, half an hour extra of work and half an hour extra lunch) to have people in the department when the 8/9/10 pm rushes happen, they still scheduled the first closer an hour earlier. So the guy loving left right when the 8 rush happened. It was loving surreal stepping out of the back with him and saying goodbye and seeing 20 people in the department when 5 minutes ago it was empty. Oh and today the loving truck showed up late so I had to break it down on top of closing

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Leal posted:

You know how some countries will require enlistment after graduation? They should do that but you have to work retail for 2 years.
This but also everyone on the board of directors for LSO's should have to do one shift of a month in the bottom tier gig of their company. 10 hour shift getting poo poo on, no breaks and pissing in bottles. The full treatment.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cowslips Warren posted:

mandatory retail enlistment when

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rainbow Knight posted:

But enough about retail.

Or the United States Postal Service. :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Star Man posted:

But enough about retail.

Or the United States Postal Service. :smith:

I'm very, very sorry that Prime Day Week is in a week.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
https://twitter.com/ItsBeardoWeirdo/status/1403745678585651203?s=20

All the replies are just retail thread abridged poo poo. Good times.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Extra hilarious because if anything merely twice as long was an underestimate. Brooks' Law would very much apply even if the DM were competent. Which, if he were competent, he would know.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsBeardoWeirdo/status/1403745678585651203?s=20

All the replies are just retail thread abridged poo poo. Good times.

that's just a wierdo question. wouldn't what you want to know be "what step takes you the longest?" or "what are the most common inventory fuckup you see"? what manager wants to help sit their and help their underlings through their workflow?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It was a threat, not a question.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was a threat, not a question.

i guess the food service industry hasn't prepared me for the oblique threats of the retail industry, i would have just been told "you need to do it faster you little gently caress"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Oh and today the loving truck showed up late so I had to break it down on top of closing

So yeah, this? Today I come in to the third manager giving me a message which is that I need to do a better job closing. I said I had to break down the load just for this loving jackass to cut me off with "5 pallets aint poo poo", as if he A: Even loving worked yesterday and knows what happened and B: Has ever actually closed before. gently caress this place

When I am leaving the store for the night and there is this many people in the loving parking lot, and the store is gonna be open another 3 hours, and the cashiers told me about how its non stop all the way until midnight? How the gently caress do you expect a full floor? There is nothing I can do about these loving tweakers waiting till 11 pm to shop for the entire week.

My plan is to quit next year, but my god I don't know if I can last this long if this loving guy is gonna act like I'm not doing poo poo all loving summer when our drat customers want to wait until midnight to empty the loving department.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

our store management is now twigging onto the fact that we are usually busier, lately, at 10pm than we are at 4pm (pre-covid peak time) but I'm sure it'll take another few years to convince regional leadership, and by then it'll be different again we'll be out of business

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So I've finally reached the point that when people ask me what I do I straight up tell them "No one knows."

"What?" "But this is Amazon?" "How do they keep you on payroll?" and other such questions pop up.

"Oh, that." I explain. "My job is to keep this massive football-field length sorting system running. No one on this shift but the two people I've trained that are still here know how I do it though. There's also people that cover for me while I'm on break that know how to fake it for half an hour, but besides those two people that basically exist to cover when I take time off no one knows all of what I do. I've actually tried to explain it but it's actually a mixture of a couple dozen tiny little things and everyone's eyes glaze over. Management just knows the system runs when I'm here and if I walked off it would come to a screeching halt within half an hour. So I basically stand here and read books."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So you're a mechromancer?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Have you tried not giving a poo poo? It's awesome.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Have you tried not giving a poo poo? It's awesome.
Easier said than done. I did the same for a good year closing, smashing out 30 pallets a night and copping nothing but heat from the lazy cunts that clocked on in the morning.
I spent loving ages thinking I'm loving up somewhere I can't get everything done satisfactorily and that while I don't see it, the morning crew with the SM must be putting out their own fires all the time.

Eventually I got rotated to mornings and discovered the truth. All the department managers would clock on before their teams and spend an hour wandering the store and poo poo talking night fill. Then after that hour long walk it was 30minute standup meeting with the team.
The morning meeting is done and they'd retire to the office to have a managers' meeting, which basically was just poo poo talking night fill before they'd break for lunch. Meanwhile they've got me in on all these meets because they want to train me up but I'm only on a 5 hour shift and I'm 4 hours in without doing anything.

It was pretty eye opening. Now I work a real job where I accomplish half as much, get paid double and still have time on the side to work casual retail once a week so I never get nostalgic.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As someone who worked 3rds for 20 years, first shift is goddamn useless. Everywhere I worked, 1st shift consisted of management and all the lazy-rear end old people who had been there forever. Management always listened to them rather than us because they were in proximity to then constantly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All the retail lifers want first shift because first shift doesn't do anything and everything is always second shift's fault. It's a universal law of retail.

You've got to stop giving a poo poo. Second shift retail will destroy you otherwise.

