Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
O.K. but what about that time that Superman demolished the KKK by exposing and ridiculing their rituals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

I can see the value in ridicule as a Machiavellian tactic, especially with self-important narcissists like Trump and Bolsonaro, but I also think that while doing that you should still be mindful of the potential :biotruths: implications of what you're saying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t tell Nazis that they’re pathetic for having weak jaws.

Tell them that they’re pathetic for having horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DnRn9hyFU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phlegmish posted:

This seems extremely ill-conceived for multiple obvious reasons

(My own penis is, of course, of gargantuan proportions, with its own gravitational field, etc.)

Well, the Koreans did lose 3" of penis length during the Finno-Korean Hyperwar, you know.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Phlegmish posted:

It combats the fascists as individuals, which can be useful, but it does not combat their ideas. In fact, it implicitly reinforces their preconceptions and values, as even their opponents gleefully use those to judge them.

It's why I never liked that comic book image that goons are always posting, with the handsome protagonist effortlessly berating some hapless white supremacists, who are inexplicably just standing around and letting him do it for some reason. Oh, this man has no chin? So what? I don't care about his chin, or lack thereof, in this context. That's not why I would hate someone like that. I'm not evaluating him as a sexual partner, and I wouldn't suddenly start nodding my head in agreement if he did have a powerful Aryan jaw or whatever.

...... maybe you should look into what you’re railing against before you....rail against it.

I assume you are talking about the image from the Graphic Novel “Preacher”.
That scene is the middle of a rant about how the supposedly self proclaimed “ubermensh” are always gormless
Weasel men.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mocking individual fascists is the easiest thing in the world. Problem is, that's not enough, and they know how to deal with that. You need to deal with the root causes, while making violent examples.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Johnny Aztec posted:

...... maybe you should look into what you’re railing against before you....rail against it.

That scene is the middle of a rant about how the supposedly self proclaimed “ubermensh” are always gormless
Weasel men.

:preacher:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Weasel men.

Yeah but that rant isn’t about trying to fix or convince them it’s pure self satisfaction

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but that rant isn’t about trying to fix or convince them it’s pure self satisfaction
lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I mean that was the point. It doesn’t try and hide it

What do you think it was

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that was the point. It doesn’t try and hide it

What do you think it was
Oh yeah, I agree with that part. Garth Ennis is about as subtle as a dick pimple.

It was the your addition I was laughing at.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Noone's really addressing his point which can be more succinctly put as asking the nazi where the gently caress is his chin is an insult to the chinless.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

zedprime posted:

Noone's really addressing his point which can be more succinctly put as asking the nazi where the gently caress is his chin is an insult to the chinless.
Yeah, with all sorts of unpleasant, classist and casually eugenic undertones.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It combats the fascists as individuals, which can be useful, but it does not combat their ideas. In fact, it implicitly reinforces their preconceptions and values, as even their opponents gleefully use those to judge them.

It's why I never liked that comic book image that goons are always posting, with the handsome protagonist effortlessly berating some hapless white supremacists, who are inexplicably just standing around and letting him do it for some reason. Oh, this man has no chin? So what? I don't care about his chin, or lack thereof, in this context. That's not why I would hate someone like that. I'm not evaluating him as a sexual partner, and I wouldn't suddenly start nodding my head in agreement if he did have a powerful Aryan jaw or whatever.

I always figured it's a "live by the sword, die by the sword" thing. Like, I don't give a poo poo if someone is or isn't muscular, has or hasn't got a strong jaw, etc. but (1) many fascists do care and (2) most of them fail to live up to their own image of attractiveness and success to ridiculous degrees.

I'm reminded that back in a feminist discussion group about ~7 years ago, there was a discussion whether it was okay to shame the editor-in-chief of some tabloid who relentlessly critiqued young women's appearance while he was conventionally very unattractive, old, with serious eyesight problems and mottled skin. I still think mocking him was justified. From that, of course, you could pull...

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

... and while you can make a case for it buying into beauty or fitness standards, I offer this as a counterpoint: no, it's not nice to mock or shame someone for their appearance, especially elements they have no control over (like age, bone structure, skin colour, etc.) but at the same time let's not pretend that someone's appearance matters even if you remove the stink of ideology. Human beings aren't rational. To some, appearance matters a greater deal than to others. I will never begrudge a woman for not wanting to date me because she prefers athletic men with bodies sculpted like Greek gods, but at the same time body positive sometimes keels over into pointess ~everyone is beautiful!~ claptrap, which is both void of meaning and can never be true because attractiveness, fitness, etc. are always subjective judgements that everyone makes all the time. The best we can do is limit how it's poisoned or skewed in our own culture, which I am 100% on board with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This is dumb. A master race dude isn’t going to care about your opinions trying to rationalize your way into it changes nothing.

