Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Horseshoe theory posted:

Both Biden and Sanders are big fans of concentration internment camps, you say? :hmmyes:

Bad faith posting: 6 hour probation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
how many times have you been told but loud people do not like your posting. Ramp. PERMABAN.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bill! Bill! Bill!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Bill! Bill! Bill!

Bill maher the n-word guy

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

mama mia

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/drjessblatt/status/1403674165736050693

This is a cop bastard democrat who is probably going be the next mayor of NY pretty much advocating for firing 90% of teachers.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

watching the left get absolutely broken in two despite a global pandemic and the largest protests in US history is loving hilarious LMFAO

young people finally showed up -- and it was to elect Joe Biden

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

watching the left get absolutely broken in two despite a global pandemic and the largest protests in US history is loving hilarious LMFAO

young people finally showed up -- and it was to elect Joe Biden
Yeah that is kinda funny, lmao weak willed bastards

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

we always knew all the liberals wanted was a public figure they can sufficiently ignore at their breakfasts and dinner parties

it's not about ideology, it's about deniability

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/drjessblatt/status/1403674165736050693

This is a cop bastard democrat who is probably going be the next mayor of NY pretty much advocating for firing 90% of teachers.

the legacy of the 2020 protests is going to be more Black cops in government

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hatebag posted:

Bill maher the n-word guy

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

we always knew all the liberals wanted was a public figure they can sufficiently ignore at their breakfasts and dinner parties

The fact of the matter is Liberal Dem-only (typically boomer) voters didn't want to accept Bernie Sanders because when he took the stand to speak all he did was talk about what was going wrong with the country and how much people needed help.

This painted him as a yeller, a curmudgeon, and a combative guy who doesn't get results from his colleagues.

Meanwhile Biden takes the stage and says "everything was great until orange man," and reassures the voters that nothing was wrong before 2016 and everything will go back to 'normal'. The voters wanted to hear that, more than they wanted to hear that long and painful change would need to happen to equalize others' opportunities and healthcare and chances at planetary survival.

They wanted to be coddled.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Nichael posted:

Do you have coconut milk ice cream?

I have never heard of this but would love to learn more.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I’m blown away at the ease with which big Don managed to piss off all of America’s long time allies in just a few years. Even managed to convince his base to hate them too! And then turning them into fans of Russia, North Korea, etc. All under the guise of patriotism. It’s amazing when you think about it.

I mean that’s proper un-American stuff right there, the kind of allegiances that would be considered actual treason not too long ago and none of these clowns even realize it. And on top of all this they still think, without a shred of doubt, that they’re the good guys!

The more wrong they are, the deeper they have to dig in and the more insane they’re justifications become. All because they’re terrified of ever being wrong. I’m in awe.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The Dems themselves are doing hot potato. They know this country is doomed, it's about not being left holding the bag when it goes down but being adjacent enough to power to fundraise and keep back any leftists who might get in the way of that. Just the essence of irresponsibility.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

spacetoaster posted:

I’m blown away at the ease with which big Don managed to piss off all of America’s long time allies in just a few years. Even managed to convince his base to hate them too! And then turning them into fans of Russia, North Korea, etc. All under the guise of patriotism. It’s amazing when you think about it.

I mean that’s proper un-American stuff right there, the kind of allegiances that would be considered actual treason not too long ago and none of these clowns even realize it. And on top of all this they still think, without a shred of doubt, that they’re the good guys!

The more wrong they are, the deeper they have to dig in and the more insane they’re justifications become. All because they’re terrified of ever being wrong. I’m in awe.

my pet theory is the real ride-or-die chuds have a trail of wreckage from all the relationships they've destroyed over their beliefs. if they admit they're wrong, that means it's their fault they'll never see their grandkids again or their spouses left them, and that's too much personal responsibility for them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

the last major social welfare program created in the united states came from the lbj era lol

quote:

Today when politicians talk about reforming SNAP, Medicaid, or Medicare, we can be pretty certain they mean reducing benefits. But almost 50 years ago, politicians proposed, and sometimes won, social benefit reforms that actually made aid programs more comprehensive. And, as Richard P. Nathan explains, one important agent of this effort was none other than Richard Nixon.

Nixon was a well-known opponent of the expansion of federal benefits under Lyndon B. Johnson’s Great Society program. Years after he left office, his domestic policy chief recalled that Nixon thought the programs wouldn’t be able to fulfill their promise with African-Americans because he believed they were inherently less intelligent than whites.

Like his Republican counterparts today, Nixon framed his ideas about reform in terms of getting people to work and giving states flexibility. But, Nathan writes, he only called for greater local control over things like education, workforce training, direct social services, and law enforcement. Nixon believed transfers of cash and in-kind services were federal responsibilities, modeling them after Social Security.

