Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’d be surprised if it doesn’t start developing unexplained leakages immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lukashenko did just declare September 17 a “National unity day”, brand new bank holiday. https://president.gov.by/ru/events/v-belarusi-uchrezhden-den-narodnogo-edinstva

If you’re confused what this refers to, search for “1939 September 17 Poland”.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Lukashenko did just declare September 17 a “National unity day”, brand new bank holiday. https://president.gov.by/ru/events/v-belarusi-uchrezhden-den-narodnogo-edinstva

If you’re confused what this refers to, search for “1939 September 17 Poland”.

It's not even a day off. Just another petty gently caress you to Poland for their support of Tikhanovskaya.

On that note, Duda's done a nice bit of counter-trolling by visiting a memorial to Belarusians killed by Polish anti-Soviet partisans.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/06/08/in-historic-gesture-polands-president-commemorates-belarusians-killed-by-polish-partisans/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh my bad, I misread that as a bank holiday. Still a remarkably petty move. Also lol @ Duda.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It's not even a day off. Just another petty gently caress you to Poland for their support of Tikhanovskaya.

On that note, Duda's done a nice bit of counter-trolling by visiting a memorial to Belarusians killed by Polish anti-Soviet partisans.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/06/08/in-historic-gesture-polands-president-commemorates-belarusians-killed-by-polish-partisans/

It's perplexing, because "Bury", a bandit and child killer associated with the massacre, is considered to be one of the forgotten soldiers that Duda's party is ever so keen on promoting.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

It's perplexing, because "Bury", a bandit and child killer associated with the massacre, is considered to be one of the forgotten soldiers that Duda's party is ever so keen on promoting.

Do they do that openly? From what I've read, they turn a blind eye when their supporters and affiliated nationalist orgs do that, but the official position is that Bury himself is a war criminal.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, I don't think anybody who's not an outright ONR fascist covers for Bury. IPN has classified his actions as "bearing features of genocide," that's not something you can pretend didn't happen. Also he was a snitch who sold out all of his underground contacts, so you need to be really into genocide to defend that fucker.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So apparently some lady that shouted "Kaczor do wora, wór do jeziora" - "put duck in sack, throw sack into lake" during last years anty PiS protests got charged with animal cruelty :psyboom:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The very essence of Bird Law in practice

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Whu… huh?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also, I thought it’s a lyric from this song:

https://youtu.be/PqGsT6kR80I

Sorry for inflicting this on you if you haven’t encountered Cypis yet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’ll have to report you for indiscriminate use of Polish music, sorry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Also, I thought it’s a lyric from this song:

https://youtu.be/PqGsT6kR80I

Sorry for inflicting this on you if you haven’t encountered Cypis yet

Pretty sure everyone online is familiar with Polish Cow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogZdnkz0o5Q

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tevery Best posted:

Yeah, I don't think anybody who's not an outright ONR fascist covers for Bury. IPN has classified his actions as "bearing features of genocide," that's not something you can pretend didn't happen. Also he was a snitch who sold out all of his underground contacts, so you need to be really into genocide to defend that fucker.

Oh, you sweet summer child. IPN just happened to change its mind a few years back. :)

The PiS establishment is in this awkward place where they're not quite ready to really cover for him if pressed, but they're perfectly happy to keep him in the cursed soldiers mythos when at liberty to preach to the choir (or rather, nod approvingly as the choir preaches to itself). Guess the eastern poland nazi vote can be complicated sometimes!!!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Forget cursed soldiers... Something I definitely noticed is that straight up nazi is definitely "in" in the mainstream more and more.

Look at this clothing brand designs if you thought "red is bad" couldn't be topped: https://www.instagram.com/slaviapolska/

Look at this mma idiot unironically being sponsored by another racist clothing brand https://www.instagram.com/p/CPvRUieBPAA/

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Forget cursed soldiers... Something I definitely noticed is that straight up nazi is definitely "in" in the mainstream more and more.

