Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pleease use this changeup to form unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
ptt becomes important when you have more than a small number of people in a call who actually speak on a regular basis. that’s very common in games but in business meetings if you have 40 people in a call it’s one person presenting and 39 people muted. if you have ten people it’s probably three people having a conversation and seven vaguely pretending to pay attention.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
stop having 40 person meetings

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

teams lacking basic poo poo like push to talk is some serious lol

Every consumer desktop mic should be this $30 Logitech thing I had fifteen years ago. It had a light-up 'Live/Muted' button on it. It was dead simple to instantly see your mutes status (the big round lit-up button), and it was easy as poo poo to use, being the only button, and big and smooth for 'oldes pleasure'.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Steelseries does that with their retractable mic, but mute is lit and hot is off :pseudo:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the headset work gave me for quarantine would shout "mute on" and "mute off" while muting the actual output every time you press the mute button on it. it also has an indicator light so maybe its just the worlds shittiest implementation of accessibility features

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jenny Agutter posted:

the headset work gave me for quarantine would shout "mute on" and "mute off" while muting the actual output every time you press the mute button on it. it also has an indicator light so maybe its just the worlds shittiest implementation of accessibility features
you can usually disable those (in software lol)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah i ended up doing that on my personal computer because ofc we're not allowed to install the management software on work computers. at least its smart enough to save the configuration on board.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Remember that Windows 10X SKU that was gonna fail on its own? What if we made that the next version of Windows

I hope it's more than just a rebadge of 10X but it is the Windows team so who knows :shrug:.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

since The Verge stole them off a Baidu forum post we might as well post them here

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
haha, the start menu is not only not in the bottom-left anymore but it's also not quite at the edge of the screen so you have to actually position the mouse to use it just like you did in like windows 95

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lamo icons in the centre jfc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

haha, the start menu is not only not in the bottom-left anymore but it's also not quite at the edge of the screen so you have to actually position the mouse to use it just like you did in like windows 95

did Windows 95 not do Fitt's Law for the entire bottom left corner? when did the actual button start extending beyond the image of the button?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i can't find a whole lot talking about it but yeah, iirc in windows 95 the start button was just a normal button widget placed as close as possible to the bottom-left corner, so it had a border which wasn't clickable. windows 98/me was visually the same thing but they hacked it so that the border also worked. vista had the weird circular icon but iirc the whole region actually counted, i dunno, i never used it much. i think xp was the first release to make the button visually go off the edge of the screen

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
can't wait for them to once again do the software equivalent of laying new tiles on top of the old ones and create a whole new set of ultra modern slick UIs that bring you back to the current windows 10 ones when you click "advanced options"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

since The Verge stole them off a Baidu forum post we might as well post them here

awful

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i guess this will mean yet another layer of completely different looking control panel windows randomly jumbled in with everything else including things that look like they've been unchanged since windows 95

i thought they weren't doing new windows versions any more? that windows 10 was the last one and they were just going to keep updating gradually?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows 10 being "the last windows" was never really stated in any official way, it was all based on an offhand comment by some guy.

i also don't really expect this to be much other than 21h2, likely a marketing move to quell any impression that microsoft has generally moved on from windows (plus generally to drum up some coverage).

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

rjmccall posted:

i can't find a whole lot talking about it but yeah, iirc in windows 95 the start button was just a normal button widget placed as close as possible to the bottom-left corner, so it had a border which wasn't clickable. windows 98/me was visually the same thing but they hacked it so that the border also worked. vista had the weird circular icon but iirc the whole region actually counted, i dunno, i never used it much. i think xp was the first release to make the button visually go off the edge of the screen

i think they fixed that as early as sp1, but of course those were still the days where most people would never install any updates. it was a strange oversight to make in the first place with how much time they spent on user testing and ui research and such for 95.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol @ stealing the centered mac dock but not understanding it at all

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

it's the loving worst

it feels like the only reason they're doing it is to distract from the fact that otherwise it's just a bland windows 10

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i also don't really expect this to be much other than 21h2, likely a marketing move to quell any impression that microsoft has generally moved on from windows (plus generally to drum up some coverage).

yeah that's what it looks like to me

calling this a "new" version might also let them squeeze out more money with licensing changes or some poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Last Chance posted:

not understanding that its a terrible design

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

not understanding that its a terrible design
satya.docx

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Last Chance posted:

don't worry, they couldn't even commit to that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that poo poo sucks too. the grid of icons with way too much spacing is the worst design failure in history

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bring back the drat windows 7 start menu. that was great

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
did they consolidate all the settings into one place yet?

it's been 9 years since Metro was first excreted

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Perplx posted:

did they consolidate all the settings into one place yet?

it's been 9 years since Metro was first excreted

Of course not

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-11/251968/windows-11-a-few-more-observations posted:

Oh, (in)consistency. Window enthusiasts have been looking for a more consistent UI for years. But the new look/feel in Windows 11, at least in this build, only extends to the Windows 10 UIs. So the other stuff—Control Panel, MMC, etc.—still looks old-fashioned and inconsistent. But the problem is not just that legacy UIs that most people will never see have been untouched: Some common UIs are still inconsistent. For example, when you use File Explorer in Dark mode and then open the Folder Options window, it appears in bright white. This is the kind of thing that drives people like me nuts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Perplx posted:

Of course not

that is true and also a pointless observation, windows betas have always been released with a mix of graphical elements as they're developed. it's just that in windows 8 and later they went final without ever finishing them

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

don't worry, they couldn't even commit to that

have they given up on the stupid app tiles thing? all that poo poo in the start menu was always terrible so at least that's an improvement

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Perplx posted:

Of course not

wow i forgot about paul thurrott lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
who?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
they're really pushing winUI and trying to do project reunion to try and get devs use it in every type of app since they went "oopsie actually no one wants to have all UWP apps" with the original winrt stuff afaik

so now you just have that shitshow mix of ui kits even in their own apps

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1404927889196339207

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

can't wait for all the best windows apps (irfanview, mpc, notepad++) to completely ignore this and continue to look identical to how they looked on windows 2000

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shala posted:

they're really pushing winUI and trying to do project reunion to try and get devs use it in every type of app since they went "oopsie actually no one wants to have all UWP apps" with the original winrt stuff afaik

so now you just have that shitshow mix of ui kits even in their own apps
They're just adding ui frameworks on top of ui frameworks at this point and confusing people even more.

I guess I still wouldn't rule out some version of winforms somehow winning by default.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mystes posted:

They're just adding ui frameworks on top of ui frameworks at this point and confusing people even more.

I guess I still wouldn't rule out some version of winforms somehow winning by default.

.NET 6 will at least attempt to resolve a bit of this from the developer side with MAUI: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-multi-platform-app-ui/

Result: now there’s 15 competing standards!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

For real though, I think .NET Core/now just .NET 5+ is actually good and MAUI has a good chance of settling in as the long-term default choice for when you want to write a .NET app with a GUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ThePeavstenator posted:

For real though, I think .NET Core/now just .NET 5+ is actually good and MAUI has a good chance of settling in as the long-term default choice for when you want to write a C# app with a GUI.

the MAUI team has, I believe, 9 people full-time working on the platform.

right now, I'm working on getting porting our XAML Hot Reload stack over from Xamarin.Forms to MAUI, and myself and a few others on my team are going to be moonlighting to help get more design tools working in the platform itself because otherwise, they won't get it done.

i think their idea is cool and I want it to succeed, but... yeah, it's rough.