The biggest mistake you can ever make is to work hard. Ever. Bust your rear end just once and management will notice and make that your personal baseline expectation for every minute you're on the clock.

Leal, your best play, if possible, is to make a lateral jump to a different lovely retail job, and this time don't ever make the life-destroying mistake of working hard. Just go 24/7 Chill Mode. You will still vastly outwork 95% of your co"workers".

The one thing above all other things that retail management is hyper vigilant about is identifying the 5% of people who have an innate need to work as hard as they can, and pitilessly, mercilessly exploit them to make them do pretty much all of the work. The person that does all the work is also the person that gets poo poo on and bullied by management. If this is you, find another job where you now know better than to be that person.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 14, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't give a gently caress about the company and trying to work harder, what I am giving a gently caress about is being taken to the side for these conversations all the loving time. Its one thing to get a note that says "try harder", its another thing when you clock in for your indentured servitude and can't even loving do that cause you need to be pulled to the side and have comments made about you by the bosses loving brother in law.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

We all just say, "you're right you should just transfer me out then." Once they realize they can't rattle us with whiny bullshit they leave us alone. they hate confrontation in the first place, let alone confrontation with someone who knows they're useless gently caress ups who can't run their own department or store

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

I don't give a gently caress about the company and trying to work harder, what I am giving a gently caress about is being taken to the side for these conversations all the loving time. Its one thing to get a note that says "try harder", its another thing when you clock in for your indentured servitude and can't even loving do that cause you need to be pulled to the side and have comments made about you by the bosses loving brother in law.

Are you a woman? I'm just curious because this seems like the kind of patronizing poo poo that is over the top for someone who obviously knows what they're doing, but if you identify as a woman it totally makes sense.

Retail is a much more sexist industry than people think it is.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Me, leaving store at 3pm, to MOD closing solo for first time: "Don't lock your keys in the cash office like <supervisor who did this exact thing 2 months ago>"

3 hours later:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Are you a woman? I'm just curious because this seems like the kind of patronizing poo poo that is over the top for someone who obviously knows what they're doing, but if you identify as a woman it totally makes sense.

Retail is a much more sexist industry than people think it is.

I think this particular thing happens to guys just as often but you are of course extremely right.

There used to be a couple Starbucks goons in this thread, they were cool and I really hope they stopped posting because they found better jobs. Starbucks is horrific, both in general and in misogyny.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Pretty sure locking your keys in the office is a duty manager rite of passage.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

i thought of you thread

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

So I've finally reached the point that when people ask me what I do I straight up tell them "No one knows."

"What?" "But this is Amazon?" "How do they keep you on payroll?" and other such questions pop up.

"Oh, that." I explain. "My job is to keep this massive football-field length sorting system running. No one on this shift but the two people I've trained that are still here know how I do it though. There's also people that cover for me while I'm on break that know how to fake it for half an hour, but besides those two people that basically exist to cover when I take time off no one knows all of what I do. I've actually tried to explain it but it's actually a mixture of a couple dozen tiny little things and everyone's eyes glaze over. Management just knows the system runs when I'm here and if I walked off it would come to a screeching halt within half an hour. So I basically stand here and read books."

Your job can be described as "stand next to the machine so that it stops acting up now that there's a second person to see it"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Site Reliability Engineer

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think this particular thing happens to guys just as often but you are of course extremely right.

There used to be a couple Starbucks goons in this thread, they were cool and I really hope they stopped posting because they found better jobs. Starbucks is horrific, both in general and in misogyny.

Hi, former Starbucks goon reporting in. I'm still alive, and have actually gotten a job that I (mostly) really love and enjoy. I'll post more when I'm not on my phone in the office, but I'm still alive. Eric, I'm sorry I kinda vanished. It's been... It's been a hell of a year for me, not just from pandemic poo poo but personal as well.

You guys are wonderful, and you deserve the world.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Your job can be described as "stand next to the machine so that it stops acting up now that there's a second person to see it"

I've also become "Mr. Grumpy" over the company text chat because people don't pay attention to said machine, which is my literal job to do. My favorite:
Me: Hey [department], divert X is blue-lit (the light that comes on when line is full) could you take care of that?
Department: Nah it's cool, this stuff isn't due out the building until next shift.
Me: That's nice. It's due off the line now. You're blocking other departments work from getting to them.

If I don't see them respond I then let the system come to a screeching halt.
Me: [department] did you get the work off of the line?

I've only had to do that once.

spankmeister posted:

Site Reliability Engineer

I've told people "I'm the sacrifice for the building: the most important machine in it is powered by my ennui."

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 14, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Hi, former Starbucks goon reporting in. I'm still alive, and have actually gotten a job that I (mostly) really love and enjoy. I'll post more when I'm not on my phone in the office, but I'm still alive. Eric, I'm sorry I kinda vanished. It's been... It's been a hell of a year for me, not just from pandemic poo poo but personal as well.

You guys are wonderful, and you deserve the world.

:iia: so great to hear you're alive and, better yet, out of retail!