Look at this clothing brand designs if you thought "red is bad" couldn't be topped: https://www.instagram.com/slaviapolska/

Look at this mma idiot unironically being sponsored by another racist clothing brand https://www.instagram.com/p/CPvRUieBPAA/

I think the "it's okay to be white" is especially funny coming Poland, where minority means Ukrainian.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
United Slav States?

I'm down but let me move somewhere west first please tia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FBK has been declared by court to be an extremist organisation. This is probably going to put a hamper on active opposition coordination for a few years.

https://ria.ru/20210609/fbk-1736377673.html

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
The Latvian right has been salty at Leonid Ragozin ever since an article he cowrote a couple of years back called out the close ties between some Azov people and visible Latvian nationalists and periodically brings out his tweets to paint him as a Russian imperialist/supremacist who happens to be anti-Putin.

Much of it is bad faith Twitter bullshit, but I realize I don't know where to begin forming an opinion about who's who in the Russian opposition. Tips?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

FBK has been declared by court to be an extremist organisation. This is probably going to put a hamper on active opposition coordination for a few years.

https://ria.ru/20210609/fbk-1736377673.html

FBK and Navalny's HQ's were, as LLC's. Any next organisation not affiliated with him can take the lead, he just needs to communicate the next org names in his insta, for example

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

The Latvian right has been salty at Leonid Ragozin ever since an article he cowrote a couple of years back called out the close ties between some Azov people and visible Latvian nationalists and periodically brings out his tweets to paint him as a Russian imperialist/supremacist who happens to be anti-Putin.

Much of it is bad faith Twitter bullshit, but I realize I don't know where to begin forming an opinion about who's who in the Russian opposition. Tips?

That was good journalism, Nacionālā apvienība can cry me a river. His "Russian supremacist crimes" are 1) not supporting the last bastion between feeble gay Western Europe and the savage Russian hordes, the smug face of Raivis Dzintars, and 2) suggesting that opportunistic xenophobia was involved in the ousting of Ušakovs from Rīga's mayoral seat.

As for the Russian opposition, you'll need to be more specific. The short answer to "who is who" is that at the moment all figureheads capable of effectively capturing public attention are imprisoned, exiled, or dead.

Erulisse posted:

FBK and Navalny's HQ's were, as LLC's. Any next organization not affiliated with him can take the lead, he just needs to communicate the next org names in his insta, for example

I understand that. In my opinion, declaration of extremism is a substantial escalation from Kremlin, and I will be very surprised to see if Navalny's team, or traceable associates, is allowed to organize legally in the near future. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. The movement likely has options to sustain itself and avoid substantial bleeding, since Navalnyi's incarceration has galvanized them, but I don't believe they'll be able to grow meaningfully at least until Belarus and America stuff both blow over to some extent.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 10, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Dunno about WRT to Latvia, but WRT to Ukraine Ragozin is typical racist Russian "liberal" who considers Ukrainians dumb peasants.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Dunno about WRT to Latvia, but WRT to Ukraine Ragozin is typical racist Russian "liberal" who considers Ukrainians dumb peasants.

He's working with Re:Baltica here, so it's just honest to god investigative journalism, to best of my awareness. His articles have been on points across our political spectrum, but that's also fairly descriptive of Re:Baltica general - they run a surprisingly competent shop, for the scarce resources and ample hostility they get. You got some of is Ukraine stuff handy to check out?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I understand that. In my opinion, declaration of extremism is a substantial escalation from Kremlin, and I will be very surprised to see if Navalny's team, or traceable associates, is allowed to organize legally in the near future. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. The movement likely has options to sustain itself and avoid substantial bleeding, since Navalnyi's incarceration has galvanized them, but I don't believe they'll be able to grow meaningfully at least until Belarus and America stuff both blow over to some extent.

