Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Plot twist, the Infinite Corridor opens up and Soma, Johnathan, Charlotte, and Shanoa pop out and it's actually a Harmony of Dissonance adaptation.

Bonus points if they include Getsu Fuuma Den.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dracula and Lisa's ending gave me total 'Buying a yacht two days from retirement' vibe. Even in the long run... Lisa's likely going to die of old age, unless Dracula turns her into a vampire. That old dilemma.

I was wondering if the whole alchemist ritual thing was going to turn them into Dracula-as-basically-Satan as Castlevania is known for, but I think it might establish that at best, Dracula's still an attractive nuisance, and powerful, monstrous beings are drawn to him.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
We're looking at 300 years into the future. Dracula was dead for like three months and there were multiple plots to force him out of retirement, it's not a huge stretch to say one works eventually, especially if they wait until after Lisa's death.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Dracula gets resurrected and finds out Alucard hasn't taken out the trash in 300 years, goes into a rage.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe Dracula could shift into a more Dr. Doom style evil guy who just wants to take over the world instead of killing everyone. He'd still need to be stopped but he'd have gotten over his tragic past and just be bored with the world after hundreds of years with his wife gone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Martman posted:

Maybe Dracula could shift into a more Dr. Doom style evil guy who just wants to take over the world instead of killing everyone. He'd still need to be stopped but he'd have gotten over his tragic past and just be bored with the world after hundreds of years with his wife gone.

Everyone just expects him to and he feels he's letting them down.

I just realised I'm basically thinking The Old Count from Carpe Jugulum.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The creators were always into Symphony and Soma so I think some kind of course correction that re-enables Soma to complete the Netflix Alucard trilogy is eventually likely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Soma is easy enough to factor in. When Dracula eventually bites it of course his legacy is up for grabs.

It's just concerning me that Dracula might heel-turn again in an unsatisfying way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Dracula was happy to live in peace with Lisa but Simon learned he was still alive and tore through the castle all whip happy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

LividLiquid posted:

Wow, that is absolutely spot-on. Holy poo poo.

I must be a teen I suppose, because none of the cursing stood out to me. It rarely does. Deadwood is the only show I've ever seen where the cursing sounded off to me. Not because it sounded immature or anything; it just sounded like the cadence was wrong, and the characters were inserting swears into odd parts of the sentence rather than the places I'd expect.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DoctorWhat posted:

I think Soma is easy enough to factor in. When Dracula eventually bites it of course his legacy is up for grabs.

It's just concerning me that Dracula might heel-turn again in an unsatisfying way.

Do vampires in the Castlevania setting have souls? Alucard does (but he's a dhampir, so special case). Dracula appears to - we see his soul lingering in hell along with Lisa's multiple times. But other vamps don't appear to, or at least it's left unclear.

I ask because if the answer is no then the set up for future seasons is pretty clear as far as heel turning Drac so that Richter can have his crack at it. They already borrowed quite a lot of the storyline from Simon - setting up the Belmont village and all that - so I can understand why they are glossing over that story.

Option 1: Various evil forces keep trying to "resurrect" Dracula, not knowing the current state of things as of the end in S4. One or another is eventually successful, which causes Dracula's soul (or at least part of it) to be forcibly separated from his physical form. And now you have a pissed off, extremely hosed up soulless super vampire eager to start ripping people apart.

Option 2: Lisa eventually dies of natural causes. She's human and even if Dracula does some magic stuff to prolong her lifespan that can only go so far. Her soul departs (to heaven or hell or wherever), and because of how their souls are linked, so does Dracula's. Which once again opens the door to evil madman Dracula pissed off at humanity, God, and the laws of the physical universe we inhabit.

There are probably some other options so I'm curious to see what they come up with. The writers for the show seem smart enough to avoid the "dead wife (again)", "wife left him", "lady Macbeth scheming wife" sort of storyline as setting up a character motivation so that Dracula can be the main antagonist again.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You can also have the classic "another force is trying to harness dracula's power or the secrets of his castle" thing where Dracula is kind of a victim but when whatever is containing him for the process is broken he's so angry/insane that he becomes a threat again for the finale.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

tsob posted:

I must be a teen I suppose, because none of the cursing stood out to me. It rarely does. Deadwood is the only show I've ever seen where the cursing sounded off to me. Not because it sounded immature or anything; it just sounded like the cadence was wrong, and the characters were inserting swears into odd parts of the sentence rather than the places I'd expect.

