Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah I had a burizazon in the 1.09/1.10 days and it was pretty good but obviously slow as poo poo. only ever got a windforce through botting but it was the best option for bowazons as far as I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
As I understand it once the ladder only runewords came out faith became king poo poo for bowazons.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Lord Bude posted:

As I understand it once the ladder only runewords came out faith became king poo poo for bowazons.

why would you make a Faith runeword for your amazon instead of making it for your army necro's mercenary?!?!?!?

(when were merc equip slots added? LoD?)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WITCHCRAFT posted:

why would you make a Faith runeword for your amazon instead of making it for your army necro's mercenary?!?!?!?

(when were merc equip slots added? LoD?)

Yes, in LoD, though faith was added in 1.11

And to answer your question, I don't see why it has to be one of the other? Faith would be excellent in either use case although I suppose you'd have to do the math on whether a faith merc is better than a desert merc with might aura and a pride polearm. But since you're only using one character at a time I don't see why you cant just move them around between whatever character you're currently using.

That being said I have no desire to ever play an army necro.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah summon necros have always been really boring to me. they're a little bit more exciting with the addition of blood warp but not by much

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
got plugy finally and started a windy druid, as i've never druided before. completely hilarious in nightmare

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hilarious in a good way or hilarious in a bad way?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

The Lord Bude posted:

Hilarious in a good way or hilarious in a bad way?

Hilarious as in everything that comes near me dies. Hurricane is silly. Tornado is sort of infuriating sometimes though.

I actually died like 10 minutes after posting that, in a doorway in countess tower with a room that had 2 separate archer groups with curses.

But now I've just found a 4 socket crystal sword in The Pit for Spirit, so this is about to get even dumber. I assume it'll be fairly easy until I start hitting physical+cold immunes in hell.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've never understood why Armageddon has to be so disappointing when compared to Hurricane. Although it deals more damage, it requires positioning and has a much worse radius. And isn't fire immune the most common immunity on Hell?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think it is yeah. and the weird distribution of the meteors makes it suck pretty hard as an actually useful damage dealer. my friend played a fire druid in season 1 of pd2 and just cast molten Boulder all the time, it worked pretty well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Armageddon is caught in this awkward position where it's too unreliable to be a primary skill, but requires too much recasting and investment to be a passive damage aura.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I liked how auras worked in D3, where they had a passive and a usable effect. Something that these two skills could benefit from in, say, a remake.

Shame that remake'll be made by Blizzard, and I'm not feeding them anymore of my money.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
oh god please not in this thread

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

My point still stands - I like that they gave passive skills an active as well, and some skills in Diablo 2 could certainly be made like that.

E:

The Paladin is my favourite class in D2 because of its animations and looks, but it's not exactly the most engaging when two thirds of its skills are completely passive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This is kind of getting broad but I actually disliked the way Blizzard moved into a combat model where things have to be active and triggered/intelligently pressed all the time. My favorite build in D2 was a Defiant Paladin and my favorite spec in WoW was the Prot Paladin specifically because you just crunched the math and it did all the work for you.

When they moved to later WoW expansions and Diablo 3 where you're supposed to have a "rotation", and not even a rote one, but something that requires you keep an eye on timers and triggered effects and chained combos, from a design perspective I understood why they thought that was better for player interactivity, but it wasn't really my speed.

Anyway, to bring this back to D2, one of the things they did do to make auras less of a purely passive effect was giving Holy Fire and Holy Freeze a direct-damage component, similar to what Holy Shock did. It's my understanding that with synergies, those are even powerful enough to at least carry a character into Nightmare, with Hell being of course more of a problem with all the immunes. I look forward to doing a Holy Fire Zealot in the remaster - you get to play with your main skill very early on, which means you can coast through Normal without having to bank skills until 30+, and even after the dude gets retired you can still use him to farm chippies and low-level runes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Holy Freeze uniquely dealing non-cold damage is satisfyingly abusable.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was it a technical (at the time) limitation or a balance one that you can spam LF, the clearly superior skill, but plague jav you gotta sit around and play with yourself if you don't wanna waste javs and mana on lightning immunes? And if you cast valkyrie, you also can't cast plague jav either! Wow!

