Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Apple apple apple, there, blue one like a sapphire get it, eat it nearly spit it back out and gag but I get it all down. The sap is overwhelming, medical sweet as it begins to resonate with my biology's tether to Mana. It forces me to remember the process of bubblegem magic restoring strength and feeling to my wounded bones.

(Bubbleblood Magic) 12 - [2]+[3]+[3] = 8 - Success By 4.
(2d+4 Healing) [3]+[5] = (8+4) 12 HP Healed.
HP: [ 19 / 19 ] [Max!]
FP: [ 12 / 14 ] [No FP Spent]

[The Silver Mind is reviled.]
[Your Magic is awake.]
[Bubbleblood spell has improved to II.]

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

I clench my hand around the flow of Mana, feeling it kick like a mule as I draw it out of the tree I run by. I go from a limping shamble to a full darting run, up the stairs with a military pace as I try to get ahead of the uncontrollable flow of thoughts roaring through me.

Cold posted:

Yan'Tyr is evacuated. The team that they tried to dreamshuttle after her didn't make it. That entire wing is locked down now, Agents doing their best to hold out for backup while dealing with their fiery prong of the fourway threat. The Duke and Ulthar had insisted on staying around, knowing that there wasn't anything here that could meaningfully threaten them. Just when she thought she could stay on standby, she got a call. It was Amey. They have bad news; D-21 has breached containment. You're not sure why that's remotely important until he clarifies that 21's medical report has come back during the chaos. It's been flagged as being of interest to Dark. Marshall personally sent down the order;

Acquire asset at all costs.

I catch the corner of a turn to stop myself, just as a bullet flies past. It wasn't for me; something to my right makes a noise like a paper balloon going off and I've spun the other way to take another corridor. Waves of violence undulating. My senses are still stinging; eye water, nose can smell chemicals and fires and flowers, ears red from a dozen aural threats I can't identify. I need any kind of weapon, any kind of idea of where my stuff is, any sort of direction to an exit. I know what I need to do to have that, and I can already feel it telling me no.

[The Silver Mind is reviled!]

But I'm not going to die blundering down linelit wooden halls with their beautiful blackdoor stalls. So I walk again. I raise my fist, and I make the demand of midnight. The Silver Mind tries to worm away from my intentions.

(!Tyranny) 17 - [2]+[2]+[6] = 10 - Success.

There, crushed still in my grip, gravity pulling it into my orbit. The Silver Mind's infinite reflection. First, I demand it tell me where those minds are; the icydeep one, snow and cold and moss. The obsidian one, stone hard old and steeped in ivory words.

(!PSI ESP Dark a) 11 - [2]+[5]+[2] = 9 - Success.

There. In the pure reflection. I look through the mural of thoughtful colors surrounding me, and I find the icydeep one closest by. That'll have to do. I keep the silver lashed to my fist and start to race for the thought, struggling to keep speed with caution. Down some stairs. Through narrow doors into shortcut passages. Past a break room or two, judging by the screams. Into another huge double door. Leap a railing, stick the landing, and then take off to a left past some more globes full of bright apples. So many goddamn apples.

Which is exactly what I need when I find the blue-color mind. She's right there in an adjacent lobby, alone, hand on a circlet while she speaks quickly and looks around with her back to me. I lean down and race in.

(DX - Trick It) 11 - [1]+[4]+[1] = 6 - Success.

Run. Slip and grab a humming gray apple from a branch. Come back up into a dash, throw the apple as hard as possible. Watch it smash into the glass of a little reception booth with all the fury of a cannon. The icydeep mind turns with a magic firearm aimed at the apple, realizes it one second too late, spins to aim at me but I'm already there there RIGHT THERE WITH MY HAND GRIPPING HER HEAD.

(T͜he Si̧l̶ver͝ Go̷ne̶ ͏D̶ark) 11 - [3]+[6]+[2] = 11 - ...Success.

