Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Any reason you folks aren't just reverting the lovely interface settings to the below to false in about :config?
code:
browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled	true	
browser.proton.doorhangers.enabled	true	
browser.proton.enabled			true	
browser.proton.modals.enabled		true
Is it just because I have the sinking feeling that idiot UI devs at Firefox are going to remove those toggles in the next few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Szmitten posted:

Just confirm something for me.

Did the the forums.somethingawful forums list get a UI change so they're all a little more spaced out or minor font change or has 89 done something strange?

A day or two ago the forums list was changed to include the description of each subforum that had previously been hovertext, so there are a lot more words on the page now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jeeves posted:

Is it just because I have the sinking feeling that idiot UI devs at Firefox are going to remove those toggles in the next few months?

I figured, based on all previous mozilla behavior, that it would be a lock that they'd be removed a couple versions from now. So that's why I went into userchrome right away. Pull the bandage off fast type deal. Also there are tons of people trading css bits back and forth right now so that makes it easier.

However, they are now going to collect this as telemetry in v90. So I'll go back to using proton.enabled, make sure my vote is counted.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
When I right-clicked on the address bar on twitter, there was a "➕add twitter" context menu entry. I was going to ask what it does, but then I figured I could just try. I clicked on it and I have no idea what it did. :confused: It's gone from the context menu.

Where did I "add twitter"?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Wheany posted:

When I right-clicked on the address bar on twitter, there was a "➕add twitter" context menu entry. I was going to ask what it does, but then I figured I could just try. I clicked on it and I have no idea what it did. :confused: It's gone from the context menu.

Where did I "add twitter"?

Search engines?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

astral posted:

Search engines?

Just tried it and yeah, it's this.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Klyith posted:

However, they are now going to collect this as telemetry in v90. So I'll go back to using proton.enabled, make sure my vote is counted.
Nice try Mozilla on getting me to enable telemetry, in fact now is the best time to disable it completely, get off the grid, show them their market share now plummeting after this latest update, be one less dot on their map!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

A day or two ago the forums list was changed to include the description of each subforum that had previously been hovertext, so there are a lot more words on the page now.

Right. Knew something visually changed but couldn't place it and both happened at the same time.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

nielsm posted:

One more thing:

To remove the Sync and Accounts login poo poo that I'm never going to click on purpose, switch this to false:
identity.fxaccounts.enabled

Needs a browser restart to get rid of all menu items etc.

Why not just hit the "customize toolbar" and drag it out of there? This just seems like it's screaming to gently caress things up later

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
New Firefox seems good lol:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ILikeVoltron posted:

Why not just hit the "customize toolbar" and drag it out of there? This just seems like it's screaming to gently caress things up later

options in about :config should never gently caress things up, they're official parts of the program.

and the reason to do it with about :config is because it removes stuff in menus as well. (and in business settings etc sync accounts are potentially a security risk.)

Zero VGS posted:

New Firefox seems good lol:

lol get ublock and start blocking sites with busted scripts or cryptominers or whatever you have going on there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jeeves posted:

When that finally happens I just might not view websites anymore.

I had a good run with the internet. I can quit and feel satisfied.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Aside from the dumb tab text stuff the Proton update has been tolerable for me. My installation defaulted to dark mode though which seems to help in skipping the worst of their design changes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

lol get ublock and start blocking sites with busted scripts or cryptominers or whatever you have going on there.

That's the thing! I'm already blocking trackers/crypto in the Firefox panel and I'm always running ublock.

Force quit and relaunched and now it only takes 5 gigs of ram and CPU back to normal.

I think the biggest offender is that I pinned Soundcloud for music and Google Voice so I can still receive texts at the PC... Google recently hosed over Hangouts and now there's no incoming SMS on PC if you don't run the webpage nonstop in memory.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
^ Shouldnt you be running uBlock ORIGINS? I thought uBlock itself was compromised?

jeeves posted:

Any reason you folks aren't just reverting the lovely interface settings to the below to false in about :config?
code:
browser.proton.contextmenus.enabled	true	
browser.proton.doorhangers.enabled	true	
browser.proton.enabled			true	
browser.proton.modals.enabled		true

Did I ever tell you, that you're my hero?

