Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s maybe my current favorite TV character right nowZ Straight up incredible and insane haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Starr is an amazing actor. It's so goddamn weird to be like "I LOVE YOUR ACTING MAN IT'S AMAZING AND HEARTFELT AND AT THE SAME TIME HOLY gently caress YOU ARE TERRIFYING AND SCARY". It's like he doesn't just have issues, he has news stands.

Like, the character I actually feel bad for at times, but at the same time he's also such a gigantic prick/ homocidal/genocidal maniac that is so powerful he could literally kill the entire human race, and it's such a trip to bounce between those 2 emotions while watching the show. Starr did a hell of a job pulling off that performance. Plus he's somewhat skinny/slim and kinda short compared to the character so seeing him out of costume is a bit of a trip when he's around other cast members.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

He’s been out. You could’ve also ordered him from the target site.

But he seems to be sold out. Maybe there will be one in your area.

https://www.target.com/p/the-thing-7-34-scale-action-figure-ultimate-macready-outpost-31/-/A-82074179

God loving damnit.

Anyone wanna help hook a goon up?

Edit— found one in the Target app, it’s a bit out of the way from where I was going this weekend but oh well. Here’s hoping they don’t gently caress up the pickup order!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 11, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just keep checking targets. They’re out there.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

He’s maybe my current favorite TV character right nowZ Straight up incredible and insane haha.

Ha, same now that Shameless is over. Mine was Frank Gallagher, but now has to be Homelander. I don't know what it is about reprehensible characters, but when done well they're the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I think I have said this before, but Homelander is such a terrifying and generally off-putting character that I would feel a little uneasy having a miniature one on my shelf. All due credit to the brilliant actor and creative team on that show, for presenting such a truly, deeply upsetting character that I don't want the action figure.

Homelander? No no, that's Lucas Hood in a Halloween costume.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I need to stop looking at Hot Toys… there are way too many that look good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Masterverse line is BIG

But only the first two waves are slated to be Revelations. So it's unlikely we'd get the whole lineup in this scale/style. Which is a shame because I am loving what we're seeing so far.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

looks like a himbofication sequence

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sooper Gila posted:

Bib Fortuna's a must buy for me, he's on my dream list alongside a black series Lobot, Porkins, Biggs, all the AOTC jedi etc. My spouse has all the original rogue one releases but will probably want the new molds. I'm still surprised we've seen so few cantina aliens and ewoks in black series though...

I dont know how true it is, but there's the internet rumor that all background aliens and smaller roles like Porkins, Biggs and such from the OT are off the table for future figures. They don't have the likeness rights and making some of them as figures could open a can of worms.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I dont know how true it is, but there's the internet rumor that all background aliens and smaller roles like Porkins, Biggs and such from the OT are off the table for future figures. They don't have the likeness rights and making some of them as figures could open a can of worms.

So they didn’t secure the likeness rights in perpetuity? Because all of those characters have gotten figures in the past.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah that rumor is completely bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah in fact Star Wars is rather well known for locking up those rights forever, and especially in the OT era contracts not even giving a percentage.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Bib Fortuna and Lobot are two of the figures YakFace has indicated are coming to TBS eventually and that dude is never wrong, so I’m not sure that rumor is accurate.

I mean, we got Dak with the Snowspeeder last year.

Dak.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looking around a bit it looks like a lot of extrapolation from Hasbro saying they won't do the Tonnika Sisters for legal reasons since one of the actresses won't sign without negotiating.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Basically the story is, when they made the first couple Star Wars movies they secured likeness rights for main actors or people with at least speaking roles in the movies, but they didn’t go around getting contracts written up for background extras or random soldiers, because why the gently caress would they? Nobody makes merchandise of background extras.

Then when Star Wars grew to the merchandising juggernaut it is now, they realized their mistake and nobody can get near a Star Wars set anymore without signing their face away forever. A handful of people who had roles in the original trilogy are still kind of in licensing limbo; Hasbro or whoever can basically get away with making toys of like a random rebel soldier if they just call him “rebel soldier” but if they say it’s a named character with a backstory they might need to actually pay the actor, or their estate in some cases. If anyone actually wants to negotiate it could very quickly become not worth their time, especially since, if anyone actually gets any real money out of them, that sets a precedent for other people who were in Star Wars for 3 seconds to exploit. There’s really only a handful of characters potentially affected by this, like nobody in a mask or helmet has any grounds, but there are some dudes we might never get toys of due to this.

And yeah it started with the “Tonnika Sisters” (non-alien extras from the cantina) after their photo showed up in a trading card game and they said “hey we didn’t authorize that” and Lucasfilm said “oh poo poo, that’s actually true!”

This all might be bullshit for all I know, but that’s the story…

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How are Play Arts Kai FF7R Cloud and Barret? They're currently on sale on Square Enix's site? They're closer to 12" scale, right?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How are Play Arts Kai FF7R Cloud and Barret? They're currently on sale on Square Enix's site? They're closer to 12" scale, right?

