Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Graphical or sound mods only. Just about every other mod in this game is excising specific pet peeves, adding extraneous new things because the modder wants variety for his dozenth run, a complete overhaul, or a mod of a branch of a complete overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sea of losers posted:

definitely use gunslinger. doesnt change gameplay but adds TONS of high-quality weapon/equipment animation

The changes to the gauss rifle are really interesting.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i know it definitely won't happen, but i'd love to see the cut versions of the Clear Sky faction's armor in stalker 2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Couple Anomaly questions:
1)should I be hording all the various kits, armor plates and mats I'm picking up that can only be used for workshop crafting when I don't even have any basic tools?
2)is there a stash like in COP which transfers items between locations?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

i know it definitely won't happen... stalker 2

Healthy perspective.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I'm picking Anomaly back up, and oh boy am I struggling to scratch out a living. I do have an AUG, shotgun, and pistol all in good working condition, but my armor situation is pretty terrible and I get instantly wrecked in pretty much any firefight.

Is there a better (easier) way to make more rubles? Maybe artifact hunting?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

missions. do missions for everyone. everyone you can find (so long as they're not going to go and get themselves killed, causing you to fail the mission)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Artifacts can indeed be lucrative and as a bonus you can typically avoid fighting for it. Of course you'll want a good detector though. Be sure to turn them in for missions or sell directly to scientists for real profit.

Hunting mutants and selling their body parts to the guy at Garbage is also good easy money.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Armor is also one of those things that can be a huge money sink especially if it has low durability and you're constantly having to patch it up. A lot of the time, I use early armor as a stopgap that I'll abuse and wear into tatters, swapping it for whatever I can scavenge until I can afford a proper suit. You have to ask yourself if it's worth the initial investment and has the right stats that'll help you survive an extra bullet or wade into an anomaly field to grab artifacts, otherwise it's just an added maintenance cost.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah, all that advice helped - thanks! I scrounged up enough cash for a new SEVA suit which should help quite a bit.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

manero posted:

Oh yeah, all that advice helped - thanks! I scrounged up enough cash for a new SEVA suit which should help quite a bit.

The Clear Sky SKAT suit, when combined with a high-end helmet (to round out chem/rad/psy protection) and improved Freon emission modules (they give bonuses to anomaly resists and increase carry weight slightly) is straight up the best suit in Anomaly, outside its garbage net carry weight. It won't give you the easy mode of nosrog suits against hordes of monolith, but you still have very good bullet protection and unlike the nosrogs you won't get one or two shot by a burner anomaly. Chimeras and enemies who get the drop on you with high end rifles will still vaporise you, but my take on it is that at least there's some challenge left in the zone.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There a line I can change in Anomaly to disable AI grenades/launchers completely? I think I'd found a mod but it doesn't work with the latest version. It is literally the worst.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Lol now I can’t stop laughing at how ridiculous the AI grenading skills were in clear sky vanilla

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Goons, what's the current spergiest-in-class, all-in modpack for Call of Pripyat that throws the kitchen sink at you in terms of weapon "realism" (with magazine loading a must-have), first person animations, etc, etc, but still keeps the plotline?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Installed the HD Models addon and I am really not a fan. Duty looks particularly awful, and I hate the Exo and most of the helmet redesigns. I actually installed it to see if it had a better looking Nosorog, and of course that is the one thing I actually think looks better (mainly because the default suit doesn't look great imo) but not worth all the other changes.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
For anyone playing with the Dynamic Mutants addon for Anomaly, you definitely want to tweak the spawn numbers in options when using it. The addon includes different model variants for mutants which are pretty cool for the most part. One of them is a variant of the tushanko called a piranha, which operates similarly by being a small, weak creature that comes at you in swarms. The only problem is that the swarms get pretty crazy if you leave the spawn numbers at default.