That I can fly higher than an eagle
because You are the wing beneath my wings?

Thank you, Mozilla looks like it did pre-update. What is that garbage with tabs they pushed out? Jesus christ.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Aztec posted:

^ Shouldnt you be running uBlock ORIGINS? I thought uBlock itself was compromised?

Yeah I figured it's self-explanitory that I meant origins, has anyone willfully installed non origins ublock in a decade? Is it even available?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

Force quit and relaunched and now it only takes 5 gigs of ram and CPU back to normal.

So like are you one of the 10000 tabs people or something? You should close some tabs bro, browsers weren't really made to be used that way.

edit :psyduck: you've had this problem since 2 years ago that firefox takes 5gb of ram with a totally normal number of tabs? Um, that's definitely not normal. My advice would be to start a clean profile and copy over bookmarks, settings, etc because you've definitely got something hosed up with your firefox.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 11, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you have web searching in the address bar disabled via keyword.enabled false, you have to disable the handoffToAwesomebar setting or you'll be entirely unable to use the new tab search. Thanks Mozilla.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

isndl posted:

If you have web searching in the address bar disabled via keyword.enabled false, you have to disable the handoffToAwesomebar setting or you'll be entirely unable to use the new tab search. Thanks Mozilla.

This is why they hate keeping about config settings. Personally I’d rather have to flip two than have their alternative of neither, since they sure hate maintaining them.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
What probably happened is some tab went batshit crazy. It sometimes rarely happens to me too. Usually it is something like an Oculus store page (Facebook) or Gmail that goes bonkers and just keeps growing in size. If you look in about:memory, you should be able to find the page that is sucking up all your RAM. Closing the tab should fix it.

It's probably some lovely JavaScript going nuts or something.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It seems 89 doesn't let you drag and drop a bookmark into a folder anymore? At least, not from the bookmark toolbar.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

It seems 89 doesn't let you drag and drop a bookmark into a folder anymore? At least, not from the bookmark toolbar.

Works here.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

What probably happened is some tab went batshit crazy. It sometimes rarely happens to me too. Usually it is something like an Oculus store page (Facebook) or Gmail that goes bonkers and just keeps growing in size. If you look in about :memory, you should be able to find the page that is sucking up all your RAM. Closing the tab should fix it.

It's probably some lovely JavaScript going nuts or something.

I have absolutely seen those two specifically go apeshit (gmail and Oculus) and was using the Firefox task manager but it didn't do the best job highlighting the trouble pages. Didn't know about :memory so I'll try that next time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

I have absolutely seen those two specifically go apeshit (gmail and Oculus) and was using the Firefox task manager but it didn't do the best job highlighting the trouble pages. Didn't know about :memory so I'll try that next time.

Click the "Measure" button and then:

You can see tabs that have gone crazy. Closing the tab and running a garbage collection cycle can get you some memory back, but usually the process will have an inflated size because it holds onto some allocated things (I think it can hold onto some allocated memory pools or something but don't quote me on that).

If you want to free EVERYTHING, what you can do is look at the process PID there and "End Task" that specific process in your Process Manager's details page. It will basically crash the tabs that were handled by the process. When you switch to those tabs, it will reload the page from scratch.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Gonna need a map and a guide to find the active tab.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
That's design, baby!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's also the about :performance page that's rather useful, although it requires building Firefox with profiling support, if I remember right.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

options in about :config should never gently caress things up, they're official parts of the program.

and the reason to do it with about :config is because it removes stuff in menus as well. (and in business settings etc sync accounts are potentially a security risk.)

