Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just get a VKB. The Gladiator NXT is a very solid-feeling, well-built stick with good buttons at a reasonable midrange price, and you can still couple it with your x52 throttle if you want (which I find to be a largely acceptable single-engine throttle for the price).

Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like a great stick, just placed an order for it. Hopefully there only being 3 buttons on the base vs the X52's 6 won't be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I have the old Rhino and touched a friend's 16000 and can say that I immediately felt stupid having the 'fancier' stick. I wasn't ever super impressed with the rhino once I had it and the 16000 felt like at the very least the same build quality and free of many issues that the Rhino had that were just inherent to the design/layout.

Advancing the throttles on the rhino always felt cool and the 16000 didn't have quite that same vibe but that's such a minor plus in a sea of annoyances.

All that said, the other recommendations are probably right and I only say probably because I haven't used a VKB myself - Just wanted to offer that the Rhino Isn't Good.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The throttle for the T16000 isn't the best, but the fact that I can make small adjustments to the stick without having to fight a bunch of friction is amazing. I have an older saitek stick and it's impossible to do any kind of precise movements.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I have the old Rhino and touched a friend's 16000 and can say that I immediately felt stupid having the 'fancier' stick. I wasn't ever super impressed with the rhino once I had it and the 16000 felt like at the very least the same build quality and free of many issues that the Rhino had that were just inherent to the design/layout.

Advancing the throttles on the rhino always felt cool and the 16000 didn't have quite that same vibe but that's such a minor plus in a sea of annoyances.

All that said, the other recommendations are probably right and I only say probably because I haven't used a VKB myself - Just wanted to offer that the Rhino Isn't Good.

Funny, my journey was almost the same -- X55 Rhino to T16000 to VKB Gladiator Pro. Only downside of the gladiator is that I hosed some of the switches on the base; VKB told me they'd let me buy spare parts, but won't send me the invoice.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Funny, my journey was almost the same -- X55 Rhino to T16000 to VKB Gladiator Pro. Only downside of the gladiator is that I hosed some of the switches on the base; VKB told me they'd let me buy spare parts, but won't send me the invoice.

One thing I'm wondering is what throttle people use with the Gladiator joystick. The only ones I can find sold separately are either the three stick flight type or like $400+ . The 16000m throttle is the only one sold separately at the price level I can find.

e: and if anyone has a spare logitech throttle they would sell I'd gladly buy it since I have to return the 16000m hotas as a package.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Booyah- posted:

One thing I'm wondering is what throttle people use with the Gladiator joystick. The only ones I can find sold separately are either the three stick flight type or like $400+ . The 16000m throttle is the only one sold separately at the price level I can find.

e: and if anyone has a spare logitech throttle they would sell I'd gladly buy it since I have to return the 16000m hotas as a package.

I kept the Rhino throttle for a long time. That one was actually pretty functional. However, over time the rubbery plastic got sticky. Then it for some reason must have consumed more power, as it would refuse to work unless connected to an active hub. Finally it stares producing ghost key presses.

At that point I got a screw driver and started to open it when I realized that nah, if I ever want to fly combat sim again, I'll get a virpil throttle. For MSFS the little nub at the base of the gladiator is plenty fine.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Booyah- posted:

At that price range, it's pretty much the only game in town for a standalone product. It's a decent throttle, and the rails can be greased or modded to make it great.

Otherwise, you're looking at $300-400+ stuff from Virpil and Winwing, or civilian-style quadrants like the Thrustmaster TCA and Honeycomb Bravo

edit: huh, it looks like you can still buy a CH Pro throttle. I don't know if I can recommend something that ancient in 2021, but it does exist: https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/4945

plester1 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 8, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I mean I guess it won't be a bad experience per se, but at that price range you're probably better off with either a used throttle, or the one in the t16000 package.

I wish DIY was simpler for this stuff. The wiring and programming (if applicable) are simple, but everything else is super labor intensive and or complex to design.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I still use a CH fighterstick, pro throttle and pedals and physically they are all tanks and feel great still but the software is terrible. You can use the default windows joystick software to calibrate though, so you only would need that for macros and such.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Booyah- posted:

When I was trying to decide if I wanted the NXT I found this video to be a pretty good roundup of all the options. His mid-tier recommendation is the NXT + the TWCS throttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1z4M42aw80&t=322s

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
While we're discussing joysticks, how do people with two sticks manage their throttle? I know that's more of a space combat thing than flight sim but it feels sort of on topic.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

thanks everyone! I'll look into mods to make the 16000m throttle smoother, I already have some of the grease mentioned earlier.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Shipon posted:

While we're discussing joysticks, how do people with two sticks manage their throttle? I know that's more of a space combat thing than flight sim but it feels sort of on topic.