Everything. Reflect everything, and hold its weight in a single frozen moment. Camera flash ultimabright. Show me everything, and then burn it all down to what I need. Even if it fries her brain from every neuron being forced to remember at once.

I pull taut with all of my will, and fight to shred through thought and demand my survival. This one has to know.

(My Will.) 19 - [1]+[4]+[6] = 11 - Success by 8.
(Her Will.) 16 - [4]+[3]+[2] = 9 - Success by 7.

I let go and exhale. The dryad icydeep stares off into space, still trying to think through the blinding silver gone suddenly black, gun aimed at air. I quickly think on the fading images flashed into my memory. Where...

(PE - Where?) 13 - [2]+[5]+[6] = 13 - Success.

THERE.

I have it all in my thoughts. Where my things are being kept. The access code. The layout. The escape. There's more there I should know, but don't NEED to- something about a Dark? Priority one? It's all gone. I only looked for what I thought I'd need before I reflected, and that's enough to survive with. I run past the dryad and vanish back into the endless corridors.

I'm already close to where my things are, and the reflection tells me I'm going into another dangerous situation. The wing I want is transient storage, where acquired belongings are sorted and repacked for resale or lockup. Getting to the wing's entrance is easy with the reflection's lead, racing up three flights of stairs to what I now know is ground level. But as soon as I come out of the stairwell I'm set upon by a group of Agents, who barely sight me from far down the left hall. I race to the right and into a containment area, past which are the doors to storage.

I look at the containment cells, listen to the shouts of the approaching Agents, and think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
JAILBREAK!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This is probably a terrible idea, but I admit I've always liked the Third Trumpet theme. Let chaos reign.

Also, Bubbleblood heals a full extra die of HP on a success now, which is actually quite a big deal. I really don't like what's happening to the Silver Mind, though.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 14, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Haven't we seen The Silver Gone Dark before? Isn't that what pops up when Tyrant takes full control of it?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I think so, but we've now mindfucked two individuals, which we've never done before. Of course it's reviled.

And do you even need to ask? Of course, unleash everything. Maximum chaos.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

If it's good enough for An Arbiter, it's good enough for us.

Free every last one of them.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Life's A Beach When You're The Breach

Yank open one chamber door at random, and keep going. - 4
Open a lot of chamber doors, taking more time, but giving them more trouble. - 22
Ignore the containment units and book it, hoping to outrace pursuit. - 2

...LOADING

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Hm.

Is Kaigen the Emperor of Heaven? I think she was referred as a wolf somewhere or another, so it would make sense I guess.

Also good to know that the Island likes people who love to blow up stuff, I guess.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can think of a lot of uses for Might in a peaceful kingdom. Construction, demolition, Emergency First Responders, resource gathering/harvesting... really, "big and strong" are two of the more useful traits to have in a post-apocalyptic (post-post-apocalyptic?) setting when it comes to general survivability of a kingdom.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I start pulling doors. It shouldn't be possible, but I still have the Silver Mind crushed in my hand. My third eye is bloodshot wide. I know every trick to every one of these cell openings, dragging the ambient reflections of consistent thoughts that permeate each place. I just step right into the habits of countless minds before.

I'm going to damage the psychic neurons if I keep pushing them like this. But soon I won't need them, and the Silver Mind can lick its tarnish in peace. Just a little bit longer. I focus instead on tearing open doors as fast as the stretch of my arms will allow. I don't even look at what's going to come out - just the nameplate, the hall behind me, and the way ahead of me as I work from stall to stall.

D-117 'The Murdering Space'
(I can't let it know it was I who set it free.)

D-20 'Carcosan Festival Knight'
(So many sickly-sweet silks. Awful.)

M-86 'Ocean Sensation'
(Just ignore its ceaseless psychic signal.)

C-490 'UHSOM'
(Lives up to the legacy of its name.)