Sorry, just burns my rear end

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is kind of getting broad but I actually disliked the way Blizzard moved into a combat model where things have to be active and triggered/intelligently pressed all the time. My favorite build in D2 was a Defiant Paladin and my favorite spec in WoW was the Prot Paladin specifically because you just crunched the math and it did all the work for you.

When they moved to later WoW expansions and Diablo 3 where you're supposed to have a "rotation", and not even a rote one, but something that requires you keep an eye on timers and triggered effects and chained combos, from a design perspective I understood why they thought that was better for player interactivity, but it wasn't really my speed.

Anyway, to bring this back to D2, one of the things they did do to make auras less of a purely passive effect was giving Holy Fire and Holy Freeze a direct-damage component, similar to what Holy Shock did. It's my understanding that with synergies, those are even powerful enough to at least carry a character into Nightmare, with Hell being of course more of a problem with all the immunes. I look forward to doing a Holy Fire Zealot in the remaster - you get to play with your main skill very early on, which means you can coast through Normal without having to bank skills until 30+, and even after the dude gets retired you can still use him to farm chippies and low-level runes.

yeah i agree, i dont like the playstyle of having to hit a bunch of different buttons at appropriate times, especially in an arpg where there's already a ton of poo poo happening on the screen. i think paladin in general is in a pretty good spot

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It possible at all to do a hybrid jav/bowzon even if it's just 20 in strafe for light/pois immunes? Assuming money was no object. I had the bright idea to try it with a hellrack and respecced for it but it's just too slow even with 2 shaels. Wasted a pul on that piece of crap. I'm still doing 27k with the plague and somehow despite taking a hit to damage LF fucks up mobs surprisingly well; I have no clue how this skill works. I kept getting hung up on gloams in the icy cellar because that's about as far in the game as I can do by myself and while it gives me something to do while my valk/merc die or sometimes kill, it feels definitely like I'm pissing in the wind. Really it's the Hell lords that give me poo poo. The poison's just too slow lasting and they're LI.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it a technical (at the time) limitation or a balance one that you can spam LF, the clearly superior skill, but plague jav you gotta sit around and play with yourself if you don't wanna waste javs and mana on lightning immunes? And if you cast valkyrie, you also can't cast plague jav either! Wow!

Sorry, just burns my rear end

All cooldown skills sharing a cooldown is an engine limitation, but as to why plague jav has a cooldown at all in the first place... :confused:

maybe if you could spam it freely all the clouds on the screen would be laggy for computers back in the day?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The 29th is going to mark the 21st anniversary of this game's release. Holy poo poo where did all that time go?

I wonder if Blizzard will try to release the Remake on the same day.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Jimbot posted:

The 29th is going to mark the 21st anniversary of this game's release. Holy poo poo where did all that time go?

I wonder if Blizzard will try to release the Remake on the same day.

Without a beta being released yet I'd imagine we won't see it then, but an announcement of some sort makes sense.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
they're too busy sending C&Ds to the people who cracked and modded the alpha

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I've been reading Book II of David L Craddock's Stay Awhile and Listen (which is very good, and you should read it and the first book if you haven't), and he talks about how Blizzard North almost lost the whole game when one of the servers crashed.

quote:

One evening in the late spring of 2000, a developer rushed to Huang's desk, panicked. One of the new hires had pulled out a drive in Blizzard North's network—the drive that contained the crucial files. Huang got hold of the drive and reinserted it, only to discover it had been fried. To make things worse, the drive had also contained the server's operating system.

[...]

The plan, a Hail Mary, depended on the resourcefulness of Blizzard North's team. While a universal version of the game existed, most developers had been backing up code and audiovisual assets on their local computers. The bosses, Huang, Rick Seis, and other senior-level developers began the painstaking process of piecing the game back together bit by bit.

"This meant, finding the guy with the most recent full build and make that the build," said Rick. "All others, mostly programmers, needed to remember what they changed, and do a [comparison against] the new build. So, if you can imagine, a bunch of people checking in and out code to get their stuff in—it's a bit of a mad house and programmers dealing with code merging conflicts which is super annoying." At the end of a long shift that lasted several days, the game had been rebuilt. There was a consequence, though not one that would take on any importance until decades later. According to the three bosses, most of the root code and a majority of the assets had been lost. The files gleaned from one developer or another had been backups of backups, not originals—like recovering a photograph after a fire rather than the digital file of the photograph. This meant that Diablo II would release in late June as expected, but a re-release down the road—say, in the late 2010s, when high-definition remasters for contemporary operating systems like Windows 10 were all the rage—would be next to impossible.