Deadwood was a choice where they wanted to represent people swearing 100% of the time but if they used 1880s swears it would sound goofy so they split the difference.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Alternate option, Shaft creates a weird homunculus and starts telling everyone it's Dracula and no one knows any better because no one knows what Drac actually looks like.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mat Cauthon posted:

Option 2: Lisa eventually dies of natural causes. She's human and even if Dracula does some magic stuff to prolong her lifespan that can only go so far. Her soul departs (to heaven or hell or wherever), and because of how their souls are linked, so does Dracula's. Which once again opens the door to evil madman Dracula pissed off at humanity, God, and the laws of the physical universe we inhabit.

I got a laugh out of imagining God going "Wait, that's Dracula's wife? Me drat it, I don't want to deal with this poo poo, She's immortal too. No, she's not a vampire, I'm just not fighting Dracula because she died, so Im'a just bend the rules on this one", so thanks for that.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

It's Godbrand, but in a really bad Dracula mask.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m very happy but worried. This poo poo series wasn’t perfect, but it was in it totality really good and the final season was (for most) a near perfect landing.
That’s a tall order to follow up on.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

tsob posted:

I got a laugh out of imagining God going "Wait, that's Dracula's wife? Me drat it, I don't want to deal with this poo poo, She's immortal too. No, she's not a vampire, I'm just not fighting Dracula because she died, so Im'a just bend the rules on this one", so thanks for that.

Honestly it did not even occur to me that in such a scenario God would be desperately divine interventioning Lisa back to life just to avoid having yet another pissed off rear end in a top hat try to invade heaven but now I can't stop thinking about it and will accept nothing less as canon.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Just be like “yeah there was the dracula we know from the first series,fucker died ages ago,now there’s a new dracula because every age has its own dracula,like batman”.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Just be like “yeah there was the dracula we know from the first series,fucker died ages ago,now there’s a new dracula because every age has its own dracula,like batman”.

That'd be weird for Alucard.

Also now picturing one age's Dracula being Batman.

(actually, that's something I'd like to see; Dracula deciding to become Transylvania's Batman, possibly out of boredom)

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if there's rumours of Dracula being back but we know it probably can't be and it's a mystery, and they bait that it might be Alucard, and at the end of season 1/2 Richter faces him and it's whatever Shaft mind control nonsense and they switch bodies from "Dracula" to Richter which opens the door for actual Alucard to return and face/free Richter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That'd be weird for Alucard.

Also now picturing one age's Dracula being Batman.

(actually, that's something I'd like to see; Dracula deciding to become Transylvania's Batman, possibly out of boredom)

Not really. He rejected being called the Alucard. :v:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

how do you reasonably make dracula the antagonist OR do a dracula resurrection plot again after his and lisa's happy ending? It'd feel cheap and hollow.
Yup. Kind of a huge gently caress you for Ellis to resolve a character at the center of a centuries-spanning franchise on his way out the door after he got shitcanned for being a sex abuser.

At least I know I'd be pissed. The franchise is meant to be pretty limitless. "Every so often Drac comes back and his castle is completely different" is a premise that's lasted dozens of games for a reason.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pretty sure he wrote it long before they dropped him. And the series has always treated Dracula very differently to how the games do in a lot of ways.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Whatever the main threat is, we NEED Richter to bust out "Die monster, you don't belong in this world!"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
strong disagree on that one, Livid. Ellis is a creep, obviously, but 1) I LIKE how Dracula and Lisa get a hopeful ending and 2) Ellis (or any writer) is not obliged to do cynical Brand Management at the expense of storytelling.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How about if Dracula launched out of his castle in an escape craft and shook his fist, "I'll get you Belmont's next time!", he cries as his scratches his pet, Godbrand.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shageletic posted:

How about if Dracula launched out of his castle in an escape craft and shook his fist, "I'll get you Belmont's next time!", he cries as his scratches his pet, Godbrand.

Meowth, I mean, Godbrand! That’s right!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Someone mentioned Hellsing earlier in the thread, and I'd like to suggest everyone watch this playlist

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL581218B72A4B9170

It's a "parody" that seems to have spot-on voice actors that present the show in a way that is almost consistently funny (and isn't really "abridged" so much as "filling the long silences with jokes that land occasionally").