U-261 'Apples'
(APPLES)

I don't have time for anymore than that. The last one floods the hall with thousands of apples, which I need to rush ahead of before I get blocked off and caught with the nightmares I've just unleashed. I reach the doors with a psychic assault hot on my tail, blocked when I slam them shut before it can become a dangerous thought. My arms hurt. I have to hurry. I have to rearm myself.

There are already screams behind me.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]

I keep walking. Past the reception. Side door for Agents. Put in her password, 'TheLastThingFrankieToldMeWasToRelax1997'. Reflection of the icydeep color manages to fool the psychic scan. Pass right down the hall to get access to processing. That was where she knew it was last; all my belongings. I contain my anticipation and measure my steps, thinking carefully to make sure that the Silver Mind shows no reflected thoughts nearby. All the Agents were called to containment. I'm the only one here. Think. Think in the reflection, past its tarnish.

(PE) 13 - [4]+[2]+[6] = 12 - Success.

Of course. The Superevent marked boxes; black with gold. Dozens of them, but only one could possibly be my things. I keep looking over them under the rich of amber lights and soft of dark carpeting. I get my first sign of success, but it only makes my fist clench harder.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][80%]

This must be the Moloch Buster. But I can't get to it. The case it's locked inside of is heavy and powerful, and nothing in the Silver Mind reflects how to open it. Someone else took case of it during processing. I slam my fist into the case, nearly mauling it with bloodburnt gravity. I stand and curse and think, my demand for survival strength starting to overwhelm me. I'll just have to carry the case until I find a way to open it.

I need my suit, now. I need my sword. I start to search again, and I can only imagine how much time I've bought before the chaos finds me. It's so loud.

I could risk slowing down enough to see if there's anything I can take.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Hopefully the monsters will be trapped between the agents and the apple-flow, which will buy us a bit of time while they fight. And there are a lot of potential rewards here. I still wouldn't want to go slowly, but I'm OK with going steady.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Black August posted:

TheLastThingFrankieToldMeWasToRelax
Frankie Goes To Hollywood? I'm surprised they were a thing in the post post-apocalypse.

I voted for steady as well. I'm sure we could get away with slow given a bit of luck and the chaos we caused earlier, but I'm kinda worried about what else we may do the the Silver Mind if we do get burned on the rolls.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Search slowly, looking for everything useful - 6
Search steady for anything immediately useful or easy to carry - 27
Search FAST, only for what looks most valuable or useful - 1

Sirens are starting to wail. It's going down.

Can't care about that now. Come on. There has to be something I can use. Anything.

So many boxes... but I know I have enough time to be methodical-quick instead of manic-quick. Pull box, force open, look through, shove aside, next box. Repeat five times. Ten times. A dozen times. Two dozen times. So many are filled with junk; one with golden grass. Another of rocks ran through with a dark magenta gemstone. Too many brimming with vials of translucent pink liquid. No good, no good, GIVE ME SOMETHING GOOD. Go and go and go and go and here here finally; a ruined small blade of raw rust, but you don't pack a worthless blade with so many careful plastic safeties unless it was threatening something.

[Acquired 'Rusty']

Don't stop. Keep moving. Dump another box. Listen for anything approaching. Screams and the sounds of feet making applesauce. Metal on metal. Gunfire. The hum of Mana conducting through bodies. Open another box - there, among hundreds of loose threads, one that sparks and glitters.

[Acquired 'Thunderthread']

Got so many more to go, still nothing useful I can find without a more thorough search. The sirens are louder. My Tyranny grows pitch on my mind and I begin to throw the containers in a rage, demanding the weight of killing concrete to scar my palm, ripping the cheap fabric of the disgusting jumpsuit they forced on me. Stripped me... TOUCHED ME... put this GARBAGE ON ME. The moment I have the Moloch Buster on my arm I-

The Ocean Sensation posted:

Did you know there are more than FIFTEEN worker deaths per DAY? Fifteen completely preventable deaths!