2 things - one can literally buy an LLC here for cheap but no one needs an LLC to organize a paypal and instagram profile and get a name of a group of people
And the second being that Belarus thing is not going to blow over anytime soon. Minsk was literally the only way to fly out for russian people who are legally bound with no travel or home arrest stuff.
A small joke a page ago about iron curtain falling on belarus borders has a base and was not a joke at all, sadly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1403032603515621380?s=20

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think we've now identified 10 Russian assassinations, with 6 killed and 10 survivors, and only 5 of the survivors actually being the target. We've actually got a backlog of several Russian assassinations we've still got to work through, and there's more suspect incidents that could likely be assassinations we discover on a regular basis.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Erulisse posted:

2 things - one can literally buy an LLC here for cheap but no one needs an LLC to organize a paypal and instagram profile and get a name of a group of people
And the second being that Belarus thing is not going to blow over anytime soon. Minsk was literally the only way to fly out for russian people who are legally bound with no travel or home arrest stuff.
A small joke a page ago about iron curtain falling on belarus borders has a base and was not a joke at all, sadly.

I hear you. What I fear, to clarify, is that if like some Yabloko offshoot does a totally not FBK thing, they'll just get nuked, incorporate they or not, if they try to capitalize on the support of movement Navalnyi has gathered behind himself. I very well may be just in a dramatic mood about the extremism declaration.

As for Belarus and upcoming Biden dialogue/recent shift in American politics - in my opinion, Putin likes to espouse (whataboutist) virtue signalling at times like this, so he may see a fair amount of value of keeping FBK or Furgal stuff quiet until he determines his plans with Belarus, USA, and maybe NS2. I very much agree with you that the Belarus situation is far from over, and may ultimately result in an irreversible upset to the status quo.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I hear you. What I fear, to clarify, is that if like some Yabloko offshoot does a totally not FBK thing, they'll just get nuked, incorporate they or not, if they try to capitalize on the support of movement Navalnyi has gathered behind himself. I very well may be just in a dramatic mood about the extremism declaration.

As for Belarus and upcoming Biden dialogue/recent shift in American politics - in my opinion, Putin likes to espouse (whataboutist) virtue signalling at times like this, so he may see a fair amount of value of keeping FBK or Furgal stuff quiet until he determines his plans with Belarus, USA, and maybe NS2. I very much agree with you that the Belarus situation is far from over, and may ultimately result in an irreversible upset to the status quo.

Ah in that sense I feel you there, they already started cracking down on people who have a following. Famous bloggers like Hovansky (detained) and Dud' (criminal investigation) under some old and/or bullshit accusations in one day. They are rushing to quiet people down until at least 'elections' pass and are sending very strong messages.
It will require a persona outside of russia. Time is a flat circle after all.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

I think we've now identified 10 Russian assassinations, with 6 killed and 10 survivors, and only 5 of the survivors actually being the target. We've actually got a backlog of several Russian assassinations we've still got to work through, and there's more suspect incidents that could likely be assassinations we discover on a regular basis.

Do any other countries other than North Korea and Saudi Arabia do this these days? Covertly assassinating their citizens in diaspora?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Erulisse posted:

Ah in that sense I feel you there, they already started cracking down on people who have a following. Famous bloggers like Hovansky (detained) and Dud' (criminal investigation) under some old and/or bullshit accusations in one day. They are rushing to quiet people down until at least 'elections' pass and are sending very strong messages.
It will require a persona outside of russia. Time is a flat circle after all.

Now Hovansky is not a name I've heard in a while, time really is a flat circle if he finds himself knee-deep in poo poo.

Brown Moses posted:

:staredog: That's one hell of a sentence.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They are not as poo poo at the whole assassinations business then, huh. Well, I guess when they're really successful, you don't hear a lot about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

They are not as poo poo at the whole assassinations business then, huh. Well, I guess when they're really successful, you don't hear a lot about it.

That's why you never hear about the Danish intelligence service PET murdering people. Cunning and ruthless, those Danes. Who would suspect anything devious of PET??

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This thread is about the Bykov assassination attempt, the same guys in the FSB team who followed him and tried to kill him were the same as in the Navalny case:

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1402581688589467651

There's so many of these we even found possible signs of another operation at the same hotel Bykov stayed at just before he was poisoned a year after has poisoning:

quote:

The Domina hotel in Novosibirsk is part of an Italian-owned hotel chain. On 13 August 2020, the director of investigations of Navalny’s Anti-corruption foundation Maria Pevchikh arrived in Novosibirsk, one day before Alexey Navalny, and made her way to the Domina hotel where she had a booking. She had noticed she was surveilled on her way from the airport, and despite several manoeuvres trying to escape her followers, she found them at the hotel when she arrived.

