Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Colostomy Bag posted:

In my old age I tend to favor gas stations that aren't a complete clusterfuck trying to get out of in the direction I wish to travel.
Agreed. I only go to that particular station if I'm heading east afterward, since you can just turn right out of it without dealing with several lanes of traffic. Doesn't stop other people from making poor routing choices, though.

Peeve unrelated to the gas station situation I posted:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think some people are just incapable of improvising and problem solving while driving
If more people would understand/accept that making a right, and then finding a good place to turn around instead of making a near-impossible left is an option, the roads would be a better place. Of course that requires a)knowing where you are and where you're going instead of doing everything by rote, b)not turning your brain off and assuming the GPS knows the best way 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Haifisch posted:

Peeve unrelated to the gas station situation I posted:

If more people would understand/accept that making a right, and then finding a good place to turn around instead of making a near-impossible left is an option, the roads would be a better place. Of course that requires a)knowing where you are and where you're going instead of doing everything by rote, b)not turning your brain off and assuming the GPS knows the best way 100% of the time.

The most annoying part of (b) is that those same people have almost certainly hosed up on multiple occasions, so they should know that the GPS will just reroute them, and they can just take the easy exit and let the GPS figure out how to get back to the intended route. Obviously exceptions to be made if there's clearly no useful alternate path that way, but that's rarely the case when we're talking about crowded intersections.

I will say that since the outcry over it a few years ago Waze has gotten a lot better about trying to avoid uncontrolled lefts on to major roads. It used to love to cut through a neighborhood near one of my client sites to avoid a major traffic light but as a result would make me turn left across a 3/1/3 main route to get to the client site on the far side of said route. I have a small car with a turbo and love an excuse to floor it so I didn't mind, but I could see that being problematic for a lot of people.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 10, 2021

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
One of our local McDonalds has several "please consider turning right" signs on the exit from the drive-through. You're still pretty much guaranteed to have to wait 15 to 20 minutes for some numbnuts to make a left onto the busy road during lunch and rush hour.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bonus points if they installed curbs forcing a right...that only provides a minor annoyance for those hellbent on going left.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Stolen from the OSHA thread:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

A true meeting of the minds.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

waffle iron posted:

Now that's what I call weaving!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I love that commitment of the black car. They also ran over a traffic barrel at the end of the clip and damaged the car rather than accept the five minute detour for missing their exit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

waffle iron posted:

lmao this is the top side outer loop of the DC beltway at the 495/270 interchange, just about everyone on that stretch of road is an absolute fuckface and I'm surprised I haven't seen this happen before. Both those cars were about five minutes from an exit where they could turn around, no jack moves were necessary.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 11, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Midjack posted:

lmao this is the top side outer loop of the DC beltway at the 495/270 interchange, just about everyone on that stretch of road is an absolute fuckface and I'm surprised I haven't seen this happen before.

just about everyone on every stretch of road is an absolute fuckface

I don't think i've ever been driving and thought "I can just follow the rules of the road as they're written and feel safe" It's always "each and every one of these fuckers is on the verge of doing something insanely stupid that puts me in danger"

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 11, 2021

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh hey! That's where I almost rear ended the person in front of me and had to make a drastic course correction!

... because my master brake cylinder decided to suddenly be no bueno. So lucky I was in an outside lane, this was in the afternoon on a Friday so pretty packed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Plot twist: he owns a windshield shop

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
He just needs one of those legally meaningless WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGE FROM poo poo FLYING OFF OUR TRUCK stickers and he's set.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

Looks like the back glass is broken too? Or is the just the rain. Because back glass broken plus missing tailgate seems like a loader operator odyssey.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

In some weather conditions, I wouldn't walk a mile to anyplace I was going to be sitting for long. After a mile in a Texas summer, I usually feel like I need a shower.

I bike commute and one time I had to bike from the office (Studio City, CA ... job I had from ‘18 to ‘20) to the subway, a few miles .... but it was 112ºF out.

You can deal with that, if you do it often enough.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
attempting to walk or bike anywhere around here is a death sentence

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Finally spotted the mythical "I need a truck to haul gravel" guy

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Can't tell if those are fresh rock chips or splatted bugs on the photo takers windshield.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Mmmmmm PCBs

https://v.redd.it/mkm1frglhp471

https://v.redd.it/i7e2wfjl8ha61

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

VideoGameVet posted:

I bike commute and one time I had to bike from the office (Studio City, CA ... job I had from ‘18 to ‘20) to the subway, a few miles .... but it was 112ºF out.

You can deal with that, if you do it often enough.

Just absolutely kills me. We're having a god awful heatwave in Minnesota, that many of you would laugh off, and I'm trying to get summer acclimated by riding in it. It's been really rough. 95° definitely isn't too hot for a lot of people to ride in, but when you consider 30° "a nice, warm winter day for a bike ride," a 95° day is killer. I've seen snow on the ground on some of the days we've been over 80 this year for christ's sake.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Right to jail. Right away.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Getting groceries yesterday and the guy to my left is an rear end and gives the car ahead of him approximately 0.002 seconds to advance after the light turns green before honking despite her being something like 4th in line. So guy in a truck is a bit of a jackass and was way too early on the "hey pay attention" toot, who cares?