-no no no stop that. I can't have psychic interfer-

The Ocean Sensation posted:

How preventable? Why, as preventable as a installing proper fall protection! Having reliable communications! Good respiratory guards! Functional ladders! Robust training! Not installing a lath-

STOP IT!

(T͜he Si̧l̶ver͝ Go̷ne̶ ͏D̶ark) 1̸1͜͝ ̵͏- ̡[̀͝5̕]͜+̶́[͏̷͢5͞]̶̛+[̧̀4̨]͞ ̷̢͝= ͏͝͡1͝4̛ - ̢͝F͘A͘IL͜͞U̶͏R̴͟͞E̵.́͜ Y̵͜͠O̶̢U̡ ̛U͡͠͠SE̛͞L̕͢ES̵Ś̡ ̀F̧͏͘A͘͢͟I̛L̵͞U͟҉͞R̷͝É͝!.̸̢̨

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9̕͝0͜%]

NOW? NOW IS THE TIME YOU DECIDE TO BE WEAK?? TO FAIL?! YOU...

(!Tyra͏nny̧)͟ 1̴7 - [̛2҉]+͏[͜4̢]͝+[4] = 10 - Success.

FICKLE, UNRELIABLE, FEEBLE MENTAL SHITSTAIN OF AN EXCUSE FOR POWER. I'll bury you. Burn you. Blacken you.

NOW. WORK.

[-4 HP]
[-4 FP]

HP: [ 11 / 19 ]
FP: [ 11 / 14 ]

(The Silver Mind Was Given No Choice) - s̢͘͟S̵u̷҉c̶͏͢c̷̕̕C̵͡Cc̴͜͠E͟Sss̨s̡̛͡

THERE. The noise is gone and you've OBEYED AND MADE YOURSELF USEFUL IN THE ONLY WAY THAT'S WORTHWHILE.

I crush it in my hand. I rend ìt i̵n̸ ͘my m͝i͠nd. ̛R̀ip̀ ̕ìt,̵ sca͟r̷ ͢įt̡, ̸s̶pi̴t͘ ̛oǹ ͡it́, ki̢ck̵ ͡it, ̕t͏h̶row it,̢ ͏M͜AKÈ ̷IT̵ ƯN̢D̸E̵R͢STAN̡D̸ ͘T́H͟AT L̷O͢S͡I̶NG THE NERVE WHEN THE SCYTHE IS KISSING MY HEELS MEANS I WILL GLADLY THROW IT TO THE VOID IF IT FUCKS UP Ȩ́V̡̛͘E͘R̶ ̀A̵̡̛G͟À̸I̵̶N̷͡͠.

I scream my frustration and lack of power at the gathered boxes. Too slow.

I clench my fist to bleeding, make them feel it.

(!Midnight) 15 - [1]+[6]+[3] = 8 - Success.

[-5 HP]
HP: [ 6 / 19 ]
FP: [ 11 / 14 ]

Success, because this power is infallible. This power sees my blood burned to ash in my veins, as the boxes are torn from the ground by gravity and smashed into the wall. And then smashed again. AND THEN SMASHED AGAIN. lovely. Stupid. USELESS. ALL OF IT. NOW SHOW ME WHERE THE THIEVES HID WHAT IS MINE.

...THERE. I see it! I see my sword, MY SWORD, my intent, my roadmaker. I scoop it up and just as quickly find my revolver. Yes. Finally. Another box, where... here. Right here at my feet, spilled and tumbled; the love of such filthy-worn fabric kissing my heels. My suit. Not the spice-scent lie of the supernatural silk no no no not now. Not now. Just this suit. The comfortable wear of the belt. The exact slip-on of the shoes. The sweet kiss of a well-knotted tie. There. There. Only the suits got the live. Only the suits didn't die. Stupid to not have a suit. I hear the chaos coming near and I'm shaking with anticipation of the price I'll exact for all this

I just... I need to calm down. I need to think. I just need to make sure everything else is here, yes, yes the pack right there thank God YES, the shovel, the rations, the Kadath suit bound up in a parcel, Red's SHROUD warm lovely silky shroud, good good good and look look look it's the weird cleaning robot, all nice and neat and mine again. Everything? Almost everything. I just need to find my Camp shirt. It gives me a second of comfort to think back to it, and how I overcame. I pat my pocket to pluck out the picture and-

Where is the photo.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9͠1͜%]

Where... it's not. Not in the pocket where I left it, where is- where are they? The shirt. The photo. Where did they put them come on come on I can hear it getting closer the sirens screaming where are they where did they...