Has Blizzard said how they managed to get Diablo II Resurrected working? Did they recover the original source code somehow, or did they just reverse-engineer the whole thing?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

So I've been reading Book II of David L Craddock's Stay Awhile and Listen (which is very good, and you should read it and the first book if you haven't), and he talks about how Blizzard North almost lost the whole game when one of the servers crashed.

Has Blizzard said how they managed to get Diablo II Resurrected working? Did they recover the original source code somehow, or did they just reverse-engineer the whole thing?

Code isn't the problem. It's not having original high res assets to use, so all the art in the remaster is completely new.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah exactly. Even with those issues, they still have the source code to the final build of D2 that released. They can build the remaster off that; lacking the earlier development builds isn't really a huge problem.

But as dis astranagant said, they lost the art so they can't just create easy up-res versions of the original assets.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah exactly. Even with those issues, they still have the source code to the final build of D2 that released. They can build the remaster off that; lacking the earlier development builds isn't really a huge problem.

But as dis astranagant said, they lost the art so they can't just create easy up-res versions of the original assets.

Which to be honest is probably the ideal situation here, because making them create new art has ended up with incredible results.

I do hope that soon after they release this they actually release a version where they fix a lot of the major bugs (because I know the initial release they won't, due to shrieking and wailing from people). It'd be nice to, say, actually have the AR bonus from arrow skills work. And not have certain skills become useless because of NextDelay fuckery. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol nothing will change

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am willing to buy d2:r for the simple fact that 4:3 aspect, 800x600 res gives me a drat headache on a 16:9 screen after playing for any reasonable amount of time. If they were even capable of modding the aspect of the base game to be non-stretched 16:9 I'd buy that by itself. I guess I'll have to take a decently faithful 3d render.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kazvall posted:

I am willing to buy d2:r for the simple fact that 4:3 aspect, 800x600 res gives me a drat headache on a 16:9 screen after playing for any reasonable amount of time. If they were even capable of modding the aspect of the base game to be non-stretched 16:9 I'd buy that by itself. I guess I'll have to take a decently faithful 3d render.

Isn't there also a fan-made mod/patch that lets you play Diablo 2 in HD? (From a quick search, I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngZKVVAtDHo)

Regardless, I might do the same thing, because on top of the visual changes, it seems like there's some nice QoL changes, the biggest stand-out to me is a larger storage chest. Plus, the remaster I assume ties in with modern Battle.Net, as opposed to the original, which (from what I was told) uses a different system/login.

dis astranagant posted:

Code isn't the problem. It's not having original high res assets to use, so all the art in the remaster is completely new.

I see. The book made it sound like maybe the source-code was sort of 'lost', so I thought it was a matter of getting the game running properly on modern OSs (which in retrospect, was pretty dumb of me, considering I tried playing it yesterday, and it ran fine, and I'm using Windows 10 :downs:) Thought maybe it was going to be like Diablo 1, where someone would have to reverse-engineer the code.

Honestly, I don't particularly care for the new visuals. I don't think they look bad, mind you. Looking at the comparison images on the D2: Respawned site, the updated visuals look sort of bland or murky, maybe because of the lighting. The originals graphics have a bit more definition to them, but then that's probably because it's sprite art versus 3D render. The enemies also sort of blend into the background, instead of popping out, maybe because of the overall color palette. The lack of interpolation in the original's animations also added to the creepy vibe.

Again, it doesn't look bad, and knowing the original art assets were lost, it makes sense they couldn't get it to look 1:1. It seems like they replicated things pretty well overall. I just have some quibbles with it. From what I saw (briefly) in a stream, it looks like you can toggle between the old new visuals on the fly.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm sure they have tweaked a lot of stuff based on feedback from the alpha. Graphically speaking. I hate hate hated the quick turn animation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

Isn't there also a fan-made mod/patch that lets you play Diablo 2 in HD?

There's a few. There's one where a guy wrote a glide .dll wrapper to render the game using a custom pipeline and it handles other resolutions. Then there's some mods/patches to the game that just enable other resolutions.