In space sims with 6 degrees of freedom, the traditional two-stick setup is one stick for the 3 rotational axes, and the other for the 3 translational axes (assuming twisty sticks). In situations where you want to hold a constant speed, it's common for there to be a 'cruise control' button so you don't have to constantly keep the translational stick pushed forward to keep moving, but you still have fine control over all 6 axes at once.

Of course, everyone can bind their axes as they see fit. I know someone who plays Squadrons with rudder pedals for throttle control.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The T16000 has a throttle on the stick portion, so you could just use that for throttle. Precise control of throttle isn't super important in a space sim. You mostly either want to be going full speed, or maybe near the speed of another ship, but you're not doing specific throttle inputs like you'd need to do in an airplane.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

After the most recent flight 2020 update, I'm now having a thing where the electrical systems in the cockpit, and the radio just.. switch off completely mid-flight in the king air 350, consistently, and it won't respond to restart commands. There are so many bugs w/ this game it's incredible, but it's also a great simulation when it works.

Does anyone here have experience w/ P3D? I've been thinking about getting a dev license and working with it, but I'm not sure if it's quite what I'm looking for either. Is it more robust / less buggy than flight 2020 is?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Man I can't wait for the amazing bugs that will manifest once they switch over to DX12

Doesn't stop me from booting it up every once in a while just to floop around, since there really isn't anything else like it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

After the most recent flight 2020 update, I'm now having a thing where the electrical systems in the cockpit, and the radio just.. switch off completely mid-flight in the king air 350, consistently, and it won't respond to restart commands. There are so many bugs w/ this game it's incredible, but it's also a great simulation when it works.

Does anyone here have experience w/ P3D? I've been thinking about getting a dev license and working with it, but I'm not sure if it's quite what I'm looking for either. Is it more robust / less buggy than flight 2020 is?

This was happening to me a while ago too, turns out I was leaving the starter switches on after takeoff. If you leave them on, they will drain the batteries real quick.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

plester1 posted:

This was happening to me a while ago too, turns out I was leaving the starter switches on after takeoff. If you leave them on, they will drain the batteries real quick.

I've played this for months, and I don't know what you mean exactly; think I have that all set to auto in the assistance menu. I've never messed w/ the magnetos or needed to switch on the electrics for the plane, I have the computer take care of that. I do take off and fly myself, and I set the trim and such but I've never had to mess with the starters or any electric systems.

What's the default on the keyboard to toggle that? Do you mean the magnetos start, shift + alt + g?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

I've played this for months, and I don't know what you mean exactly; think I have that all set to auto in the assistance menu. I've never messed w/ the magnetos or needed to switch on the electrics for the plane, I have the computer take care of that. I do take off and fly myself, and I set the trim and such but I've never had to mess with the starters or any electric systems.

What's the default on the keyboard to toggle that? Do you mean the magnetos start, shift + alt + g?

I don't have the sim available in front of me right now, but IIRC the King Air starter/generators are a 3-way switch. They have to be switched to the start position to get the engines going, but then have to be switched back to the middle position in order to generate electricity to power the electricals and charge the batteries.

Not sure about the keyboard command because I usually click stuff in the cockpit, I'll try to get a screenshot later when I can.

edit: Here's what fixed it for me, making sure I had them switched to the center position during normal flight. Other planes automatically spring the starter switch back, but the King Air doesn't.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 10, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ah ok, thanks much plester1. I'll see if that works to fix it.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
If anyone wants to get more into the nitty gritty of doing the checks, airport patterns, etc, Microsoft has a pretty good series of videos here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-flying-lessons-c152/335663

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

As an update, that absolutely was the issue plester1. They changed something in that update, or perhaps a few updates ago when I had to reset my key bindings because they erased them. Anyways now I know to click the buttons to off, and I don't lose power. Hooray

I mostly just enjoy the takeoffs and landings, flying around and to obscure locations around the globe, it's fun for exploring. I'm not looking for a perfect recreation of life, or getting a pilot's license. After reading up on flying and thinking about it, looking at the limited visibility you have from the pilot's seat a lot of the time, it's just not as much fun as playing it (mostly in third person) on a screen, at least to me. Plus it's so much carbon /gas / money if you're flying anything bigger, and that'd be just way more entertaining. I especially like the challenging landings

Like this story about how a commercial pilot, retired air force dislikes flying the 737. And a lot of the pilots lose some of their hearing from the loud engine noise and such. It just seems like in real life, piloting ends up being a lot more serious and less fun.

Anyways thanks for the help

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren: MUSTANG AIR RACE :frogsiren:

Time: 2000 UTC on saturday the 12th, in two days.
Air Goons Discord.