Then go buy the series if you want the serious portrayal (or watch it on Netflix).

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've watched Hellsing Ultimate both normally and abridged. I found the abridged parody to be a better show overall due to cutting out the long moments of nothing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the cleanest way to do SotN considering the changes to the story is having Shaft control/invoke some vampiric entity that claims to be Dracula (big guy didn't transform into the demon form, so that's an out), Alucard decides to investigate because daddy's supposed to be dead, while Richter and Maria go kill the dude because that's what Belmonts do, right?

You can even add the "captured Dracula is used as a weapon" part of the deal instead of it being another demon and have his soul purged so it leads to Soma in a very distant future (lalala).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Andrigaar posted:

I've watched Hellsing Ultimate both normally and abridged. I found the abridged parody to be a better show overall due to cutting out the long moments of nothing.

The DBZ abridged series is also literally my only exposure to that property (beyond maybe two episodes back when it was on Adult Swim in the early 00s) and I kinda liked their parody of Final Fantasy 7.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Having watched the original DBZ, Abridged has pretty much overwritten most of my memories of it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Having watched the original DBZ, Abridged has pretty much overwritten most of my memories of it.

:same:

Even as early as S1, it already had some rock solid gags, like “Vegeta! …I can fly!”, and it only got better from there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Regalingualius posted:

:same:

Even as early as S1, it already had some rock solid gags, like “Vegeta! …I can fly!”, and it only got better from there.

DBZA hooked me at the Galic Gun/Kamehameha beam battle.

KAIO-KEN!
...Noooo.
TIMES!
No, no, no!
FOUR!
No, no, no, no, no, no...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu........

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I suppose they could do the thing where some newjack vampire is just using Dracula's name for the sake of building street cred.

Meanwhile Dracula's been chilling in rural England for three hundred years writing his thinly veiled autobiography, which he plans to publish as fiction under the name "Bram Stoker."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Apologies for continuing the derail, but the DBZ talk has inspired me.

Aside from watching some of the original Dragonball on Saturday mornings as a kid and a few episodes of the Cell and Buu sagas with my brother in the early 2000s, I've never seen any Dragonball and want to check out what I'm missing.

I know there are multiple versions of the shows out there. Some as they originally aired here, and some unaltered and with different voice acting, I'm guessing?

What version is definitive and where can I find it?

Thanks in advance.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

LividLiquid posted:

Aside from watching some of the original Dragonball on Saturday mornings as a kid and a few episodes of the Cell and Buu sagas with my brother in the early 2000s, I've never seen any Dragonball and want to check out what I'm missing.

I know there are multiple versions of the shows out there. Some as they originally aired here, and some unaltered and with different voice acting, I'm guessing?

Thanks in advance.

Watch DBZ Kai if you want DBZ. It cuts out a lot and is great.

Or just watch DBZ abridged because poo poo, it may as well be the official canon at this point.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
DBZ Abridged and DBZ Kai are so similar it's weird. Though I never watched Kai past the Freeza saga, I always intended to once I learned that more episodes were released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Thanks in advance.

Okay, so here we go.

Dragonball is the first series. You can call it the first Matrix. It stars the main character, Goku as a child and his adventures as such as he grows up and everyone learns martial arts and ki is introduced.

Dragon Ball Z is the sequel. So it's up to you if you think of Dragonball as a prequel or not at this point. This is adult Goku going on further adventures and that's where the Cell and Buu sagas that you watched were from. It's incredibly long and you probably should've started a month into quarantine because it's so badly paced too.

Dragon Ball Z Kai is a 're-edit' to mitigate filler and help the show flow better. Despite this there are still many episodes where nothing happens to set up the next one. Regardless, that's probably the one you want to watch.

Dragon Ball GT is a non-canon sequel to Dragon Ball Z. Opinions on that one are mixed but it did introduce the idea of Super Saiyan 4 so it wasn't completely devoid of good ideas.

Dragon Ball Super is the actual sequel series. I don't actually know much about it aside from the Tournament of Power taking way too long? Also someone making this show doesn't like Tien because he gets to do nothing helpful at all. I think the movies have pretty muchall been solid though. Resurrection of F, Battle of the Gods, Super Broly.

I checked and found Dragonball, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Super are all on Hulu. I'm afraid you're on your own for Z though, that's all I'm subscribed to.