I was just posting about those guys earlier. I posted a few pictures too. They're great. They're about 10" tall so they don't really scale well with 12" or most other figures, but they are way more detailed than 6" figures and pretty solidly built.

With Cloud I advise putting his hands in warm water for a few minutes before you try swapping them out or putting the sword in his hand, because they are made of very hard plastic and have a little trouble fitting. You're likely to damage the figure if you don't warm the hands up first. That's basically my only gripe. I didn't have any issues swapping parts on Barret, or Tifa.

I had Aerith and Sephiroth still on preorder, and I just went and put in orders for Jessie and Red XIII as well. I'm very much enjoying this toy line. Again, even as somebody who never really got into FF games. They're beautiful figures and lots of fun to pose and display.

EDIT:
Bonus picture of Barret!

I ended up using a tiny bit of tacky glue to attach the sunglasses to that hand; the hand is meant to hold the sunglasses but they just slot in with this tiny, tiny peg that goes between his thumb and forefinger, and they fall out pretty easily. Almost lost them a couple times already. Also I did have a little trouble putting that hand on as well. But anyway this figure is great, maybe the best of them, certainly the biggest. He has ball joints at the top and bottom of his neck so you can get really good poses.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 12, 2021

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

So did I miss the boat on Tifa? I’m guessing I should just wait for a reissue because I can’t find anything other than re-sellers. Or maybe she was always that expensive. Anyway, she’s the only one I want but I figure patience is the way to go. Maybe by the time of a re-release the old ones will devalue? Am I deluding myself?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Bulgaroctonus posted:

So did I miss the boat on Tifa? I’m guessing I should just wait for a reissue because I can’t find anything other than re-sellers. Or maybe she was always that expensive. Anyway, she’s the only one I want but I figure patience is the way to go. Maybe by the time of a re-release the old ones will devalue? Am I deluding myself?

Still shows in stock on AmiAmi, which is where I bought her. Ended up cheaper than BBTS, and the DHL shipping is blazing fast. Also direct sales from Japan didn't seem to have QC issues with the face. I think there was a discount for preordering that shaved about $15 off for me, but you're still not looking at eBay prices... (Current price = appx. $148.45 USD, it says in the fine print. About as good a price as you'll find, I think.)

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-058008

Edit: Cloud and Barret are both marked down under $100 right now, too, that's crazy!

Also, in related news, I just saw this on Twitter:

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 12, 2021

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
The majority of background star wars characters and such were given 3 3/4 figures though in the 2005-15 golden era for that scale. My main man Jek Porkins has had a couple made plus funko pops and lego minifigs. I know there were a few that were missed out on during that period of time but don't recall who they are anymore, mostly duplicate cantina aliens like that other dude from Snaggletooth's species. The Tonnika sisters are a special exception.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

And yeah it started with the “Tonnika Sisters” (non-alien extras from the cantina) after their photo showed up in a trading card game and they said “hey we didn’t authorize that” and Lucasfilm said “oh poo poo, that’s actually true!”

This all might be bullshit for all I know, but that’s the story…

Victoria from Vicscantina has interviewed the surviving Tonnika sister Angela Staines a few times in recent years for various podcasts about all this. Apparently Scott Nietlich has recently been spreading lies and disinformation about the Tonnika Sisters/Star Wars action figure licensing rights on youtube, so she put up a video a few weeks ago with excerpts from Staines herself explaining what actually happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9jdvmivV8

Long story short if anyone can't watch the video but wants to know, The Tonnika sisters weren't extras, they were actually personally cast by Lucas himself and as such signed all the licensing release forms and such at the time. At some point Lucasfilm lost this paperwork for both of them. In the mid 90s Staines husband had a lawyer send them a letter informally asking for some degree of payment on a few pieces of Tonnika sisters merchandise, it wasn't threatening legal action or such and Lucasfilm simply ignored it and she never heard anything back. Then in 2005 both Tonnika sisters actors were sent a new contract out of the blue, the late Christine Hewitt signed hers but Staines refused for a number of reasons. The things she mentions is she wouldn't be comped merchandise with her likeness at autograph sessions and also there was no guarantee of convention work. She wants to come to some sort of agreement now however and they've made a petition and such to present Disney to get figures made. So hopefully this will get settled, a TVC set of them would be a perfect convention set.

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 12, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They really need to retcon away the fat X-Wing pilot being named "Porkins."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

They really need to retcon away the fat X-Wing pilot being named "Porkins."

They kinda did? His name is still Jek Porkins, but in the newer comics (and the old Dark Horse stuff too iirc) he’s treated as a genuine hero for the trench run and the battles he was in prior to that.