According to Nathan, Nixon’s most ambitious effort was the Family Assistance Plan, a precursor of the concept of universal basic income, which promised to replace unpopular welfare and social services with a simple cash payment. He presented the idea as an extension of decentralization, allowing individual recipients to choose how to spend the money rather than providing services through a bureaucracy.

“The best judge of each family’s priorities is that family itself,” Nixon said.

Nixon also proposed requiring employers to offer health insurance, and transforming Medicaid from a federal-state collaboration to a fully federal program. Discussing his health care proposals, the president cited the precedents of the minimum wage, disability, and retirement benefits, and occupational safety and health standards. “Now we should go one step further and guarantee that all workers will receive adequate health insurance protection,” he said.

While many of the president’s proposals foundered, he did end up expanding the welfare state. Over the six years Nixon held office, Nathan writes, total domestic spending rose from 10.3 percent of the gross national product to 13.7 percent.

Why did a Republican president run domestic affairs this way? In part, it was a sign of the times. The New Deal consensus that heavy-handed government were basically necessary for the economy hadn’t yet broken down, and many people from both parties assumed that social programs would continue to grow.

After all, Nathan writes, Nixon’s health plan was a response to a single-payer, tax-funded plan offered by Senator Ted Kennedy. And when the president established an Urban Affairs Council immediately after his election he “charged his advisors to develop a bold program so that in later years people could not accuse them of being too cautious.”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BMarchetich/status/1403786727517425666

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"But the Biden administration — fixated on cultivating the Democrats’ razor-thin Senate majority and the coal mining sympathies of West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin — was wary of any language specifically clamping down on coal."
https://www.politico.eu/article/us-and-japan-g7-block-deal-on-coal/

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

If we’re going to sexualize a politician…does it have to be Andrew loving Cuomo?

Gross

It was to normalize him publicly trying to coerce sex (rape) people op

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

"doesn't align with activist sentiment on social media" Yeah that's the point of activism buddy, that it doesn't align with the current state of things so you're advocating for something different

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/USinTT/status/1404227576789454849

population of trinidad and tobago: 1.395 million

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NuclearHerbs/status/1404303639351418880

"actually there is more than one dose of vaccine in a single vial so the US sending 80 vials means more than just 80 doses"

loving Snopes-brain

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/USinTT/status/1404227576789454849

population of trinidad and tobago: 1.395 million

you cant make this poo poo up lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wait... how big the vial??? xbox????

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
take one down, pass it around. 79 vials of pfizer on the wall.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

US Embassy Piece Of poo poo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

80 vials sounds like the amount you would send if the amount was dictated by what one guy could carry in a portable freezer case on a commercial flight as a carry on bag. And if the objective was to make sure US-friendly politicians get it and no one else.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1404172177151254535?s=19

This wouldn't be happening if people just voted for Warren and she didn't have to send emails encouraging her supporters to impulse-adopt pets

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
breaking my toy poodles neck with my bfs nine iron and throwing its body in the garbage disposal kuz it was making me late for brunch. cya later fifi, enjoy the rainbow bridge bitch. literally. *cackles*

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
its a good thing covid is over otherwise they might adopt again only to murder again like trainee serial killers but with extra steps

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

gandlethorpe posted:

This wouldn't be happening if people just voted for Warren and she didn't have to send emails encouraging her supporters to impulse-adopt pets

"Shut the gently caress up, Donnie!" I screeched.

But it just didn't hit the same. :( RIP Donnie Darko Dec 2019 - Feb 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shipon posted:

She didn't praise Thatcher, she just said Thatcher was cold-blooded effective at what she was working towards and that she wants to do the same but for the left - basically she was correct.

That's an extremely generous spin on what she said. She said that Thatcher was an inspirational role-model who "left a dark mark on history," but saying that doesn't make any sense given there are plenty of other woman leaders you could come up with. My read on it is that she just sort of vaguely perceived Thatcher was an "important woman leader." I know she isn't approving of Thatcher's politics, but it also demonstrates a lack of understanding of how bad she is; there's no way in hell someone would say that about a more generally accepted Historical Bad Person.

I think that even the most generous look at these left-ish members of Congress basically shows an unwillingness to take any sort of concrete action. The complete absence of anyone even verbally expressing left-wing sentiment on issues has basically tricked a bunch of us into thinking that that matters more than it does.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dumb gently caress narcissistic lib takes responsibility for something they are in no way shape or form capable of being responsible for, gets bored/tired of it, destroys/kills it to absolve themselves of responsibility, and then vomits out words about how hard it was for them

i can't think of a more perfect example of the lib mindset

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thatcher hosed over Scotland, which is bad, but she also hosed over England, which is good.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Hi I'm Liz Warren and I give my dog a burrito for its birthday but in the video I give the dog its burrito while it's still in the wrapper.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/have-you-seen/2020/03/06/elizabeth-warrens-dog-steals-mouthful-burrito/4972985002/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol what the gently caress are they trying to do. let the dog win. you think a wrapper is going to stop a dogs stomach? get real.