Lady in the car proceeds to go absolute roadrage. She rolls forward 5 feet then stops for several seconds: blocking not just the truck behind her but everyone behind him. She then rolls up to just past the entrance to the intersection and sit there until the light nearly turns red to try to get the guy stuck waiting for another cycle. Truck pulls through while the light is orange and she's still pulling this poo poo as we're all stuck under the overpass. Truck tries to change lane and she just sits there for several seconds, not giving him the space to get into the next lane over around her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This tunnel came up in the OSHA thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnSgqnCtaxQ

At forty seconds is a car you don’t want to share the road with.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 13, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure everyone else sucks here and not me. There's this road nearby, where the left lane ends up being left turn only, and only for like road crews or other service vehicles. So essentially it ends in the top right corner. But everyone starts queueing in the right lane way too early, and the lane gets backed up to the next traffic light, like it's happening here.

Since there is nothing to indicate you can't use the left lane until the sign I pasted there, I (and a few others) just take the left lane and merge in after the sign. This works well when the traffic is moving at the moment, otherwise, but if everyone is stopped at the light there (at the crosswalk) I have to stop too and hope someone lets me in.

The rules are pretty clear that if a lane is ending, you're supposed to use it until the end and then zipper merge. But what if the lane isn't technically ending? Of course I know this place, but it can't be the expectation that someone from out of town knows to queue in the right lane in advance. What are the thoughts here?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If it's a seldom used turn then it's just bad road design. I agree everyone should queue in both lanes and then merge when the time comes. On the flip side, passing a lot of people will have some of them thinking you're a dick.

I have noticed there are a lot of signs now directing people how to merge since it's become a politeness vs road rage issue. In my hometown there's a big USE BOTH LANES and then TAKE TURNS AND MERGE signs at a place where a 2 lane highway becomes 1 lane through a town. And I've seen new USE BOTH LANES signs while visiting Denver this week.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHpazJFg5s

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

YEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QlHNdDs1mA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/JoeDavi91702356/status/1396878089590816770?s=19

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

At least he put his mask on!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Swift drivers migrating across the pond.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

From the schad thread, rather than accepting his fate, this guy tries running from his embarrassment...

Canuckistan posted:

Local schadenfreude. Since this video this driver has been convicted of several other offences, such as assaulting a police officer, assaulting a neighbour, impaired driving , throwing a coffee table through the front window of a woman's residence, and most recently spray painting "God Lives Here - KC Irving" in front of his residence in a trailer park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMY89peBrc

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Olympic Mathlete posted:

From the schad thread, rather than accepting his fate, this guy tries running from his embarrassment...

Wild, he got 10 days in jail for driving like that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I don't think i've ever been driving and thought "I can just follow the rules of the road as they're written and feel safe" It's always "each and every one of these fuckers is on the verge of doing something insanely stupid that puts me in danger"

I have, lots of times.

I like to live and drive in unpopulated ranglelands, where the dominant economic activity is loving off to somewhere else while your cattle/sheep/whatever roam around over properties larger than Belgium. Lots of completely empty, wide-open roads. When I'm one of 3 vehicles likely to pass this way today, I feel quite safe.

But yeah, as soon as there are other vehicles, there are other fucknuts out there. At least my convertible has excellent visibility.

Powershift posted:

The giant divot in the camera-operator's windshield is the icing on the cake here. I don't think those are bugs, they're chips and cracks.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Those with which we share the uh, tracks

https://twitter.com/rudetanks/status/1426701778649763841?s=21

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I witnessed a hit and run today. This car was going too fast for conditions (it was just raining) and cut me off just before slamming into the car in front of us who was slowing for a red light. The car they hit spun around 180 degrees while they drove off the side of the road into an overgrown field.

I pulled over to check on the hit driver (she was ok just really shaken up) and call 911. The car in the field took off and disappeared. Cops took forever to show up but took my description of the other car.

I had been considering a dash cam but was putting it off because I have never seen anything interesting. I feel like those was a sign to get one (but I'll probably never see anything that crazy again).

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

mentholmoose posted:

Those with which we share the uh, tracks

This happened every month or two in downtown Toronto until they added a number of obstacles near the tunnel entrance that are somewhat difficult to navigate unless you're a streetcar. Now it still happens, but not quite as often.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Zero One posted:

I had been considering a dash cam but was putting it off because I have never seen anything interesting. I feel like those was a sign to get one (but I'll probably never see anything that crazy again).

Get one. One incident decided in your favor and it pays for itself. Or even just being a Good Samaritan.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Remember people consult your -10 before you put your beloved Huey on a trailer. Sitting on the pad it is 13 feet 7 inches to top of the mast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Shameful route planning.