Its definitely doable on modern windows, although running at a higher resolution means necessarily zooming out since the art assets are all rendered to the same resolution regardless, so you see much more of the world but everything is smaller.

The new art looks so good but I am so loathe to give blizz my money at this stage :/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

The new art looks so good but I am so loathe to give blizz my money at this stage :/

Then don't. Be strong and don't give in to them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
the killer feature is running at higher than 20whatever fps -- it's so jarring how the world renders on an lcd

the anti-feature for the alpha is load screens between areas in the same act and pretty bad lit & cold effects.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a few. There's one where a guy wrote a glide .dll wrapper to render the game using a custom pipeline and it handles other resolutions. Then there's some mods/patches to the game that just enable other resolutions.

Its definitely doable on modern windows, although running at a higher resolution means necessarily zooming out since the art assets are all rendered to the same resolution regardless, so you see much more of the world but everything is smaller.

glidewrapper sucks because it makes your mouse cursor jump like crazy when you open/close in-game ui windows with the settings you'd actually want to use (different resolutions). Even if you spend forever tinkering with window border padding, all the glidewrapper settings, etc, the cursor still drifts.

The widescreen mods that are good don't zoom out. 1068x600, for example, is just 800x600 but you have more horizontal view distance. It looks good scaled to 1440p, 800x600 does too if you play in a 1600x1200 window. "good" being relative because d2 had dated graphics on release 20+ years ago.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 13, 2021

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Sept 23 release, open beta for preorders. Holding preorder access for preorders is kinda lame but given how good the Alpha was, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

The widescreen mods that are good don't zoom out. 1068x600, for example, is just 800x600 but you have more horizontal view distance. It looks good scaled to 1440p, 800x600 does too if you play in a 1600x1200 window. "good" being relative because d2 had dated graphics on release 20+ years ago.

This is an issue of semantics. I thought it would be clear from context with how I explained myself, but "more horizontal view distance" == "zoomed out"

I specifically said the resolution of assets remains the same, but their relative size gets smaller with higher resolution screens. I don't know how much else I can explain that dude.

Also I strongly disagree, D2's assets look great even today. They have a really strong visual style. The new art is gorgeous though, if only because higher frame rate and real-time lighting.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I cant do some hd patch because the fun I have is from playing hardcore on ladder. There is no greater thrill in life than d2 hardcore.

I hate the idea of systematically collecting items to hoard like a dragon. For hardcore I enjoy every moment of playing, and when I die it is like a wondrous release from material possessions. All about the journey, yo. And being top of the leaderboard, for however long.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I specifically said the resolution of assets remains the same, but their relative size gets smaller with higher resolution screens. I don't know how much else I can explain that dude.
Their relative size doesn't get smaller though. Imagine fullscreen non-stretched. If you fullscreen 800x600 there are black bars. If you fullscreen 1068x600 there are no blackbars but the height and zoom remain the same. You can see farther to the right and left but that's it.

The HD mods with higher resolutions than that do tend to zoom out and aren't great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I dunno on my machine if I run smaller resolutions it stretches it to fill the monitor, it only puts in black bars to fix the aspect ratio being off. So that means things get zoomed out if you use higher resolution by comparison. Lots of games work that way with windows.

I mean, yeah I guess running at the lowest possible 16:9 resolution works like you're saying but that's again basically the point. You have to force it, it doesn't handle high native resolutions well.

Then its less "the good mods don't zoom out" and more "it doesn't zoom out if you don't increase the resolution" which... yeah dude. That goes without saying. That's not the mod though, that's basically just ignoring half of the problem.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kazvall posted:

I cant do some hd patch because the fun I have is from playing hardcore on ladder. There is no greater thrill in life than d2 hardcore.

I hate the idea of systematically collecting items to hoard like a dragon. For hardcore I enjoy every moment of playing, and when I die it is like a wondrous release from material possessions. All about the journey, yo. And being top of the leaderboard, for however long.

I cant imagine playing hc in an arpg especially one that can be as ruthlessly cheap as diablo, but I think I might make a character this time around just to try. I think I'm too careless to be cut out for it though, but we'll see how it goes. I wonder how long the novelty of the new version will keep the monotony of the late game grind at bay.