It could be worse, in the old radio drama he was just called Piggy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They kinda did? His name is still Jek Porkins, but in the newer comics (and the old Dark Horse stuff too iirc) he’s treated as a genuine hero for the trench run and the battles he was in prior to that.

It could be worse, in the old radio drama he was just called Piggy.

Fat guy with "pork" in his name is still pretty lovely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the funniest part. He exists only to be fat and explode. A classic GL character

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Still shows in stock on AmiAmi, which is where I bought her. Ended up cheaper than BBTS, and the DHL shipping is blazing fast. Also direct sales from Japan didn't seem to have QC issues with the face. I think there was a discount for preordering that shaved about $15 off for me, but you're still not looking at eBay prices... (Current price = appx. $148.45 USD, it says in the fine print. About as good a price as you'll find, I think.)

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-058008

Edit: Cloud and Barret are both marked down under $100 right now, too, that's crazy!

Also, in related news, I just saw this on Twitter:

poo poo at under $100 I might get that Barret even though I've not played the FFVII remake (played the living hell out of the original though and he's always been one of my favorites)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AmiAmi sold out on Barret but if anyone is still looking they do have a preowned one for about the same price. It says it’s missing washers and bolts which I think are only for the stand?

Solaris Japan has a couple of preowned ones too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The "Collect them all" has a very strange energy on this packaging

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/status/1403719093769760768?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bigfoot vs Indominus Rex

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I picked up the TMNT vs Batman: Donatello and Bat Girl set with zero interest in keeping Batgirl. She is still in the package and secured, by chance is there any Batman collectors interested in her?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Don't forget the pizza slice! Pretty sure that's Donnie's.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Sooper Gila posted:

The majority of background star wars characters and such were given 3 3/4 figures though in the 2005-15 golden era for that scale. My main man Jek Porkins has had a couple made plus funko pops and lego minifigs. I know there were a few that were missed out on during that period of time but don't recall who they are anymore, mostly duplicate cantina aliens like that other dude from Snaggletooth's species. The Tonnika sisters are a special exception.

Yeah, I went through and got all the extra creatures/characters from the Cantina and Jabba's Palace. There were a ton but no need to make more I'd say

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Don't forget the pizza slice! Pretty sure that's Donnie's.

The set came with 2 of them, one for each figure. Post- battle victory slice all around!!!

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Rythe posted:

The set came with 2 of them, one for each figure. Post- battle victory slice all around!!!

Will I get in trouble if I ask in here how much you want for batgirl or do we need to do this via PM? Cause I’m interested! : )

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Will I get in trouble if I ask in here how much you want for batgirl or do we need to do this via PM? Cause I’m interested! : )

You can PM me to keep the thread from getting to crowded

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Made a central Indiana toy run with a friend today. Nabbed two MOTU Classics, Three 200X figures and a Vintage Comet Cat. Got home and my BBTS order was here, wave 5 of Origins, more Eternia minis and my Black Series Kir Kanos (who says Carnor Jax on the box but I guess that's an error).

A good toy day!

Edit: oh but I forgot to mention, while at KT we were talking about vintage toys and reproduction pieces and this random due went THE gently caress OFF on us about it. Had himself a nice mini rant about how people like us ruin collecting for purists. Then he called us beta males and walked away. It was WEIRD.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 13, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got the NECA Macready figure, he’s pretty cool. The likeness on the “regular” head isn’t quite as good as the two hooded heads, but oh well. Right now I’ve got him posed holding the shotgun in one hand and the lantern in the other, as if saying, well, “Who goes there?”

I’ve also got him standing next to the old McFarlane Movie Maniacs Norris spider-head; the scale isn’t quite right, but it’s close enough. I really hope they make some Thing monsters though.

Bit of a shame he doesn’t have a flamethrower though. Makes me wonder if they’re going to do another Mac figure with a flamethrower and make me double-dip, especially since this one has the “(Outpost 31)” descriptor tag on the box for some reason.

Speaking of NECA, I saw their Starlight figure and passed on her. The likeness is good, but $30 is a steep price for an “ultimate” figure that consists of 2 alternate forearms and an alternate head. The box just *looks* empty, especially next to just about any other NECA “ultimate” figure. Either bump up the accessory count, or knock the price down to something reasonable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

Bit of a shame he doesn’t have a flamethrower though. Makes me wonder if they’re going to do another Mac figure with a flamethrower and make me double-dip, especially since this one has the “(Outpost 31)” descriptor tag on the box for some reason.

Maybe they’ll do another Keith David figure and have Childs.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

This may have been mentioned, but for those in the UK, He-Man and Skeletor MOTU Origins figures with the "classic" head design (and new swords) are being released around the 8th July.

He-Man
https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb...figure/p/198605

Skeletor
https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb...figure/p/198606

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a few of the first releases for a display project so hopefully these new releases lead to the originals going to Five Below and Big Lots.