(PE - where where where where) 13 - [2]+[4]+[3] = 9 - Success.

THERE! THERE! I see a polaroid! In a little plastic bag I RIP OPEN for trying to keep me out and I look again to see their faces, to see me there with them, there, inside the...

oooooh. Noooo. Noooo. Nooooooo. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No no no no no don't don't no stop no no that's a lie that's a lie pllleeeeassseee-

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9͜5҉%]

the back the back they wrote on it o̕n ͜t͘h͝é b͢a̧c͝k̛ ͠what did they write they wrote they wrote

'Reacted bad to demichemical analysis. Facial ID showed nothing. Produced by Superevent? Trash after second exam.'

it was real,
right?

it happened it did it had to

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9͜6̕%̶͢]

please tell me it was real it happened it was true please
red blue where are you
you have to tell me it was real
where did you go where is the girl with the cobweb hair orange crabs she said it was real please

please please please it was real it had to be real I didn't imagine it PLEASE PLEASE

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9̛̕҉7%̴͜]

dont start crying
stop stop she will hear me and get so MAD
no no no please not now please not right now
ill die
theyll come to tell me it was all fake and that im going to die i dont want to die
pleaaaaasssSSSSEEEEEE

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9̛͟8̡͝͏%]

someone
please

T́Y͟R҉̸̨A̧N̷N̢͡Y: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][9҉9̴̧%̕̕]

tell me it was real

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

S̨͟ì͜l̛v̶͝èr̴̶ ̴I̢͘n͜ ̛̀M͞ì͜d̷͠ņ͜i̕gh̨͢͠t̸̷͟ posted:

Cassandra has faced death plenty of times. Enough times that she was permanently deformed by it, changed by it, made intimate with the heartbeat sway of the scythe's advance. But even that scarring exposure, day after day, did little to prepare her for the raw harvest she stood in.

'AMEY WHERE IS OUR BACKUP? WE HAVE SIX DEAD, THREE COMPROMISED, TWO LIVING, FOUR BREACHES ON TOP OF US!'

Still no answer from the psychic circlet, which is already fighting for its life to block out the now-free Ocean Sensation. Two of the Agents have died to it, driven mad by the thousands of violations the facility is made up of. She throws another firebomb, not even caring about how badly her salary was being reduced for the property damage. Backup from the dream should have arrived the second the request was sent, but nobody had come more than an hour into the breach.

Her circlet begins to cool on her head, which means an incoming thought. One more firebomb is thrown before she slams around a corner, leaping over a trip of apples, to hide from the wicked bladesight of the Mythos-faithful Knight.

'Amey?!'

Their returned thoughts are succinct, exhausted with resignation. 'I know, Cass. The breach isn't salvageable. They're abandoning the facility until it blows over. We have direct orders from Marshall to only detain D-21; all other assets, including living, are secondary.'

Her stomach drops. She was used to being expendable and a tool. But to hear MC&D completely abandon every single employee and item of interest just to acquire one asset...

'Cass, stop thinking and listen. Duke Sauber and Ulthar are close to your position. Try to fall back to them to buy some time. Stay away from the west entrance; Merkja is somewhere in that area. The lower levels are already radioactive slag. If you get out, don't go into the woods; Kaigen's entire pack is picking off anyone fleeing. If you can find Crocell, stick with her. I'll think at you once I know more. I'm gone.'