In Pevchikh’s own words, during check-in she was asked unusual and spurious questions, including what her occupation was. Once she checked in, she found her hotel room shared a balcony with another room, and requested to be moved to another room out of safety concerns. The hotel declined her request, despite – after checking availability on booking.com – finding that the hotel was half-empty. Pevchikh then moved out of the hotel without checking out and without informing the hotel staff.

Later that night, the telephone of one of the FSB poison squad members, Alexey Alexandrov, pinged just in front of the Domina hotel. It is not clear if that was the result of Alexandrov staying at or near that hotel, or an attempt to track Maria Pevchikh.

Bellingcat and the Insider approached the hotel with questions about the availability and state of functioning of security cameras during the time of Bykov’s stay at the Domina. By press time the hotel had not replied to the queries.

We've got a lot of flight data about where this team has been flying to, and we've found a lot more of these sudden deaths and comas that follow the same pattern of behaviour as the other assassination attempts we've looked into. There's a lot of their travel unaccounted for, so those could be assassination attempts that didn't make it to the media, and if that's the case then there's dozens of targets, either being followed by these teams, or already attacked by them.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Erulisse posted:

You can still get out via Minsk-Istnbul (large hub that connects to everything) or a few more exotic destinations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

a podcast for cats posted:

Do you read Russian? If yes, following the twitters of journalists of the few independent outlets left like Meduza, The Insider and Mediazona are good - they are interesting people, post cool insights into the life in Russia, dunk on the overt or covert Kremlin propagandists and are friends with other normal people (the chief editors of each, Alexey Kovalev, Roman Dobrokhotov and Sergei Smirnov are all great)

Without knowing Russian I don't know, most of them are internally focused. One Russian opposition focused english-speaker is Kevin Rothrock who works for Meduza. Otherwise I would read the english versions of the Insider, Meduza and the Moscow Times as they have decent analysis and interesting articles on the inner kitchen.

Brown Moses posted:

This thread is about the Bykov assassination attempt, the same guys in the FSB team who followed him and tried to kill him were the same as in the Navalny case:

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1402581688589467651

There's so many of these we even found possible signs of another operation at the same hotel Bykov stayed at just before he was poisoned a year after has poisoning:

We've got a lot of flight data about where this team has been flying to, and we've found a lot more of these sudden deaths and comas that follow the same pattern of behaviour as the other assassination attempts we've looked into. There's a lot of their travel unaccounted for, so those could be assassination attempts that didn't make it to the media, and if that's the case then there's dozens of targets, either being followed by these teams, or already attacked by them.

Hey BM, just last week finished your book -- really good stuff. Optimistically looking at journos slowly adopting Bellingcat's OSINT methodology for investigative journalism in Eastern European countries.

Somaen fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 11, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lisbon admits sharing Russian dissidents’ personal data with Moscow

Not sure where to start here, especially as the brown moses investigations continue to expand a list.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Chernobyl why are you doing a thing again? :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEO5VBo6R4w

Edit: Wait, is this going to mix with the Nord Stream 2 gasline? :kingsley:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 13, 2021

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

that video keeps popping up in my recommends and I just assumed it was a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 promotion

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Real WTF moment in Minsk, there is a press briefing going on about Ryanair flight including for some reason Roman Protasevich himself. BBC journalist twitted that they refuse to participate in this and left the event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Chernobyl why are you doing a thing again? :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEO5VBo6R4w

Edit: Wait, is this going to mix with the Nord Stream 2 gasline? :kingsley:

The neutron count increase is normal and expected as decrease in water occurs. They did studies prior to installing the new containment building showing it would happen.

https://twitter.com/ThatRadGuy5/status/1398425516068196352?s=20