The only people who are realistically going to be hurt by these children’s insults are the type who you really wouldn’t go out of your way to throw them at

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jun 13, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

McDonald's AI drive-thru bot accused of breaking biometrics privacy law

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
So is the McD's AI in cahoots with the FBI agent and the covid vaccine that are spying on/controlling people, or are these 3 competing entities ?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is dumb. A master race dude isn’t going to care about your opinions trying to rationalize your way into it changes nothing.

The only people who are realistically going to be hurt by these children’s insults are the type who you really wouldn’t go out of your way to throw them at
You might be underestimating the fragility of white dudes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

What does class do to chins?

Control access to plastic surgery?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Phlegmish posted:

Where the gently caress is your chin is a direct refutation of the white supremacist's belief that he belongs to a master race possessing superior dna which must remain unadulterated by the lesser dna of the non aryan.

That is why his chin or lack thereof in this context is relevant.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

So chinless people are subhuman?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Carthag Tuek posted:

So chinless people are subhuman?

Yes. according to the supremist ideals espoused by the chinless man.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
White supremacists are always their own best counter-arguments in more important ways than not living up to their own arbitrary standards of physical appearance :biotruths: nonsense, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes. according to the supremist ideals espoused by the chinless man.

You can make this point without potentially harming others. The people that espouse white nationalist beliefs aren’t big with consistency anyway so you’re not hurting them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

[sitting in front of my computer chinlessly, my micropenis not obstructing my view in any way] and furthermore, we should stop making fun of Flemings simply for having a silly ethnic name. I bring this up as yet another completely random but poignant example,

It's been an interesting discussion even if we didn't reach a clear consensus, let's move on.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm not familiar with that sexual role playing technique.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It's hard to say for certain, because they're obviously not shown. But it appears that none of the three photos in that article are of someone dressed as a sumo wrestler or a snickers bar, and that seems to me like terrible journalism.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dude you’re talking about Garth “I’m going to stop the story dead in its tracks to harp on about something i don’t like” Ennis.

He’s the epitome of self satisfied-ness

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The fact that the small peepee emoji turned into a page-long derail about Nazis is kind of the point behind it.

Something like "women are treated as second-class citizens in Korean society and this is fine, but make even the weakest slight against men and a lot of people suddenly get very upset for some reason"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also says a lot how these news sources will jump on any excuse for a 'feminism has gone too far!' story, with a thin wrapping of orientalism.

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Woman who plunged to death from airport bridge was daughter of curry-poisoner Masumi Hayashi

https://www.tokyoreporter.com/crime/woman-who-plunged-to-death-from-airport-bridge-was-daughter-of-curry-poisoner-masumi-hayashi/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masumi_Hayashi_(murderer)

June 4 2021 has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Jun 14, 2021

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

fisting by many posted:

The fact that the small peepee emoji turned into a page-long derail about Nazis is kind of the point behind it.

Something like "women are treated as second-class citizens in Korean society and this is fine, but make even the weakest slight against men and a lot of people suddenly get very upset for some reason"

The thing is, by making fun of small penises they’re not making an argument against misogyny, they’re just showing they can be lovely in the exact same way.
And likewise, telling a nazi off for having a weak chin does not attack their ideology, but just chastises them for hypocrisy. And that kind of implies there might be some validity to their ideology.

“You’re supposed to be the master race, with a chin like that?”

Vs

“There is no such thing as a master race, fucko.”

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Such Fun posted:

The thing is, by making fun of small penises they’re not making an argument against misogyny, they’re just showing they can be lovely in the exact same way.
And likewise, telling a nazi off for having a weak chin does not attack their ideology, but just chastises them for hypocrisy. And that kind of implies there might be some validity to their ideology.

“You’re supposed to be the master race, with a chin like that?”

Vs

“There is no such thing as a master race, fucko.”

Versus? What about plus!

There is no such thing as a master race because the only ones who think they are part of one have chins like that.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Lobok posted:

Versus? What about plus!

There is no such thing as a master race because the only ones who think they are part of one have chins like that.

No!
The argument against a master race is not that some proponents do not meet their own criteria. Because that implies that with a better chin they would have a better claim to being the master race.

And saying misogynists have small penises implies that having a larger penis would make them better men.

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica

Such Fun posted:

No!
The argument against a master race is not that some proponents do not meet their own criteria. Because that implies that with a better chin they would have a better claim to being the master race.

And saying misogynists have small penises implies that having a larger penis would make them better men.

Big Dick = Master Race?

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

June 4 2021 posted:

Big Dick = Master Race?

Reregs are for cowards of irrelevant genital size

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Lady Disdain posted:

So is the McD's AI in cahoots with the FBI agent and the covid vaccine that are spying on/controlling people, or are these 3 competing entities ?

Yes. All under the supervision of the reverse vampires...forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Maddening Persistence of 'Hygiene Theater'
:arghfist::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ, Fine. I won't mock a Nazi.

I'll just toss them off the cliff, as the only good nazi is a dead nazi.