Just, how?! Kaigen turning on the company, berserk nuclear cultists attacking, the former Hierarch of the Run being caught and escaping, a multi-mass containment breach; the sheer improbability of it all at once overwhelms her usual fire-fast thinking. But at least she has a plan to follow. The Knight would fall to the UHSOM eventually, or choose to retreat and try to drag some part of the facility into Carcosa's corpse. The Murdering Space will stay where it is until the chaos clears and it can hunt, but that wasn't much comfort while still trapped indoors.

Fall back to the Duke and the cat. That was all she has to do. Touch that homebase and no other player on the board can even approach.

But in retreat Cassandra realizes something is wrong; her footsteps are growing heavier and harder to take, as though a great current was gently pulling her back.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

Fall back to the Duke and the cat. That was all she has to do. Touch that homebase and no other player on the board can even approach.

Heh. Hehe. HehehehehehehehehehehahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Oh man I hope she sees us in our dapper suit and lives long enough to tell Deimos who EXACTLY caused the base to go to hell in a handbasket. So not only are Merkja and the werewolves here (was she the Hierarch of the Run or was that someone else?), but also Burner's cult, and they are PISSED. And the people she's fleeing to are the ones who would be able to tell exactly who we are at a sniff. I'm genuinely not sure if her day could get any worse at this point.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

You know i am not even going to touch on the fact that we seem to be irrationally afraid of smiercia (what can she even do? Kill us? A lot of things can do that), but the part that baffled me was that we apparently managed to form an attachment to a moloch buster which i don't think we even took out of it's crate even once?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

For reader clarification: Śmiercią has made the very real threat that if the character does not acquire the souls of the Lords, then she will tear their soul apart and erase them from existence. No afterlife. If the character dies at any time, Śmiercią is waiting to immediately murder their soul.

The Moloch Buster is incredibly powerful, and the character is motivated beyond reason by a need for power in order to survive the impossible and fulfill Śmiercią's demand. The character saw and understood what it was before it was locked up during their imprisonment; they are currently in a very scary and powerless situation, but unable to use the superweapon. They don't like that.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I am curious as to what the reason is that Śmiercią is having us do her dirty work for her, beyond blaming us for her daughter's death and wanting to gently caress with us. Presumably she's one of the top powers in the setting, so why not pop over and scythe some lords up? Maybe this 'island' is something even she doesn't want to get tangled up in, or there's something protecting the lords directly from her.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Razakai posted:

I am curious as to what the reason is that Śmiercią is having us do her dirty work for her, beyond blaming us for her daughter's death and wanting to gently caress with us. Presumably she's one of the top powers in the setting, so why not pop over and scythe some lords up? Maybe this 'island' is something even she doesn't want to get tangled up in, or there's something protecting the lords directly from her.
I have to imagine there's some rules in place that keep the powerful entities of this setting from totally self-immolating in constant war. Rules that have probably been frayed now that half of the Dreamlands blew up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I feel like I missed something, but when/what happened with the Dreamlands anyways? Last time I remember us dealing with it, it was when we were the representative of Ulthar. I might have missed an update dealing with it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Randalor posted:

I feel like I missed something, but when/what happened with the Dreamlands anyways? Last time I remember us dealing with it, it was when we were the representative of Ulthar. I might have missed an update dealing with it.

Not a whole lot of solid information on what exactly happened. But I am pretty sure our little star boosted dream turned into a bad trip. A thermonuclear bad trip that managed to hit the rest of the Dreamlands, probably thanks to the Singer of Cadenza(sic).

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Don’t know if this will work, but…

It. Was. Real.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

There are almost definitely ways to restore that photo somewhere, somehow. Just put that on our list of things to accomplish? (Ask it as a favor from one of the Backup? Photography feels like it should in at least one of their wheelhouses)

In the meantime...:sympathy: for the Tyrant (and our normal PC? Do we have a name for them yet? The Singer?). Camp was real! We hae the stat boost on the character sheet to prove it!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Not a whole lot of solid information on what exactly happened. But I am pretty sure our little star boosted dream turned into a bad trip. A thermonuclear bad trip that managed to hit the rest of the Dreamlands, probably thanks to the Singer of Cadenza(sic).