Yeah if you don't disable that option there will forever be a "Hey! Click this big screaming orange button to log in!!!!" item at the top of the hamburger menu.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'll say that the account/sync system is quite useful - I don't use it every day, but being able to e.g. quickly see what tabs I have open on my phone and opening a copy on my desktop is neat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've noticed recently (since probably 89?) that my bank log-in is always asking me to reconfirm my identity with multi factor authentication. Every single time I logged in now which is getting annoying. I haven't changed anything on my side. This happens even if I don't get out of FF - I can log in (with multi factor), do banking, log out (still keep FF open) and immediately try to log in again and it forces me to respond to a confirmation email or text. It's like I'm in private mode but I'm not.

Is there something I should be looking at?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

slidebite posted:

I've noticed recently (since probably 89?) that my bank log-in is always asking me to reconfirm my identity with multi factor authentication. Every single time I logged in now which is getting annoying. I haven't changed anything on my side. This happens even if I don't get out of FF - I can log in (with multi factor), do banking, log out (still keep FF open) and immediately try to log in again and it forces me to respond to a confirmation email or text. It's like I'm in private mode but I'm not.

Is there something I should be looking at?

Hmm, I suspect you want to turn off Firefox built in tracking protection stuff and just use uBlock Origin.

Maybe some extraneous cookie getting blocked or unset.

Obvious way to diagnose is to try another browser and see if you have the same issue.

Edit: possible they just their policy?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Im_Special posted:

Sorry for missing this, if your problem is about the width being smaller, you can change the Tab min width with "browser.tabs.tabMinWidth" (I use 100)

Oh this is perfect, thank you :thumbsup:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wooger posted:

Hmm, I suspect you want to turn off Firefox built in tracking protection stuff and just use uBlock Origin.

Maybe some extraneous cookie getting blocked or unset.

Obvious way to diagnose is to try another browser and see if you have the same issue.

Edit: possible they just their policy?

It is doing it with Edge too, interestingly enough. I wonder if their policy changed. I'm going to find out. Thanks for trying to help.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
This is also a cool feature, on two completely different computers, Intel Laptop and Ryzen Desktop, I eventually start getting a 1+ second packet every couple of packets while pinging google (or anything else), and it only resolves when I terminate the Firefox process, this has been happening for 6 months across every version:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My wildly uneducated hypothesis is bitcoin.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zero VGS posted:

This is also a cool feature, on two completely different computers, Intel Laptop and Ryzen Desktop, I eventually start getting a 1+ second packet every couple of packets while pinging google (or anything else), and it only resolves when I terminate the Firefox process, this has been happening for 6 months across every version:

Does it happen if you have firefox in safe mode? In the hamburger menu, Help -> Troubleshoot Mode.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Does it happen if you have firefox in safe mode? In the hamburger menu, Help -> Troubleshoot Mode.

OK, I'll give it a shot. I readded uBlock Origin in Troubleshoot Mode though because the internet is unusable without it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have absolutely no idea how just having a web browser running could somehow mess up your Windows network stack itself. There's gotta be something else interfering or something transferring tons of data. Some searching seems to suggest driver issues. Maybe a pinned tab is causing it?

Here are some things I found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/g1sdh1/firefox_open_causing_ping_spikes/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/random-lag-spikes-while-web-browsing-on-new-computer.3427302/

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/2vgrs5/ping_spikes/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Even in Firefox Safe Mode, my pinned tab for Google Voice is a complete shitshow and eats up all my ram. Serves me right for using Google Voice but I've had a number with them for a decade, and this year they killed Hangouts so I think the only way to actively get text notification on my PC without running Chrome is to just pin voice.google.com in Firefox?

I feel like Google is loving actively sabotaging their pages when run in Firefox, as the worst resource offenders are Voice, Gmail and Youtube by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Are you on Windows 10? If so you can use Edge instead which uses the Chromium engine these days. I used to use Chrome as my second browser for sites that didn't work with the privacy add-ons I have on my main Firefox install, but I never use it nowadays because Edge is Good Enough and I trust Microsoft (slightly) more than Google with my privacy.