I was getting stupid stuff like 30+ piranhas in a swarm, with more constantly trickling in after I wiped out the first group. It got to the point where I couldn't talk to any NPC in a swamp area for longer than a second without an interruption from a piranha nibbling at my feet.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone know if Arsenal Overhaul for Clear Sky allows you to use the optional parts of SRP, since it incorporates it?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
About to do a play through of CoP with Gunslinger, hasn't had much in terms of updates but It's been quite a while so it'll be refreshing either way.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I really like the Blindside's weapon animation add-ons for Anomaly, but Gunslinger is still the mod to beat in terms of gunplay. My wish is for a Anomaly X Gunslinger merge some day but I think we're more likely to see STALKER 2 before that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
STALKER 2 out next April. Hard to believe tbh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordja posted:

STALKER 2 out next April. Hard to believe tbh.

Yeah and somebody's already uploaded a copy of the E3 2021 trailer for people who missed it and don't want to go hunting for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbh7729l9bA

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That looks absurdly good and I am positive that my GTX 1070 has no hope of running it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah and somebody's already uploaded a copy of the E3 2021 trailer for people who missed it and don't want to go hunting for it:

I do hope that was some actual in game footage in there, but I have my doubts. Regardless, looks beautiful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Namnesor posted:

That looks absurdly good and I am positive that my GTX 1070 has no hope of running it.

Lol my 1070 can't even play the OG games without slowdowns from all the jank. This one will probably nuke RTX cards.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

So, the AI bandits didn't move and allowed for the x-box controller player to slowly move around and kill them, the characters and story sounds a bit like a modern Russian soap opera, and while the environment and objects are untidy nothing's really dirty or grimy or all that muddy.

And I'm going to have to get a new graphics card damnit.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm hyped, even though I'm as skeptical as everyone else about how much is pre-rendered cutscene and how much will be actual gameplay.

Just want a modernish STALKER with acceptable levels of jank to serve as a platform for modders for the next decade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Luckily I won't have to pay for it, so I can remain optimistic yet still skeptical.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
What's the state of current GSC World by the way? Are there any legacy people from the old dev team still on board?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I know that hoping for anything from this is a mistake, but can't help wishing this turns out at least halfway decent after seeing that debris floating through the air around the gravity anomaly. it could all be prerendered bullshit, but that is exactly how I'd want anomalies to look in a modern stalker.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is fantastic. I doubt any of this is actual gameplay, but I don't really care. Looking forward to it :banjo:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
The trailer itself from direction standpoint was really good! Loved it.

People complaining that the ai didn’t look good must have rose tinted glasses cause I’m pretty sure every combat encounter pretty much starts with shooting some dude completely still standing on some specific spot

Also pretty sure it’s UE4? I’d expect jank to be considerably better as the engine itself was just bad

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

What's the state of current GSC World by the way? Are there any legacy people from the old dev team still on board?

I'd be pretty shocked if any of the old devs were still involved beyond the CEO. Polygon did a post-mortem with some employees after the first dissolution and I can't imagine any of them coming back.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/9/8/4568598/stalker-fallout-gsc-game-world

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mesadoram posted:

I do hope that was some actual in game footage in there, but I have my doubts. Regardless, looks beautiful.

Yeaaaah, the cynic in me is saying "that's CG". But seems promising either way, definitely the right STALKER spirit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://twitter.com/stalker_thegame/status/1404174361339256840

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oh... oh no.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Tabletops posted:

People complaining that the ai didn’t look good must have rose tinted glasses cause I’m pretty sure every combat encounter pretty much starts with shooting some dude completely still standing on some specific spot

Thats only me, calm down. Game looks good.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Preorders on Steam now as well

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1643320/STALKER_2_Heart_of_Chernobyl/

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Thats only me, calm down. Game looks good.

Sorry I’m responding to broader community stuff. It’s not just you

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Lol at preordering a game you havent seen a single second of gameplay for. Video was definitely a render/skeleton engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Can anyone tell what engine it is or if they’ve said? God I hope it’s not proprietary

Edit: it is unreal