Oh okay, so I didn't miss an update, just probably misread something in an update. So... giant tidal wave that led to us being in MC&D's Super-Happy-Fun-Box (well, at least WE'RE having fun :devil:) was probably from the Dreamlands going kaput?

Edit: And if we happen to catch up with our good friend Cassandra, can I just state that I personally hope we sing a specific line at her? :toot:"Run away, run away, run away and save your life. Run away, Run away, Run away if you want to survive.":toot:

Randalor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 19, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Well, that went to hell in a handbasket.

I am very afraid for what exactly this means for Our Hero's mind.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Suffered through a brief fever last night and this morning that has me wary, going to take it easy until tomorrow when we can resume.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Take your time. Hope you feel better.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Rubix Squid posted:

Take your time. Hope you feel better.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Vorpal posted:

When he feels it, he pays attention. When he bit his way to the top, the Duke learned the unending truth that there would always be something greater than him waiting out there.

Gravity weighs him down, pulling him towards its mass as the shadows of the cold halls turn pitch. Lights and sirens dim as the power fluxes under duress. He smells it clean; suffocating dream-like assurance that the gravity is angry, horror with mad, all-knowing and all-hating.

The Duke walks towards it, no longer able to stop himself. But he doesn't want to; something like this had happened before in a dream, and he's certain he recognizes the smell. It is a gift to be able to feel like this again; mighty with uncertainty.

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

Ulthar posted:

In a hall lit only by the glow of emergency white, there swims a cat in the ground. He meows once, showing his deference to his follower, a small and unconcerned kitten. The kitten cleans herself after the two had dealt with a large group of escaped products, which separated them from the Duke.

The cat which swims smells the air intently, because he knows that he scents someone important to Ulthar. His Ambassador is here, for reasons he could puzzle through but doesn't care to when he knows the answer will be the same. What matters is that the Ambassador smells of unacceptable stress, which has to be addressed.

He doesn't need to move when he swims. The gravity pulls him. The kitten follows.

ANXIETY: [10%]

Iron posted:

She's badly hurt. She's falling back. She realizes what's drawing her in after it's too late.

Sainthood would only go so far after the legion assault she's suffered. Being captured was draining enough; finding the iron to survive an escape given in a moment of miracle is a limit she isn't ready to break. She fights the despair boiling up in her tired arms, mind keen on the eerie silence of the alarming halls. Nothing to stop her from being dragged in after she fought for every inch on the way up; that was fearsome.

It's in that fear that she understands what it was she had felt earlier, a familiar evil scratching past her mind. It was silver. It was something that tricked and bit; shining shining shadow.
When did its teeth grow so dark?

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][40%]

Fire posted:

it was right there it was right there where is the exit going in circles it was right there everything getting dark keep tripping over the same body it was right there it was right there it was right there looking staring hating it was right there please please an exit please god it's so dark when it's dark it was right there right there right there did you see it RIGHT THERE

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][80%]

Ice posted:

When she wakes up from her blackout, she's walking sleep-shuffle down a dim hall. It's perfectly silent and her stomach is coiled in loathing. All the ice of her veins doesn't manage to stop the disquiet. Something happened, is happening, that is facility-ending. She knows she's been left to live or die as she can manage.

All she can manage to do is clutch her gun, and walk inexorably into gravity. She thinks of her old boss from her last life, the one who had won her Princehood and revenge. The now-dryad steels herself, and repeats what he'd have said the terror of the situation.

"Hardcore."

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

Might posted:

He paces incessantly. The attack is over; he called everyone back, scratching stone and wailing to the Moon in mourning of those who had died. But now his tears were a different hue, choking him with heart-tearing longing. He smells something now, FEELS something from inside the Emain Ablach. It's something that had been stolen from him, killed and crushed inside of him, made ash cold still inside the nightmare of two weeks ago.