This saturday, we will be using the free mustang, with free caucasus map, in DCS. You don't need to spend any money to partake in this, even if you don't own jack poo poo.

Concept: a Red Bull race style air race where you will be passing through cones and radio tower gates with your TF-51 Mustang, and on the third lap you will have to be able to land, have at least ONE landing gear strut remaining, and your pilot will have to be able to exit the plane alive. The other referee and announcer is making a short power point about the rules that will be in use and it will be shown in Discord Stream before race start.

This race will be played three times. Each individual race has 5 points for winner, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th.

It will be from an air start, and the event also starts from a quick fly-through of the track for clarity.
TF-51 is the trainer version of P-51 Mustang that is in DCS for free, and the game is free. FREE I SAY.

Put your name onto this list if you want to fly and join!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

DCS just announced a new free to play promotion.

quote:

Digital Combat Simulator World 2.7 Free to Play is now available.

Try out each and everyone of our products for 14 days per product during a six month period. You can play each module sequentially or any number of them at a time. The choice is yours!

Standalone version (aka not-Steam) only.

Might be worth a look if you want to try out a plane on DCS.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

It just seems like in real life, piloting ends up being a lot more serious and less fun.

I would too if i was a software glitch or a tiny human error error away from a fiery death. goose :/

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Trillhouse posted:

DCS just announced a new free to play promotion.

Standalone version (aka not-Steam) only.

Might be worth a look if you want to try out a plane on DCS.

To add to that, it's 14 days trial on each dlc separately, and they have their own 6 month cooldown timer. And you can do this as many times as you like.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
:siren:Il-2 Summer of 2021 1v1 Tournament:siren:

The idea is to hold an asynchronous, summer long series of duels, resulting in a champion being crowned. He shall stand tall, confident that he truly is a greater e-pilot than his fellow nerds :chord:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vJ3EYxrpjYWsJXYHUPySsaBUxX5Mox5G1vOw5PmflYs/edit?usp=sharing

Sign up on the above spreadsheet, then come arrange the time and date for your duels on the Airgoons discord.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ6XpfaWbko

Microsoft Flight Simulator Lands on Xbox Series X|S and with Xbox Game Pass on July 27

Plus a Top Gun expansion this fall.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zero One posted:

Microsoft Flight Simulator Lands on Xbox Series X|S and with Xbox Game Pass on July 27

gently caress yeah, floatplanes :neckbeard:

And bridges you can fly under finally :wooper:

Also all that Top Gun stuff. I wonder how detailed their Super Hornet is going to be?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 13, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

gently caress yeah, floatplanes :neckbeard:

Skis too, by the looks of it.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zero One posted:

A month and a half? Woo boy that's going to be a loving poo poo show when that goes live. I can't wait.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sagebrush posted:

Also all that Top Gun stuff. I wonder how detailed their Super Hornet is going to be?

As much as the others, I assume. Which isn't much.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Zero One posted:

Floatplanes looking pretty awesome.

I haven't played this in VR in a while, how is that working for people?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hannibal posted:

Floatplanes looking pretty awesome.

I haven't played this in VR in a while, how is that working for people?

Slowly. Even with a 3090, I've seen people having to compromise on the settings a bit to hit 45fps (which is then smoothed out to 90). My 5700XT does not fare so well. Maybe DX12 will offer some improvements. It could be a big deal if MS adds DLSS support. (not that it would matter for me)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Slowly. Even with a 3090, I've seen people having to compromise on the settings a bit to hit 45fps (which is then smoothed out to 90). My 5700XT does not fare so well. Maybe DX12 will offer some improvements. It could be a big deal if MS adds DLSS support. (not that it would matter for me)

3090/Reverb G2 is amazing, but ya you have to play with settings to make it run.

Worth it though.

Does DLSS work in VR? That would indeed be pretty killer for MSFS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MrYenko posted:

3090/Reverb G2 is amazing, but ya you have to play with settings to make it run.

Worth it though.

Does DLSS work in VR? That would indeed be pretty killer for MSFS.

Yeah, there are several games that make use of DLSS in VR now. There was some concern about the algorithms upscaling the two separate images in ways that they don't exactly match (which is bad for VR), but it seems to work pretty well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're now claiming that even the XSX can do better framerates than my Threadripper + 3080? Ah gently caress off with this bullshit.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How does that even make any sense? lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At least with the ostensible 4K real-time captures on PC they could weasel their way out of it by claiming some esoteric computer configuration, but no loving way these were real-time captures on the XSX. I mean, there's gonna be DirectX 12 in the same breath, but I doubt that'll do much, if there's such inherent issues like glass displays trashing frame rates. Or the loving VFR button (yes, button, not opened map) just being there dropping your frame rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Has there been anything new on the helicopter expansion for Flight Sim?