But it was still alive in someone! It was still REAL! Hope strangles his strength, bringing him to the dark earth as he whispers and prays, pleading for its reality. His heart is beating so fast he cannot stand, only crawl with the weeping humility of a beggar.

Please. Please. Let the gravity be real. Let destiny live.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%]

Sun posted:

She is well out of range when she begins the ritual. Casted chunks of uranium, plutonium, thorium, and more. Murdering salts. Chemical flame paths. All of them to safely prepare and cast forward from her great height the most awful and final answer; to punish those who would steal her sacred wealth.

But then she feels it, shaking her from her wrath. Something midnight, a force stronger than nuclear within the distant fortress. It troubles her heart, the ritual evaporating in the moment of lost intent. She sits down on the grassy ridge and stares out into the moonlit world, and waits for the others to come find her.

She opens her robe, and stares down at her t-shirt. She doesn't think about why she hasn't thrown it away.

ANXIETY: [10%]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

When they all enter the shipping lobby at the same time, none of them are surprised to see each other, and no one speaks. They walk with an intent that is no longer their own. Agent and Saint share a heartbeat stare, agreeing instantly to alliance. The Duke kneels down to pet the kitten when he sees it and the swimming cat. All five look to the other end of the shipping lobby, where a large set of doors that lead into transient storage are opening. An Agent stumbles through, dry of armaments and badly hurt. She sees the others and begins to speak as fast as the pain allows.

"thhhthere there right there rightrightthere rightthere there you see it there"

Her mind is trying to form coherent sentences. The gravity makes her sick, nightmare with the need to warn them. The other Agent forces herself to rush forward and pull the wounded one to safety, back against the wall where she points to the pitch black of the door she escaped through.

"therethere tttHHHHERE THERE YOU SEE IT THERE RIGHT THERE LOOK LOOK"

The cat and kitten stay back, staring death-still. The icy Agent helps the wounded one to sit down behind them. The Saint stands with the Duke, wrapping a rag around a bullet wound; the Agent joins them as they all look.

They listen to the warning.

"DO YOU SEE IT? DO YOU? THERE! THERE THERE IT'S RIGHT THERE!"

Yes. They see it. There, there, right there; absence inside the pureblack.

Waiting.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I voted for Saint Merkja because I've forgotten who exactly Agent Crocell was.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
It's like watching Mob Psycho 100 all over again, except uh, without being a lighthearted anime about the power of friendship.

Black August posted:

What matters is that the Ambassador smells of unacceptable stress, which has to be addressed.

We just need to stroke the cat, that'll sort this all out!

Black August posted:

"Hardcore."

Seeing this puts a smile on my face.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
All that will last in the end is iron and gravity. Voted for Merkja.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted for the Duke. If there's anyone who would know how to calm down an all-destroying force of Chaos, it's someone who has a Legion of Sister Sisters to deal with.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Crocell was one of the agents in charge of our testing. Voting for the Iron Saint.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Voted Duke. I don't know whether this is to calm Tyrant down or to offer a sacrifice, but here we are.
Can hope for the best, but I'm not seeing a happy outcome here.
Bit too late for that, I think.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

Voted Duke. I don't know whether this is to calm Tyrant down or to offer a sacrifice, but here we are.
Can hope for the best, but I'm not seeing a happy outcome here.
Bit too late for that, I think.

I dunno, if we're voting for a sacrifice, then the agent working for the company that caused all of this would work nicely.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Razakai posted:

she mostly seems to come for those who are already dead, so it may be she has no power over them

either way, while it hasn't occurred to us and it might be hard to convince ourselves to do it, her plan to rip open Heaven with the power of the Lords is probably the path to the Hell End. we have to KILL Śmiercią

quote:

And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They walked towards the event horizon - they could not see its singularity

Duke Sauber - 11
Agent Crocell - 6
Saint Merkja - 13